HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Have You Noticed...

Old
01-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Taylor_14

vCash: 500
Have You Noticed...

Have you guys noticed that practically every single player on the team wears that black necklace with something written on it in white. I always watch the post-game interview on the flyers website and many players, (Richie, Carter, Lupul, Upshall, etc.) are all wearing them. Anyone know what or why...who maybe?

Taylor_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Chainsaw

I noticed it too...... I want one.

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 01:50 AM
DMBgags

Send a message via AIM to DMBgags
After a lil research... http://www.acesportinggear.com/necklaces.cfm

I might get one and not just because the Flyers wear them lol, I read good things about them.

DMBgags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 03:00 AM
qwertysac

yup, thats exactly it, phiten titanium necklaces. Richards put one on that game at the begining of the season where he had 4 assists, since then, half the team wears them.

i just got one off ebay, it's most likely a placebo effect more than anything. But hey, if carter and richards wear them while they play, i had to at least give it a shot to see if it improves my game

i should recieve it shortly and i guess i'll let you guys know how it went during this week after my first game with it

On a side note, this stuff started in baseball and now most mlb teams have custom ones. I was hoping the flyers would have some too, since so many of the players are wearing them now, but nothing yet.

Last edited by qwertysac: 01-10-2009 at 03:13 AM.
qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 03:11 AM
qwertysac

here's a bit more:

Necklace power

Most of the Flyers are wearing titanium necklaces - in practices, in games, in their everyday lives - after a suggestion from McCrossin. "They're supposed to take your aches and pains away and increase your energy, the same thing as old copper bracelets and magnets," the trainer said. "It's yet to be proven, but you know what? Mentally, it's working. Sometimes, that's the best way."

Mike Richards went on a scoring spree after he donned his necklace.

Richards and Scottie Upshall "swear by them," McCrossin said. "They keep saying it's the power of the necklace." There is mixed sentiment in the locker room. Joffrey Lupul said he had felt more tired since wearing his necklace, and Antero Niittymaki gave a less-than-enthusiastic endorsement.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sport...or_troops.html

It's all in the head

That's what most of the Flyers are saying about the black Phiten Titanium necklaces and bracelets many players are wearing these days. According to Jim McCrossin, some Flyers noticed baseball players wearing the necklaces and started asking about them.

Word is Mike Richards and Scottie Hartnell starting wearing them first; the first night Richards wore one while playing, he tallied four assists against New Jersey. The metal is supposed to provide a boost of energy and relieve muscle pain, but when you ask, the players all point to their heads and laugh.

"Four assists, come on," Richards said when asked if he bought into the hype. But others were a little more honest.

"It's a team thing," said goalie Antero Niittymaki, who can't wear his while playing because the clasps annoy him.

"I feel like a different person," said defenseman Kimmo Timonen, laughing. "I'm wearing it because everybody else does, to be a team."

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/spor...s_in_Iraq.html

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 03:30 AM
chaosof99*

The only thing I really hate about professional sports is the superstitions that are floating around

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 03:51 AM
Clown Baby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
The only thing I really hate about professional sports is the superstitions that are floating around
That and the herpes.

Clown Baby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 06:34 AM
decadentia

Quote:
It's been part of Hockey History probably since the beginning. I totally understand it, at such a high talent level...you have to take in effect the gods and spirits....why? just in case they do exist

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:03 AM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
that trancends to fans too. do you wear a certain jersey on game time? sit in a certain chair? like eating certain snacks during the game? snorting herion of the back of the same thai ladyboy? { my fave, hi quang) saying some ridiculous cheer?

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:31 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
That adds to the fun!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
I've always wondered what those were. Saw it first that I remember on Jays pitcher AJ Burnett...then this year on Carter.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 09:17 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
They're called Phiten necklaces. I have one, have had it for a couple months and so far my hockey team is 10-2 in that stretch and I have 9 points in 10 games. Say what you want, but I believe. There's also the less popular but same concept Trion-Z necklaces/bracelets.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:04 AM
turkinaa

I noticed that a lot of baseball players were wearing them (or something similar) this last season. I like to see the team bond with them even if it doesn't really give them supernatural playing and healing abilities.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:32 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 637
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Alot of baseball players wear them, i think like the whole Red Sox team has them. I havent noticed them on Flyers yet. I think they are gay though, its a shame it leaked over to hockey.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:33 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I love the superstition with sports. I think its pretty funny and neat how guys will wear the same underwear if they go on a scoring streak. I guess youre not a fan of the playoff beards either, when guys look pretty awesome and badass.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 02:16 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
that trancends to fans too. do you wear a certain jersey on game time? sit in a certain chair? like eating certain snacks during the game? snorting herion of the back of the same thai ladyboy? { my fave, hi quang) saying some ridiculous cheer?
It took a while, but Trang knows the where he should be, and in what position when the Flyers go on the power play. Nothing like Heroin off a Thai ladyboy's bare arse to get the power play going!!!

I feel dirty all of a sudden.

Seriously though, that was a hilarious line PhillyFan4Ever (glad to see shil hasn't killed you after Coburngate).

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 08:59 AM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Really? I think it adds to the sport, especially if there are oddball superstitions.

But then again, I'm superstitious as hell as a fan. Especially during playoffs.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:21 AM
BoDiva88

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
I noticed that a lot of baseball players were wearing them (or something similar) this last season. I like to see the team bond with them even if it doesn't really give them supernatural playing and healing abilities.
What if it's the cause of the seriously out-of-control injury bug?

BoDiva88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Alot of baseball players wear them, i think like the whole Red Sox team has them. I havent noticed them on Flyers yet. I think they are gay though, its a shame it leaked over to hockey.
I don't mind some superstition in sports but those necklaces are pretty damn gay. I love the episode of Penn and Teller's BS that dealt with such garbage. Nothing in your blood or body reacts to titanium or magnets. When people see athletes wearing such silly things they believe that they work. If a millionaire wants to buy one, that's fine. But people need to realize that these companies are purposefully trying to steal money from people.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Kaktus*

Some one do the research and tell me what our players should wear to avoid taking so many dumb penalties.

We are #2 in the league behind Ducks.

Not good!!!

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Ryanoceros
He Shoots, He Scores

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Yea. I played ball through college, and there were a handful of these things floating around. Apparently there's some sort of metal inside that increases bloodflow, or some sort of voodoo magic like that.

I'm with you, I always felt they were some placebo crap.

I think in baseball it also has to do with the "style". You wouldn't believe how many guys care about what kinda of sweatbands they wear, the shades they use in the outfield, how their eyeblack is applied, and how their batting gloves drape out of their back pockets. Baseball is becoming some sort of bizarre fashion show, where the guy wearing the most necklaces, eyeblakc, and sweatbands MUST be the GREATEST player on the other team.

I guess I don't mind if players (in hockey or baseball) do it. Hey whatever you need to do mentally that gets you to live up to your potential is fine by me.

Ryanoceros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:07 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
If your not a fan of playoff beard, then **** you

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:40 PM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
If your not a fan of playoff beard, then **** you
Haha this sums it up.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Taylor_14

I can tell you who Isn't a fan of the playoff beard...Danny Briere. He tried guys. he really did.

Actually, Watching the World Juniors, They showed little clips of the canadian teams that previously won 5 gold in a row. I picked Briere out of a crowd. He looked the exact same, the guys doesnt age, or stopped aging at 19. I had a good laugh.

Can't wait until he gets back.

I think he is another one who wore the necklace. Real or not, somethign is working with this team. They should have put them on during that 10 game losing streak.

Taylor_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 04:04 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Well, if they are all wearing the necklace, they should take it off, cuz they are all getting ****ing hurt!

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote