HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Calgary-Colorado

Old
01-10-2009, 04:15 PM
JorgeRocks!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulj43r View Post
Then we'd have to trade Aucoin because we will have 8 NHL dmen all fighting for a spot on the D corp...
8 nhl d men? What could be better for a stretch run? Vandermeer is hurt and that brings us to 7, and Ialmost threw up that game (forget which) in which regehr went into the boards hard and left the ice. The guy is a tank, so he came back, but if he was somehow injured enough to miss the playoffs, would a d of

Phaneuf-Sarich
Aucoin-Leopold
Giordano-Pelech

playing in front of a post 2006 Vezina Winner Kipper, (I doubt he ever gets back to that level) really look that good in the postseason?

Like the trade though. Excellent, but yes the third should be conditional on leopold resigning.

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 04:17 PM
serratedmuffin

I like the deal, not a fan of adding the pick, because that would leave us just a first in the first 3 rounds of a supposedly deep 09 draft (I think).

serratedmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
What do Flames fans think of Lombardi? Is it potential unrealized? How is his defensive game? Can he become a solid 2 way third line center type? Or is it top six or bust for him?
Lombardi is already a pretty good 3rd line center... he is a very good penalty killer, he has blazing speed (as everyone knows by now) and i think he will be a consistent 15 goal/40 point player... ideal 3rd line center with the ability to fill in in the top 6 when injuries happen

but i think the current offer of Leopold for Lombardi and a conditional 3rd is probably pretty close to perfect as a deadline deal if its looking like Leopold will not resign with the Avalanche

a little OT but I think Kuba or Aucoin would be great players for the Avs to pursue on July 1st

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 04:43 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Lombardi is already a pretty good 3rd line center... he is a very good penalty killer, he has blazing speed (as everyone knows by now) and i think he will be a consistent 15 goal/40 point player... ideal 3rd line center with the ability to fill in in the top 6 when injuries happen

but i think the current offer of Leopold for Lombardi and a conditional 3rd is probably pretty close to perfect as a deadline deal if its looking like Leopold will not resign with the Avalanche

a little OT but I think Kuba or Aucoin would be great players for the Avs to pursue on July 1st
Kuba maybe, but no thanks on Aucoin. Yeah I know he has a big shot, but it comes with too much baggage.

The Avs already have too much money tied up in defence with Foote, Hannan, Salei, Liles and Clark all making over 3 million. Thats one of the reasons we might not be able to keep Leo, otherwise I'd love to have him back. If we could manage to trade Salei or Clark at the deadline, I think we'll be able to re-sign Leo.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Kuba maybe, but no thanks on Aucoin. Yeah I know he has a big shot, but it comes with too much baggage.

The Avs already have too much money tied up in defence with Foote, Hannan, Salei, Liles and Clark all making over 3 million. Thats one of the reasons we might not be able to keep Leo, otherwise I'd love to have him back. If we could manage to trade Salei or Clark at the deadline, I think we'll be able to re-sign Leo.
I'm not sure what this baggage you are talking about is... he has been healthy since becoming a Flame... he is playing on our top shutdown pairing... this is arguably the best he has played since before the lockout... and chances are his price tag will be 3 million or under this summer... where as Kuba could be looking at 4-5 million

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 04:57 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I'm not sure what this baggage you are talking about is... he has been healthy since becoming a Flame... he is playing on our top shutdown pairing... this is arguably the best he has played since before the lockout... and chances are his price tag will be 3 million or under this summer... where as Kuba could be looking at 4-5 million
I've heard his defensive game leaves a little to be desired. I don't know, at the same price, I'd rather keep Leopold.

Old
01-10-2009, 05:17 PM
DBU
Never Quit

vCash: 464
Would definitely do.

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Hyperkookeez*

good prosposal

hopefully it happens

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Noori

vCash: 763
I don't understand why we have to get rid of Aucoin if we get Leopold. Depth on D is a great thing to have, especially in the playoffs.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 09:33 PM
thedoctor
                    

i'd think hard about this if I'm Colorado. Re-signing Leopold doesn't appear to be in the cards with all the upcoming defense in the system (Cumiskey, Shattenkirk, Williams, Cohen) and the enormous dollar amount already committed to next year's D.

I like Leo's offensive game a lot, but I've never been a huge fan of his defense. I'll point this out point again (WITHOUT debating the validity of the stat ) that his GA / 60 at even strength is far higher than all the other Avs defenders. And he doesn't really PK.

So when you look at next year and see that he's probably in line for a 3 - 4m a year contract, you get a little concerned. If Salei or Clark was moved, I'd want to keep Leopold. But I don't see that as too likely, and thus I'd probably look to move him. And Lombardi fills a huge need for Colorado with his speed and defensive ability on the 3rd line.

So tldr, yeah, I'd do this.

thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Golden Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole435 View Post
To Avalanche:
Matthew Lombardi
3rd round pick 2009 (conditional if he resigns)

To Flames
Jordan Leoplod

Avs need offence, and Flames need defence
Thoughts?
Huh? What exactly are his 3 goals and 11 assists going to provide that the current healthy players on the Avs don't?

The Avs lose a player that is very productive on the blueline this year for a forward who won't produce anymore than guys like David Jones, TJ Hensick, and Marek Svatos are this season.

The deal would make sense if the Avs knew they couldn't or wouldn't re-sign Leopold, but that's making too many assumptions. It's in the Avs' best interest to dump Clark or Salei and re-sign Leopold. The deal doesn't do the Avs any good this year.

Last edited by Golden Foppa: 01-10-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Golden Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Foppa View Post
Huh? What exactly are his 3 goals and 11 assists going to provide that the current healthy players on the Avs don't?

The Avs lose a player that is very productive on the blueline this year for a forward who won't produce anymore than guys like David Jones, TJ Hensick, and Marek Svatos are this season.

The deal would make sense if the Avs knew they couldn't or wouldn't re-sign Leopold, but that's making too many assumptions. It's in the Avs' best interest to dump Clark or Salei and re-sign Leopold. The deal doesn't do the Avs any good this year.
Lombo has hands of stone at times, but he creates lots of chances with his speed and is probably the perfect 3rd line center, and a very dangerous PKer
Plus who knows, a change of scenery could do wonders for Lombardi's production.
Anyways, this deal was keeping in that Leopold wasn't resigning with the Avs, so you'd get a year of a very good player in Lombo for a potential rental for the Flames.

Walkingthroughforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:40 AM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Foppa View Post

I'd look at this deal as more of a "next year" type deal. The reason I asked about Lombardi's defence was because I want a solid 2 way third line center for next season who is fast and good on the PK. Kind of like a poor mans Kesler. It's not like we'd be asking him to be a top six center with Stastny and Wolski centering the top 2 lines next season (assuming Joe retires).

Although I agree, it might hurt us a bit this season, but if there is no chance Leopold re-signs, then it would be wise to pull the trigger on a trade like this.

Old
01-11-2009, 05:06 AM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctor View Post
I like Leo's offensive game a lot, but I've never been a huge fan of his defense. I'll point this out point again (WITHOUT debating the validity of the stat ) that his GA / 60 at even strength is far higher than all the other Avs defenders. And he doesn't really PK.
Yes, because if only all our defenders could defend like the great Brett Clark.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:26 AM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

Say what you want about Clark, but he leads our team in ice time, blocks a ton of shots, kills penalties, and has the best +/- on our d. It may be ugly, but he is getting the job done.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Dions shoulder

I had always thought Clark was a good defensive defencemen, I am surprised he is not liked in Denver.

Dions shoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:51 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dions shoulder View Post
I had always thought Clark was a good defensive defencemen, I am surprised he is not liked in Denver.
Split crowd. He's always been a divisive player.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:03 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Say what you want about Clark, but he leads our team in ice time, blocks a ton of shots, kills penalties, and has the best +/- on our d. It may be ugly, but he is getting the job done.

Thats the problem right there. Last year when Clark got hurt the team went into a tailspin. They survived all the injuries to the big name offensive stars but couldnt survive without Clark. So with Salei and Footer back you'd expect things to be more balance and Clark would be less relied upon. Insteaed his ice time increases even when other defenseman are on a hot streak and he's playing horrid..

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:43 PM
bohlmeister
Moves Like Malkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
Thats the problem right there. Last year when Clark got hurt the team went into a tailspin. They survived all the injuries to the big name offensive stars but couldnt survive without Clark. So with Salei and Footer back you'd expect things to be more balance and Clark would be less relied upon. Insteaed his ice time increases even when other defenseman are on a hot streak and he's playing horrid..
The only problem I have with his ice time is his PP time. He should have 0 minutes and he is on the 1st unit. Salei and Leopold are both better on the PP.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 02:25 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
The only problem I have with his ice time is his PP time. He should have 0 minutes and he is on the 1st unit. Salei and Leopold are both better on the PP.
Who would be the fourth guy then? You have Liles, Leopold, Salei and? Hannan and Foote should definately not be there.

I actually don't mind Clark on the PP. He has been shooting the puck more and it has been paying off. He's got a pretty decent shot when he decides to use it. He's also very good at keeping the puck in at the blueline.