HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Resign Jurcina?

View Poll Results: Should we sign Jurcina to Extension?
Yes 13 30.23%
No 30 69.77%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-10-2009, 07:51 AM
Jasper17

vCash: 500
Resign Jurcina?

Before this season I didn't want him to play another game for the Caps. However his play this season IMO has been very good. This is prob horrible timing to ask this considering the error he just made which let the Jackets score their 1st goal the other night. But overall I love the way he is playing and wanted to know what others thought.

And lets not forget, with the salary cap situation going forward we don't have much money to spend. Jurcina will be cheap to keep and is playing very well with Alzner.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:31 AM
The Viking Fury

I voted no. He looks good because he is with Alzner, but Alzner will be leaving him behind soon and he'll go back to looking like his normal Jurcina self.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:48 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
Our only defenseman that hits with force, young and a right handed twig with a great shot that shows flashes of being a viable top 4 pair. A no brainer; resign on the cheap and continue to hord. When our depth dictates he is not needed, trade him.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:53 AM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Our only defenseman that hits with force, young and a right handed twig with a great shot that shows flashes of being a viable top 4 pair. A no brainer; resign on the cheap and continue to hord. When our depth dictates he is not needed, trade him.
Erskine can lay out people when he catches them (and when he doesn't have brain pain) - and he's under contract past this year. If Alzner can make Jerky look good what can he do for a more talented partner? I do agree that we can most likely re-sign him on the cheap, but after the Erskine contract who knows.

EYEuhFRAYtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Foy

Until Erskine comes back and shows he can play like his old self, I don't get rid of Jurcina.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateWasGod View Post
Erskine can lay out people when he catches them (and when he doesn't have brain pain) - and he's under contract past this year. If Alzner can make Jerky look good what can he do for a more talented partner? I do agree that we can most likely re-sign him on the cheap, but after the Erskine contract who knows.
There is one major factor you are not considering, can the Caps afford a more talented partner? I would love to bring in a guy like Kubina (who will hit the market) and pair him with Alzner. But how can we afford to take on more salary? Especially since the salary cap may be going down next year?

Old
01-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Until Erskine comes back and shows he can play like his old self, I don't get rid of Jurcina.
Do you think Erskine is better than Jurcina? I think they are both about equal, except Jurcina is a right handed shot (which is valuable). In a perfect world I would love to see Erksine and Jurcina as out 3rd pair, but I am not sure we can afford to do that.

Old
01-10-2009, 10:01 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateWasGod View Post
It seemed to that once Erskine got into a groove in the playoffs, he has been much less physical away from the net. Early on here, he would run guys, stick his leg out if he missed, but later on seems to be more focused on positional play or.... i dont know, but with his concussion issues, i dont recall any big hits this year. And I am concerned about his future now. Truth be told even toning things down he is one of our big hitters on the blue (not saying much). Jurcina can smash guys, is pretty mobile and knock on wood seems durable. The guy that can push out Jurcina is Carlson IMO.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:21 AM
txpd

honestly, there is not enough in evidence to decide this. Keeping Jurcina depends on more than just his level of play.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
It seemed to that once Erskine got into a groove in the playoffs, he has been much less physical away from the net. Early on here, he would run guys, stick his leg out if he missed, but later on seems to be more focused on positional play or.... i dont know, but with his concussion issues, i dont recall any big hits this year. And I am concerned about his future now. Truth be told even toning things down he is one of our big hitters on the blue (not saying much). Jurcina can smash guys, is pretty mobile and knock on wood seems durable. The guy that can push out Jurcina is Carlson IMO.
That is almost certainly a few years away.

Old
01-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Langway
Floatvechkin

I think they will but maybe not for more than another season, which I think would take him to his UFA year. Morrisonn is more likely the odd man out given what he's currently making, but it's going to be interesting to see what both Jurcina and Schultz get.

Another bad thing about the Erskine extension is it more or less sets the bar on the minimum that those two are going to get. I know they're both RFA and Erskine was going to be UFA but I don't see either being signed for less than what Erskine got. Schultz could demand something in Morrisonn's range given that he's stepped into his overall role more or less and is putting up more points in the process.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:30 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
That is almost certainly a few years away.
Maybe 2, but JC could be here midseason next year if he plays the way he played in camp this season.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I think they will but maybe not for more than another season, which I think would take him to his UFA year. Morrisonn is more likely the odd man out given what he's currently making, but it's going to be interesting to see what both Jurcina and Schultz get.

Another bad thing about the Erskine extension is it more or less sets the bar on the minimum that those two are going to get. I know they're both RFA and Erskine was going to be UFA but I don't see either being signed for less than what Erskine got. Schultz could demand something in Morrisonn's range given that he's stepped into his overall role more or less and is putting up more points in the process.
I think Schultz will be lucky to break the 1 million mark, I do not think he has played that well and he can't stay healthy. Personally I think a 1 year deal worth about .9 is good for him.

Old
01-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Schultz would get more than $1M if he had arbitration rights next summer. Luckily enough for their cap space, he doesn't. If they want to ink him to a multi-year deal then, obviously, he's going to get more per but his QO would be around what you mentioned.

While I agree he had been shaky since returning from injury, he still has logged almost 20 minutes a game and gets the second-most PK time among D behind Poti. That's more or less what Morrisonn was doing last year and Schultz is putting up more points along the way.

Old
01-10-2009, 01:49 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

I vote no. The Caps always resign players that don't provide anything extraordinary and then we have no roster spots and no salary cap space. See Bradley, Matt; Erskine, John; Pettinger, Matt; Clymer, Ben etc. etc. etc.

What we need is roster spots to find room for guys like Sami Lepisto, Joe Finley, and the rest of the glut of defensemen we have who are maturing to NHL quality defensemen.

01-10-2009, 02:37 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

hmmmmmmm

maybe a 1 year deal at current rate. I haven't thought much other than that.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Devil Dancer

Tough call, and a lot depends on what happens the rest of this year. Will he maintain his high(er) level of play? Can he be consistent without Alzner? Will he cost the team more than $1M/year? What will he do in the playoffs?

Right now I say yes at $800K, no at $1M.

EDIT: I see he's already making almost $900K, which complicates things. I'd still be very hesitant to go over $1M.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

...going to vote, ah, no.

His biggest problem has never improved. He plays really well for a while, but it never plateaus. He reverts to impossibly, mind-numbingly poor play for 15-20 games, no matter how well he's played previously. This kind of crap is what sinks you in the playoffs.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Andrew

What an amazingly smart play by Jurcina... closing his hand on the puck and throwing it out of play....

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

It's worth considering not just Jurcina's strengths and weaknesses but what their other options are going to be for the third pairing. If we assume a top 4 of Poti, Green, Schultz and Alzner is cemented into place then it comes down to filling the remaining two or three D spots to round out the defense. Morrisonn seems destined to want too much for a third pairing role, making him a likely trade candidate in the offseason.

Erskine is signed, giving him a leg up but not quite making him a lock to make the team. Jurcina and Collins are both RFAs with arbitration rights (with Collins also subject to waivers next season I believe) and then there's Lepisto and Carlson in the mix as youngsters trying to prove that they're ready. I tend to think that Jurcina at ~$1M--warts and all--provides decent value. Far from ideal but it's a salary cap era and unless some combination of Erskine, Collins, Lepisto and Carlson are believed to be superior options then it makes sense to keep Jurcina around for another season. Beyond that and other in-house options will likely be ready.

All of this assumes A.) Pothier isn't at all in the equation and B.) no trades are made to upgrade the D further and that they'll simply move Morrisonn and look to build from within while spending relatively little to round out their depth on defense. Free agency is another option but it's hard to find value there. If they could move Morrisonn for a cheaper veteran third pairing defensemen then that's the way to go IMO but that's easier said than done. Jurcina isn't the sharpest tack in the box but could be a serviceable stopgap third pairing guy.

Old
01-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Alex28*

Jurcina >>>>>> Schultz, Erskine, Mo.

At <= 1.3 million this one's a no brainer. After they waive Erskine's slow ass.

Who gives a crap if it's because of Alzner. At least we have a piece that makes him perform. Schultz, Erskine and Mo wouldn't be half as effective with Alzner.

Next year's D
Green Poti
Alzner Jurcina
Lepisto Schultz/Collins

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Andrew

Now what the **** do you have to say about Jurcina? He just cost us the ****ING GAME

Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

GMGM has never shown much of a priority in minimizing all questions about the defense on whole. Ergo, it wouldn't be surprising if he's back for another season unless either that tendency changes or Jurcina flat-out plays his way out of the top 6 or 7. Tonight surely didn't help in that regard but he and Alzner haven't exactly lit it up lately. This is the first game where the margin between a win and a loss could be laid at the team not having a healthy Tom Poti and it's surprising that hasn't been the case before now.

Old
01-10-2009, 08:54 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Hell of a day to start this thread.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 View Post
Hell of a day to start this thread.
My thoughts exactly.

Thou without any other d-men willing to throw a hit I dunno how we can let him walk if it's around $1 mil.

Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote