HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Resign Jurcina?

View Poll Results: Should we sign Jurcina to Extension?
Yes 13 30.23%
No 30 69.77%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-10-2009, 10:22 PM
EroCaps

vCash: 500
Juice is a 3rd pairing defenseman being propped up by Alzner's phenomenal defensive instincts.

As a 6th-7th, fine.

They're getting less bang-for-the-buck from Erskine and Mo.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:46 PM
artilector

Yeah, I still like Juice much better than Erskine. And on a third pairing with a steady guy, he's ok already, good value, and will get better, IMO.

Green-Mo/Schultz
Poti-Alzner
Mo/Schultz-Jurcina
Erskine

is serviceable.

Although... if anybody gets hurt, which for sure will happen during playoffs, we again have one of Juice/Erskine either on the 2nd pairing, or together on the 3rd pairing, which is bad.

Ideally, you want Jurskine as 7th defenseman, and another veteran D in the top 6. But then having Jurcina as the 7th man feels like a waste -- he'll never develop, will eventually sulk, and you'll have to get rid of him anyway.

Its a tough call. I think it comes down to this: if you think Jurcina can become a reliable 3rd pairing guy able to hold it together on the 2nd pairing in a pinch, then you keep him. Otherwise, if your 7th d-man is Erskine, everybody on the top 6 has to be positionally rock-solid, just in case injuries hit you.. so if Juice can't be reliable, you have to let him go.

I'd keep Juice for now, and try to find a way to bring in another veteran d-man to stabilize the group.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:16 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Don't forget that Mo propped Juice up to be our top pair a few years ago. Its not just Alzner that can keep him afloat. I bet Poti could also do it. We have brought in vet defensemen already; Mo Pothier Erskine Poti Jurcina. Unless we bring in a top tier guy after jettisoning Juice, bringing in another will more than likely just stifle someone in Hershey, stunt the development of some of our draft picks, and piss off the board. If we want Juice gone, lets go with Collins or Carlson.

Bruce's aggressive system and the now soft NHL make it easier than ever on defensemen here, the proof is in this seasons record factoring our D injuries. We dont need to keep bringing in average guys.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 View Post
Hell of a day to start this thread.
The ironing is delicious.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:40 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Back to back games that bone-headed plays by Jurcina killed us. First goal against Clb changed that game's complexion.

I hate the guy and wish we had an upgrade option for RH shooting guy with hard checking ability.

I wonder if Bruce would consider switching up the pairings at critical times in the games. Allow Jurcina to stay with Karl normally but put Karl with another player in the last min of periods.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Don't forget that Mo propped Juice up to be our top pair a few years ago. Its not just Alzner that can keep him afloat. I bet Poti could also do it. We have brought in vet defensemen already; Mo Pothier Erskine Poti Jurcina. Unless we bring in a top tier guy after jettisoning Juice, bringing in another will more than likely just stifle someone in Hershey, stunt the development of some of our draft picks, and piss off the board. If we want Juice gone, lets go with Collins or Carlson.

Bruce's aggressive system and the now soft NHL make it easier than ever on defensemen here, the proof is in this seasons record factoring our D injuries. We dont need to keep bringing in average guys.
The NHL is soft until the playoffs.

The capitals don't need to change anything to get into the playoffs.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Now what the **** do you have to say about Jurcina? He just cost us the ****ING GAME
I am never going to compliment this guy again, I say something and he makes mistakes in back to back games that cost us goals.

That being said, that was way more on Brent Johnson than Jurcina. Yea Jurcina looked like retard losing the puck in his skates. But Brent Johnson can't let that shot get past him, that was a horrible goal to give up.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
The NHL is soft until the playoffs.

The capitals don't need to change anything to get into the playoffs.
I think the Caps need to get tougher. I am personally worried that we are soft in our top 6. It doesn't hurt us during the regular season but come playoff time its goin to be an issue.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 04:20 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
I am never going to compliment this guy again, I say something and he makes mistakes in back to back games that cost us goals.

That being said, that was way more on Brent Johnson than Jurcina. Yea Jurcina looked like retard losing the puck in his skates. But Brent Johnson can't let that shot get past him, that was a horrible goal to give up.
Oh so true...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 05:27 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
I think the Caps need to get tougher. I am personally worried that we are soft in our top 6. It doesn't hurt us during the regular season but come playoff time its goin to be an issue.
I agree. Laich needs to grow a mean streak for the team because Semin Flash and Backstrom aren't going to scare anyone. Either that or Fehr needs to start scoring consistently enough. He drives the net well and forces the D to play him physical.

Sure the Wing have won without it but the Wings also have an amazing defense and a power play that was consistently strong. Caps is too hot and cold right now.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 05:41 PM
backs4mvp

I hope they get rid of him. I wouldn't want both Erskine & Jurcina in the top 7, let alone the top 6. He'll be making 950k Minimum. 2.2mil is too much to be paying your 6/7 dmen. Green, Poti, Alzner, Morrisonn, Schultz, Erskine as your top 6(in that order), then a guy like Sloan making 500k as your #7.

backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Ridley Simon

Keep him....assuming he is around the 1m mark for salary. IMO, he is still on the upswing towards whatever ceiling he will hit. It's not as if he has maxed out at the age of 25! He, along with Kozlov, are the biggest Capitals weight wise, and he has a big shot. He may be a little "dull up top", however he has skills for a bottom pairing Dman, and is cheap.

Keeper...

Ridley Simon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 08:20 PM
sk84fun_dc

Not a fan because of his inconsistency and poor decision-making, but I don't think they will let him walk for nothing. If not dealt at some point, I assume he is extended a QO; he had a 2 year contract that had a higher salary, 912,500 in the second year; his QO should be 105% of his 08-09 salary, or $958,125. One would hope he'd sign and not try arbitration but one never knows. Of course, I would not complain if he was not a Washington Capital next season, but if he signs his QO the contract is under 1M.

(fyi, I saw a post either in this thread or elsewhere when I was catching up about Schultz and the QO; Schultz QO will be less than what I saw posted; he is still on his entry-level contract so his cap hit includes more than just the base (CBA pgh 1 salary) salary, which is what the QO is based on); based on my notes, his QO will be 110% of 650,000 or 715,000 for one season if he is not signed to an extension before (or after) QO time.)

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Dream Big

Quote:

I'm glad you noticed the goalie had a role. Sheesh. All this putting it all on Jurcina is not fair. The forwards could have hussled back a bit faster to help out instead expecting others to do the work. A bit of lolly gagging IMHO or whatever you'd call it. We were in the last 30 seconds of a tie game. Reminds me of how the Russians misplayed and lost to Canada in the World juniors. We should have got it at least to overtime. Could have still lost the game though.

Heh it's only one game out of 3 against Montreal. It will give us some mad to draw on for the next meeting.

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:19 PM
TheGoldenJet

The Caps would be better off not resigning the turnover machine.

TheGoldenJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:43 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I don't dislike him as a bottom pairing guy that much, but there's simply not enough roster space for him.

Schultz-Green
Poti-Alzner
Mo-Erskine/Pothier (possiblly)
Pothier/Erskine

If Pothier's not ready, I'd rather have Lepisto or Collins as the 7th guy.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:47 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I don't dislike him as a bottom pairing guy that much, but there's simply not enough roster space for him.

Schultz-Green
Poti-Alzner
Mo-Erskine/Pothier (possiblly)
Pothier/Erskine

If Pothier's not ready, I'd rather have Lepisto or Collins as the 7th guy.
I don't see how the Caps could justify keeping Morrisonn, even moreso than Jurcina. That'll open up a spot, although then you have to wonder about Carlson or another prospect moving in instead.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:04 PM
tim

Plays well with Alzner, but who wouldn't?

His flaws still show over time.

tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:12 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I don't see how the Caps could justify keeping Morrisonn, even moreso than Jurcina. That'll open up a spot, although then you have to wonder about Carlson or another prospect moving in instead.
I don't disagree. I'd look to move Mo, personally, as I think he's redundant and has some trade value. However, I just get the feeling the organization will keep him.

Old
01-13-2009, 01:12 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Maybe the real wildcard here is Pothier. I have only seen Pothier play good for about a month in all his time here, the month before his last concussion. Before that, his horrible decisions and turnovers on the offensive side gave me fits, starting with his first shift in his first game here. If he comes back healthy and playing well, juice is possibly toast. Until we have a better right twig, Juice stays.

Possible Scenarios

Alzner Green
Poti Schultz
Mo Pothier
Erskine

Alzner Green
Poti Carlson
Schultz Juice
Erskine

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:18 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I don't disagree. I'd look to move Mo, personally, as I think he's redundant and has some trade value. However, I just get the feeling the organization will keep him.
I think he gets dealt at the deadline (part of a package for an upgrade) or at the draft (package for another 1st, like Eminger was, or again for an upgrade on the roster). GMGM probably isn't going to want to go through arb. again especially since this next contract will take Mo to UFA and he'll be losing pretty much all of his leverage after this offseason. If there's one thing this season has shown about the D, IMO, it's that Mo can't be trusted with as much icetime as most of our other options (Alzner, and even Schultz IMO, for example) and as such he's overpaid. I don't see GMGM holding on to him.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I'd move to replace both Morrisonn and Jurcina, from within if possible, from without if necessary.

The Caps can take advantage of changing perceptions regarding this club among players, to pick up one or more of those veteran guys who sign for $1M to $2M with the league's better teams in the late July/early August time frame.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:32 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I'd move to replace both Morrisonn and Jurcina, from within if possible, from without if necessary.

The Caps can take advantage of changing perceptions regarding this club among players, to pick up one or more of those veteran guys who sign for $1M to $2M with the league's better teams in the late July/early August time frame.
Yeah, I'd much rather have an Aaron Miller-type $1-$2 million defenseman on the bottom pairing than what's there now.

Old
01-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Alzner-Green
Poti-Schultz
Erskine-Lepisto

No need to have Morrisonn back next year, and next year will be time for Lepisto to be a regular NHLer.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:16 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Dunno...Mo has been playing pretty damn well for 15 games or so. I don't see him moved unless it's for an upgrade who is locked up for a few more years.

I would be surprised if anyone is shipped out before summer though.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote