HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Kolzig beats Flyers...

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2004, 09:44 PM
EroCaps

vCash: 500
Kolzig beats Flyers...

seconds away from a shutout.

Old
03-06-2004, 09:48 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps
seconds away from a shutout.
So was Brodeur....

Old
03-06-2004, 09:51 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Devil_Boy
So was Brodeur....
huh? the goal against Brodeur was scored in the 2nd period

and why is a shutout by any goaltender so important to merit a new thread? I mean, if some interesting opinion or insight was given....but

Old
03-06-2004, 09:55 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy
huh? the goal against Brodeur was scored in the 2nd period
Yeah, late in the 2nd hence the "seconds away from a shutout".

Old
03-06-2004, 09:59 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Yeah, late in the 2nd hence the "seconds away from a shutout".
What kind of warped logic is that? There were still 20 minutes left in the game. Kolzig was at least scored on with literally seconds left in the game.

Old
03-06-2004, 10:04 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
What kind of warped logic is that? There were still 20 minutes left in the game. Kolzig was at least scored on with literally seconds left in the game.
I'm looking at it from the stand point the game is over already. So yes, Brodeur was "seconds away from a shutout."

Old
03-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
and why is a shutout by any goaltender so important to merit a new thread? I mean, if some interesting opinion or insight was given....but
On this board, I tend to agree. It would be a lot more relevant to post a Kolzig shutout thread on the trade rumors board, after he nearly shuts out what was the East standings' top points team entering the game, when Kolzig is heavily rumored to be available heading into the trade deadline home stretch. Whatever happens, the Caps cannot complain about Kolzig's efforts to ratchet up his trade value over the last two months. He's been awesome.

Old
03-06-2004, 10:09 PM
meehan

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
On this board, I tend to agree. It would be a lot more relevant to post a Kolzig shutout thread on the trade rumors board, after he nearly shuts out what was the East standings' top points team entering the game, when Kolzig is heavily rumored to be available heading into the trade deadline home stretch. Whatever happens, the Caps cannot complain about Kolzig's efforts to ratchet up his trade value over the last two months. He's been awesome.
The more important thing is that, with scouts attending the game, the caps played very well, which bodes especially well for Kolzig and Witt who hope to be on a new team by Tuesday.

Old
03-06-2004, 10:13 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Hey I get your point, but the first few posts said nothing like this, it was just the mere fact that Kolzig was seconds away from a shutout...
That in itself (to me at least) isn't deserving of it's own thread. Adding details like you just did, makes this thread actually relevant

Old
03-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
I'm looking at it from the stand point the game is over already. So yes, Brodeur was "seconds away from a shutout."
Well then every goalie who has ever given up 1 goal in a game was "seconds away from a shutout." Twisted hindsight logic if you ask me, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead.

Old
03-06-2004, 10:27 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Well then every goalie who has ever given up 1 goal in a game was "seconds away from a shutout." Twisted hindsight logic if you ask me, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead.
Canes' only goal came with seconds left in the 2nd. They didn't score in the 1st and 3rd. So yes, Brodeur came seconds away from a shutout (As I said before, I'm looking at it from the stand point the game is over already). There isn't much to understand here.....(I guess I'm wrong....)

Old
03-06-2004, 10:33 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Hey I get your point, but the first few posts said nothing like this, it was just the mere fact that Kolzig was seconds away from a shutout...
That in itself (to me at least) isn't deserving of it's own thread. Adding details like you just did, makes this thread actually relevant
Agreed, wholeheartedly. If this could be moved by a mod to the other board, it might be grist for further trade discussion, actually.

If this stays here... well, interesting notes for Caps fans was the play of both Shaone Morrisonn and Brad Norton. Though I expected Norton to be little more than an enforcer, he played a very solid game, hitting frequently yet without talking himself out of the play inordinately to do so. I doubt he maintains that kind of consistency, but for a player who will only be in DC through the end of the season, his play tonight was a surprise. He played on the top pairing with Witt, I believe, and they were extremely effective.

Kolzig played well, but the whole team defense was impressive. Considering that the Caps have regularly allowed 40 shots per game this year, the 26 Philly managed tonight was a welcome change of pace.

Old
03-06-2004, 10:38 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Kolzig played well, but the whole team defense was impressive. Considering that the Caps have regularly allowed 40 shots per game this year, the 25 Philly managed tonight was a welcome change of pace.
The Caps played a nice game, but I think more of it was due to the Flyers than anything else.

The Flyers had dominated the Caps in the first 3 games this year by using a strong forecheck and owning the Caps weak defense.

The Flyers never got a good forecheck going tonight and spent far too much time in their own end. That's what happens when you have 2 defenseman playing in their first ever NHL game (Meyer & Jones), a career minor leaguer (Slaney) and a forward playing defense (Kapanen).

Old
03-06-2004, 10:47 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
The game has ended and Kolzig has left the ice.Supposedly he has been traded.Why would he leave the ice after the game?

Old
03-06-2004, 10:48 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Canes' only goal came with seconds left in the 2nd. They didn't score in the 1st and 3rd. So yes, Brodeur came seconds away from a shutout (As I said before, I'm looking at it from the stand point the game is over already). There isn't much to understand here.....(I guess I'm wrong....)
The point is that when the goal was scored against Kolzig, you could look at the clock and see that he was literally seconds away from a shutout. When the goal was scored on Brodeur, he was just over 20 minutes away from a shutout. If you want to call it seconds away because it was the only goal he gave up, go ahead, me, I don't see it that way because when he gave it up he had the potential to be scored on again later on. With Kolzig there was no later on.

Old
03-06-2004, 10:51 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
The Flyers never got a good forecheck going tonight and spent far too much time in their own end. That's what happens when you have 2 defenseman playing in their first ever NHL game (Meyer & Jones), a career minor leaguer (Slaney) and a forward playing defense (Kapanen).
Oh, I don't think any Caps fans would be bragging about their team, if it came off that I was doing so. The Caps suck... it's all about getting the occasional glimpse from a player or two, and development for the long haul now.

Mostly, it's nice to see Kolzig playing strong right up to the deadline, because it would be really nice to dispose of the contract and make room for Ouellet as the starter. After that, I'd rather see the Caps lose as many games as they can... highest possible draft pick becomes the goal, sadly. Pretty bleak, but it's what we've got.

Old
03-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Always nice to see the Flyers lose to one of the worst teams Looks like the Sens got the best of them last night after all.

Old
03-06-2004, 11:34 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
Always nice to see the Flyers lose to one of the worst teams Looks like the Sens got the best of them last night after all.
Yeah that's it!!!

Old
03-06-2004, 11:35 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Nope, we still beat you 5-3.

Thanks for coming.

Old
03-07-2004, 10:46 AM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Nope, we still beat you 5-3.

Thanks for coming.

But you guys all claimed that it made the Flyers a better team, over coming Ottawa the way they did. Then they go out and lose to essentialy an AHL team with an NHL goalie.

Ottawa, on the other hand, played a much tougher opponent in the Predators and came away with a win.

I'm not saying that beating Ottawa hasn't served the Flyers well in some way, but it did a lot more for Ottawa than some think, even though they lost that game. If only we had a goalie....

Old
03-07-2004, 11:07 AM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF2002
But you guys all claimed that it made the Flyers a better team, over coming Ottawa the way they did. Then they go out and lose to essentialy an AHL team with an NHL goalie.

Ottawa, on the other hand, played a much tougher opponent in the Predators and came away with a win.

I'm not saying that beating Ottawa hasn't served the Flyers well in some way, but it did a lot more for Ottawa than some think, even though they lost that game. If only we had a goalie....
The Flyers had 3 AHL defenseman and 1 forward playing D. I suppose that had nothing to do with it.

Old
03-07-2004, 11:36 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd
The Flyers had 3 AHL defenseman and 1 forward playing D. I suppose that had nothing to do with it.
welcome to the Caps world.... for this entire season!

Old
03-07-2004, 11:51 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
He came 20 mins and seconds away from a shutout. You can't say because there were no goals in the third he would have gotten a shutout. It is not unlikely NJ would have played the third differently if it had been 0-0 instead of 1-0.

Old
03-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd
So? The Sens were missing Bonk, White, Varada, Chara, Rachunek and Volchenkov against the Predators. You guys don't have much depth on D..that's not our problem. Go Caps go.

Old
03-07-2004, 01:45 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
So? The Sens were missing Bonk, White, Varada, Chara, Rachunek and Volchenkov against the Predators. You guys don't have much depth on D..that's not our problem. Go Caps go.
Uh, don't have much depth on D?

We have *5* injuries to DEFENSEMAN. You just listed 6 injuries for your ENTIRE TEAM. You guys were missing 2 defenseman, and one not due to injury. When healthy, the Flyers have 9 or 10 NHL ready defenseman, and that's not depth? Sue us for not having awesome #11 and #12 defenseman. On top of that, we're not even accounting for forwards. Don't skew it to seem the Sens are worse off.

The Flyers don't have any elite talent on defenseman, like say a Chara, Lidstrom or Pronger. But to say they don't have depth is asinine.

That doesn't excuse the loss, but trying to prove that it is insignificant is ridiculous.

Last edited by thedjpd: 03-07-2004 at 01:48 PM.
Closed Thread