HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Plekanec turns it on.

Old
01-11-2009, 12:10 PM
THE HOFF

vCash: 500
Plekanec turns it on.

He had a rough start , he wasn't close to half the player he was last year for us. In a 82 game season , there are obviously ups and downs. Every player on the team had a cold streak at one point, and we are just half way into the season. Plekanec always had better stats after the christmas break, it's a fact. But this year , I was concerned about him. He clearly turned it on two weeks ago and a dramatic change in his game can be observed. In contrast to others , his cold streak lasted 3 months. Usually players in mtl would have a bad or a good season , and that was it. A player stepping up after the all star game was nearly impossible to see ... we've come a long way.

I can't say what the turning point was. Was it a kebab on st-catherine? A discussion with his aunt Gretchna ? No one knows , but he changed his mentality and the team certainly benefits from it.

What I want to adress is the winning culture that we are slowly building up with this team. Its one thing to have an individual like Plekanec who wakes up at the mid season mark, but in my opinion , the rest of the team should be given credit too. Players aren't dumb , they know just like we do that he half assed a good chunk of the season , but its the reaction the team had that made the difference.

I want to pay tribute to kids like pacioretty and Dago who filled in perfectly. But to me the big difference this year is the way players are stepping up and making the difference. This month , Andrei , Lapierre and Lang scored hat tricks. I can also single out a couple of moments where Begin , Kostopoulos , Latendresse and Sergei made the difference. With Koivu, Price , tangay and higgins away with injuries, what this team has accomplished shows the mental force and the confidence the team now has. Kovalev and Lang really stepped up as leaders and the return of Komi certainly helped.

when players on a winning team aren't performing up to the expectations, because of a lack of effort, they are singled out. The pressure builds up on them slowly , and eventually , they step back in line with the others. Latendresse is starting to fit as a 3rd liner with kosto and lapierre, which is the best example there is. Is latendresse a leader ? of course not. But the mentality that we are seeing today prevents him to coast for another season. You're either in or out of the boat, and players know that. We are not a sinking ship anymore. It makes us win games , but it also allows us to develop our youth in a strong winning/confident mentality.

I remember two years ago , When the team was going nowhere. One player at that time rose above all the others in my mind. He was an underdog , nobody really cared about him. He outplayed our best players and proved to be a phenomenal hockey player who led by example. His name was Thomas Plekanec. Good thing he's back.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:18 PM
le_sean

He was playing like a wimp, he wouldn't take a hit to make or play or go into corners. Now he is and it's paying off. Good for him, the Habs need him to be successful.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Bronto Dan

turn it on again Pleck!!!

Bronto Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Tell me about, I have been pissed at him since i drafted him in my league...I was like god damn you are getting the faceoffs but no points!!!! But seriously he has started to play better, been watching few games and damn he has turned it, hopefully now he actually really starts to deliver and it isn't just a short time streak..

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:31 PM
guest1467

Great post man, Plekanec is such a key player on this team. He is our best two way forward and is one of the more intelligent players on the team. Even when he was on his slump he was still working hard you could just tell things weren't going his way. Now he is slowly getting his confidence back, and it is helping Kovalev as well, because honestly Plekanec is the only center we have that is able to play with Kovalev night in and night out. It is great to see him streaking down the ice and putting shots in the right spots again, because he is one of the more enjoyable players on the team to watch.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Russeltown

Yeah it's so great to see that things are turning around for him.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:43 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
He's got room to make plays now because of Pacioretty.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
He's got room to make plays now because of Pacioretty.
Or he's just turning it on again.

Both goals last night, one was purely because of Ovechkin trying to get a call and Plekanec using his speed, the other was due to a great pass by Pacioretty and Plekanec using his speed to accomplish it.

Pacioretty doesn't actually bring as much room as people are going to overrate and claim for him, I'm sure. He brings a pretty slick pass that has nothing to do with room thats probably going to get ignored as PATCHES OPENS IT UP BECAUSE HES A POWEERRRRRR FORRRRWARRRRD gets run around.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Or he's just turning it on again.

Both goals last night, one was purely because of Ovechkin trying to get a call and Plekanec using his speed, the other was due to a great pass by Pacioretty and Plekanec using his speed to accomplish it.

Pacioretty doesn't actually bring as much room as people are going to overrate and claim for him, I'm sure. He brings a pretty slick pass that has nothing to do with room thats probably going to get ignored as PATCHES OPENS IT UP BECAUSE HES A POWEERRRRRR FORRRRWARRRRD gets run around.
What he did bring was mass confusion in front of the net for that line which lets Kovalev and Pleks walk in closer from the half boards.

but pleks in general is just playing more like a man instead of a sissy.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:08 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kostopolous View Post
but pleks in general is just playing more like a man instead of a sissy.
Agreed. And it was a long time coming.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Carbo N8

He has probably been right in the middle of more scrums in the last few games than the rest of the games this year. He's getting involved in the dangerous areas & that is paying off for him & the team. Good to see his confidence coming back.

Carbo N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:35 PM
L'abstrait

Send a message via MSN to L'abstrait
On a side note,I met Pleky today at work and I congratulated him for his two goals last night! I told him that he should keep this up because I have him in my hockey pool. (Not, I did not have the guts for the hockey pool joke)

L'abstrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

This reminds the plekanec from 2 seasons ago where he slumped for the first 3 months and went at a ppg rate for the remainder of the season. We can only hope that the last week or so is a sign of the same type of season to come from Tomas.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote