HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Teams with no hope

Old
01-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Rayne*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
The Leafs were in the bottom ten the season before and improved to being around the average of this league. Leafs have to improve on alot and trading (Kaberle for young assets) and drafting (top 5 pick for the coming draft) are going to help.

However they will be in the basement of the league for coming seasons and that just means higher draft picks and players to build around.
Assuming of course Burke doesn't trade them. He's not the best guy when it comes to draft picks (if anything, he's near the bottom).

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chea View Post
Boston hasn't even won a playoff series in this new millenium. Most of the people that hate the Leafs seem to cheer for less than stellar teams.
Sorry what does that have to do with this topic?

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
It takes time to rebuild. We should have started our rebuild around when the lockout ended, we didn't, now we have to wait a few more years to become a great team again.
Again???

Old
01-10-2009, 07:02 PM
razman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laraque4PM View Post
I think this thread begins and end with Edmonton. A bunch of stupid contracts, mediocre prospects, and no real superstar = just miss playoffs. Leaves no real good draft picks and no playoffs.
Yep. So many bad contracts makes it tough to add real talent. As long as Lowe is around, playoffs are a long shot.

razman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Hmm I really disagree with Florida. They played the habs real hard the 2 times we played them. Their new coach has instilled a very good work ethic in them which is a great sign.

Booth is pretty good, Frolik is a stud... Horton is solid and Jbo should get them something good at the deadline if he's dealt.
Yeah I'm not sure why people keep saying Florida??? Has anyone looked at the standings lately? The only potential problem I see for Florida is losing Bouwmeester for nothing, but I don't see that happening. They'll probably trade him rather than let that happen.

Old
01-10-2009, 07:06 PM
ArVeeDee

because the Panthers aren't that good of a good team. I'm rooting for them but they will go out in the first round or come up short with a 9th-11th finish. I really can't see them beating anyone in the playoffs. Don't forget that they play in a division with ATL and TB.

with that being said, they are not hopeless.

ArVeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 07:06 PM
Chea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
Again???
You see, we made the playoffs 6 years in a row prior to the lockout. We won 7 playoff series in that span. We had something going, you know. Boston hasn't even won a series in this new millenium. Maybe if this season goes well for you.. otherwise it's pretty rich to read a Boston fan from Toronto ripping the Leafs.

Chea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeBearMountain View Post
Kind of funny coming from a kings fan. At least Tampa has increased the prospect pool for the future (extremely thin at forward, had no puck moving d men, have a lot of goaltenders with strong potential).
What you say about Tampa's prospects is the truth. However, one only needs to look at

A.) Their free-agent signings

B.) Erratic front office

C.) Prospects aren't up with the big club (so they are clearly not rebuilding)...

and then people easily see that Tampa does not have direction. They are a team who is trying/tried to win now. And they're in 12th place, 13 points out of 8th. They have no hope. For now. In the "new NHL," not often do you see a team heading nowhere. Teams have picked directions and went that way. The merits of a rebuild cannot be judged for a while. But the attempt to win now and failing at it can be seen clear as day. Nothing against Tampa. I like them better than any team in their division.

Ottawa has little hope right now either. I know they have three great offensive players. That's all they've got. Top heavy. Roster needs balanced out. Constant coaching changes. Iffy goaltending. There is another team heading nowhere, but they need to drop more points first before I actually say so. Western Conference team with a really good coach. Easy to see.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
You see, we made the playoffs 6 years in a row prior to the lockout. We won 7 playoff series in that span. We had something going, you know. Boston hasn't even won a series in this new millenium. Maybe if this season goes well for you.. otherwise it's pretty rich to read a Boston fan from Toronto ripping the Leafs.
So your definition of good is making the playoffs?

Boston made the playoffs for 29 Consecutive years.

But again what so the Bruins have to do with the current topic?

Old
01-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Mark Messier
Getting To My Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Belushi View Post
?

I don't see a Crosby or Malkin on the Coyotes roster, do you?
But there's definitely a John LeClair!

Mark Messier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaebriel View Post
Why all the votes for Florida? If 1 point back with a game in hand equals "no hope" then they might as well call the rest of the season off and start the playoffs tomorrow.

I mean..... really?
The Panthers are there because although they have a good team Martin will screw it up. Like trading Jokinen for 2 mediocre defensemen. The sane goes for LA. they have the nucleus to develop into a contending team. It's not likely to happen with Lombardi at the helm.

Cyclops II* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Hooch314

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Classic newb post. So the Leafs have some proper management and coaching, but the Panthers are done right? Another example of someone who has NO CLUE about the Panthers. Quite entertaining. I would take the Panthers team, coach, and management over Toronto any day. They are in better shape than the Leafs are.

Fixed your response for you. Anyone who says Florida really has no clue whats going on in South Florida, and havent seen them play at all this year.

When I come to think of it, why am I getting all worked over these responses? They are all coming from newbs that really have no clue.
Newbs? This isn't world of warcraft. It is a hockey board. Does calling me a newb here mean that I am new to the sport of hockey, and thus know nothing about the hockey team in Florida? There isn't a more difficult team to sell as a solid team than the Panthers. No prospects stick out either. You were good the year Bure got like 90 somethin points and after that theres nothing. Newb

Hooch314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance of Judgement View Post
Leafs, Islanders, Thrashers, Lightning, Kings, Panthers
Have you seen Atlanta's prospect pool? There's a lot there with the potential to turn the team into a contender. I'd mention the Kings too, but that's been pointed out already.

The Islanders are absolutely hopeless.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:00 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
The Panthers are there because although they have a good team Martin will screw it up. Like trading Jokinen for 2 mediocre defensemen. The sane goes for LA. they have the nucleus to develop into a contending team. It's not likely to happen with Lombardi at the helm.
Have you seen Ballard play? Mediocre?

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:09 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeBearMountain View Post
Kind of funny coming from a kings fan. At least Tampa has increased the prospect pool for the future (extremely thin at forward, had no puck moving d men, have a lot of goaltenders with strong potential).

Er, I should add, so have the kings, but it amazes me they aren't playing any better with all that talent right now. I guess that goes for both teams.
Believe me, every Tampa fan I have talked to has been just as irratated with their team as I would have thought.

I know it's hard to see this with your perspective, but Tampa Bay, because of their interfering ownership, has looked like a circus.

What is the purpose of guys like Recchi, Kolzig and Roberts, who shouldn't be in the NHL anymore?

Not to mention what's happening with guys like Stamkos, and comments made by Boyle.

Also, just an aside, when I saw them play, the defense kept making inexcusably stupid mistakes. Mistakes that are AHL calibre.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:13 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Martin will screw it up huh? Another post from someone who has absolute NO CLUE about what he is talking about. Please tell me what Martin has done since being GM, since you know so much. Ballard is a mediocre Dman huh? classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJOSHIE09 View Post
Newbs? This isn't world of warcraft. It is a hockey board. Does calling me a newb here mean that I am new to the sport of hockey, and thus know nothing about the hockey team in Florida? There isn't a more difficult team to sell as a solid team than the Panthers. No prospects stick out either. You were good the year Bure got like 90 somethin points and after that theres nothing. Newb
Right nothing. Frolik is nothing right? Markstrom doesnt stick out at all huh? No they have nobody. I can add you to Balance of Judgement as ANOTHER who speaks without knowing anything. Watch the team play before posted this trash. Frolik, Markstrom, Repik, Booth, Weiss, Ballard, Matthias, Ellerby, Allen, Horton, Olesz, etc...yea there's nothing there LOL.

Last edited by pb1300: 01-10-2009 at 08:18 PM.
pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:14 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
And this is said why?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:20 PM
BayStreetBully

It pains me as a Leafs fan, but the Leafs have screwed up so many times I hold very little hope for them. JFJ trades away our best prospect and gives everyone under the sun a no-trade no-movement clause, and Fletcher trades way all our picks. That type of damage will take years to repair.

BayStreetBully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:20 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

Florida Atlanta and LA all have good futures. Florida's Dcorps is strong but the forwards up front aren't, that will be their concern.

The Isle is the only team i would say is hopeless at the moment.

leafs are rebuildings*

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:27 PM
handbanana
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Bure was the man, but I'll take increased production from everyone over having one main scorer. Counting on one guy to carry the load can fail for a number of reasons.

And I guess no prospects stick out because we have a whole heap of good ones. Markstrom, Ellerby, Frolik, Matthias, Repik are a few that come to mind immediately.

handbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:30 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
And this is said why?
Because he is terrible at contract negotiations and I doubt that he has the know how to add the final pieces to the puzzle. And so far his coaching choices in LA leave a lot to be desired.

Cyclops II* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:32 PM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStreetBully View Post

Look up "proper noun" in the dictionary.

Mickey and Minnie Mouse have a family. We'll call them the Mouses, you can call them the Mice. (And no, I can't show you "mouses" in the dictionary)
At least one thing is for sure, there will always be a spot for him at Humber College (or Ryerson or York).

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:33 PM
bladoww
Team of the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStreetBully View Post

Look up "proper noun" in the dictionary.

Mickey and Minnie Mouse have a family. We'll call them the Mouses, you can call them the Mice. (And no, I can't show you "mouses" in the dictionary)
Lol. Excellent analogy!

Now can we all agree the team name is spelled correctly?

bladoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Gaebriel

Quote:
This thread was originally posed as teams that have no hope but to start over. You honestly think a team that hasn't made the playoffs in years, is 1 point out of a playoff spot, and is in a difficult hockey market should start over? Are you insane?

Hold on, hold on, hold on, wait. Back up. Did you or did you not admit to knowing absolutely nothing about that team or its prospects earlier in this thread?

Quote:
I don't know anyone who plays for Florida. Partly because of ignorance, partly because they don't have any good players.
Protip: Don't try to speak authoritatively about a team right after you admit to knowing nothing about them.

Gaebriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 08:55 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Because he is terrible at contract negotiations and I doubt that he has the know how to add the final pieces to the puzzle. And so far his coaching choices in LA leave a lot to be desired.
Uh.. we have a team defense now

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote