HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Teams with no hope

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-10-2009, 09:56 PM
  #101
Panthers Rock
Moderator
Oh...Yeah ;)
 
Panthers Rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Winter Springs, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 5,597
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Well first off, no team is "hopeless". Their managements may be but not the team itself. If you ask me, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, and NYI management is hopeless, NOT the teams. There have been some bad GM decisions going on there. Or in the case of NYI, it goes higher than that. The management can and should be changed, but those fans already probably know that.

The Maple Leafs discussion, oy I won't even get into that. Arguing semantics over the name, and the fact that anyone here should have to explain proper nouns scares me about our education system.

Now as for the Panthers, some of the arguments against them really frighten me. Anyone that has the cajones to say that the team has no players they can name or that Martin has been terrible as GM, I mean I don't know what to say to that. Why even bother posting in this thread about that? Why admit you know nothing about a team, having done not a minute of even Google research to back up what you say and then come out and say that?

Panther fans have said their side. IMHO, a lot of people are going to be surprised by the Panthers this year. Peter DeBoer has really changed this team for the better and things are indeed looking up.

But I beg of you, please take the time to actually watch a game or so before making such judgements.

__________________

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:00 PM
  #102
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?
 
Nizdizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
Watching the unreal turn around of the Blackhawks, from joke to one of the elite teams in the league, lets look, laugh, and point fingers at the teams, as of right now, that have no hope but to start over, and pray they have a GM that can turn things around in a couple years.

Or, those tweener teams that are on the cusp of greatness, what do they need to do to get over the hump?

My team with no hope= the Leafs.
The Leafs are so far away from being respectable, that even if they tanked and got Tavares, it still could be years before they are considered a Cup contender.
The players bantered about on the Trade forum are extremely over rated, and wouldnt get even a decent return for. Burke just might be delusional, and out of tune with where the NHL wants to go.

Tweener team= Yotes.
Get rid of Gretzky, get a read coach, and a solid defensive D-man, and this team is seriously scary
If Luke Schenn read this he would punch you right in the nose.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:05 PM
  #103
Rayne*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
If Luke Schenn read this he would punch you right in the nose.
Because Luke Schenn cares THAT MUCH about what some guy on the internet says about him.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:09 PM
  #104
Dark Knight
18 Wheeler Commander
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,192
vCash: 500
I pitty those who say Leafs.

Toronto drafted Luke Schenn who looks like a stud.

Toronto has a high pick coming in the 2009 Draft.

Top that of with very underrated picks made with Anton Stralman, Mikhail Stefanovich, Jimmy Hayes and Chris Didomenico.

Top that of with a solid tandem of Brian Burke and Ron Wilson.

How is this team not heading in the right direction. This title, whoever made it, has no idea what he's talking about. The biggest achievement from the Leafs is when Burke has admitted that he wants to go young, and build from the draft. Toronto has what they havent had in a long time - a recently mancrush for draft picks. And Toronto's Dave Morrison is doing a very underrated job with the amateur scouting as well.

Give it time. Toronto is primed to be in a very ideal position in terms of salary cap is concerned by the time 2010 comes. Till then, Toronto has all their 1st rounders, and with the team they have it is safe to say they'll have 3 lottery picks.

1. Luke Schenn
2. Matt Duchene/Jordan Schroeder/Jared Cowan/Evander Kane
3. ... ?

They're well on their way.

The team IMO that has no hope if Waddell remains the GM is Atlanta Thrashers. Even New York Rangers have a future with their solid prospects in Gratchev, Sanguinetti, Del Zotto and Anisimov.

For those who dont know anything, please dont just say the first team you hate without having researched.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:12 PM
  #105
Hooch314
Registered User
 
Hooch314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaebriel View Post
This thread was originally posed as teams that have no hope but to start over. You honestly think a team that hasn't made the playoffs in years, is 1 point out of a playoff spot, and is in a difficult hockey market should start over? Are you insane?

Hold on, hold on, hold on, wait. Back up. Did you or did you not admit to knowing absolutely nothing about that team or its prospects earlier in this thread?



Protip: Don't try to speak authoritatively about a team right after you admit to knowing nothing about them.

I didn't say I knew nothing about Florida. They have no star to truly lead their team, Which you need. I don't care to dig up information about Florida to back my origional opinion because they suck, and they always have and will. Sorry for putting it so crudely but nothing else is getting to you.

Hooch314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:12 PM
  #106
Crispy Crust
Registered User
 
Crispy Crust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Land of 13 Cups
Posts: 15,617
vCash: 500
Leafs probably at least need 2 first round picks in 09. That would be great.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:27 PM
  #107
emb24*
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!TML97!! View Post
Leafs probably at least need 2 first round picks in 09. That would be great.
aren't the leafs missing a 2nd, 3rd and 4th in 09?

i know they gave the habs their 2nd

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:27 PM
  #108
Panthers Rock
Moderator
Oh...Yeah ;)
 
Panthers Rock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Winter Springs, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 5,597
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJOSHIE09 View Post
I didn't say I knew nothing about Florida. They have no star to truly lead their team, Which you need. I don't care to dig up information about Florida to back my origional opinion because they suck, and they always have and will. Sorry for putting it so crudely but nothing else is getting to you.
Not that this post even deserves a response, but your memory is certainly short.



1996 Eastern Conference Champions

X 2 for Bure

Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:31 PM
  #109
Rayne*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJOSHIE09 View Post
I didn't say I knew nothing about Florida. They have no star to truly lead their team, Which you need. I don't care to dig up information about Florida to back my origional opinion because they suck, and they always have and will. Sorry for putting it so crudely but nothing else is getting to you.
Well no offense, but they've reached the Stanley Cup Finals about 27 years more recently than the Blues have. I'd hardly say the Panthers have always sucked. They don't even suck now, they just need some scoring, as they're already solid on D and in net.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:34 PM
  #110
bishop12
Ovyously
 
bishop12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJOSHIE09 View Post
Florida, no question. I don't know anyone who plays for Florida. Partly because of ignorance, partly because they don't have any good players.
You don't know anyone who plays for Florida? Why the christ are you even posting on a hockey board then? Talk about pointless...follow the nHL

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:36 PM
  #111
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 12,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJOSHIE09 View Post
I didn't say I knew nothing about Florida. They have no star to truly lead their team, Which you need. I don't care to dig up information about Florida to back my origional opinion because they suck, and they always have and will. Sorry for putting it so crudely but nothing else is getting to you.
You are not paying attention. Florida is a good, building team that had a bad start to this season. Most make jokes because of the teams past and because of its... untraditional... hockey market.
But Florida is working its way towards respectability and could easily end up in a playoff spot this season if the JBo situation is handled well.

As an aside, Florida couldn't buy a goal to start the season. They've gone 12-5-5 in their last 22 and in 2009 they are 4-0-1 (OT loss at hot Montreal), scoring 27 goals in those five games.

NB: For a St. Louis fan to berate a team with JBo and Horton of not having any stars is a little funny, btw.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:37 PM
  #112
pb1300
BLEED RED
 
pb1300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Aiyio, Greece
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,035
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJOSHIE09 View Post
I didn't say I knew nothing about Florida. They have no star to truly lead their team, Which you need. I don't care to dig up information about Florida to back my origional opinion because they suck, and they always have and will. Sorry for putting it so crudely but nothing else is getting to you.
WOW dude, you really are a newb LOL. You really have NO clue what you are talking about. After admitting you dont know anything about the team, now you are saying otherwise? And after being called out on it, this is how you respond? Typical childish remark. Isnt it time to go to bed? Come with some facts before posting this trash.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:38 PM
  #113
bishop12
Ovyously
 
bishop12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,725
vCash: 500
I can't get over how many of you claim to know the game and the NHL, but really don't have a clue. Just more nerds who have never played or watch the game and just click on boxscores. Geezuz...I wish there was an Hockey IQ test to get on to the board.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:39 PM
  #114
bishop12
Ovyously
 
bishop12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJOSHIE09 View Post
I didn't say I knew nothing about Florida. They have no star to truly lead their team, Which you need. I don't care to dig up information about Florida to back my origional opinion because they suck, and they always have and will. Sorry for putting it so crudely but nothing else is getting to you.
Really? thanks tips...

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:13 PM
  #115
In The Flesh
Registered User
 
In The Flesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,738
vCash: 500
If Wang and Garth don't **** any more stuff up, the Isles might be heading in the right direction....after they pick up Tavares. All they need is a stud D man for the future (Schenn ). And if DP can get healthy they're set in goal.

Yes I'm a Ranger fan, but its getting pathetic seeing the owner/GM(s) of this team constantly screw stuff up. Plus the rivilary is a **** ton better if they're decent.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:25 PM
  #116
danaluvsthekings
Registered User
 
danaluvsthekings's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 4,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance of Judgement View Post
Because he is terrible at contract negotiations and I doubt that he has the know how to add the final pieces to the puzzle. And so far his coaching choices in LA leave a lot to be desired.
He's gotten Brown and Kopitar locked up before they got to RFA status so that's a positive for him.

I wasn't exactly thrilled when Terry Murray was picked as coach but this is the best the Kings have played defensively in years. They wanted a coach that is good at working with a young team. Kopitar and Brown are struggling to score this season but if they become better all around hockey players for it, and the young players continue to develop, it's a good choice for the time being. Murray might not be the right coach if the Kings were expected to contend for a Cup this year, but they're not at that point in the rebuild yet, so I think the Kings aren't going to worry about that issue at the moment.

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:32 PM
  #117
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,269
vCash: 500
I haven't read this entire thread, am I wrong in assuming it's gone like this?

Poster A: [Hated team]
Poster B [Fan of aforementioned team]: Do you even watch hockey?

WarriorOfGandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:33 PM
  #118
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!
 
Hilliardsw55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 4,870
vCash: 500
Columbus.

Wow.

They have NO hope.

all of those rookies? psh...teams full of rookies don't do anything.

No hope at all...

Hilliardsw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:49 PM
  #119
CanadianPantherFan
Registered User
 
CanadianPantherFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finaplex View Post
Teams with no future whatsoever ever:

Atlanta Thrashers ... (They have a team WHY?!)

New York Islanders ... (Time to go away)

Florida Panthers ... (This team is done)


If you guys actually think either the Leafs or Sens have no future, you're just being stupid. The Leafs now have some proper management in place with proper coaching.
Nice analysis...meathead

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:59 PM
  #120
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balance of Judgement View Post
The Panthers are there because although they have a good team Martin will screw it up. Like trading Jokinen for 2 mediocre defensemen. The sane goes for LA. they have the nucleus to develop into a contending team. It's not likely to happen with Lombardi at the helm.
But...he's the reason for the current roster, that good team you speak of...he put together. Ballard's helped in that greatly and Boynton's been a pleasant surprise, though, he has had lapses. Mediocre? Ballard? Uh...wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJOSHIE09 View Post
Newbs? This isn't world of warcraft. It is a hockey board. Does calling me a newb here mean that I am new to the sport of hockey, and thus know nothing about the hockey team in Florida? There isn't a more difficult team to sell as a solid team than the Panthers. No prospects stick out either. You were good the year Bure got like 90 somethin points and after that theres nothing. Newb
It's a hockey message board that uses world of warcraft terms (whether we like it or not), so it shouldn't be surprising that newb is used...! You're talking out of your ass, and proving that you don't know anything about the team...whcih you admitted. No prospects sticking out is the phrase that gives your ignorance away. Marksstrom alone stands out. Matthias, Repik, Rust, Ellerby, Dadonov are just a few. You're right you know nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJOSHIE09 View Post
I didn't say I knew nothing about Florida. They have no star to truly lead their team, Which you need. I don't care to dig up information about Florida to back my origional opinion because they suck, and they always have and will. Sorry for putting it so crudely but nothing else is getting to you.
Bouw, Ballard, Horton, Vokoun, Stillman, McCabe, and Weiss are all leaders on this team. You need a star? Atlanta's got a star, TBL has a few of them, where's that gotten them? You need a team who plays as a team! A team 1 point out of 8th sucks? Always have? 94 to 2000 they didn't. They've have an impatient owner, who's now done an about face. Nothing's "getting to us" because it's not true. Again, you're uneducated about the team. You're wrong, not us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
I haven't read this entire thread, am I wrong in assuming it's gone like this?

Poster A: [Hated team]
Poster B [Fan of aforementioned team]: Do you even watch hockey?
Pretty much, but that's partly due to people not having a real understanding of a team. As Panther Rock has said, no team is "hopeless," management seemingly is, though.

__________________
Noooo, no you can't have Ekblad!
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:09 AM
  #121
The Grinder
No Respect
 
The Grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Jefferson, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,381
vCash: 500
To EJOSHIE09 you might just have revealed yourself as not relevant to any other discussion on this board my friend. The Panthers have a very bright future and 2 above average goalies. What does your team have?.

Anyways no team is without hope, just some teams situations are bleaker than others.

The Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:05 AM
  #122
smokes lets go
Registered User
 
smokes lets go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Knowing full well that coming from a Habs' fan, it will be perceived as a biased opinion, I will still say that it's the Toronto Maple Leafs.

They don't have a good team to start with, as their record can attest.

Unlike the Chicago, Washington and Pittsburgh of a few years ago or the LA Kings of today, they simply don't have the good young stars up and coming to get them out of that hole. As a matter of fact, they are ranked by this very site in the bottom half in prospects in the entire NHL and that, counting Luke Schenn who's already on the team.

On top of that, they go get a GM who's better known for depleting his prospect pool for a quick fix than to build a winner from the ground up. The difference is that his only assets aren't prospects, but actual players on the team such as Kaberle (who has a NTC) and possibly Toskala.

I really don't see how this team will get out of the bottom for a few years at the very least.
wow i disagree with everying you just said there

how did the pens, capitals and pittsburgh get most of their top players? tows, kane, malkin, crosby, ovechkin, staal, etc. by tanking and getting high draft picks, they will get those young stars, and its hard to "buy" good young stars, so that point is invalid. we have been rebuilding for not even a year now and we don't have a complete dumb*** ass our GM anymore so you think our prospect pool is that strong? we have quite a few liquid assets right now so our prospect pool will only get stronger unless the management trades away even more picks. BB is not known for that at all, he trades up to get both sedins, drafts pronger, and never made a stupid rental trade in anahiem, they lost 2 first rounders for getting pronger who has been an anchor for the blueline over the past 2 seasons and was a major reason that they won the cup. and its clear players with NTC like kaberle will liklely want to move and not be humiliated every night, and there are only kaberle and kubina left of the muskoka five because tucker, macabe, and sundin are gone. the only other player on our team with a ntc is jason blake. look at the good young teams in the nhl today(pittsburgh, chicago, phoenix etc.) they all started from a similar stance as us

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:26 AM
  #123
Thresher
Registered User
 
Thresher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: HECK
Country: United States
Posts: 9,462
vCash: 500
Muze Clothing

Boston Red Sox
Movie: Shawshank Redemption

Thresher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 04:38 AM
  #124
ncredible
Registered User
 
ncredible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fort McMurray
Country: Canada
Posts: 484
vCash: 500
Personally as Bad as the Leafs may be right now I still believe there's plenty of hope for them. New GM, great new coach, got rid of alot of bad contracts and now they are playing youth and are going to rebuild. It will obviously take a while I'm guessing 2-3 years before serious changes are there but It's all slowly coming together.

If there's any teams out there that are just plain ugly it would be Tampa Bay with it's weekly roster changes that they were doin. I feel that Stamkos is going to be ruined there and besides him they have nothing for the future. Then you have all the talk about Vinny being traded due to money issues even tho that was denied. I dunno words just can't describe how ugly the Tampa Bay orginization is. I feel for the fans.

Another team with not much hope is the Islanders.
I hope to see them turn that around though. Few years of high draft picks should begin to help for this team.

ncredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 05:07 AM
  #125
sjshark91
Registered User
 
sjshark91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 25,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thresher View Post
Muze Clothing

Boston Red Sox
Movie: Shawshank Redemption
Wow those shirts are a lot of money. $40 for a shirt that says rubbin's racing...

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.