HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Who will win the Masterton?

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2004, 11:51 AM
TelperiŽn

vCash: 500
Any possibility that Dan Snyder can win it?

Old
03-07-2004, 11:58 AM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Souray would of won it for sure but now he's injured again so I don't know.
Depends on his 2nd return I guess.

Old
03-07-2004, 12:15 PM
Youreallygotme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Why would Yzerman win it two years in a row? Maybe people are just getting mixed up because Berard should have won it last year.
yzerman won it last year? i thought it was rucchin....then i dont know.

though we have a clear cut winner for next year(providing he comes back): girard

Old
03-07-2004, 12:22 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Six wrist surgeries for Souray. One year ago, he wasn't able to lift a hockey stick in his hand. About 8 months later, he hits a 102,2mph shot at the All-Star game. That's what I call an incredible comeback.

If Sheldon doesn't win this, I'll be shocked, no kidding...

Old
03-07-2004, 01:30 PM
willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Heatley's accident or not, Scott Barney deserves this more than anyone.
No question Barney deserves it the most. Problem is that he isn't a big star and that he has been limited to just 14 games for LA. (though it appears he will be back before the years out) If Barney had played the whole year in LA, he would have won the award. I doubt it now though.

Old
03-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Prongs

Well pronger had surgery and kneww surgery as well, many didnt think he could ever play hockey again, and here he is this year, an all star, and a norris trophy candidate. Him and souray both have had great comebacks, and I think one of them will win it.

Old
03-07-2004, 03:15 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlyaK17
The award doesn't go to someone just for facing tragedy. The award goes to someone who has dealt with tragedy and adversity, and has overcome it to the point of great success. The Daniel Snyder story is no doubt a very sad one, and I mean no disrespect to him or his family, but giving Dan Snyder the Masterton trophy would be like giving someone the Nobel Prize for trying really hard. They have half of what it takes, but the "success" part isn't there.

Old
03-07-2004, 03:29 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlyaK17
No, and he shouldn't either. Steve Chaisson didn't win the Masterton after dying in an automobile accident.

Old
03-07-2004, 03:35 PM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
I think that Souray will win it this year. In fact, it will be between him, Berard and Pronger since they all well known. I'm pretty sure some other guys could deserve it even more but their story isn't as known..

By the way, what it is Scott Barney's story?

Old
03-07-2004, 04:00 PM
Hecht

I believe Jamie McLennan won the Masterson trophy one year and he's not a big name star. So Scott Barney or Souray do have a chance.

Old
03-07-2004, 05:33 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome`
I think that Souray will win it this year. In fact, it will be between him, Berard and Pronger since they all well known. I'm pretty sure some other guys could deserve it even more but their story isn't as known..

By the way, what it is Scott Barney's story?
He was the Kings top prospect. He ended up having MAJOR back problems. He ending up having several surgeries and was out of hockey for 3 years. He started his comeback last year and got called up this year. He was doing very well before a shoulder injury.
Souray has nothing on Barney. He should be a lock to win it

Here is a link to a HF interview with Barney

Old
03-07-2004, 05:50 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie
No question Barney deserves it the most. Problem is that he isn't a big star and that he has been limited to just 14 games for LA. (though it appears he will be back before the years out) If Barney had played the whole year in LA, he would have won the award. I doubt it now though.
Even if he only played 1 NHL game, I would give it to him.

The level of injury he suffered, most guys would have simply retired early and opened up a hockey equipment store. Not Barney, he toughed it out for *3* years with nobody knowing his name, very few giving a damn. Comes back on the ice for 14 games for LA and not only has he played, he's played pretty damn well!

Old
03-07-2004, 05:55 PM
Cerebral

I'm guessing Dvorak will be the Oilers representative.. while he definitely went through a lot though, I don't think he'll be able to beat out Pronger/Souray/Barney. Barney is my personal pick for the award, his devotion to the game of hockey has just been unbelievable..

Old
03-07-2004, 06:28 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Scott Barney's story is great, but he won't win it. Last year, the finalists were Steve Rucchin, who was picked in the supplemental freaking draft, but still became an NHL player(don't think that was a reason though), who also battled injuries for 3 or so years and the death of his brother to cancer, and then came back to play 82 games and lead his team to game 7 of the STF, a 7th seeded team in the West at that, and Bryan Berard, who suffered a horrific accident when Hossa high sticked him in the eye, and is still legally blind in that eye I do believe, and came back to have a great seasons. Stevie Y won it instead for battling a knee injury and coming back for a couple games(the comeback's better than I made it sound, but I still think the other two were more deserving).

Regardless, I think Heatley should win it. Some say it doesn't send a good message, but he's overcome even more than Barney. Not only did he have a bad knee injury, and a broken jaw, but he had to deal with the fact that he was driving the car that killed one of his best friends. And he's come back to have a very decent season, or what he's played of this season anyway.

But it will go to either Pronger or Souray, both who suffered wrist injuries and came back to have great seasons. I'd be happy if either of them won it, anyway.

And just to get this in, I agree with that Flames fan who say Regehr was robbed a couple years back. I can't remember who beat him out, but I'm sure they weren't more deserving than he was.

Old
03-07-2004, 06:33 PM
clefty
What a nice fella

Souray and Landon Wilson immediately spring to mind. I'd give the nod to Souray.

Old
03-07-2004, 06:36 PM
Charge_Seven

Just out of curiousity, did Roberts win it when he returned to the league from his broken neck? I have no idea...

Old
03-07-2004, 06:51 PM
Snugglepuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
Just out of curiousity, did Roberts win it when he returned to the league from his broken neck? I have no idea...
I'm pretty sure he did, yeah.

Old
03-07-2004, 07:09 PM
Dartmouth 02

Berard should have won it by now, and should win it this year. Barney a great story too, but Berard is not only playing, but playing very well and helping the development of a brutal team.

Old
03-07-2004, 07:13 PM
Phanuthier*

Wondering what injury Souray had?

Old
03-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
Wondering what injury Souray had?
Six wrist surgeries and his career was in serious jeopardy and caused him to miss all last season. It was similar to the injury Pronger had. At one point, some speculated he would never play again.

Old
03-07-2004, 07:40 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
Considering all the crap he's been through this year, it's too bad Curtis Joseph couldn't get it.

I wholeheartedly agree with whomever said Jonathan Girard should get it next year.

Old
03-07-2004, 07:48 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Another Hab I would consider is Michael Ryder. He was basically given up for dead by the Habs and started last season in the ECHL. He worked his ass off last season and got called up to the AHL and had a great second half. He then suprised everyone and made the Habs this season and is now a strong candidate for rookie of the year and IMO has been the Habs best winger this season. All this just one year removed from the ECHL. That's perservation and dedication to hockey defined IMO. It would be great if this award was occassionally given primarily for what a guy does on the ice, rather than recovering from some ailment.

Old
03-07-2004, 08:57 PM
Patty Roy

I'd say Souray all the way, but i'm not sure if he will actually win it. He'd certainly be my choice...

Old
03-07-2004, 09:11 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
In the next 4 years, the winners will be Barney, Pronger, Souray and Heatley (in no particular order) unless something crazy happens

Old
03-07-2004, 10:12 PM
detredWINgs

I suppose I would say Souray then. I had NO clue he couldn't lift a hockey stick after that injury. He should get it then.

Yzerman won it last year because he had his knee REPLACED. Not just surgery to repair, but replaced, which is a procedure almost always performed on 80+ year olds. Doctors said it would be a miracle if he ever skated again. Then he came back and now this year, Cherry said it would be a miracle if this guy could come back and get 40 points. Right now he has 41.

Closed Thread