HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Little Help From An Out of Towner...

Old
01-08-2009, 03:31 PM
TrustInJarmo*

vCash: 500
Little Help From An Out of Towner...

Hey guys,

My wife and I are coming down to Nashville on Friday Night. We are taking in the Titans game on Sat afternoon and than going to the Predators game Sat night.

Any suggestions on which restaurants & bars you would recommend while we are staying there.

We are staying at the Millennium Maxwell House Hotel....any bars walking distance from there? Is it to far of a walk to walk from this hotel to the Titans Stadium and Predators arena?

My wife is wanting to see the Country Hall of Fame on Saturday before the games. Is that worth going to?

Any and all suggestions would be helpful.

TrustInJarmo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 04:14 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInJarmo View Post
Hey guys,

My wife and I are coming down to Nashville on Friday Night. We are taking in the Titans game on Sat afternoon and than going to the Predators game Sat night.

Any suggestions on which restaurants & bars you would recommend while we are staying there.

We are staying at the Millennium Maxwell House Hotel....any bars walking distance from there? Is it to far of a walk to walk from this hotel to the Titans Stadium and Predators arena?

My wife is wanting to see the Country Hall of Fame on Saturday before the games. Is that worth going to?

Any and all suggestions would be helpful.
Well, the hotel you are staying at is in the commercial/industrial area of Nashville. While you are definitely not in a bad part of town, there is not much to visit by your hotel in terms of bars due to the large amount of businesses that are located around the area. Other than the bar that is inside the hotel, about 0.3 miles from your hotel there is a sports bar on 9th avenue called "Home Plate Sports Bar and Grille". Other than those two bars, there are no other bars within a mile of the hotel.

Now seeing that you are not staying that far from downtown, I would advise you to take a cab downtown and hit up a few bars. There are plenty of them along Broadway, Commerce, and Church St's along with 2nd Ave and Printers Alley (which is between 3rd and 4th Ave).

My personal favorite bar/food place is Baileys (on Broadway between 4th and 5th Ave). They will have college sports, hockey, and football all on tv there. Plus, they have GREAT food. Piranha's off of 2nd Ave is a decent Bar for good food, also.

Bars/Clubs: It depends on your taste...

Food: Around the hotel you have Praline's, Starbucks, Subway, Arby's, Jersey Mike's, McDonalds, Wendy's (I think you get the picture that it is pretty much just fast food).

But if you are looking for a nice sit down restaurant, there is not much around the hotel. Again, you will have to take a cab or drive about 1M or 1.5M away from the hotel to eat at some places. If you are feeling REALLY crazy you could drive 4-5 miles to the part of town called Midtown where all the big restaurants are. You can try out places like Stoney River, Ruth Chris, Maggiano's, Sportsmans Grille, Houston's, Fleming's, PF Changs, Kobe's, etc, etc all along Vanderbilt University's Campus off of West End Ave.

Walking to the games: I would advise against walking to the games. The walk is about 2.5M (about 45-50 minutes). If you are looking for a place to drive and park downtown for Saturday, I would tell you to park in the Nashville Public Library Garage. They have $4 parking (all night) and $6 for all day and all night. The parking garage is in between Church Street and Commerce Street between 6th and 7th Ave.

Country Music Hall of Fame: I would not know... I have lived here all my life and have never been. LoL. I heard it was really good, but I have never experienced it myself.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2009, 04:23 PM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
Well, the hotel you are staying at is in the commercial/industrial area of Nashville. While you are definitely not in a bad part of town, there is not much to visit by your hotel in terms of bars due to the large amount of businesses that are located around the area. Other than the bar that is inside the hotel, about 0.3 miles from your hotel there is a sports bar on 9th avenue called "Home Plate Sports Bar and Grille". Other than those two bars, there are no other bars within a mile of the hotel.

Now seeing that you are not staying that far from downtown, I would advise you to take a cab downtown and hit up a few bars. There are plenty of them along Broadway, Commerce, and Church St's along with 2nd Ave and Printers Alley (which is between 3rd and 4th Ave).

My personal favorite bar/food place is Baileys (on Broadway between 4th and 5th Ave). They will have college sports, hockey, and football all on tv there. Plus, they have GREAT food. Piranha's off of 2nd Ave is a decent Bar for good food, also.

Bars/Clubs: It depends on your taste...

Food: Around the hotel you have Praline's, Starbucks, Subway, Arby's, Jersey Mike's, McDonalds, Wendy's (I think you get the picture that it is pretty much just fast food).

But if you are looking for a nice sit down restaurant, there is not much around the hotel. Again, you will have to take a cab or drive about 1M or 1.5M away from the hotel to eat at some places. If you are feeling REALLY crazy you could drive 4-5 miles to the part of town called Midtown where all the big restaurants are. You can try out places like Stoney River, Ruth Chris, Maggiano's, Sportsmans Grille, Houston's, Fleming's, PF Changs, Kobe's, etc, etc all along Vanderbilt University's Campus off of West End Ave.

Walking to the games: I would advise against walking to the games. The walk is about 2.5M (about 45-50 minutes). If you are looking for a place to drive and park downtown for Saturday, I would tell you to park in the Nashville Public Library Garage. They have $4 parking (all night) and $6 for all day and all night. The parking garage is in between Church Street and Commerce Street between 6th and 7th Ave.

Country Music Hall of Fame: I would not know... I have lived here all my life and have never been. LoL. I heard it was really good, but I have never experienced it myself.
Thank your for the great tips utmfisher19!

I figured it wasn't in the heart of the nightlife...we just got the hotel on hotwire for an unreal price.

I will have to check out Baileys, as well as a few other places you suggested..

Thanks again!

Old
01-08-2009, 11:06 PM
braindead

You should NOT walk from MetroCenter to downtown Nashville or back at night. The area between the two has improved some but it's a very rough area for a 6-8 block stretch on the north end of the walk. Cab or hotel shuttle would be much better. MetroCenter started as a huge business park but it really never took off with high quality corporations that tended to go south of downtown (Brentwood/Franklin). It's mainly government office space and call centers now but is an ok area. There is a very good BBQ place (Neely's?) in the blue roofed builing a block or two down from you. Good place to see sports as well-- nothing fancy. Otherwise, get to downtown and stay around it all day. Walking from the Titans stadium across the bridge is easy.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 03:23 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Info on your idea of good night life would help us help you on your choice of bar/restaurants/clubs to go to.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:04 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
the Country Music Hall of Fame is good if you can see it for free otherwise it is a bit expensive...$22!!! Honestly unless you absolutely love country music, I'd pass on it. If you want a "true" honk tonk experience in nashville I'd recommend Robert's Western World or Layla's Bluegrass Inn on Broadway a couple blocks from the Sommet. Neither charge a cover and they always have live music...generally country covers and/or rockabilly.

If you're into beer, I'd recommend the flying saucer or the beer sellar. both of those places have good selections of imports and microbrews. the flying saucer is about 5 or 6 blocks from the Sommet off of broadway and in back of the union station hotel and the Beer Sellar is on the corner of 2nd ave N and Church St right below hooters.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:08 AM
TrustInJarmo*

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I will check those places out!

nine_inch_fang: My wife and I are not into clubs and we are not into upty bars.

Old
01-09-2009, 09:22 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
One last thing I recommend...if you guys are going to be around breakfast time on Saturday or Sunday in Nashville, you HAVE to go to Monell's in Germantown (not too far from metrocenter). They have an all-you-can-eat "family style" full southern breakfast. Basically, you sit at a large table with strangers and you pass around huge plates of eggs, bacon, country ham, fried chicken, hashbrowns, biscuits, etc. It's super good. http://monellsdining.ypguides.net/

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2009, 09:30 AM
TrustInJarmo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
One last thing I recommend...if you guys are going to be around breakfast time on Saturday or Sunday in Nashville, you HAVE to go to Monell's in Germantown (not too far from metrocenter). They have an all-you-can-eat "family style" full southern breakfast. Basically, you sit at a large table with strangers and you pass around huge plates of eggs, bacon, country ham, fried chicken, hashbrowns, biscuits, etc. It's super good. http://monellsdining.ypguides.net/
Sothern breakfast....That sounds very good on a Sunday morning crossxcheck. Thanks!

Old
01-12-2009, 01:27 AM
TrustInJarmo*

Just wanted to say thank you to all of you for your help and suggestions.

My wife and I really had a great time in Nashville. We hit most of the bars on Broadway. I liked most of the bars....my wife's favorite was The Stage.

We parked behind the Sommet Center around Noon on Sat (so only had to pay once for parking the whole day). We walked around the bars...than walked to the Titans game (sorry about your Titans) and afterward walked back to the Predators game. I think you guys have a better arena than the Blues. Also, the fans are really into the game....I love the chants thru out the game...something that the Blues never do.

I love the fact that all the bars are right outside of the Arena...St. Louis does not have that...Nor do most other NHL cities.

We ended up passing on the Country Music Hall of Fame.

We did go to Monell's in Germantown this morning....we didn't get there in time for breakfast...but the lunch was pretty good.

Thanks again for all the advice guys...it really helped out on our trip this weekend!!

Last edited by TrustInJarmo*: 01-12-2009 at 01:32 AM.