HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanny a Devil

Old
01-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Shake and Bake

vCash: 500
Yea, FLY...it is ridic...

those were my thoughts exactly

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
Enjoy, Devs. His heart is still obviously in NY.
but his slap shot is in New Jersey. And his old man legs, but whatever

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Fletch

I wouldn't be surprised if there's some incentives in there that increase the cap hit that would've made him prohibitively expensive to the Rangers. As the article states, "more to come...". If not, I have to say that it's definitely a worthwhile gamble for the Devils.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
This was strictly a motivational move. If the Devils get 1 goal out of Shanahan, it will be icing on the cake.
You're probably right, but as you know, that would never happen here. Renney's already cut out the possibility of motivating players with a threat to their roster spot by throwing away Rissmiller and taking Fritsche out the equation. If Shanny joins the Rangers, Korpikoski gets demoted, end of story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
But what disturbs me is how easily Sather is taken advantage of with his management of the cap and the amounts he throws at players. I know this is nothing new, but this is like the cherry on top for me. Shannys signing bonuses and numbers the past two years have prevented the Rangers from doing some other things and now the guy turns around and signs for less than Colton Orr with of all NHL teams, the freaking Devils.
Sather probably thought he had a good shot at the Cup back in the summer of '07, and in that context, there was nothing wrong with that contract.

Shanny was never in the plans for this year and nothing has happened since July that would change that.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Its still not at the level with Gomez signing for you guys... but at least some are starting to get that feeling we had.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 01:57 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I have to say that it's definitely a worthwhile gamble for the Devils.
Without question. If he falls flat on his face they just release him. From the Devils perspective there is no risk in this. They commit minimal cap to him in the hopes of catching lightning in a bottle and milking whatever production they can out of Shanny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
You're probably right, but as you know, that would never happen here. Renney's already cut out the possibility of motivating players with a threat to their roster spot by throwing away Rissmiller and taking Fritsche out the equation. If Shanny joins the Rangers, Korpikoski gets demoted, end of story.
YES!!!

Under no circumstance was bringing Shanny back to this team a good idea for any salary. Tom Renney proved last season that he was incapable of properly utilizing Shanny. If Shanny signed with us for free this is what would happen. Renney would start him on the 3rd line, put him on the first PP unit and let him kill penalties. The first sign of offensive struggle and Shanny would be moved up to the 2nd line. He would then stay in that spot no matter how badly his game fell apart. We saw this last season. To the point where Renney moved shanny to the 4th line in the Pitt series for a few periods because he was playing that bad. The next game Shanny was back on the 2nd line and we were eventually eliminated from the playoffs.

I am not blaming Shanny for us getting knocked out of the playoffs. The Pens were better than us. However, Shanny was done, we knew it, everyone who had functioning optic nerves knew it, and Tom Renney knew it. Yet he still wouldn't cut back his ice time or take him off the #1 PP unit. This is something that worries me going forward with Renney because what is gonna happen if he is presented with a situation like Shanny in the future? An aging future hall of famer who has a strong personality but who's game is falling apart. Is he gonna do what he did with Shanny and give him ice time based on what he accomplished 10 years ago and not what he is currently capable of?

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 02:53 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
It's official.

Shanny signs with the Devils for the bargain basement price of $380,500

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2631...=topStory_main

Oh man.........

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 03:35 PM
MikeyLikesHockey

I can see it now, Devs and Rangers in the playoffs, Shanny ripping a one timer in OT to send us home...hope this doesn't come back to bite us.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 06:26 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Definitely, and thats why im pissed.

If Sather didnt want him then fine. If Sathers plan was to stretch him out or to hold him so he wouldnt sign with a team like the Devils he just got rocked.
Here are some more Shanny quotes from this afternoon that (I think) also seem to confirm that up until not that long ago he obviously thought Sather was going to have him back.

From Tom Gulitti (traveling reporter assigned to Devils)
Quote:
"Whether it was the Rangers or anybody else, I was under the impression that I was part of a team and I wasn't looking to leave team. It wasn't like I was a free agent looking for a new team and my first choice was the Rangers and my second choice was the Devils. I was on a team that up until a couple of months ago, even though the season had started, I referred to them as, 'we.' So, until someone severered that, I still sort of felt a loyalty to that group and I would have felt that way if I was a Nashville Predator or a San Jose Shark. I was under the impression all summer and the early part of training camp and season that I was going to be back. I'm not trying to pull the wool over anybody's eyes. When I realized that door was being closed on me, then I felt at that point and only at that point did I start looking at other options."

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 07:32 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahan
"Whether it was the Rangers or anybody else, I was under the impression that I was part of a team and I wasn't looking to leave team. It wasn't like I was a free agent looking for a new team and my first choice was the Rangers and my second choice was the Devils. I was on a team that up until a couple of months ago, even though the season had started, I referred to them as, 'we.' So, until someone severered that, I still sort of felt a loyalty to that group and I would have felt that way if I was a Nashville Predator or a San Jose Shark. I was under the impression all summer and the early part of training camp and season that I was going to be back. I'm not trying to pull the wool over anybody's eyes. When I realized that door was being closed on me, then I felt at that point and only at that point did I start looking at other options."
This is rich. I don't even know what to say. Maybe he is delusional? The door on Shanahan was closed when the Rangers got back from Prague. It may have been slightly open before that, but was sealed shut by Mid-October.

Shanahan has either A) convinced himself of an alternate reality, or B) Is trying to paint himself as a good guy (vs Rangers=bad guy).

Shanahan could have gone on his merry way, but chose a different route. I was indifferent on the guy when he was here, but always knew he was a tremendous professional and I respect him for that.

Let's understand one thing. This was no Mats Sundin. There was no "Shanahan Watch". The future HOF'er who was wanted by no NHL team is trying to save face and doing a bad job at it.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if there's some incentives in there that increase the cap hit that would've made him prohibitively expensive to the Rangers. As the article states, "more to come...". If not, I have to say that it's definitely a worthwhile gamble for the Devils.
I don't know how much cap space the Devils have, but incentives count against the cap this year, since the NHLPA has not yet notified the league whether they will reopen the CBA.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 08:56 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
This is rich. I don't even know what to say. Maybe he is delusional? The door on Shanahan was closed when the Rangers got back from Prague. It may have been slightly open before that, but was sealed shut by Mid-October.

Shanahan has either A) convinced himself of an alternate reality, or B) Is trying to paint himself as a good guy (vs Rangers=bad guy).
The logic of Shanahan's comments is more sound than the above logic. If he knew Sather had no interest from the very beginning of the year as you suggest, he wouldnt have been scrambling.

Clearly there was no absence of teams bidding for Shanahan, so you have to ask yourself why he waited so long to sign somewhere? The explanation he gives is it's because he believed the Rangers were going to clear a spot for him, and it wasnt until sometime in mid-November when it appeared that wouldnt be the case and he and his agent started looking at interest.

You're deluding yourself if you think the Rangers wouldnt have taken him for $800,000. What? They'd rather have Aaron Voros at $1,000,000?

Old
01-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Fletch

I understand that, Brooklyn, and I don't know if the Devils are in a good cap position either. I just find this to be quite the cheap contract and am surprised that Shanny would go from $5+ million and 20-something goals to under $400k for 1/2 a season. Sure he's old and the options may be limited, it still just seems small. Makes you wonder what the market would've been for him last year - an increase over the prior year?

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 10:08 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
I understand that, Brooklyn, and I don't know if the Devils are in a good cap position either. I just find this to be quite the cheap contract and am surprised that Shanny would go from $5+ million and 20-something goals to under $400k for 1/2 a season.
The Devils have a few million left in cap room for this year, so they are in great shape to add a key part (clearly a defenseman) at the trade deadline.

Shanny taking a ridiculous $380,000 for half a season can mean only 1 thing.

He doesnt give a rats azz about the $$$ and took next to nothing on purpose to give Lou the ammunition he needs to get that key part for a Cup run at the deadline.

You heard it here first

Old
01-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Harrison Ford

Shanny scratches lous back, Lou scratches his.

Its an offer he couldnt refuse.

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote