HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Eklund(grain of salt): Rangers "extremely interested in Doan"

Old
01-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

vCash: 500
Aside from the fact that I doubt the Yotes would deal Doan, they'd probably want youth and picks going back. Frankly, those are two things a cap strapped organization like the Rangers can't afford to give up.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Typically I would say that Phoenix would not trade Doan, but that franchise is hemoraging money and shedding that contract is something that they will have to seriously look at.

That said, as someone pointed out, financially it doesn't fit unless the Rangers shed some coin themselves.

While I can see Phoenix trading Doan, it's not going to be to the Rangers as they would not move the contract if they were forced to take a similar or larger one back.
Bingo! We have a winner.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:23 AM
frozenrubber

How about a captain swap?

An extra 2.5 million in the form of Drury's contract so they reach their salary floor and we get the salary that is appropriate to that type of scoring production.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 06:11 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The Rangers could pick up Doan in a dispersal draft

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 08:56 AM
The Thomas J.*

The Coyotes are in huge finacal trouble, the NHL has lent them so much money in the past & recently so they can make there payroll that the coyotes can not make any types of moves with money or personal with out the NHL's approval.

In Theory the leauge could also demand the Coyotes make trades to lower there payroll.

Watch Doan go to Pittsburgh so Cry Baby can get another shot at winning the cup, Cause we all know that is what the leauge want's to happen.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:11 PM
rangers13

ek just put up two more rumors one for Tkachuk and another one for 100th time for jovo

rangers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:30 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

not to mention the Yotes are in all sorts of financial trouble. I can only imagine them taking less salary and not more. Doan is owed about $2.16M for the remainder of the season (what a deal of a contract he has!) and would instantly jump to the top of our scoring list at 40 points in 43 games.

We have ~$1.69M of cap space left meaning we'd have to clear ~$470K

Petr Prucha (of course, who else?) is owed $741K for the remainder of the year. Personally, I think we'd have to at least add a 1st and Sanguinetti to that deal. Even though Doan is 32, to get a player of his calibre, under contract till he's 35-36 at his price is amazing.

Having said all that, other than money, why would the Yotes do this? In the playoff hunt? Trade their captain? The Rangers SURELY have interest. I'll give Eklund credit for that but that's like say monkeys have interest in bananas. Don't need a crystal ball for that one! The Yotes I doubt want anything to do with this one.

edit: oh yeah, resign Zherdev? Dubinsky? Dawes? Callahan? Korpikoski? Sjostrom? Potter? they are all RFA and due 10% raises. We add a $4.55M contract and are we even under cap next season? Unless we can unload Rosival or Redden or Gomez at some point before July 1st to avoid poaching, or the start of the next season (and you don't want to be forced to make a trade like the Devils), I don't know where Sather sees the money coming from.

Last edited by n8: 01-11-2009 at 01:36 PM.
n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 04:33 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
The Coyotes are in huge finacal trouble, the NHL has lent them so much money in the past & recently so they can make there payroll that the coyotes can not make any types of moves with money or personal with out the NHL's approval.

In Theory the leauge could also demand the Coyotes make trades to lower there payroll.

Watch Doan go to Pittsburgh so Cry Baby can get another shot at winning the cup, Cause we all know that is what the leauge want's to happen.
With the league approving all of their moves, I don't think they will even consider moving a player for a bigger financial committment.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 04:38 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
With the league approving all of their moves, I don't think they will even consider moving a player for a bigger financial committment.
not in terms of years, short term & high $$ amounts they would go for.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 04:48 PM
clmetsfan

This is exactly why Eklund rumor threads are so ridiculous. They're all something we'd love to do, but ultimately has no chance of happening.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 05:13 PM
nyrfan519

There's no way this will happen, and it's too bad, because Doan is exactly the type of player the Rangers need. A winger with size, grit and scoring ability.

nyrfan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 05:29 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
not to mention the Yotes are in all sorts of financial trouble. I can only imagine them taking less salary and not more. Doan is owed about $2.16M for the remainder of the season (what a deal of a contract he has!) and would instantly jump to the top of our scoring list at 40 points in 43 games.

We have ~$1.69M of cap space left meaning we'd have to clear ~$470K

Petr Prucha (of course, who else?) is owed $741K for the remainder of the year. Personally, I think we'd have to at least add a 1st and Sanguinetti to that deal. Even though Doan is 32, to get a player of his calibre, under contract till he's 35-36 at his price is amazing.

Having said all that, other than money, why would the Yotes do this? In the playoff hunt? Trade their captain? The Rangers SURELY have interest. I'll give Eklund credit for that but that's like say monkeys have interest in bananas. Don't need a crystal ball for that one! The Yotes I doubt want anything to do with this one.

edit: oh yeah, resign Zherdev? Dubinsky? Dawes? Callahan? Korpikoski? Sjostrom? Potter? they are all RFA and due 10% raises. We add a $4.55M contract and are we even under cap next season? Unless we can unload Rosival or Redden or Gomez at some point before July 1st to avoid poaching, or the start of the next season (and you don't want to be forced to make a trade like the Devils), I don't know where Sather sees the money coming from.
Teams are allowed to be 10% over the upper limit from July 1 to the day before the start of the NHL season.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 06:06 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Teams are allowed to be 10% over the upper limit from July 1 to the day before the start of the NHL season.
ok, so that's enough space for us to at least make qualifying offers but not enough to fend off offer sheets nor enough to actually resign any of those players without losing a few or miraculously dumping Rosival or Redden.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote