HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Van - Mon

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-17-2009, 11:12 AM
  #76
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Markov only missed 4 games last season. If Lang, granted a good enough 2nd line center, is your best center - that's not good.


Canucks would pass given that Edler is playing top four minutes now and still has pretty good upside (given that he's but 23 years old). You don't trade that for two unknowns (one of which only has about a 25% chance of even being an NHLer - re: 2nd round pick).

Think the Habs would want to get a bruising physical defenseman to add in their blueline in any event (not that Edler is soft); greatly lessens the need to re-sign (and likely overpay) for Komi.
I was talking about how they stumbled into the post-season. The reason they dropped all the way to eighth was because of a long list of injuries. And our first line center is Koivu, not Lang. But thanks for helping. We had two injured centers: Koivu AND Lang. Koivu was not healthy at all at the end of the season. Oh and the Habs were starting to hit full stride when Markov got injured. So it does make a big difference. They could have put their game together and gone on a hot streak at the end of the year if not for that fateful Toronto game. May I remind you the Habs were whipping some Toronto ass in that game. They had been playing much better and they were neck and neck with Pittsburgh. Had it not been for the Markov injury, the team could have salvaged the season. The Markov injury came at a crucial point of the season, regardless of how many games he didn't play.

Basically, in the back stretch of the year (the most important part), the following players were injured or played injured:
Saku Koivu
Robert Lang
Schneider
Markov
Sergei Kostitsyn
Alex Tanguay
Bouillon
Laraque
Pacioretty (that's why he was sent down)

No matter how you slice it, that's a huge list of talent.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 11:30 AM
  #77
Moore Money
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
I was talking about how they stumbled into the post-season. The reason they dropped all the way to eighth was because of a long list of injuries. And our first line center is Koivu, not Lang. But thanks for helping. We had two injured centers: Koivu AND Lang. Koivu was not healthy at all at the end of the season. Oh and the Habs were starting to hit full stride when Markov got injured. So it does make a big difference. They could have put their game together and gone on a hot streak at the end of the year if not for that fateful Toronto game. May I remind you the Habs were whipping some Toronto ass in that game. They had been playing much better and they were neck and neck with Pittsburgh. Had it not been for the Markov injury, the team could have salvaged the season. The Markov injury came at a crucial point of the season, regardless of how many games he didn't play.

Basically, in the back stretch of the year (the most important part), the following players were injured or played injured:
Saku Koivu
Robert Lang
Schneider
Markov
Sergei Kostitsyn
Alex Tanguay
Bouillon
Laraque
Pacioretty (that's why he was sent down)

No matter how you slice it, that's a huge list of talent.
Do you think Canuck fans care about the Habs or thier excuses to why they sucked last year? It's part of the game, go cry somewhere else.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 11:36 AM
  #78
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
Do you think Canuck fans care about the Habs or thier excuses to why they sucked last year? It's part of the game, go cry somewhere else.
So I guess we'll wait until the Sedins, Salo, Kesler and Demitra get injured, and then we can point to how much the Canucks suck

Injuries are part of the game...yeah, but there's a difference between some injuries and every key player getting injured during the year. How do you think the Canucks would do without their top LW, their top two centers, their top defenceman and their top PP shooter. Tell me how you expect them to win games then! Because that's what the Habs were dealing with heading into the playoffs. At other parts of the season, Higgins, Komisarek and Price were all hurt among other players. There is NO team that can overcome that as if it was just a part of the game. Look at the Stars. They couldn't overcome the injuries, either. It's just not possible when you have that many of them. Saying you can just play through any injury would be saying you can win without talent. That's just not true.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 11:46 AM
  #79
Moore Money
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
So I guess we'll wait until the Sedins, Salo, Kesler and Demitra get injured, and then we can point to how much the Canucks suck

Injuries are part of the game...yeah, but there's a difference between some injuries and every key player getting injured during the year. How do you think the Canucks would do without their top LW, their top two centers, their top defenceman and their top PP shooter. Tell me how you expect them to win games then! Because that's what the Habs were dealing with heading into the playoffs. At other parts of the season, Higgins, Komisarek and Price were all hurt among other players. There is NO team that can overcome that as if it was just a part of the game. Look at the Stars. They couldn't overcome the injuries, either. It's just not possible when you have that many of them. Saying you can just play through any injury would be saying you can win without talent. That's just not true.
why do you think the Canucks went from division champs to division basment in 07/08? Canucks have had thier share of injuries, so you won't get any sympathy from us. Last summer all we heard was "the Canucks are the worst team in the NHL" completely ignoring the fact that the entire D was injured for large parts of the season.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 11:56 AM
  #80
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
Oh please. That was a different era. The Habs are changing the way they do things. You wouldn't expect such a ridiculous post from a mod.

I guess the Habs are completely doomed because there is just NO WAY we'll ever learn to develop our players. The first step was churning out NHL players, which the Habs finally learned to do. The next step is to turn some of them into great players. It will happen at some point. If you don't believe the players are as talented as Habs fans say, look at how former Habs players are doing on teams that fully utilize them properly (Hainsey, Streit, Ribeiro, Ryder). Eventually, the Habs will be able to groom their players. Don't let that stop you from taking shots at them, though
I never said that the Habs don't have good prospects... I just said they get severely overrated by their fans and declared untouchables as soon as they show any level of promise overall.

This isn't about a different era either... read back a couple years to posts about Latrendresse and Higgins... those guys wouldn't be dealt for superstars then... and now they seem to be in every other trade proposal!

This has nothing to do with the quality of prospects they Habs actually have... they do have a very solid group of prospects overall... Subban is a solid prospect, as are Pacioretty, D'Agostini, Chipchura, Maxwell, etc... there is nothing wrong with the quality of these prospects at all.

The problem is that they get way too overrated for being something they aren't. Subban is a solid defensive prospect. He is not a sure-fire top 4 dman in the NHL - at this point he's not even a given to the a career NHLer - he still has tons to prove in his development. That doesn't make him a bad prospect though.

At this point, he's not that far off from Sauve... Sauve was a highly regarded prospect as well, who fell during his draft year (after being selected 1st overall in the Q draft)... he's still an unknown however if he'll make the NHL. Subban is a better prospect, but he's not anywhere close to a sure-thing like Edler is.

And that was my entire point... not a shot at the Habs organization, who in fact have a good crop of prospects overall and some decent young players, but a shot at a fan base that consistently overrate all their prospects and always have... not in a different era, but in the past few years!

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 11:59 AM
  #81
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Can we settle this already? Neither franchise has accomplished anything in a long, long, long time. Fact is they BOTH suck and BOTH need to improve dramatically. Given they both suck, and they both need to improve, and neither is run by a moron GM who will let the team get robbed in a trade, any trade between these two teams is simply rearrangement of the deck chairs on the Titantic.

NEXT...

  Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:00 PM
  #82
bhuya71
Registered User
 
bhuya71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 2,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
Do you think Canuck fans care about the Habs or thier excuses to why they sucked last year? It's part of the game, go cry somewhere else.
alright this is going to sound like me defending a habs fan...nvm i am going to admit it...thats exactly what it is

MonacoBlue is a good poster that generally adds to a thread rather than detract from it...

its crap like this which makes the thread spin out of control...

i have reviewed the pages and you come out of nowhere with this crap?

please leave your generalizations in preschool and seriously man hockey forums are for good discussions...rebuttals...civilized arguments

it drives me nuts when you come out of the blue when MB has added alot to this thread sigh.....

btw i did read your second point about van's D being injured well you know what i understand where your coming from because mtl's d looked like a recreational team leaving our goalies out to dry on a daily basis in the second half o the season but do me a favour try to stop with the collective mind set of we all do it, the entire league thinks van was crap......sigh

/ rant

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:03 PM
  #83
It Kills Me
Registered User
 
It Kills Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
counter proposal

To Vancouver: Carey Price, 7th

To Montreal: Cory Schneider, 2nd
Wow. Usually whenever someone makes a counter proposal it's so retarded, but this is perfect.

It Kills Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:03 PM
  #84
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
why do you think the Canucks went from division champs to division basment in 07/08? Canucks have had thier share of injuries, so you won't get any sympathy from us. Last summer all we heard was "the Canucks are the worst team in the NHL" completely ignoring the fact that the entire D was injured for large parts of the season.
So because people did that to your team...you think it somehow makes sense to say that injuries don't matter? Riiiiiiiight.

Also, people probably had a problem with the Canucks' roster even when everyone was healthy. Again, the breakouts of Kesler and Burrows was unexpected, even for most Nucks fans.

This was the Habs' roster last year when healthy, in comparison

Alex Tanguay-Saku Koivu-Alex Kovalev
Kostitsyn-Lang-Kostitsyn
Higgins-Plekanec-Latendresse
Pacioretty-Lapierre-Kostopoulos
ex: Stewart, Metropolit, Laraque, D'Agostini

Look at how deep this forward core is. You could run three scoring lines and one checking/energy line. Higgins, a 3-time 20 goal scorer, is on the third line. Plekanec, who didn't play up to his potential but who did score 29 last year. Lang as the 2nd line center: Lang hadn't scored less than 50 points in the last decade almost. He would have easily eclipsed 50 again if he didn't miss 32 regular season games.

Then the defense:
Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-Schneider
Bouillon-Gorges
ex: Brisebois, O'Byrne, Dandenault.

That's a pretty damn good defense on paper, too. Too bad Komisarek got hurt and probably played with some kind of injury through the second half of the year. Markov and Schneider also got hurt as the Habs were hitting their stride. This is a very good defense when everyone is healthy and playing like they can. This is the thing. On paper, the Habs were good. Unfortunately, some really bad luck and a lack of execution did this team in. But you can't ignore that this could have been a very competitive team. IMO I still believe Gainey did everything right, but it somehow didn't turn out like he had hoped. That's why I find it ridiculous how much people bashed him this season. He totally didn't deserve that.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:03 PM
  #85
bhuya71
Registered User
 
bhuya71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 2,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I never said that the Habs don't have good prospects... I just said they get severely overrated by their fans and declared untouchables as soon as they show any level of promise overall.

This isn't about a different era either... read back a couple years to posts about Latrendresse and Higgins... those guys wouldn't be dealt for superstars then... and now they seem to be in every other trade proposal!

This has nothing to do with the quality of prospects they Habs actually have... they do have a very solid group of prospects overall... Subban is a solid prospect, as are Pacioretty, D'Agostini, Chipchura, Maxwell, etc... there is nothing wrong with the quality of these prospects at all.

The problem is that they get way too overrated for being something they aren't. Subban is a solid defensive prospect. He is not a sure-fire top 4 dman in the NHL - at this point he's not even a given to the a career NHLer - he still has tons to prove in his development. That doesn't make him a bad prospect though.

At this point, he's not that far off from Sauve... Sauve was a highly regarded prospect as well, who fell during his draft year (after being selected 1st overall in the Q draft)... he's still an unknown however if he'll make the NHL. Subban is a better prospect, but he's not anywhere close to a sure-thing like Edler is.

And that was my entire point... not a shot at the Habs organization, who in fact have a good crop of prospects overall and some decent young players, but a shot at a fan base that consistently overrate all their prospects and always have... not in a different era, but in the past few years!
yes its true that we do overrate our prospects but given the mediocrity the team faced for about a decade or so...i don't blame us lol.........

when was the last time we had a player as exciting as subban that is very good with the media...been a while

while i agree that edler is a beast i can admit it is that same mediocrity/potential that subban has that really does make it tough for me to deal him

of course that is why i am at work on my comp and not a GM of a hockey team because i can't make realistic hockey decisions without too much bias or blur in perception because of the love for my team

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:10 PM
  #86
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I never said that the Habs don't have good prospects... I just said they get severely overrated by their fans and declared untouchables as soon as they show any level of promise overall.

This isn't about a different era either... read back a couple years to posts about Latrendresse and Higgins... those guys wouldn't be dealt for superstars then... and now they seem to be in every other trade proposal!

This has nothing to do with the quality of prospects they Habs actually have... they do have a very solid group of prospects overall... Subban is a solid prospect, as are Pacioretty, D'Agostini, Chipchura, Maxwell, etc... there is nothing wrong with the quality of these prospects at all.

The problem is that they get way too overrated for being something they aren't. Subban is a solid defensive prospect. He is not a sure-fire top 4 dman in the NHL - at this point he's not even a given to the a career NHLer - he still has tons to prove in his development. That doesn't make him a bad prospect though.

At this point, he's not that far off from Sauve... Sauve was a highly regarded prospect as well, who fell during his draft year (after being selected 1st overall in the Q draft)... he's still an unknown however if he'll make the NHL. Subban is a better prospect, but he's not anywhere close to a sure-thing like Edler is.

And that was my entire point... not a shot at the Habs organization, who in fact have a good crop of prospects overall and some decent young players, but a shot at a fan base that consistently overrate all their prospects and always have... not in a different era, but in the past few years!
It is a shot at them if you don't think Subban will amount to anything more than an average defender. Sure, that's entirely possible, but it's also possible that he becomes more than that. Again, I would easily trade Subban for Edler, but it doesn't mean Subban's not going to be good.

Like I said, Higgins and Latendresse are works in progress. The Habs developed them to be NHL players. Higgins IMO is a very good one who had an off year. Latendresse is developing too...just slowly. They have potential, and I don't think they're done developing. Lats is not going to end up as a third line winger. Point is, the Habs are getting better at translating potential into performance. Whereas the team used to turn players into busts (little Hossa, Ward, etc.), they're learning how to develop players. Give it some time, and they'll learn how to get more out of their blue chip prospects.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:23 PM
  #87
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
It is a shot at them if you don't think Subban will amount to anything more than an average defender. Sure, that's entirely possible, but it's also possible that he becomes more than that. Again, I would easily trade Subban for Edler, but it doesn't mean Subban's not going to be good.

Like I said, Higgins and Latendresse are works in progress. The Habs developed them to be NHL players. Higgins IMO is a very good one who had an off year. Latendresse is developing too...just slowly. They have potential, and I don't think they're done developing. Lats is not going to end up as a third line winger. Point is, the Habs are getting better at translating potential into performance. Whereas the team used to turn players into busts (little Hossa, Ward, etc.), they're learning how to develop players. Give it some time, and they'll learn how to get more out of their blue chip prospects.
I don't disagree with any of that... and I never said that Subban will only end up being an average defender... but at this point, his value is considerably lower than Edler, because Edler is already proven to be more than just an average defender at only 23. Whether Subban gets there is still an unknown.

And I don't disagree with the upside of Lats or Higgins either... I do think they are both good players, both are still young and will both continue to improve... but the year after being drafted Lats was considered a sure-fire top line power forward who would never be moved by Montreal. He was considered a franchise player at one point soon after his draft year... those projections have just continued to fall since however.

He had a difficult year - which really is par for course for most young players - and he was suddenly being throw in every other trade proposal. Another example of the many Habs prospects that go from being considered future superstars to being expendable in trades.

And again, that's the whole point of my argument. It's not about the Canadiens franchise, who have several good prospects, and like all young players they will need time to develop. The argument here is with the unrealistic value that Habs continuing put on their prospects. Seeing any Habs fans even suggest that Subban is more valuable than Edler is just example of that ridiculous thinking that many Habs fans continue to have with their next prized prospect - which is now Subban - until of course the next one comes up a few months later.

Like I said, Subban is a solid prospect... could turn out to be a very good defender in the NHL for a long time... or could end up being AHL material as well. At this point we don't know, and that's what separates him from a player like Edler, who's only 3 yrs older and much more accomplished already, having developed into a solid top 4 dman in the NHL, with only 2 full years under his belt.

Anyone that thinks that their value is even close right now is falling into the same trap that many Habs fans have in the past with many of their prospects. Subban has a long way to go to prove he'll even be as good as Edler is now - and Edler is still a long way from hitting his own ceiling as a player.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:29 PM
  #88
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I don't disagree with any of that... and I never said that Subban will only end up being an average defender... but at this point, his value is considerably lower than Edler, because Edler is already proven to be more than just an average defender at only 23. Whether Subban gets there is still an unknown.

And I don't disagree with the upside of Lats or Higgins either... I do think they are both good players, both are still young and will both continue to improve... but the year after being drafted Lats was considered a sure-fire top line power forward who would never be moved by Montreal. He was considered a franchise player at one point soon after his draft year... those projections have just continued to fall since however.

He had a difficult year - which really is par for course for most young players - and he was suddenly being throw in every other trade proposal. Another example of the many Habs prospects that go from being considered future superstars to being expendable in trades.

And again, that's the whole point of my argument. It's not about the Canadiens franchise, who have several good prospects, and like all young players they will need time to develop. The argument here is with the unrealistic value that Habs continuing put on their prospects. Seeing any Habs fans even suggest that Subban is more valuable than Edler is just example of that ridiculous thinking that many Habs fans continue to have with their next prized prospect - which is now Subban - until of course the next one comes up a few months later.

Like I said, Subban is a solid prospect... could turn out to be a very good defender in the NHL for a long time... or could end up being AHL material as well. At this point we don't know, and that's what separates him from a player like Edler, who's only 3 yrs older and much more accomplished already, having developed into a solid top 4 dman in the NHL, with only 2 full years under his belt.

Anyone that thinks that their value is even close right now is falling into the same trap that many Habs fans have in the past with many of their prospects. Subban has a long way to go to prove he'll even be as good as Edler is now - and Edler is still a long way from hitting his own ceiling as a player.
If you were listening to people who said Latendesse would be a superstar, then you were listening to idiots, unfortunately. Same thing with anyone who wants to give up on them because they aren't superstars. Right now, I actually think McDonagh is the Habs' best chance at something great. He really has all the tools. I don't expect him to become a star, but I really hope he does.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:52 PM
  #89
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
:Look at the Stars. They couldn't overcome the injuries, either.
They weren't playing all that well BEFORE all the injuries. Turco had an awful start as well as the Avery distraction. It's one thing to have a million times more media pressure - at least the team can have a sort of "bunker mentality" and play for each other - it's another to have a cancer in the locker room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
So I guess we'll wait until the Sedins, Salo, Kesler and Demitra get injured, and then we can point to how much the Canucks suck
With respect to Salo & Demitra - you won't have to wait long until they get injured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
And our first line center is Koivu, not Lang. But thanks for helping.
That's probably part of the problem. Koivu, at this stage in his career is probably better suited as a #2 center.

A big problem, my opinion, was that your most talented forward - Kovalev - didn't have a great season. He makes players around him better - when he feels like playing.


Last edited by Barney Gumble: 06-17-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 01:07 PM
  #90
Sargent Pepper*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Can 2 View Post
Are you Habs fans serious? Subban will be lucky to become as good as Edler. You just can't be serious saying you wouldn't do that trade.
LOL good one!

No really, Edler would be lucky to match what Subban is probably going to do in the NHL. Subban is a young Paul Coffey with a sense for defence. Edler will not be Ohlund, forget about that. He is probably maxed out already.

Maybe you should have come to the Civic Center the last couple of years and see him play when he was in town.

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 01:12 PM
  #91
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
They weren't playing all that well BEFORE all the injuries. Turco had an awful start as well as the Avery distraction. It's one thing to have a million times more media pressure - at least the team can have a sort of "bunker mentality" and play for each other - it's another to have a cancer in the locker room.


With respect to Salo & Demitra - you won't have to wait long until they get injured.


That's probably part of the problem. Koivu, at this stage in his career is probably better suited as a #2 center.

A big problem, my opinion, was that your most talented forward - Kovalev - didn't have a great season. He makes players around him better - when he feels like playing.
Yeah Koivu is not a true number 1 center, but so what? The team is solid with Lang, Koivu and Pleks. Look at Pittsburgh. Their number 1 right wing is Bill Guerin and their top LW is Chris Kunitz. Unfortunately, in the cap era, you have to make sacrifices. I think the number 1 center thing is a little overblown around here. Yes, it would be nice to slot Koivu into the number 2 position. I would love that more than anything, but they could still have won with a deep team, anyways.

As for the Stars, it's true the Avery thing was a distraction and Turco wasn't great, but those things would have been masked had it not been for the laundry list of injuries. I mean, losing a top D in Zubov and their gritty captain Morrow is bad enough on its own. As well as key guys like Richards and Lehtinen. Just like at the beginning of the year - when the Habs were relatively healthy - they were able to overcome Carbo's idiotic coaching, the Stars could have lived through the Avery thing. But it was the injuries that killed them. Add 30 more goals by Morrow and that already makes a big difference.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 01:14 PM
  #92
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
they were able to overcome Carbo's idiotic coaching.
Carbo might be a good head coach someday; problem for the Habs was that he was essentially "learning on the job".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
Look at Pittsburgh. Their number 1 right wing is Bill Guerin and their top LW is Chris Kunitz.
To be fair, they do have arguably the top two players in the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlue View Post
As for the Stars, it's true the Avery thing was a distraction and Turco wasn't great, but those things would have been masked had it not been for the laundry list of injuries. I mean, losing a top D in Zubov and their gritty captain Morrow is bad enough on its own. As well as key guys like Richards and Lehtinen. Just like at the beginning of the year - when the Habs were relatively healthy - they were able to overcome Carbo's idiotic coaching, the Stars could have lived through the Avery thing. But it was the injuries that killed them. Add 30 more goals by Morrow and that already makes a big difference.
I can see the argument you're making; still it difficult to overcome shoddy goaltending now matter the condition of the team up front (as well as a locker room cancer like Avery).

Case in point, the Canucks weren't that far a playoff spot in the 2007/08 season - in fact there were in a playoff spot until they faded badly during "the home stretch". That's despite for a period of time having Edler as the #1 defenseman (Salo, Mitchell, Bieksa, and Ohlund all out or playing thru injuries) with a bunch of fringe guys in the lineup (a career AHL *WINGER* handling the 2nd line center duties for a stretch). Problem was that Luongo played like Dan Cloutier the last dozen or so games.

Granted, the Canucks were likely just 1st round fodder even if they had made the post-season that year (and obviously not gotten the 10th overall pick).


Last edited by Barney Gumble: 06-17-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 01:23 PM
  #93
MonacoBlue
 
MonacoBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Carbo might be a good head coach someday; problem for the Habs was that he was essentially "learning on the job".
Carbo is a good guy, but he was not fit to be the coach. He was extremely frustrating, with his tendency to sit on 1 goal leads. Carbo would also make some idiotic lines and insist on putting defenseman on the first line as wingers. Not to mention he refused to talk to his players (Kovy, in particular, needed nurturing and Gainey always had to step in for this). Finally, Carbo would parrot the same line in all his post-game interviews. He'd pretty much shrug his shoulders and say "I don't know what went wrong." And he's the coach LOL. It was very frustrating watching him "coach."

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 02:25 PM
  #94
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery4Byng View Post
To Van : PK Subban, 2nd Rounder
To Mon : Alex Edler, 7th Rounder

Cuz you know we dont get enough proposals.
I wouldn't do that simply because Subban has a higher ceiling.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 02:29 PM
  #95
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I never said that the Habs don't have good prospects... I just said they get severely overrated by their fans and declared untouchables as soon as they show any level of promise overall.
And Vancouver prospect are never overrated and never declared untouchables ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 02:46 PM
  #96
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I wouldn't do that simply because Subban has a higher ceiling.
That's like saying Schneider > Halak right now.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 02:47 PM
  #97
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
That's like saying Schneider > Halak right now.
Would you trade Schneider and a 2nd for Halak and a 7th ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 02:56 PM
  #98
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Would you trade Schneider and a 2nd for Halak and a 7th ?
If you have Luongo in net, why give up a 2nd round pick to get a goalie who can play in the NHL now?

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 02:58 PM
  #99
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
If you have Luongo in net, why give up a 2nd round pick to get a goalie who can play in the NHL now?
Solid backup, it can help Halak a little more, having a veteran goalie and a great one at that to look up to. If Luongo gets hurt for a bit, he can fill in very nicely and he's a back up plan if Luongo leaves, if he doesn't, you can trade him and get a better return than what you gave, since he'll be more "seasoned" and could have teams in goaltending trouble looking for one who will come cheap (salary price.)

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:01 PM
  #100
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 19,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Solid backup, it can help Halak a little more, having a veteran goalie and a great one at that to look up to. If Luongo gets hurt for a bit, he can fill in very nicely and he's a back up plan if Luongo leaves, if he doesn't, you can trade him and get a better return than what you gave, since he'll be more "seasoned" and could have teams in goaltending trouble looking for one who will come cheap (salary price.)
I would give it alot more consideration if Luongo has no intentions of re-signing.

Anyhow, the point of my reply to that other post is why would you turn down a deal involving a player that can play now (2nd pairing minutes for the past two seasons) with arguably similiar upside as a prospect who hasn't even played one year in the AHL?

Assume Luongo was a UFA this season - sure, I'd agree with that trade prosposal.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.