HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jones Needs to GO ASAP!!

Old
01-10-2009, 10:40 PM
FlyersWillRockU
Too Old? Rookies

vCash: 500
Jones Needs to GO ASAP!!

I originally posted this in the GDT tonight but IMO I think it deserves it"s own thread:

Is it just me or does anyone else not care whether we get anything for Jones in a trade? Every time he is on the ice it seems we get pinned in our own zone because of his idiotic plays. He never cost us a draft pick or anything (undrafted) so why should we be worried about getting anything in return. It is pretty bad when an undersized (weight wise) rookie like Sbisa makes you look bad especiallly when you are making 2.75 mil/yr. I never saw what everyone else did in Jones. Every time he is on the ice it seems he just makes me shake my head and I just want to see him gone. IMO Guenin at least brings a physical game and could, if given the chance do just as well if not better as a 7/8th dman for alot less money bring alot better game than Jones. Please HOLMGREN STOP THE SUFFERING!!! TRADE JONES FOR A 7th OR WAIVE HIM ALREADY

FlyersWillRockU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Gert B Frobe

it's amazing this team can win the way it does with the amount of crappy plays Jones and Coburn make every night. I don't want to trade Coburn but he has really sucked as well.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:47 PM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersWillRockU View Post
I originally posted this in the GDT tonight but IMO I think it deserves it"s own thread:

Is it just me or does anyone else not care whether we get anything for Jones in a trade? Every time he is on the ice it seems we get pinned in our own zone because of his idiotic plays. He never cost us a draft pick or anything (undrafted) so why should we be worried about getting anything in return. It is pretty bad when an undersized (weight wise) rookie like Sbisa makes you look bad especiallly when you are making 2.75 mil/yr. I never saw what everyone else did in Jones. Every time he is on the ice it seems he just makes me shake my head and I just want to see him gone. IMO Guenin at least brings a physical game and could, if given the chance do just as well if not better as a 7/8th dman for alot less money bring alot better game than Jones. Please HOLMGREN STOP THE SUFFERING!!! TRADE JONES FOR A 7th OR WAIVE HIM ALREADY

I don't know what you are watching. The only thing that sucks about Jones, is his contract and our salary constraints. Otherwise, he is very stable and solid back there. How many "sure goals" has he prevented by getting his stick in the shooting lane or being sound positionally to stop someone from scoring?

I know desperate times, call for desperate measures but you are way off to say that a 7th would be a feasible trade. He is good and you seem to forget that he hasn't even played ten games yet.

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:50 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
Every time he is on the ice it seems we get pinned in our own zone because of his idiotic plays.
he had the same amount of give aways as richards. with 2

hartnell had 5 give aways. no ones ranting about him. richie couldnt pass tape to tape. he was putting it in peoples skates.

relax on jones. he just got back

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 10:55 PM
tytech

Hartnell

Jones hasn't even played ten games. Relax

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:34 PM
kicksave27

when briere comes back jones is gone

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Jones has been dreadful since he came back. Everyone makes mistakes but not to the degree that Jones does and not with the same regularity.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2009, 11:57 PM
McNasty

I was in the stands for the Minnesota game on thursday and I can recall 4 or 5 blatant turnovers in the defensive zone by Randy Jones where he wasn't even being pressured. One of them he feathered a cute little pass to a wide open man when he was being pressured, unfortunately this player was wearing a wild jersey and walked in on a 2 on 1 where they were unable to capitalize.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:10 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 1300
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Agreed. Jones blows. Coburn needs to get better as well.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:19 AM
AaronTrieu

solid guy, but he doesn't have a spot here. I would not miss him at all but i wish him the best

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:48 AM
forzanerazzurri

Jones is solid. Richards is a turnover machine but noone complains about that for some reason.

forzanerazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:28 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Trading Coburn now because he makes a couple of mistakes as a young player = stupid. Let him develop.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:44 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
We have a lot of good d's this season and that is Jones included.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:47 AM
Edd3987

The sooner we get rid of this clown the better. He does nothing productive.

Edd3987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 02:00 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzanerazzurri View Post
Jones is solid. Richards is a turnover machine but noone complains about that for some reason.
I don't know if I'd label Jones as "solid" per se, but I agree with you about Richards, but no one will complain about him here because he's "Cannon!!!".

Honestly, Richards drives me nuts sometimes. I mentioned this the other night in the GDT (Minny, maybe?). It seems like he forgets to bring the puck with him while he's skating, or tries to out deke a defender who's not even close enough to try deking around. Then, all of a sudden, the puck is behind him and he coughs it up. Granted the other "intangibles" he brings to the team probably outweigh these indiscretions, but it still makes me want to smack him and yell, "What the HELL were you thinking?????".

Ok. Rant over. Flyers won tonight.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 02:01 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Seriously, just give Randy a couple more games. He could get hot

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 02:07 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
He also could shed some serious salary if we traded him. Just in time for Briere to come back. Of course, when Brieree comes back he'll be lambasted here if he doesn't get a hat trick in one of his first 3 games back (and god forbid if we lose his first game back). I don't necessarily hate Jones as much as others here, although his decision making sometimes makes me want to throttle him, but I think he'll be the odd man out (along with someone else) when it comes time to shed salary for Briere to come back.

That being said, I'm not the GM of the Flyers, and they're probably better off for it.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 02:09 AM
phlocky

I've been telling you guys for a long time now that Jones is our new Bundy and it scares the hell out of me.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 02:42 AM
qwertysac

well, with briere coming back, jones might be the odd man out.

he's the only player who has a contract big enough to justify it and not valuable enough to not be moved.

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 06:30 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Does Jones still trip over his own two feet at least twice a game? I remember in the season from hell, every Flyers game that I watched, Jones would trip over his own two feet at least twice a game. In one game against Toronto (Michael Leighton was the goaltender for the game - I think), Jones tripped over his feet four times, was ultimately responsible for a couple of two on ones, one three on one and two of the goals that Leighton allowed were because of Jones' miscue.

Nope, I wouldn't miss him at all if he were gone. I'll use a Hitchcock quote with regards to Jones - "there seems to be a disconnect between his brain and the rest of his play."

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 08:28 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
I originally posted this in the GDT tonight but IMO I think it deserves it"s own thread
It doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
it's amazing this team can win the way it does with the amount of crappy plays Jones and Coburn make every night. I don't want to trade Coburn but he has really sucked as well.
Coburn had played well for three or four games until last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech View Post
He is good and you seem to forget that he hasn't even played ten games yet.
Some people need a Whipping Boy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
hartnell had 5 give aways. no ones ranting about him. richie couldnt pass tape to tape. he was putting it in peoples skates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzanerazzurri View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
I don't know if I'd label Jones as "solid" per se, but I agree with you about Richards, but no one will complain about him here because he's "Cannon!!!".
It is natural to forgive the mistakes of people who contribute in other ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
Wooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I've been telling you guys for a long time now that Jones is our new Bundy and it scares the hell out of me.
From your mouth to God's ears - Therien played 750 games as a Flyer, he was a fixture and stalwart with no complaints through good times and bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Does Jones still trip over his own two feet at least twice a game?
No, he doesn't.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 08:59 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
I'm not a Randy Jones hater but....

....maybe if he was playing with Kukkonen (whom was the only partner where he had a + rating last year).....

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
I don't understand the hatred for this guy.

Can somebody please explain?

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:20 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I'd like to see him go and open some space up on the cap. He's making mistakes, but he just got back, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He was great in the playoffs last year after playing most of the games in the season, so I think everyone should give him until 20 games played or so to start making judgments. Also, since he's been back, we're still winning, and generally, he's not costing us games. I know there are games that Alberts has cost us, so why isn't there a thread complaining about him?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 10:03 AM
MountainHawk

He makes some mistakes, but fewer than Coburn this year. He's a pretty good player, once he's played 10-15 games and is back at full speed, he'll be our 3rd best defenseman.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote