HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any chance we could get Volchenkov?

Old
01-11-2009, 02:26 AM
Alex28*

vCash: 500

The guy is a monster shotblocker, hitter and all around defensive defenseman, one of the toughest SOBs alive, essentially just what the Caps need to be a contender. He's offensively limited so his trade value isn't as high as that of guys like Bouwmeester and also seems like he doesn't fit in with Ottawa, who are struggling. Would Fleischmann, Lepisto, Schultz/Mo/Erskine and a 1st or 2nd round pick net him?

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:00 AM
Davis3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
The guy is a monster shotblocker, hitter and all around defensive defenseman, one of the toughest SOBs alive, essentially just what the Caps need to be a contender. He's offensively limited so his trade value isn't as high as that of guys like Bouwmeester and also seems like he doesn't fit in with Ottawa, who are struggling. Would Fleischmann, Lepisto, Schultz/Mo/Erskine and a 1st or 2nd round pick net him?
Volchenkov wont be going anywhere...hes our best defenseman...you can maybe get kuba tho..

Davis3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:05 AM
The Viking Fury

Theres always a chance... but I think it would cost too much from the Caps.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:31 AM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis3 View Post
Volchenkov wont be going anywhere...hes our best defenseman...you can maybe get kuba tho..
Don't need another puck mover. Need a fearless freight train that will absorb shots and clear the crease like a tank, preferably Russian, preferably with a name that translates to Son of a Wolf Cub. Badly.

Fleischmann (young guy on pace for 30 goals with 725,000 cap hit) + Lepisto (puck moving defensive prospect with a wicked powerplay one timer who got .5 ppg while called up) + Mo (our main stay at home D, 2 million) + Osala (good power forward prospect) + 2nd would be enough, no?

Old
01-11-2009, 08:45 AM
The Viking Fury

theres no way the caps are giving up all that.

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 02:06 PM
DaleHunter

Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
Quote:
Don't need another puck mover. Need a fearless freight train that will absorb shots and clear the crease like a tank, preferably Russian, preferably with a name that translates to Son of a Wolf Cub. Badly.

Fleischmann (young guy on pace for 30 goals with 725,000 cap hit) + Lepisto (puck moving defensive prospect with a wicked powerplay one timer who got .5 ppg while called up) + Mo (our main stay at home D, 2 million) + Osala (good power forward prospect) + 2nd would be enough, no?
Jeez... why don't you throw in Semin and Green too?

DaleHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 02:11 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

No chance the Sens move him....just a hunch.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 02:12 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

LOL..you're a Caps FAN right? Wondering why you would make such a crazy proposal so absurdly in favor of the Sens.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 02:13 PM
senators101

For what Washington would have to trade, it wouldn't be worth it for you. He's an incredible defensive dman who is only getting paid 2.5 mil this year and next. It'd require a severe overpayment.

senators101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 02:21 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I don't see it unless ottawa decides to go into complete rebuild mode and I don't see it. They may try the quick philly method. They need consistent goaltending. And one of thomas or fernandez will be available. Bulinwall too.
They need one or two puck moving dmen. And they don't have to be great. Perhaps they even take a cleared pothier for a pick.
They need fisher and vermette to play their pre-contract selfs. If they get that going they don't need a complete rebuild.

So in short, not get volchenkov

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:06 PM
txpd

I have concluded after watching what the Caps miss when Poti is out of the lineup that they most need somebody to bring what Poti brings. The defensive zone work of a capable and steady veteran who is mobile and can both pass the puck and skate the puck out of the defensive zone. And somebody that brings playoff experience and a settling effect on the young team.

Last night was a perfect example of how the Caps miss Poti.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I have concluded after watching what the Caps miss when Poti is out of the lineup that they most need somebody to bring what Poti brings. The defensive zone work of a capable and steady veteran who is mobile and can both pass the puck and skate the puck out of the defensive zone. And somebody that brings playoff experience and a settling effect on the young team.

Last night was a perfect example of how the Caps miss Poti.
With Poti they can get through the regular season admirably. However they still don't have anyone resembling a guy who can keep order in their own end against crashers like Philadelphia - the closest to that is Erskine, and he's atrocious. Caps are helpless against teams crashing the net, and since they themselves aren't that good at it ever since Clark took that slapshot in his ear, they at least need to work on shutting down other teams' crashers. Imagine if we go up against Detroit (yes, I know that's the SC Finals, but hypothetically) in the playoffs - Holmstrom or Franzen would eat us up alive, even this year.

Volchenkov and Phillips were able to shut down Buffalo's 300+ regular season goal offense (along with Pittsburgh's decent one, and outplay New Jersey defensively) on the way to the 2007 SC finals. They're still doing a good job shutting down even though everything else has gone to hell. Ottawa is woefully short on puck movers and secondary scorers, as well as prospects, so now's as good a time as any to make a move.

The one piece the Capitals are missing to go deep, as has been discussed ad nauseaum, is a real defensive defenseman, and I don't see anyone who'd be a better fit.

And yeah, you have to give up much to get him (and we can do that without parting with any core players), but in the end a guy like him is what's needed to turn the Caps into real contenders. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see them doing anything spectacular in the postseason unless Carlson develops perfectly, and that would take a couple of years at least with everything going well.

Old
01-11-2009, 03:58 PM
txpd

I think I have concluded that there isn't available a defensive defenseman that can create that house of pain around the Caps net and play the boudreau style of hockey.

I have been toying with the desire to bring back Brendan Witt. He could be bought at the deadline. But then I try and see him at even strenth with the game the Caps play and I don't see it. He is complaining about playing that kind of hockey on Long Island right now.

Find me a hammer that can skate and pass the puck and is available and can be both afforded with the salary cap and purchase price on the trade market.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

No. He's simply not available.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 02:57 PM
lucas33

it would be amazing to get him on the team but with ovie's salary cap it may not be possible and if i was Volchenkov i wouldn't really be too fussed about staying in Ottawa.

lucas33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 08:03 AM
King City Warrior

Volchenkov has skills
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=wRuvMadyhiA&fmt=18

In all seriousness that guy is the ultimate team player, an extremely tough mean SOB as mentioned above. I've seen him block shots that caused high pain, then block 5 more after that, and he lays out absolutely devastating body checks, an incredible shot blocker, and the best shut down defence man in ottawa on a great contract, great guy. He saktes very well and quickly, and has decent passing and shooting, and all around vision and offensive ability. Ovechkin and Kovalchuck know him, and think he is top 15 overall defence man. He was a 1st round pick himself and has blossomed into his scott stevens style prediction very well, his value is probably very high.

King City Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 09:29 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Volchenkov has another year left on his contract at a $2.5m price tag. Even for a struggling team, that isn't someone you trade unless you're getting back an overpayment.

Kuba is up after this year, and would cost us about $750k towards the cap if we grabbed him at the deadline. Even if we had a way to afford it, I'm not we wouldn't be better served going after a veteran defensive defensemen. But, I certainly wouldn't be upset if we ended up with Kuba assuming the price was reasonable for a rent-a-player.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 10:41 AM
thinicer

The Sens have built a reputation for fielding a soft lineup for years; there is no way they're going to give up this guy.

thinicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 05:32 PM
ColincampbellOscopy

Sean O'Donnell would be a nice pickup, he'd be like Erskine except he'd be like an NHL caliber Erskine.

Volchenkov would be too perfect and there's no chance Ottawa gives him up, especially with his cap number.

ColincampbellOscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Senator Blutarsky

Maybe for Ovechkin...

But seriously, from Ottawa's perspective I can't see any reason to trade Volchenkov unless he's demanded as part of a blockbuster.

You might have a shot at Kuba though, if you want him.

Senator Blutarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 10:47 AM
El Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Blutarsky View Post
No thanks.

El Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 11:52 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Blutarsky View Post
Maybe for Ovechkin...

But seriously, from Ottawa's perspective I can't see any reason to trade Volchenkov unless he's demanded as part of a blockbuster.

What about Phillips? Do you envision him getting traded (despite not being a UFA)?

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 01:05 PM
Comely

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
What about Phillips? Do you envision him getting traded (despite not being a UFA)?
Phillips has a NMC and isnt about to waive it anytime soon, he married a local girl and rather wants to stay here for good. Also he is somehow magically capable of always making young defensive partners better. (Volchencov's game got way better after being paired with him, now Lee can put up 25 min a night and come out a + player on our team just because he is now playing with Phillips)

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 01:46 PM
SenatorsHockey
Sweet hockey body

I don't think there's anyway Ottawa trades Anton unless you guys overpay. If you guys want toughness, would you ever consider Jason Smith? He's a playoff warrior and has tons of experience. I wouldn't think it would cost much because I think getting rid of his cap hit would be sufficient payment for Ottawa.

SenatorsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

You guys want Kuba? He's very reliable defensively, and is a solid offensively as you can look at his PPG.

Sens would want a first round pick back, though which I don't think Caps would like.

How about Fleischmann....? What would it take to get him from the Caps?

Novak Djokovic is online now   Reply With Quote