HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Any chance we could get Volchenkov?

Old
01-20-2009, 01:23 PM
El Maestro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! View Post
You guys want Kuba? He's very reliable defensively, and is a solid offensively as you can look at his PPG.

Sens would want a first round pick back, though which I don't think Caps would like.

How about Fleischmann....? What would it take to get him from the Caps?
We need a physical defensemen, not Kuba... Moreover Flash isn't going anywhere, he stays with the Caps.

El Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Fleischmann is core now, I believe. Not going anywhere.

Given the record, I don't think the Caps consider any trades at the moment unless they involve shedding Nylander's salary. There is no desperation whatsoever for Washington to make a move.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 01:39 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! View Post
You guys want Kuba? He's very reliable defensively, and is a solid offensively as you can look at his PPG.

Sens would want a first round pick back, though which I don't think Caps would like.

How about Fleischmann....? What would it take to get him from the Caps?
Volchenkov

Actually, it would take that kind of overpayment to get Flash. He may be the most important player on the Caps outside the big 3/4 (Ovie, Backstrom, Green/Semin) because of his cap hit. He's not going to get traded this season unless it's for some huge addition, and Kuba doesn't really mean much to the Caps in that respect.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Yeah, it's not just the cap hit this year, but the fact that Fleischmann broke out in year one of a two-year deal. He will be an awfully good bargain next season at just $725,000 for the 2009-2010 season.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2009, 07:27 AM
King City Warrior

In today's game he was by far the senators best defence man, he played washington's best players perfectly. I hope he isn't traded, what a guy.

King City Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 12:15 AM
Alex28*

I've been watching more Ottawa games recently and he really does seem like a viable long-term solution to our decade-long defensive woes. Pretty sure the guy is as Russian Machine as Ovechkin if not more. Doesn't feel pain, hits like a monster, hustles well for his size, has adequate passing and clearing ability for a stay at home guy, takes one for the team whenever he can. Would probably be a better fit than Pronger, since he could stay around for a decade and doesn't have Pronger's cap or baggage, and is about as solid defensively.

Everyone and their grandmother knows we need a stay at home defenseman since god knows when, and it was way too evident in the LA game. If we had a committed shotblocker/punisher on defense, we'd have won that by a mile. The PK in general would be much better if there was someone willing to consistently lay down the body other than Laich, since that disrupts the entire flow of the play. It's good that McPhee is taking notice that our defense is crap but Alzner, good as he'll be one day, won't be the solution in the playoffs.

At this point, I'd go Fleischmann + Morrisson + 1st for him. Yeah, Flash is good, but we can win games without him and his trade value is greater than his value to the team. We're not going anywhere in the playoffs with this defensive core.

Green Alzner (first line pairing for the next 8 years or so, unless Carlson becomes a better fit. Alzner is the perfect guy to cover for Green, and Green is physical enough for most games)
Poti Volchenkov (the shutdown line, Volchenkov takes the bodies and Poti retrieves the puck from the chaos. Poti replaced with Carlson in later years)
Erskine Jurcina (the 12 minutes a game get off the ice without being scored upon line)

That core could actually get us somewhere this postseason assuming Erskine keeps up his level of play and Poti starts moving the puck like he was paid to.

Last edited by Alex28*: 02-07-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote