HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Therrien still feels secure despite 7th loss in past 8 games

Old
01-11-2009, 11:37 AM
cassius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
As far as Therrien's comments.. I'm not really sure what else he's supposed to say.
Yeah what do you expect him to say, "If we keep losing, I'm definitely going to get ****canned"

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Dupree13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Yeah what do you expect him to say, "If we keep losing, I'm definitely going to get ****canned"
Nah you can't expect him to say that. But it would be pretty damn funny if he did. Actually, if I was the GM, he would buy himself a little leeway by saying that.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Lustaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatonRougePen View Post
I'm with you on this. I want MT gone too, BUT damn, y'all think Shero has everything already set up. And y'all keep complaining about moves .... HELLO, you don't think the man has tried to move people?

Would you like to see what a trade talk b/w Shero and XYG GM sounds like right now. Listen ...

Shero: Hey man, how are you?
GM: Hey, what's going on.
Shero: Same old ... looking for players like you. You know that kid, the winger. What would it take to get him.
GM: Well, I not really looking to deal right now man. We are going pretty good right now (top teams in the East or West) OR Well, I'm gonna need that first round pick buddy (bottom teams in East or West.
Shero: C'mon man. You know I'm in a bind here. What about Satan or Dupuis. Maybe Whitney?
GM: Whitney AND ....
Shero: Nevamind man. Have a good one.

These other GM's aren't dumb. They will try to take Shero right now because they know HE NEEDS to do something.

C'mon people .... wake the **** up!
Agreeded. It's not so easy to make deals when you are in a position of weakness that the Pens and Shero are in right now. Good trades just don't happen over night and in the new salary cap world it's hard to move anyone pre-deadline.

What I do want to see happen is a coaching change, it's the only thing that Shero can really do right now besides putting certain players on waivers and just calling up the WBS kids and giving them a fair shot and honestly, we don't have a lot of depth down there.

Lustaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Jaded-Fan

I would rather have a GM that erred on the cautious side for a while than have knee jerk reactions like Tampa Bay seems to do. Ownership deserves a lot of credit as well. They stand to lose literally tens of millions of dollars if this team does not make the playoffs and are nonetheless allowing Shero to be cautious and think long term, meaning not making some trade just to make a trade and watch someone like a Staal grow into our next Markus Naslund elsewhere while we have trinkets and bobbles for the remainer of this season that we got in return. Organizations with that approach, while no guarentee of success, are hallmarks of what successful organizations in sports usually look like. And the Pens since the late 80's and early 90's overall have a history of being a succesful organization. Despite the barbs thrown our way, all evidence points that way. Only four seasons removed from a conference championship they made a cup finals last year. If this year does indeed become a lost year does anyone doubt that the core we have locked long term will not only compete but win not one but cups here in the future even if we do not add another star such as a Tavares or Hedman? Therrin deserves the barbs and accolades both. He is an intriguing and frustrating mixture of qualities that both have brought great success while leaving everyone scratching their heads at some time or another. But Shero has shown me little but good since here.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 11:53 AM
cassius

I don't buy much of this stuff about the Pens losing millions and millions of dollars.

Sure we're spending up to the cap, but the Pens have also sold a boatload of expensive season tickets in an old arena. Isn't there a 2 year waiting list or something?

I think they're going to be pretty stable financially and this isn't even considering mechandise sales,etc.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
I don't buy much of this stuff about the Pens losing millions and millions of dollars.

Sure we're spending up to the cap, but the Pens have also sold a boatload of expensive season tickets in an old arena. Isn't there a 2 year waiting list or something?

I think they're going to be pretty stable financially and this isn't even considering mechandise sales,etc.
You misread if referring to my post. I was saying if they miss the playoffs they will miss out on what? At least a couple million dollars a game. Those are the millions I was referring to and would be perhaps a reason for a bad management to make a knee jerk reaction and make a trade just to ensure making the playoffs.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I would rather have a GM that erred on the cautious side for a while than have knee jerk reactions like Tampa Bay seems to do. Ownership deserves a lot of credit as well. They stand to lose literally tens of millions of dollars if this team does not make the playoffs and are nonetheless allowing Shero to be cautious and think long term, meaning not making some trade just to make a trade and watch someone like a Staal grow into our next Markus Naslund elsewhere while we have trinkets and bobbles for the remainer of this season that we got in return. Organizations with that approach, while no guarentee of success, are hallmarks of what successful organizations in sports usually look like. And the Pens since the late 80's and early 90's overall have a history of being a succesful organization. Despite the barbs thrown our way, all evidence points that way. Only four seasons removed from a conference championship they made a cup finals last year. If this year does indeed become a lost year does anyone doubt that the core we have locked long term will not only compete but win not one but cups here in the future even if we do not add another star such as a Tavares or Hedman? Therrin deserves the barbs and accolades both. He is an intriguing and frustrating mixture of qualities that both have brought great success while leaving everyone scratching their heads at some time or another. But Shero has shown me little but good since here.
Good points, i agree with you for the most part. I do think there is a point where being too patient can turn into a weakness instead of a strength, but like you i have very little to complain about thus far as regards Shero's performance.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Katawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
I think Therrien is delusional and at this point I am starting to feel Shero should be blamed a bit more for this, as well as the ownership. The owners sunk in pretty much right to the cap to build another cup contender. The team is 10th place, you make changes when you suck this bad. Fire the damn idiotic coaching staff already.
AMEN.

Also .. you can't take these mainstream-media interviews at face value. The people interviewed usually deny any allegations .. automatically. This is typical.

In addition, it is typical for ownership/management to use the mainstream media as a propaganda tool for pure spin .. as in the Molinari interview in the Post-Gazette a few weeks ago in which everyone (supposedly) said that "it isn't a coaching problem". When you see that kind of article appear in the local mainstream news, it's usually a dead giveaway that the opposite is truly the case.

Katawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 12:18 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
He said what he had to say...

He really is doing a piss poor job w/ this team. Bottom line. And I'm not just jumping on this bandwagon now. I have not liked him as a coach since he got here. Everyone was happy w/ the results (as was I) but they were not directly because of him.

You're seeing the true MT @ his best.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:41 PM
Luigi Lemieux

the headline of the article is a little misleading. he never says he feels secure. he said he's not worried about it. he's not worried about it because it's out of his control. i'm sure he realizes his days as pens coach are nearing an end barring a miraculous turnaround. you can't expect anything but canned responses from the coach/gm in this situation.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
the headline of the article is a little misleading. he never says he feels secure. he said he's not worried about it. he's not worried about it because it's out of his control. i'm sure he realizes his days as pens coach are nearing an end barring a miraculous turnaround. you can't expect anything but canned responses from the coach/gm in this situation.
Exactly. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't expect to be fired very soon. Security has little to do with his actual statement.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Why can't he just man up and say "my game plan are soff!" or "I am ze dog sheet!"

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 04:17 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

"Shero is too soff to fire me"

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

"I own team now... manage too. Mario and Ray are nice guys but der soff."

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:

While they have sold those tickets for the regular season, they haven't for the postseason. If they don't make the playoffs, they won't make money off of playoff tickets. I know that this is kind of obvious, but the point that Jaded was making was pretty obvious too...

Clarence Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Chazz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony66 View Post

Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:22 PM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony66 View Post
lol...

Anyways, I may be a bit pissed off at Shero but yeah to make a trade would be stupid knowing the team is struggling, I've been an advocate of firing the coach first and seeing what a new coach could do with a new system and direction. It's the coaching staff I am pissed off about.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Leroux 66

Therrien is starting to get on my nerves, but his assistants moreso, why couldn't savard have been hired in florida and then he would have taken that useless pos yeo with him.

Leroux 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 10:13 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

I know it's the internet and all, but people have absurdly unrealistic ideas of what coaches, players and management should say to the media.

What the hell is Therrien supposed to say? "Hey, I'm ****ing up everywhere, but nobody's actually fired me yet, so I'm gonna pretend it's cool?"

C'mon. Everyone should know better by now.

It's 2009, can we not act totally surprised when coaches don't acknowledge the fact that they very well might lose their jobs? Can we not be totally flabbergasted when every other GM in the league doesn't want to get hosed in a deal?

For ****'s sake, people.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Therrien is the Owner's guy. Until that changes, his job probably is secure.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 01:23 AM
vcx*

I love how people outside of the fan base think the problems are with the players and not the coach.

Powerplay sucks, who runs it? Yeo
Chemistry sucks and the line combo's, who runs it? Therrien
The system blows and it isn't working, who's system? Therrien
Defensemen aren't sharp and getting the job done on a consistent basis, who teaches them? Savard...

The coaching staff sucks, not just the coach. I don't want to see either of the three back.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 01:59 AM
PenguinGuru*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
I love how people outside of the fan base think the problems are with the players and not the coach.

Powerplay sucks, who runs it? Yeo
Chemistry sucks and the line combo's, who runs it? Therrien
The system blows and it isn't working, who's system? Therrien
Defensemen aren't sharp and getting the job done on a consistent basis, who teaches them? Savard...

The coaching staff sucks, not just the coach. I don't want to see either of the three back.
They can fire the whole staff along with the GM who hired them for all I care. But every time a teams power play sucks around the league is it always the coaches fault? Or the chemistry, sharpness, execution?

There are teams with a top 10 power play that aren't going to make the playoffs, and there are teams with bottom 10 power plays that will make the playoffs. There is no such thing as a perfect coaching staff, nobody has all the answers all the time and they aren't as important as you seem to think they are.

PenguinGuru* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 05:11 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Michael Faber had a column about coaches in the hot seat (Quinn related) and included a caveat about Pens being one of the least likely teams to accept having a coach on the payroll while not working for the dollars.

Without knowing just how much that influences things, I still think it ends this week. Won't make a guess after which game, but Philly, Caps and Ducks for the next three ones up... in four days.... that is not a program that credibly lends itself to many points for us in our current shape. Its likely the end of the line, fellas.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 05:45 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
Michael Faber had a column about coaches in the hot seat (Quinn related) and included a caveat about Pens being one of the least likely teams to accept having a coach on the payroll while not working for the dollars.
They could buy him out, if they prefer that option.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 06:43 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

well, you are between a rock and a hard place. the players hate him, it is obvious he is the one to go. he is also the easiest and quickest answer that can be made (doesn't count against any cap, no trades need to be made).

but, he is signed long term. so it all comes down to money. do they want to pay him not to coach, or miss out on the playoff money. it looks like an easy decision, but it's not your money, it's there's.

if it were me, I would fire the coach, hire Quinn and cross my fingers. recoup the money in the playoffs.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote