HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Therrien still feels secure despite 7th loss in past 8 games

Old
01-13-2009, 12:44 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
This

Yes we all do not have the same views but MT does have the job to right the ship so if there is any moves that are going to come, Shero can make a fair assessment.
I like how I made a statement even I didn't really agree with but you did...shows how we're kinda at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
First the players need to do there part, then Terrian and finally Shero + ownergroup...

In the end i am sure what ever has been decided will be in the best interest of the team, What ever happens. we do not know everything and could only speculate.

Players only meeting, add owners group love of Terrian, Mixed bag of injuries this year.. and i am sure there's more...The players do not have to play for the coach, but like last year, they played for each other... that's what is going to win games..They showed signs of it last game. lets see where it goes....It really cant go anymore south...at worst they level line and crash, but they still have a pulse...
Who's Terrian?

Makes me think of this...

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:52 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Well all signs point to Therrien being the problem. Besides going into all his tactical deficiencies and his insistance of either not using, or misusing good players to his equal insistance of using the bad players instead. Lets say we turn a blind eye to all of that and assume it doesnt exist...

No one player makes the entire team play like garbage for a long period of time. No one player makes the team seemingly give up early on into a game.

So what can management do? Trade away the majority of the entire roster? That isnt remotely realistic, and still not guaranteed to do a damn thing. But they certainly can fire the guy with all the deficiencies noted above.. That would be the first damn thing to do to try to stop this slide.

I rarely am a betting man. But I would bet the damn farm that if Therrien got fired that this team would correct it's course and make the playoffs.

For a side note, this is also the first time I have ever strongly disliked the coach and wanted his removal for any professional sports team I have ever been a fan of. This isnt like a knee jerk reaction here, its something that just happens to be painfully obvious as the biggest impediment to this teams success.
I totally agree with your assessment...but the fact still remains that we just don't really know everything.

I'll play devil's advocate here a little more...if you look at Therrien's resume and accomplishments with the Pens, he does deserve a chance to fix what's broken. If he's the problem, it'll confirm he needs to get fired. If he isn't, he has a chance to prove his worth here.

The downside is that we're kinda playing with this season's success a little too much...and not like it justifies it but it probably has to do with the investment the Pens just made in Therrien.

I think they should can him asap...but it's not like he hasn't earned an opportunity to fix whatever's wrong with this team. I hate saying it...but that's kind of how I see it...and I hate Therrien.

Old
01-13-2009, 02:51 PM
The Doof Warrior

I don't think he should feel worried unless this so called abuse of our players is true. I would much rather see Savard or Yeo fired before Therrien. I'll never understand the world of pro sports. If we're losing the coach NEEDS to go but if we're winning does that mean he gets a raise? How unfair these things can be...

Last edited by The Doof Warrior: 01-13-2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: wanted to add more
The Doof Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Katawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
I totally agree with your assessment...but the fact still remains that we just don't really know everything.

I'll play devil's advocate here a little more...if you look at Therrien's resume and accomplishments with the Pens, he does deserve a chance to fix what's broken. If he's the problem, it'll confirm he needs to get fired. If he isn't, he has a chance to prove his worth here.

The downside is that we're kinda playing with this season's success a little too much...and not like it justifies it but it probably has to do with the investment the Pens just made in Therrien.

I think they should can him asap...but it's not like he hasn't earned an opportunity to fix whatever's wrong with this team. I hate saying it...but that's kind of how I see it...and I hate Therrien.
It's very .. umm .. {yeah, I know .. I'm "not allowed" to say that it's obvious} .. it's beyond obvious by now .. that there's no way in hell that Therrien is going to "right this ship". There is a thick, impenetrable barrier there .. and there is a total disconnect there. Humpty Dumpty fell a long time ago. It's been over for a long time. This is the whole point of the matter. You and many others still (incredibly) aren't grasping the essence of what has happened.

OK .. flame away !!

Katawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Katawah

Quote:
Well all signs point to Therrien being the problem. Besides going into all his tactical deficiencies and his insistance of either not using, or misusing good players to his equal insistance of using the bad players instead. Lets say we turn a blind eye to all of that and assume it doesnt exist...

No one player makes the entire team play like garbage for a long period of time. No one player makes the team seemingly give up early on into a game.

So what can management do? Trade away the majority of the entire roster? That isnt remotely realistic, and still not guaranteed to do a damn thing. But they certainly can fire the guy with all the deficiencies noted above.. That would be the first damn thing to do to try to stop this slide.

I rarely am a betting man. But I would bet the damn farm that if Therrien got fired that this team would correct it's course and make the playoffs.

For a side note, this is also the first time I have ever strongly disliked the coach and wanted his removal for any professional sports team I have ever been a fan of. This isnt like a knee jerk reaction here, its something that just happens to be painfully obvious as the biggest impediment to this teams success.
Very good post.

Old
01-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Katawah

Quote:
I saw a snippet on tiops saying

I refuse to pay for that site so I don't know what the rest says.

If this is infact true I am slowly losing respect for Lemieux who was completely infallable to me earlier.

I am just so damn frustrated with this crap coach. It seems like he can do whatever the hell he wants and not ever have his job in question. It almost seems like he is even freaking cocky about it. How long is management going to sit on their damn laurels while we slowly slip out of any possible playoff contention?

Something that is obvious to pretty much 95% of the people here, and now even most of the media is chiming in yet Mario and Shero still are behind this scrub?
I am beginning to lose respect for Lemieux over this failure to replace the coaching. I do hate to have to say it .. but it's the truth. There's just no getting around it now.

Old
01-13-2009, 03:32 PM
The Doof Warrior

I'll admit in the beginning I just sort of felt bad for MT because it might not be him thats the problem but now that I think of it, he has done a lot of bad/wrong things. He refuses to change things even when they're not working. Many people question his line pairings (even when we're winning). He refuses to scratch people while scratching other people who don't deserve it. I could go on but I don't feel like writing a book. I have to agree with Katawah, this ship isn't going to be righted.

The Doof Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:16 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katawah View Post
It's very .. umm .. {yeah, I know .. I'm "not allowed" to say that it's obvious} .. it's beyond obvious by now .. that there's no way in hell that Therrien is going to "right this ship". There is a thick, impenetrable barrier there .. and there is a total disconnect there. Humpty Dumpty fell a long time ago. It's been over for a long time. This is the whole point of the matter. You and many others still (incredibly) aren't grasping the essence of what has happened.

OK .. flame away !!
First off...I agree he should probably be removed. But then there's a small, sensible, unbiased part of me that understands you can't just fire a coach willy-nilly (and I'm allowed to use that word if you're going to start using fairytale analogies).

I've never thought he was the guy..ever. It's well documented on these boards. I even spoke up when it wasn't the generally accepted notion around here...so don't start telling me I'm not "grasping the essence of what has happened"...what ever that means.

But for as much as I know he isn't the right guy...this is his opportunity to prove me, you and every other person who disagrees with him and his coaching style and staff wrong. For as bad as he's been, he's earned the right to fix this. If he can't, then he can justifiably be fired.

There's a certain "essence" an organization needs to have to be successful...and that starts with loyalty. Sure, I think they're being loyal to the wrong guy...but what do I know? Maybe it's just the team giving him his fair shake?

But my thinking is uncommon around message boards. I like to look at both sides and try my best to make a fair decision based on what I know. And so do a good amount of posters on this board...that's why I post here. But this, "nuke the earth", "you're dumb I'm smart" approach to this topic is just silly.

Yeah...you don't like him. We get it...neither do I. But look at it from the organization's standpoint...it's probably the right thing to do for the meantime, as much as I disagree with it...I understand it.

This is where you can tell me I drank the koolaid or whatever and can go on another rant about the only subject you seem to like posting about.

Old
01-13-2009, 05:50 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Rob Rossi on MM show today.

Rossi's thoughts on Therrien "situation"

RR: "I thought a week or so back that Therrien's job was in danger. Now I don't believe that. Talking with Ray Shero, he feels that this is all part of the growing pains of a young team, and something that they have to grow through to get better. So I don't feel Therrien's job is any jeopardy.

I also get the feeling that they do not want to eat that contract extension."

td_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:58 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post

RR: "I thought a week or so back that Therrien's job was in danger. Now I don't believe that. Talking with Ray Shero, he feels that this is all part of the growing pains of a young team, and something that they have to grow through to get better. So I don't feel Therrien's job is any jeopardy.

Wouldn't the major growing pains happen before the SCF appearance?

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Gooch

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post

I am slowly losing faith in Shero with each day of this. There is obviously something wrong with this team that is outside of the normal "growing pains" or whatever bullcrap they are saying. I don't want a trade, I want a firing but right now I would settle to see him do at least something to address that this is not a team that can win a stanley cup, coaches included.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 08:35 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Again, I'm not a Therrien supporter, however I think tonight kind of confirmed a lot of what I have said throughout this thread.

Therrien implemented a system, got the team to buy into it and it won them the game tonight. I don't love trap hockey, but this team proved they could play it...imagine what it will look like once they've gotten familiar with it. MT is also good at getting the team to embrace the "underdog" role...something they weren't able to do since their cup run. Maybe that's the catalyst...I dunno...

I also thought the lineup was really good tonight. They scratched who they should've, everyone played their position, and Cooke looked great on the top line.

So Therrien is given his shot to start turning the season around and he took some very positive steps. Now let's see if it last for longer than 1 game.

Old
01-13-2009, 08:41 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Again, I'm not a Therrien supporter, however I think tonight kind of confirmed a lot of what I have said throughout this thread.

Therrien implemented a system, got the team to buy into it and it won them the game tonight. I don't love trap hockey, but this team proved they could play it...imagine what it will look like once they've gotten familiar with it. MT is also good at getting the team to embrace the "underdog" role...something they weren't able to do since their cup run. Maybe that's the catalyst...I dunno...

I also thought the lineup was really good tonight. They scratched who they should've, everyone played their position, and Cooke looked great on the top line.

So Therrien is given his shot to start turning the season around and he took some very positive steps. Now let's see if it last for longer than 1 game.
I agree. I'd rather cut my own feet off than see Therrien stay our coach at this point, but if this is the turning point where he starts being open to changing his philosophies to help the team and creating a lineup based on putting the best players on the ice, i've got no problem with him. As long as the Pens win, i could care less who's behind the bench ... and if they can continue to play like they did tonight, they'll win more often than not.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:01 AM
HandshakeLine
pro sports bettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob Talbot View Post
I agree. I'd rather cut my own feet off than see Therrien stay our coach at this point, but if this is the turning point where he starts being open to changing his philosophies to help the team and creating a lineup based on putting the best players on the ice, i've got no problem with him. As long as the Pens win, i could care less who's behind the bench ... and if they can continue to play like they did tonight, they'll win more often than not.
This, historically has been my major, major beef with Therrien. He just doesn't react quickly (or even well, most of the time) to changing situations. If somehow he finally realizes that the team needs to use different approaches to different opponents and on-ice situations and starts running the team according to its strengths, I will eat some crow and like it.

But again, one game does not win us the Cup. Get the team back to the SCF. Then we'll talk about how he's improved.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote