HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

What were the Line Combinations for the 2003 Devils

Old
04-22-2014, 08:25 AM
PhillyBluesFan

vCash: 500
What were the Line Combinations for the 2003 Devils

Forward and defense. I know it probable got tweaked a bit through out the year but specifically for the playoffs

PhillyBluesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 08:49 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

In the playoffs, the lines were actually remarkably stable.

Patrik Elias- Scott Gomez - Grant Marshall
Jeff Friesen - Joe Nieuwendyk - Jamie Langenbrunner*
Jay Pandolfo - John Madden - Brian Gionta*
Sergei Brylin** - Pascal Rheume - Turner Stevenson

*Langenbrunner and Gionta were sometimes switched when Burns wanted to add Langenbrunner's scoring and physical play to the 3rd line (Gionta hadn't developed yet).

**Jim McKenzie started the playoffs on the 4th line until Brylin came back from injury.

Mike Rupp famously took Nieuwendyk's spot in the finals after he was injured.

Scott Stevens - Brian Rafalsi
Colin White - Scott Niedermayer
Tommy Albelin - Ken Daneyko/Oleg Tverdovsky

The top 4 was very stable and played huge minutes. The bottom pairing was constantly changed, but eventually a 38 year old Tommy Albelin won the spot for good. His partner was usually Daneyko (couldn't skate anymore) or Tverdovsky (stunk in his own zone). Richard Smehlik (just plain stunk) saw some bottom pairing time, as well.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 08:56 AM
PhillyBluesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
In the playoffs, the lines were actually remarkably stable.

Patrik Elias- Scott Gomez - Grant Marshall
Jeff Friesen - Joe Nieuwendyk - Jamie Langenbrunner*
Jay Pandolfo - John Madden - Brian Gionta*
Sergei Brylin** - Pascal Rheume - Turner Stevenson

*Langenbrunner and Gionta were sometimes switched when Burns wanted to add Langenbrunner's scoring and physical play to the 3rd line (Gionta hadn't developed yet).

**Jim McKenzie started the playoffs on the 4th line until Brylin came back from injury.

Mike Rupp famously took Nieuwendyk's spot in the finals after he was injured.

Scott Stevens - Brian Rafalsi
Colin White - Scott Niedermayer
Tommy Albelin - Ken Daneyko/Oleg Tverdovsky

The top 4 was very stable and played huge minutes. The bottom pairing was constantly changed, but eventually a 38 year old Tommy Albelin won the spot for good. His partner was usually Daneyko (couldn't skate anymore) or Tverdovsky (stunk in his own zone). Richard Smehlik (just plain stunk) saw some bottom pairing time, as well.
Thanks.

Were Stevens and Daneyko still the top PK line?

PhillyBluesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 09:05 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyBluesFan View Post
Thanks.

Were Stevens and Daneyko still the top PK line?
Daneyko only played 13 of 24 games and I do remember that he saw very limited minutes even in the games he played. It was one of those things where a player was rapidly declining in front of your eyes.

I'm not 100% sure on the following, but I believe Stevens-White ended up being the top PK pairing for most, if not all, of the playoffs.

That would leave Niedermayer to anchor the 2nd PK pairing. Not entirely sure who his most common partner was; I would imagine all of Rafalski, Albelin, and Daneyko saw some time. I remember Niedermayer-Rafalski PKed together at some point and being worried about how soft they were.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 10:28 AM
Terry Yake

seeing those names still haunts me, especially that idiot friesen

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

I actually kind of wish we had a stickied thread of every championship team(+ some?)'s lines.(at least loosely) With an explanation post like TheDevilMadeMe with specific context. Information like that is hard to come by.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 03:37 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Very balanced team. Completely forgot that Smehlik was on NJ that spring.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 07:02 PM
Brodeur

To this day, I'm still a little puzzled how that team won a Cup. Especially considering that Mike Rupp was the de facto #2 center for the deciding games. Pascal Rheaume came up huge after the Nieuwendyk injury and absorbed a lot of those minutes as well. He became a Group V UFA after the season but nobody offered him a deal despite a reasonably good playoff outing.

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 10:46 PM
SnowblindNYR

Yeah, outside of the top 3 D-men on that team, Elias in his prime, and Brodeur that team just doesn't look that great to me, yet they ripped through the first two rounds, beat a super-talented Ottawa team, and then was the only team to solve Giguere.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 10:48 PM
SnowblindNYR

BTW, I thought Tverdovsky was on the 03 Ducks, no? I thought he scored against Dallas.

Old
04-24-2014, 01:06 AM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
BTW, I thought Tverdovsky was on the 03 Ducks, no? I thought he scored against Dallas.

Devils traded Sykora+ to Anaheim for Friesen and Tverdovsky in July 2002. Was a little funny to both teams make the Finals after making the deal.

I was bummed that Tverdovsky didn't do better. Devils were searching for somebody who fit as well as Vladimir Malakhov had during the 2000 Cup run. Tverdovsky more or less admitted that he had difficulty playing a simplified game. Devils tried to trade him after the season but nobody was interested; His qualifying offer was 3.6 million. Ended up going back to Russia for a couple of seasons.

Off the top of my head, maybe you're confusing Tverdovsky with Sandis Ozolinsh who was a deadline acquisition for the Ducks that year?

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 10:44 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post

Devils traded Sykora+ to Anaheim for Friesen and Tverdovsky in July 2002. Was a little funny to both teams make the Finals after making the deal.

I was bummed that Tverdovsky didn't do better. Devils were searching for somebody who fit as well as Vladimir Malakhov had during the 2000 Cup run. Tverdovsky more or less admitted that he had difficulty playing a simplified game. Devils tried to trade him after the season but nobody was interested; His qualifying offer was 3.6 million. Ended up going back to Russia for a couple of seasons.

Off the top of my head, maybe you're confusing Tverdovsky with Sandis Ozolinsh who was a deadline acquisition for the Ducks that year?
No. But I do think Sykora in OT scored against Dallas which is ironic since the trade was for each other and I thought Tverdovsky scored.

Old
04-26-2014, 09:49 AM
Sticks and Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Yeah, outside of the top 3 D-men on that team, Elias in his prime, and Brodeur that team just doesn't look that great to me, yet they ripped through the first two rounds, beat a super-talented Ottawa team, and then was the only team to solve Giguere.
The Devils got lucky in the second round that year in that they got to play an inexperienced Lightning team whereas the Sens had to face a talented Flyers team. Then the Devils basically used their trap system and experience to beat a very talented but not so experienced Sens team. Giguere pretty much lost his magic after the long layover between beating the conference finals and Cup finals. I think the Devils won that year due to other teams imploding. Had a team like Dallas, Detroit or Colorado made it to the Finals, I don't think the Devils would have won the Cup.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote