HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Richard Riot 60th anniversary: Quebec’s hero

Old
03-18-2015, 09:49 AM
Fenway

vCash: 152
Richard Riot 60th anniversary: Quebec’s hero

From Sportsnet

Quote:
The Richard Riot in 1955 was the defining moment that turned Maurice “Rocket” Richard into more than just a hockey player- it is when he became a myth.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/r...urice-richard/

VIDEO - http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/r...cket-man-myth/

I only met Richard once on the final night of Boston Garden. He told me he was not sad to see the Garden close, it was not his favorite place. My Dad and older brother were at the game in Boston when Richard went nuts and a few years before he died I asked Bruins TV announcer Fred Cusick if it was as bad as everyone said and he replied 'Oh My God yes.'

I can't believe that Clarence Campbell thought he could go to the game and nobody would bother him.

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2015, 10:20 AM
rfournier103

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
From Sportsnet

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/r...urice-richard/

VIDEO - http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/r...cket-man-myth/

I only met Richard once on the final night of Boston Garden. He told me he was not sad to see the Garden close, it was not his favorite place. My Dad and older brother were at the game in Boston when Richard went nuts and a few years before he died I asked Bruins TV announcer Fred Cusick if it was as bad as everyone said and he replied 'Oh My God yes.'

I can't believe that Clarence Campbell thought he could go to the game and nobody would bother him.
Love him or hate him (or the Canadiens); there is no doubt that Maurice Richard was a transcendent figure in sports history. He galvanized an entire ethnic group like so few ever have - truly one of only a small handful.

I believe that had Clarence Campbell NOT attended the game in an attempt to display his overly macho defiance; the riot would not have happened. I can understand not wanting to look cowardly, and not wanting "the mob" to dictate to him where the President of the NHL may go; but I think had he acted with more prudence the riot would not have happened. He foolishly placed his life, and the lives of many others in jeopardy.

Many people rank Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Orr, Gordie Howe, and Mario Lemieux numbers 1-4 on the list of all-time greats. Sure, there is sometimes debate about the order, but that's generally the accepted top 4. After that, it gets somewhat murkier. I think Maurice Richard is often overlooked by many as being one of the all-time greats. Of course, his place in history is kept alive by the die-hard Montreal apologists; but I think the rest of the hockey world doesn't really give him his due. Murals of Wayne Gretzky and Bobby Orr adorn the set of NHL Tonight like mosaics of patron saints in a church. We see many stars from hockey's storied history in the intro to "Hockey Night in Canada". No Richard to be found anywhere. Is it because of the riot?

I think a strong case could be made for Richard being the 5th best player of all time. I wouldn't mind having him on MY team. Maybe at times a tad TOO intense, but an explosive player.

PS: I know the goal scoring champion is presented with the "Richard Trophy", but in time people may forget who he really was; the way many non-diehard fans of the game don't know who Art Ross, Jack Adams, and Conn Smythe were.

rfournier103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2015, 10:27 AM
Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfournier103 View Post
We see many stars from hockey's storied history in the intro to "Hockey Night in Canada". No Richard to be found anywhere. Is it because of the riot?
On the RDS intro no player is shown bigger on the screen than Richard and his picture is placed over a Montreal cathedral.

Old
03-18-2015, 10:31 AM
rfournier103

Quote:
On the RDS intro no player is shown bigger on the screen than Richard and his picture is placed over a Montreal cathedral.

Never saw the RDS intro before. Pardon my ignorance, but isn't RDS the French language network that televises the NHL? I am NOT surprised that Richard is bigger than anyone on THAT telecast. Not even surprised that he's superimposed over a cathedral.

Thanks for the video!

Old
03-18-2015, 10:36 AM
Fenway

Quote:
Never saw the RDS intro before. Pardon my ignorance, but isn't RDS the French language network that televises the NHL? I am NOT surprised that Richard is bigger than anyone on THAT telecast. Not even surprised that he's superimposed over a cathedral.

Thanks for the video!
RDS is the francophone version of TSN. They lost the national rights to the NHL this season to TVA but they still have the local Montreal TV rights for non national games.

Old
03-18-2015, 10:39 AM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
We see many stars from hockey's storied history in the intro to "Hockey Night in Canada". No Richard to be found anywhere. Is it because of the riot?
What kind of presence did the Habs have on HNIC in the 50s? I only started watching in 1986, but if HNIC in the 50s had the same emphasis on the Leafs that it did in the 80s and 90s, I can see him being left out simply because he has no connection to HNIC.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2015, 10:42 AM
rfournier103

Quote:
RDS is the francophone version of TSN. They lost the national rights to the NHL this season to TVA but they still have the local Montreal TV rights for non national games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
What kind of presence did the Habs have on HNIC in the 50s? I only started watching in 1986, but if HNIC in the 50s had the same emphasis on the Leafs that it did in the 80s and 90s, I can see him being left out simply because he has no connection to HNIC.

Got it. Thanks.

Old
03-18-2015, 10:43 AM
Canadiens1958

March 17, 1955 Clips

From an October 5, 1960 CBC compilation, clips of the events of March 17, 1955. Game action is improvised - clip of Boston vs Montréal. At the end you have a clip of Maurice richard skating at the Forum with his son Normand.

http://archives.radio-canada.ca/sante/hockey/clips/339/

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2015, 10:45 AM
Fenway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
Montreal was given equal billing on HNIC in those years and Danny Gallivan was as well known as Foster Hewitt.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...anny-gallivan/