HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

MacTavish rips Rob Schremp in press conference

Old
01-11-2009, 07:00 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

vCash: 500
Schremp is a symbol of all things wrong with the Oilers organizaton, top to bottom. He is just another player that shouldn't have to work to get his chance in the show. He's all hype and nothing to back it up, just like the Oilers have been for almost a decade. The only success they have had is playing the exact type of hockey MacT has been trying to get the organization to play, with the type of players it takes to win in this league, and he gets run over because he won't let the team play "Oilers hockey". The fans have to get past this belief that a free wheeling team filled with soft one way talent. Those days are gone. MacT is right on this one

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Bill_Crosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Skating View Post
MacTavish is the biggest joke in the league.

Penner was 12th in the NHL last year in PP goals and the idiot took him off the PP to start the year.

He tells the media that since Penner is playing in a checking role with Pisani and Moreau that the media and fans need to readjust their expectations of Penner.

Then when Penner isn't producing MacTavish calls him out.

Penner was +8 at the time MacTavish called him out, good for best on the team.

When Penner played with Horc and Hemsky last year they were all close to PP players.

Penners reassurance has nothing to do with MacT calling him out and everything with playing him with capable players.

Penner led Edmonton in goals last year and this stupid moron plays him in a 3rd line checking role.. what the hell do you expect?

A couple weeks ago MacTavish pleaded to the media that the team need to stick together saying "The calvary is not coming. We need to stick together. We need to work together." Not even a few hours after he made that statement he absolutely shredded Robert Nilsson to the media.

Rob Schremp has 3 points in 4 games and a +2 rating yet "Rob Schremp can't help us win."

Liam Reddox has 4 points in 18 games and a -2 rating yet he's playing on the first line with Horcoff and Penner.

The difference of course is that Reddox is cut from the same mold as useless ***** like Bucky and CrapT.

**** You MacT!
Hockey nerdrage at it's finest gentlemen.

Bill_Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:02 PM
TOML

Since when is Rob Shremp, a smallish playmaker, an answer for Edmonton right now? They don't need more guys like him in the lineup.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Crosby View Post
Hockey nerdrage at it's finest gentlemen.
Who are you again?

Anyways... Edmonton employed Rob Daum, who's coached kids in college for 20+ years and coincidentally Edmonton had there best developmental year in the last couple decades.

What does Edmonton do? They fired him and replaced him with Bucky, who's only coaching experience was a disaster in the AHL last year where he was basically last or near last in every category.

Great call MacT.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:06 PM
AgentNaslund*

thats kinda cruel, you can call a player out but to say hes not big not fast, what the hell man. Kinda happy Oilers drafted him. At the time I really wanted Vancouver to draft Shremp.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:08 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Who are you again?

Anyways... Edmonton employed Rob Daum, who's coached kids in college for 20+ years and coincidentally Edmonton had there best developmental year in the last couple decades.

What does Edmonton do? They fired him and replaced him with Bucky, who's only coaching experience was a disaster in the AHL last year where he was basically last or near last in every category.

Great call MacT.

Those decisions would be that of the general manager, not the coach. You want to have a tantrum go ahead, but at least blame the right guy. Klowe is the guy that deserves your criticism.

Old
01-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Of course it's ripping him to publicly name him by name and specifically state his shortcomings. It's also incredibly stupid and could hurt whatever value he might have as trade bait.

Imagine if a player came out and said about a coach, "This guy doesn't deserve a job in the NHL. He can't figure out lines, his handling of players is horrendous, he is awful with the media and he hasn't won at the NHL level and even was a losing coach in the AHL and JR."

Even if it was all true it would be ripping the coach.

Most coaches would never publicly humiliate a player like MacT did.
The difference is that everything Mactavish said was true, and not "sour grapes" like a player ripping on a coach would be.

I agree it's bush league to criticize a player to the media - but after trying all other options sometime a coach need to do it as a last desperate grasp at getting a player to put forth the extra effort it takes. It's not like Shremp has a lot of value right now. I assume that Lowe/Tambellini/Mactavish have all had conversations w/ Shremp on what they want to see from him. If he's not delivering that and making progress - what else are they supposed to do?

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Oil View Post
Those decisions would be that of the general manager, not the coach. You want to have a tantrum go ahead, but at least blame the right guy. Klowe is the guy that deserves your criticism.
Are you really that obtuse?

The coach chooses his assistants.

It is common sense.

Old
01-11-2009, 07:13 PM
PanniniClaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kordic View Post
Do you really think profesionnal scouts who watches prospects all year long don't know this already
Do you realize pro scouts are often "senate" like appointments - going to ex players that may have played but do not necessarily know how to evaluate talent. I have little faith in most pro scouts.

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Traktor*

Schremp had 3 points in 4 games and a +2 rating. Edmonton was 3-1 with Schremp in the lineup.

What more do you want from the guy?

This has nothing to do with Schremp and everything to do with his adoration for players like Reddox who play the game like he did (dump and change. repeat.).

Old
01-11-2009, 07:20 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Who are you again?
A poster on here?

01-11-2009, 07:21 PM
punchdrunk

Guess hes been chilling with Barry Melrose.

punchdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226

It's time for MacT to leave. Soon Schremp will request a trade. IMO he has potential to be a 1st liner in edmonton with Hemsky soon, but he's not getting the chance.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:24 PM
vcx*

Schremp has the skills but maybe the AHL isn't the place for him to really make a name for himself. I say go to the KHL, tear it up and put up stats that rival Jagr and Morozov (lulz) and then get people interested.

I still think he's a solid prospect, just not in the right situation in Edmonton.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Airborne Troll*

Wow

The kid got owned by MacTavish in that press conference

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:27 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Are you really that obtuse?

The coach chooses his assistants.

It is common sense.
Coaches do not always get to choose their assistants. A lot of incoming coaches have to accept some of the guys left from the previous regime. Plus, you're talking about a minor league coach, which is a general manager's decision and has nothing to do with the NHL coach.

Old
01-11-2009, 07:28 PM
ugotmybeef*

If I'm Schremp I ask for a trade. Get away from a dysfunctional organization.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
He just has to stick it out for the rest of this season, I think he becomes a RFA next year and he'll get a 1 way contract from someone. If not then he's a complete bust.

Iggy-4-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Traded to where? Another AHL team?

Indeed. If someone suggests you need to improve, blame your surroundings. Don't look in the mirror.

Generation Soft.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Wheatking

Maybe Schremp was just never as good as his stats indicated. I mean he put up huge numbers in his final year in the OHL but he was also a 19 year old playing against 17 year olds. He also got an insane amount of ice time. I just don't think his ceiling was never as high as everyone though. Go compare his stats as a 17 year old to other guys that have gone on to be first line players in the NHL and you'll see they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:44 PM
vcx*

Quote:
Not many players have the guts to do something like that. Schremp can wait out his contract, continue to gain experience and get better or he can wait till he is an RFA, go to Europe and play with some of the best talent that isn't in the NHL at the moment and see how that goes. Some players come back better and others really find out what their problem is when outside of the organization that they thought wasn't the right fit. Who knows, after a season in the KHL if he can tear it up, the Oilers might really want him back and if not, a team might trade for his rights.

I just know that there are players that go away and come back more confident when they go to Europe to play, some need a change of scenery by the way of a new team and a new system for development, others need more.

I wouldn't write off Schremp just yet. I think I remember people saying Savard was too slow when he was a Ranger or something like that, even when he was a Flames player. Looks like he found his game, no?

Old
01-11-2009, 07:45 PM
detredWINgs

Why has half the league forgotten how to develop prospects? If any prospect comes up and is marked "some assembly required", half the coaches and GMs in this league throw a hissy and throw the player under the bus.

Detroit would have a field day landing a "bust" like Schremp and turning him into a reliable player.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Schenn Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Oil View Post
Yeah, because pro scouts, the guys who evaluate talent and inform their management of a player's capabilities and potential, and likely to be swayed by a coach's comments in a presser. The only one hurting Schremp's value is Schremp with his play.
No doubt, Schremp's shortcomings are well known, but it hamstrings any attempt by the Oiler's GM to trade him for anything, no matter how small, when it is obvious that the current Oiler coaching regime has no use for the guy.

Someone offers a 6th round pick for Schremp. Oilers counter by asking for a fourth. The other GM doesn't have to cave, because MacT has made it obvious that there is no place for Schremp in Edmonton. He's not a player that they seem willing to try to play through his struggles. He has almost zero value to the Oilers, and MacT is just making it more and more obvious.

Schenn Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:58 PM
In The Flesh

would love to see what Renney could do with this kid. What would it take??

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 07:59 PM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
would love to see what Renney could do with this kid. What would it take??
Probably Prucha.