HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

What have i missed?

Old
01-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

vCash: 500
What have i missed?

Ok, so i have been on holidays without the internet for the past 2 weeks....
Would be fantastic if someone could give me a snippet of the feelings about the team and players and results that have occured in that time. i would read the media but i find it much more informative going through the day to day Capitals with you all most days....
Whos back?
Whos playing good? bad?
How has Bruce been going?

Just a general summation of how everything has been going to start the new year!

Cheers.

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Foy

Everything is the way it was at the beginning of the season.

Semin is scoring, Ovy isn't.
Nylander is producing
Jurcina and his partner have been bad.
The goalie we expected to play well has sucked, the goalie some thought she be packing his bags has been very good.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

thanks mate.

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 10:24 PM
hashmarks

And Leonsis freaked out after the loss to the jackets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agJvr8VmlMU

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
And Leonsis freaked out after the loss to the jackets:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agJvr8VmlMU
everytime someone bothers with a new one of those they get more and more asinine. I think Columbus is more shocked that they won than we actually care.

Old
01-11-2009, 11:27 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
everytime someone bothers with a new one of those they get more and more asinine. I think Columbus is more shocked that they won than we actually care.
So you aren't surprised that you got beat by a team that had seven regulars out of their lineup? Oooh, that isn't good.

You can bet your bottom dollar the jackets, and their fans, are surprised to win that game. They had no business winning vs. a high powered team like the Caps with that lineup. None.

Old
01-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
I think Columbus is more shocked that they won than we actually care.
Ugh, don't be that guy. The Caps aren't good enough yet for that kind of condescending crap.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 11:47 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Ugh, don't be that guy. The Caps aren't good enough yet for that kind of condescending crap.

Breath of fresh air.

Old
01-12-2009, 07:57 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
So you aren't surprised that you got beat by a team that had seven regulars out of their lineup? Oooh, that isn't good.

You can bet your bottom dollar the jackets, and their fans, are surprised to win that game. They had no business winning vs. a high powered team like the Caps with that lineup. None.
I think a lot of people here expected a letdown from that game. That's just the way the Caps are...

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

January is going to be tough, with three back-to-backs and a some tough opposition. I expected the Montreal result, but the Columbus game stung. Granted, Mason was a game-time decision, but even with him in the lineup, I was hoping that would be one of the Caps' few bright spots in what should be a tough month. That loss doesn't help, that's for sure.

That is an interesting team, which is beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel in Columbus, but that is realistically some 12-18 months away for Hitch and Co. I was expecting two out of four points this weekend, to be honest. I certainly did care. Shrug.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
We were due to blow a game, and we all knew Mason is a great goaltender. I'm not at all shocked we lost that game, everyone and their mother was looking ahead to Montreal. Just another sign of the weakness a young team like ours has.

And when did Columbus fans become the most annoying in the Western Conference?

Old
01-12-2009, 11:00 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
January is going to be tough, with three back-to-backs and a some tough opposition. I expected the Montreal result, but the Columbus game stung. Granted, Mason was a game-time decision, but even with him in the lineup, I was hoping that would be one of the Caps' few bright spots in what should be a tough month. That loss doesn't help, that's for sure.

That is an interesting team, which is beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel in Columbus, but that is realistically some 12-18 months away for Hitch and Co. I was expecting two out of four points this weekend, to be honest. I certainly did care. Shrug.
12-18 months away for what? The 'light at the end of the tunnel' is the playoffs (of which they are 1 point out of) is right around the corner. Pretty similar positions to the caps a year ago but with less of a roster. A lot less.

Old
01-12-2009, 11:02 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
We were due to blow a game, and we all knew Mason is a great goaltender. I'm not at all shocked we lost that game, everyone and their mother was looking ahead to Montreal. Just another sign of the weakness a young team like ours has.
The coach would actually let a team look beyond a team? Yikes.

Quote:
And when did Columbus fans become the most annoying in the Western Conference?
When did caps fans become so arrogant that they forgot exactly where they were only a short year ago? It was a first round playoff exit. Get over yourself.

Old
01-12-2009, 11:06 AM
BTD5504

Quote:
The coach would actually let a team look beyond a team? Yikes.

When did caps fans become so arrogant that they forgot exactly where they were only a short year ago? It was a first round playoff exit. Get over yourself.

it's not the coaches job to make sure a player is playing like he should. that falls on the player. the coach can motivate and get them going, but in the end, it falls on the players specifically.

nobody is being arrogant, but a lot of c'bus fans have gotten a little more excited than usual lately. Mason won the game, nothing more, nothing less.

BTD5504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 11:17 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTD5504 View Post
it's not the coaches job to make sure a player is playing like he should. that falls on the player. the coach can motivate and get them going, but in the end, it falls on the players specifically.
Oh my. The coach's job is to demand that they play the right way.

Quote:
nobody is being arrogant, but a lot of c'bus fans have gotten a little more excited than usual lately. Mason won the game, nothing more, nothing less.
Mason held them in the first period, but the last two periods the jackets held their own (which shouldn't have been possible based on the jackets lineup--so yeah, jackets fans are a little impressed with that).

No need to look past the fact that the majority of the Caps shots were kept to the outside.

Old
01-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Langway
Intangibles

I don't think the Caps were looking past Columbus, they just struggle in tighter checking hockey games.

Who have they lost to at home this season? Columbus, Florida and New Jersey in OT. Each teams that rely on strong positional defensive system play. The Caps tend to get frustrated in those types of games and don't really heed Boudreau's advice when it comes to simplifying their game and staying patient.

Anyway, it's over. Nothing epic about it to rehash over and over again.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet:

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:12 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I think a lot of people here expected a letdown from that game. That's just the way the Caps are...
That's exactly right.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:21 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Oh my. The coach's job is to demand that they play the right way.

Mason held them in the first period, but the last two periods the jackets held their own (which shouldn't have been possible based on the jackets lineup--so yeah, jackets fans are a little impressed with that).

No need to look past the fact that the majority of the Caps shots were kept to the outside.
Shots kept to the outside? I consider outside to be anything beyond the faceoff circle. In the 1st, the Caps had 7 shots that met that criteria, in the 2nd they had 3, in the 3rd 3 more. That's 13 out of 45 shots. Just accept the fact that your goalie played amazing as your team trapped and collapsed fending off the constant attack and enjoy your win. Thank god all Columbus fans aren't as pompous as you.

Here's the shot chart if you would like to educate yourself.

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/gamece...090109_CLB@WAS

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:42 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Last game's ending was ****...

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Last game's ending was ****...
no joke hopefully that letdown and the crap BB had to of given them in the locker room has them focused and ready to finish off this tough month

Cappy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:04 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 View Post
Shots kept to the outside? I consider outside to be anything beyond the faceoff circle. In the 1st, the Caps had 7 shots that met that criteria, in the 2nd they had 3, in the 3rd 3 more. That's 13 out of 45 shots. Just accept the fact that your goalie played amazing as your team trapped and collapsed fending off the constant attack and enjoy your win. Thank god all Columbus fans aren't as pompous as you.

Here's the shot chart if you would like to educate yourself.

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/gamece...090109_CLB@WAS
Trapped? Not a very good job when they gave up 45 shots, eh? They hung on for dear life in the first and Mason definitely kept them in it in the first (shots 18-4), but the rest of the way the shots were 27-18. Not terrible considering they had 7 REGULARS OUT OF THE LINEUP--including 4 of our top 6!!

And I consider (and so does any NHL coach or anyone who does any type of proper analysis) 'outside': if you draw a line from the goal posts to the face off dot, over to the other dot, and back to the other goalpost. THAT is outside, and I see 26.

The point being, there was not many 2nd efforts. The best chances the caps had were when they created chaos at the net. Not enough people, as the video says, got in Mason's kitchen.

Last edited by hashmarks: 01-13-2009 at 10:17 AM.