HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Showboating: What's going too far?

Old
01-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Nikita Filatov*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Showboating: What's going too far?

Just wondering what you think the limits for show boating at... Say highschool-college level of hockey is. What warrants a penalty?

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:04 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
It's kind of a case by case thing.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Showboating towards the other team is a penalty 100% of the time.

The level of celebration depends on the situation.

Overtime game winner? Warrants a bigger celebration than a 1st period goal in a 1-0 game.

I'd be calling penalties on any kind of pre-thought of celebration. It's pretty easy to tell celebrations based on pure excitment and ones that are done ''NFL style''.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 06:34 AM
RedK

If you are up 10-0 and you're still celebrating like crazy, or you're doing the lacrosse goal, or shooting on the goalie between your feet - well, those things are legal, but you're a loser for doing it. No penalty, just no respect.

RedK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 06:38 AM
Kamina
Amok

vCash: 50
Pelvic thrusting?

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 06:47 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Showboating towards the other team is a penalty 100% of the time.

The level of celebration depends on the situation.

Overtime game winner? Warrants a bigger celebration than a 1st period goal in a 1-0 game.

I'd be calling penalties on any kind of pre-thought of celebration. It's pretty easy to tell celebrations based on pure excitment and ones that are done ''NFL style''.
What he said.

ArGarBarGar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 11:37 AM
Gallick

When your actions show no respect for your opponents (or the referee), that's too much.

Gallick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 04:25 PM
cipriani14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadSen View Post
Pelvic thrusting?
tooooo funny!

cipriani14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 04:33 PM
raganblink

The only penalty I have ever gotten for "unsportsmanlike conduct" was when I was playing Junior A. We were tied 3-3 in the third, I got the puck on my stick on a 2 on 1, fake the pass and roof it. I turned back towards our bench while my teammates were chasing me to congradulate, and I slid on my bottom and started doing the rowboat. I was right between the two benches when I did it. I then got swamped by my team and than the ref blew his whistle and gave me the penalty. Ohwell, we won the game

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 05:31 PM
Nashville

I always hate seeing players skating right by the opposing bench on the way back to their bench while celebrating. No respect, and it leads to stuff happening like Canada vs US at the WJ's this year.

Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 06:19 PM
deanosaur

Push-ups after a goal

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 08:49 PM
LightningBurrows
ThreatLevelMidnight

Stripping?

LightningBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 09:00 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 450
No, that only warrants the end of an all time classic movie.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Reckless Abandon*

I once scored a goal 13 seconds into the game. Cut across the slot, picked the opposite corner.

I then proceeded to pick my stick up, pointed it at the goalie like a rifle, said "Boom", did a fake recoil, and then shouted out "Sniper" at the top of lungs. That's probably the only time I did a ridiculous celebration because I hated that team and their goalie was a *****.

Also, in a game earlier in the season after they scored in the 3rd one of their kids rode his stick like a horse (which is funny if you are playing pond hockey or something) so I skated over, shoved him on his ass, and said "You guys can ride each others sticks all you want in the locker room, but keep it off the ice cowboy."

Edit: Anyways, both are going kind of far (his more then mine), but I wouldn't have called a penalty on either.

Reckless Abandon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Joe Cole

You can celebrate until the other team gets annoyed. The point of annoyance is easy to see.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 03:27 PM
kmd mode

before one of my games of a summer tournament the coach walked in and said that the best goal celebration gets 10 bucks. one of our players did the rowboat, but after i scored 10 seconds left in the game and took the lead i skated to center ice and started autographing my teammates sticks. Then 2 of my teammates stood next to me and posed while a third pretended to take pictures. The other teams coach was irate and screaming at the top of the lungs, but the refs must have gotten a good laugh out of it since they let it go

Last edited by kmd mode: 01-13-2009 at 03:43 PM.
kmd mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Paul MacLeans stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmd mode View Post
before one of my games of a summer tournament the coach walked in and send best goal celebration gets 10 bucks. one of our players did the rowboat, but after i scored 10 seconds left in the game and took the lead i skated to center ice and started autographing my teammates sticks. Then 2 of my teammates stood next to me and posed while a third pretended to take pictures. The other teams coach was irate and screaming at the top of the lungs, but the refs must have gotten a good laugh out of it since they let it go
+1. Awesome.

Paul MacLeans stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:24 PM
shattuck13

going over for me has been when i make physical contact with the other team. i fist bumped the some of the other teams guys when i went by and got called for that, and missed a swing at my head (started a nice pushing match). but i've done stuff where i act like i grind the goalie (behind his back) , ive done pushups infront of our team, i spanked my teammates (guy who got assist), i was at the point and did a slapper into top right shelf and acted like im a sniper and did two shots (second goal of game). and the coolest funniest one ive done was actually about a month ago, i was on wing and did a 360 with puck than shot it around goalie, then i got on top of the dasherboard-glass area and blew kisses to my girlfriend. was kinda cheesy but it got me to second that night so i dont care

anways on all of that suff i never got called a penalty on me. the only time i got a penalty was when i made contact with the other team. so really youre fine unless the ref is a jerk or has something against you, if you dont touch them or say something like hahahaha f you or something.

shattuck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Reckless Abandon*

Quote:
before one of my games of a summer tournament the coach walked in and said that the best goal celebration gets 10 bucks. one of our players did the rowboat, but after i scored 10 seconds left in the game and took the lead i skated to center ice and started autographing my teammates sticks. Then 2 of my teammates stood next to me and posed while a third pretended to take pictures. The other teams coach was irate and screaming at the top of the lungs, but the refs must have gotten a good laugh out of it since they let it go
You carry a pen on you when you're playing hockey?

Old
01-13-2009, 06:10 PM
Reckless Abandon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shattuck13 View Post
going over for me has been when i make physical contact with the other team. i fist bumped the some of the other teams guys when i went by and got called for that, and missed a swing at my head (started a nice pushing match). but i've done stuff where i act like i grind the goalie (behind his back) , ive done pushups infront of our team, i spanked my teammates (guy who got assist), i was at the point and did a slapper into top right shelf and acted like im a sniper and did two shots (second goal of game). and the coolest funniest one ive done was actually about a month ago, i was on wing and did a 360 with puck than shot it around goalie, then i got on top of the dasherboard-glass area and blew kisses to my girlfriend. was kinda cheesy but it got me to second that night so i dont care

anways on all of that suff i never got called a penalty on me. the only time i got a penalty was when i made contact with the other team. so really youre fine unless the ref is a jerk or has something against you, if you dont touch them or say something like hahahaha f you or something.
How old are you? I don't believe half the stuff you said. There is no way you stood up on the dasher without getting a penalty.

Old
01-13-2009, 06:58 PM
kmd mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless Abandon View Post
You carry a pen on you when you're playing hockey?

sorry should have said i pretended to autograph their sticks. I just dropped my gloves and made it seem like i was autographing sticks.

Old
01-13-2009, 07:17 PM
IniNew

Quote:
How old are you? I don't believe half the stuff you said. There is no way you stood up on the dasher without getting a penalty.
We read your post and no one said anything to you about it. Leave the guy alone.

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Reckless Abandon*

Quote:
sorry should have said i pretended to autograph their sticks. I just dropped my gloves and made it seem like i was autographing sticks.
Oh haha, I thought it was pre-meditated TO esque.

Old
01-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Reckless Abandon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IniNew View Post
We read your post and no one said anything to you about it. Leave the guy alone.
Um, thats because I don't make ridiculous claims saying I jumped up on the dasher of the boards when I was 12 years old. That's pretty hard for a 12 year old to jump up there with skates on. He must of had like 2 inches of leeway.

Oh yea, reminds me of that time I scored a goal, jumped on the crossbar and did a backflip. No penalty though!

Old
01-14-2009, 03:11 AM
kmd mode

Quote:
Oh haha, I thought it was pre-meditated TO esque.
haha no. I'm not a giant ****** like TO