HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The NHL should market the Staal brothers like the NFL does with the Manning's

Old
01-12-2009, 12:21 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

vCash: 500
The NHL should market the Staal brothers like the NFL does with the Manning's

Honestly, every other commercial nowadays has Peyton, Eli, or both in them. I'm not saying that the NHL should try to compete with NFL advertising, but it should atleast get some ads out there.

I think that they'd be able to pull off something creative with either just the 3 that are in the NHL, or hell they can include Jared since he's been drafted.

All I'm saying is is that the NHL is dead when it comes to marketing unless it's a game on Versus, in which case, only people who are already infatuated with the sport know what Versus is anyways.

It's like they're not even attempting to grab new fans and bring them into the game. How do they expect to get 'new' fans when the only time I see hockey advertisements is when I'm already watching a hockey game? It's pathetic.

I know this thread is probably beating a dead horse, but seriously, if they're going to change the game as much as they have post-lockout to bring in 'new' fans, then they might as well go the whole nine yards and throw some money into advertising instead of copping out halfway through the 'new' era.

Maybe I'm just ranting because it's 1 in the morning and there's nothing better to do, but the men who work this for the NHL need to take their heads out of their ***** and get on the ****ing ball with this already.

Everyone on this message board loves the game of hockey. It's about time everyone who is ignorant to the sport just because it's not on ESPN gets involved with what I know we all think is the greatest sport being played today.

/end rant

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:22 AM
VelvetJones

Payton is funny though.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:25 AM
Stainless Soul

C'mon the Staals would destroy the Williams sisters and the Mannings in the Double Stuf Racing League.

Stainless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:25 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post
Payton is funny though.
Hell I don't care what they do with the Staal brothers. Put a group of brothers together and hilarity will ensue. I mean it could be something so simple like playing on their roots and putting all four of them on a pond and making them fight, or having them be twice the size now of the pond they grew up on. It's so simple JUST DO IT GOD DAMN NHL.

Old
01-12-2009, 12:27 AM
Bill_Crosby

Eric, Jordan and Marc all sitting around the dinner table at Thanksgiving talking about how great it is to be NHL stars while Jared sits in a rocking chair crying.

Bill_Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:32 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

I love hockey, but I probably couldn't even tell you what the Staal brothers look like with the exception of Eric. I could tell you what they look like while wearing their respective jersey's, but in street clothes? I'd be wondering who those blonde guys were.

I can see why somebody would want to use Eric in ads and commercials; he's a young star who's accomplished a lot already in his career. He has some star clout behind his name. But the other two Staal's just don't stand out enough to be pimped to a national audience outside of NHL broadcasts and the player's respective networks.

If Maarc and Jordan become stars in the league, then it would be a good idea. But right now, they only have what they call niche appeal, which to sponsers that want to sell products, isn't as sexy as a player(s) who have name appeal.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:33 AM
VelvetJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
Hell I don't care what they do with the Staal brothers. Put a group of brothers together and hilarity will ensue.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:34 AM
CioCio

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
I mean it could be something so simple like playing on their roots and putting all four of them on a pond and making them fight, or having them be twice the size now of the pond they grew up on.
Are you suggesting that they have the brothers wrestle in a kiddie pool?

CioCio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:35 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post

That's what I'm talking about man.

Old
01-12-2009, 12:35 AM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CioCio View Post
Are you suggesting that they have the brothers wrestle in a kiddie pool?
Hell I don't care. If it's any kind of commercial, that's in no way shape or form meant to hurt people, and it says NHL at the end of it...Mission Accomplished.

Old
01-12-2009, 12:37 AM
le_sean

Well other then Eric they are not really marketable players. One is a shutdown defenceman and the other is a shutdown centre. The Manning's are both QB's and are more pivotal to their teams and the league.

They could make a funny commercial of the three of them at a dinner table or something, but they can't just focus on the Staals and base their marketing strategy on them.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:49 AM
Table 6

I don't care who they use, I am just a little sick of seeing Crosby's presence in every single hockey commercial these days....

Table 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:52 AM
Bank Shot

If the NHL wants to be successful in marketing then they need to market guys like Parise, Kessel, Kane, and Stastny.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:53 AM
12 oz Papa*

I think the biggest issue isn't the commercials themselves, but the other part of what the OP alluded to.

Why play NHL commercials on a channel showing an NHL game?

Show commercials for the NHL on regular channels where they don't play hockey games.

12 oz Papa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:58 AM
rebel diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
I love hockey, but I probably couldn't even tell you what the Staal brothers look like with the exception of Eric. I could tell you what they look like while wearing their respective jersey's, but in street clothes? I'd be wondering who those blonde guys were.

I can see why somebody would want to use Eric in ads and commercials; he's a young star who's accomplished a lot already in his career. He has some star clout behind his name. But the other two Staal's just don't stand out enough to be pimped to a national audience outside of NHL broadcasts and the player's respective networks.

If Maarc and Jordan become stars in the league, then it would be a good idea. But right now, they only have what they call niche appeal, which to sponsers that want to sell products, isn't as sexy as a player(s) who have name appeal.
But Eli had accomplished nothing when you first started seeing the manning/manning ads. True, he was the QB in NY, but still, everyone thought he was a bust. The joke could even be around that, all the other Staals trying to live up to what Eric did.

You never know, history might just repeat itself, Jordan could win the Conn Smythe after a Pens Cup win, and Bettman would **** in his pants.

rebel diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 01:00 AM
handbanana
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

I can see this. The NHL could have a few different ads in a campaign which introduces players in funny ways. Something interesting could be done with the Staal brothers (all four of them) and definitely also Ovechkin.

Companies thinking they're marketable or not because they are or aren't a household name isn't that big a deal because I assume we're talking about ads for the NHL, not beer or pizza. There have already been a few Staal ads (and the Sedins), but as was pointed out I've only seen them while already watching hockey.

handbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 01:08 AM
12 oz Papa*

You could also do a thing with players that are friends.

Ovechkin/Semin.

Selanne/Kariya.

I know there's more out there!

But you could get some laughs out of ones that have two guys from different teams.

12 oz Papa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 01:11 AM
Zaphod

I like the Vinny-St. Louis combo when used for marketing, probably because their dynamic is that they're visually very different, which doesn't happen with those albino staal kids.

Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 01:18 AM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 01:24 AM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksRule00 View Post
haha

haven't seen that for a while.

good for the laughs!

go_leafs_go02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 01:25 AM
Bobby Smash

they arent good enough. well eric is. even the upton brothers are better.

Bobby Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 01:30 AM
CHALUPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksRule00 View Post
I always crack up when they start dancing

CHALUPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 01:37 AM
EroCaps

The Mannings are marketed because they're brothers from a famous QB father and they've both won Super Bowl MVPs.

The Staals...not so much.

It's not like there aren't other pairs of brothers in the NFL/Pro Sports.

EroCaps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 01:37 AM
Tusk

Jordan seems to have a lot of personality, Marc seems well spoken but the one in Carolina, despite his skill-set, seems as charismaless as they come. He also looks like he's going to cry a lot when he plays, what's up with that?

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 01:53 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

The only problem is...

Peyton is arguably the best player in the NFL, arguably. Manning was the Super Bowl MVP last year.

None of the Staal are that high profile. It would be a stupid idea to put big money into marketing the Staals.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote