:facepalm: (Back-up goalie)?

Old
01-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Sony Eriksson*

vCash: 500
:facepalm: (Back-up goalie)?

http://brochuishockey.blogspot.com/
Quote:
The Columbus Blue Jackets blog "Puck-rakers" on the Columbus Dispatch website is reporting that the Vancouver Canucks are expected to trade goaltender Curtis Sanford, and the Jackets are interested. It's also reported that the Dallas Stars could be another possible destination.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 10:33 AM
vofty

Well...if it gives Tip a backup he trusts this could be a win. He has made it abundantly clear he has no faith in Tobias, and Marty has to start getting some games off. My biggest concern is what happens with Tobias. Would they be able to find an AHL team to take him and play him above their own goalie? The guy needs to be playing....but where? Go back to Europe for a while?

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:37 PM
ScubaSteve*

Let's face it, no matter who the backup is, they are going to ride Turco. A new backup might play more than Stephan, but it still wouldn't be much. Giving up any assets at all for a goalie who isn't going to play would be stupid at this point. Maybe it's something to revisit in the offseason.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Captain Awesome

I just think it's incredibly unfair to Stephan any way you slice it. I'm still not honestly sure whether or not hes good or bad because we never get to see him.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:32 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Whatever happens the rest of this season doesn't concern me as much as what would happen to the goaltending situation in 09-10. If they alienate Stephan and sign a vet backup, who I doubt will play much anyway, they're looking at a void of options come the fall. Bachman won't be ready, Climie? yeah right, and they'll be right back to relying on Turco to play an excessive amount of games because they failed to develop Stephan.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Let's face it, no matter who the backup is, they are going to ride Turco. A new backup might play more than Stephan, but it still wouldn't be much. Giving up any assets at all for a goalie who isn't going to play would be stupid at this point. Maybe it's something to revisit in the offseason.
Agreed.

And it's not a maybe. It's a must.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

At this point why would Stephan return to the NHL next season? Does he really want to sit on the bench or ride in the plane that much?

He needs to play so the Stars can figure out if they want him as the backup next season and also so he can feel like he actually has a place on this team in the future. Otherwise I won't be surprised at all when it's announced that he's returning to Switzerland.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:27 PM
________

Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
The biggest issue here is the poor start to the season, if the Stars had a much better start then Stephan would be playing more if Turco was struggling.

Smith got to play much more in his first season since the Stars had a much better record therefore they weren't in the "playoff only mode." Like they are now.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
The biggest issue here is the poor start to the season, if the Stars had a much better start then Stephan would be playing more if Turco was struggling.

Smith got to play much more in his first season since the Stars had a much better record therefore they weren't in the "playoff only mode." Like they are now.
I agree with you, but that doesn't change anything. Dallas still needs to find out what it has with Stephan so it can know in the off season if it should sign a FA, make a trade, or count on him to be the back up. Not playing him won't change the above, regardless of the reasons behind it.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 07:58 PM
vofty

Stephan is a RFA at the end of this season so I guess they don't have to do anything with him. Can't imagine the Stars tendering him an offer when they don't even trust him as backup.

Old
01-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Chad_

It's not they, it's Tippett. If Jackson didn't trust Stephan, he wouldn't be on the team and there would be another backup in place. Tippett's the one not playing the guy, yet he doesn't exactly have much say in whom Jackson decides to sign or re-sign.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
If Jackson didn't trust Stephan, he wouldn't be on the team and there would be another backup in place.

I don't know about that. Even if he didn't trust him, who else is he going to replace him with? Especially knowing that Tippett is gonna play Turco almost the entire rest of the season.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:33 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Emoticons don't work in thread titles.

Now you know.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:39 AM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
I don't know about that. Even if he didn't trust him, who else is he going to replace him with? Especially knowing that Tippett is gonna play Turco almost the entire rest of the season.
He would have signed a backup before the season, or he would have swung a trade for another goalie this season. As a general manager, he has to trust the players he put on the roster, or he should have shipped out those he doesn't trust and replace them with ones he does. Since he didn't and hasn't, it can only mean Jackson has faith in Stephan. It's Tippett that doesn't.

Old
01-14-2009, 01:14 AM
vofty

Quote:
He would have signed a backup before the season, or he would have swung a trade for another goalie this season. As a general manager, he has to trust the players he put on the roster, or he should have shipped out those he doesn't trust and replace them with ones he does. Since he didn't and hasn't, it can only mean Jackson has faith in Stephan. It's Tippett that doesn't.
I agree with you I think Jackson probably does have faith in Stephan. I don't think there was anyway he could have foreseen the way this season would play out though. But he has to make a decision about Stephan at the end of the season. Would Jackson tender an offer to a player he knows is only going to play if he fires the coach he just extended for 3 years? A player who gained virtually no experience this year.

I know there are quite a few people who want Tip's head but I have a hard time believing that Jackson would fire Tip before he didn't resign a backup goaltender that isn't playing. I think the only chance is if they could convince him to go back to the minors, otherwise I don't think they have a choice but to show him the door, and get a more experienced backup in the off season (or sooner).

Old
01-14-2009, 01:34 AM
Caseman

I thought I read a quote that Jackson had faith in Stephan, but respected Tippett's wish to play Turco. I'm obviously paraphrasing, but I think Jackson believes Stephan has the right stuff to be at least a backup.

Caseman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:42 AM
________

Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
HEIKA: This is a difficult situation because several key people – co-GM Les Jackson, director of scouting Tim Bernhardt, goalie coach Andy Moog – do believe in Stephan and do want Dave Tippett to play him. However, they are of the mind that the coach should coach the team.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=585892&page=3

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Emoticons don't work in thread titles.

Now you know.
I knew that even before i made the thread...It was to emphasize my feeling about this.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Captain Awesome

We could just pick up Sanford on waivers, at least hope that he drops to us now.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
I know there are quite a few people who want Tip's head but I have a hard time believing that Jackson would fire Tip before he didn't resign a backup goaltender that isn't playing.
This seems out of proportion to me. Look, I don't like Tippett as a coach and have written that several times. I've got a long list of gripes as reasons why I feel he should be shown the door. However, just because he doesn't have faith in the backup goalie is not a legitimate reason for his ouster, and if Jackson even contemplated firing Tippett for this exact reason he should be shown the door.

As someone else wrote, if the Stars had started out of the gate like the organization planned, Stephan would have played enough to have Tippett's confidence. They didn't, and Stephan still doesn't, but that doesn't mean it won't ever happen. And let's face it, Tippett isn't going anywhere and won't for a long time.

Old
01-14-2009, 07:29 PM
vofty

Quote:
This seems out of proportion to me. Look, I don't like Tippett as a coach and have written that several times. I've got a long list of gripes as reasons why I feel he should be shown the door. However, just because he doesn't have faith in the backup goalie is not a legitimate reason for his ouster, and if Jackson even contemplated firing Tippett for this exact reason he should be shown the door.

As someone else wrote, if the Stars had started out of the gate like the organization planned, Stephan would have played enough to have Tippett's confidence. They didn't, and Stephan still doesn't, but that doesn't mean it won't ever happen. And let's face it, Tippett isn't going anywhere and won't for a long time.
Sorry I should have put one of these I wasn't serious, I wrote it more for the absurdity of the idea. I mean the two-headed monster has made it clear they support Tip and he isn't going anywhere this year and certainly wouldn't be fired for not playing a back-up goalie (we will have to wait and see what would happen on the #1 draft pick, who isn't ready to play in the NHL, but the owners insist he should be played anyway, and he is being benched )

Old
01-14-2009, 09:32 PM
catters078

Well with Sanford now on Waivers...we will soon see what Dallas' intentions are with Stephan

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:32 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

One might say Dallas already has a veteran back-up that Tippett trusts...

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:57 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
HEIKA: This is a difficult situation because several key people – co-GM Les Jackson, director of scouting Tim Bernhardt, goalie coach Andy Moog – do believe in Stephan and do want Dave Tippett to play him. However, they are of the mind that the coach should coach the team.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=585892&page=3
But at the same time there comes a time when the coach has to trust the GM/scout/whatever. See: Eriksson.

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 12:57 PM
vofty

...and GM wins Stephan it is

very shocked we didn't get Sanford