Game 41: vs Detroit, 1/12

Old
01-13-2009, 09:30 AM
vofty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Chad,

Doesn't Sydor's contract expire at the end of this season? I thought that was one of the really bad things about the trade at the time. Why was Dallas trading defenseman with the same darn contract and taking the worst one? I can't imagine Jackson offering him another year. I also really, really hope Sydor sees the light and decides to hang them up. It has become beyond embarrassing.
yes he is UFA at the end of the season.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 09:39 AM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Great win guys. Detroit didn't seem interested in competing after the first period and like good teams do, you guys took advantage and blitzed us. I'm amazed we even made it to OT honestly. Outstanding game by Dallas, and on national TV no less. Been a long time since Detroit's had it handed to them like that. This is why all the forum experts and wannabe analysts who are writing Dallas off are crazy. Sure you've got injuries. Sure some players have struggled. But this is a team who was in the conference finals last year and they know what it takes and I have no doubt that they'll be scaring the crap outta some high seeded team when the playoffs roll around.

And a different note, who the heck is Mike Heika and did he take a puck to the head? His three star choices for Dallas were pretty odd. Robidas 1st star over Daley? Barch who didn't even play 5:00 and was one of only two Stars not to even record a shot as a 3rd star over Grossman or Richards or Ott? Maybe I was watching a different game than he was.....
LOL...you would not be the first to ask if he was nuts this season. He is the beat writer for the Dallas Morning News and his opinions are far from respected in this HF group. I watched the game during the always wonderful Margarita Monday and checked the 3 stars when I got home and I had to do a double take when I saw Robi was #1 star. The only possibly justification I can give for Barch is that great pass he made to set up Parish? All I can say is you aren't the only one wondering what he's smoking.

Old
01-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
His three star choices for Dallas were pretty odd. Robidas 1st star over Daley? Barch who didn't even play 5:00 and was one of only two Stars not to even record a shot as a 3rd star over Grossman or Richards or Ott? Maybe I was watching a different game than he was.....
Don't understand that at all, agreed.

Grossman and Osgood both deserved to be Stars of the game last night.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
Let's tap the brakes just a bit on Sydor. He got undressed twice by Pavel Datsyuk tonight, but Pavel Datsyuk does that to a lot of NHL defensemen. I watched the Ducks, Sharks, Devils and Wings games all in person (first time in a looooong time ...) and my impression from Sydor in all 4 games was the same, "he's just a guy at this point ... not that good, not that bad, just a guy." Sydor's history with the organization, his Cup rings and his combativeness all -- in my estimation -- help make him attractive as a cagey vet to mix in with all our defensive youth. Now, obviously, none of that matters if he can't play, and I don't have any evidence to suggest to you that he can, other than to say that's not what I've seen the last couple weeks.

We went into this season with Zubov, Robidas, Daley, Boucher(Sydor), Niskanen and Grossman, a very nice group of 6, with the Janik's and whoevers sitting on the periphery. Zubov's injury has exposed everybody but Robidas in my estimation -- people are being asked to do more than they're maybe capable of. Niskanen in particular hasn't looked as good this year without Zubov as he did last year with him. We'll either get Zubov back next season or we'll get his $5m back; either way, Robidas and Daley won't be our 1/2. If Sydor's back next season, he'll be a 6/7D, which is probably where he belongs at this point. He hasn't been nearly as bad as some of the appraisals I've been reading on here; he's maybe been overmatched at times, but look at that Stars lockerroom this season and show me someone who hasn't.
Good to hear you're back in country. He's just too slow out there on the ice to do anything anymore. He's constantly on the ice, be it from getting turned around or pushed, but the thing that kills me about him is that he's getting caught flat-footed too much now. The latter is a sign of laziness, not diminished skills, and it's not a sign I thought I'd see out of the guy.

Sydor shouldn't be on the team next year. That's my point from above and why the despair when they made the trade. He's not deserving of the ice time Tippett would give him and there are better options in-house.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 02:21 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Don't understand that at all, agreed.

Grossman and Osgood both deserved to be Stars of the game last night.
Barch made the play on Parrish's 2nd goal -- dangled around one guy in a very un-Barch-like fashion, and then later in the play made a great pass to set up Parrish. I'm with you in wondering why that's enough to be the third star, but it was a pretty amazing play in a moment where we were stumbling a bit and needed a big play. Props to Barch, because I didn't see it coming from him and it was positively Datsyukesque.

ck26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
Barch made the play on Parrish's 2nd goal -- dangled around one guy in a very un-Barch-like fashion, and then later in the play made a great pass to set up Parrish. I'm with you in wondering why that's enough to be the third star, but it was a pretty amazing play in a moment where we were stumbling a bit and needed a big play. Props to Barch, because I didn't see it coming from him and it was positively Datsyukesque.
Don't get me wrong, Barch had a great game.

But Grossman was by far the best Dallas Star of the night. Maybe Heika didn't like the last minute penalty or something.

And Osgood..I'm sorry but sure he gave up 5 goals but he made 44 saves and nearly single handily beat the Stars.

Old
01-13-2009, 02:43 PM
vofty

Found it amusing Heika needed to justify himself.

Quote:
I've had a couple of people criticize the three stars of the game choices from last night, and I wasn't comfortable myself with them.
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...r-choices.html

Old
01-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
I don't understand Robidas, unless the justification was he got the goal to start the Stars comeback. I can understand that but disagree with it.

Barch had two assists in less than five minutes of ice time. Even though I think someone like Ott may be more deserving, I can buy awarding that type of production.

I think Osgood may have been the victim of two things. A.) He gave up give goals and b.) he was on a losing team, and that team already had one clear-cut three-stars guy in Datsyuk. I would imagine it's difficult justifying giving two of the three stars to a losing team when ther are enough potential honorees on a winning team.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:36 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
anyone order a dman?

vCash: 131
Another "turning point" article...

Sporting News

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Caseman

I would be timid to call it a "turning point" until they actually "turn". For all we know, they could get blown out by the Sabres on Thursday.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:32 PM
vofty

I much prefer to call turning points in retrospect because everytime this year we thought we were about to turn a corner we ran into the wall instead.

Old
01-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
For all we know, they could get blown out by the Sabres on Thursday.
We all know we will.