HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

The Consolidated Chris Clark Captaincy Thread

View Poll Results: Who should be captain of the 2009-10 Capitals?
Clark, Chris 30 25.00%
Backstrom, Nicklas 11 9.17%
Green, Mike 2 1.67%
Ovechkin, Alexander 68 56.67%
Semin, Alexander 1 0.83%
Other, please explain 8 6.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-28-2009, 11:01 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Ovy doesn't need another thing to heap on his shoulders. Unless he really was begging for it, I'm fine with another more veteran player having it for another year or 2.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 09:14 AM
d99gr81

I don't really care who the next Captain is...just get rid of Clark while there's a sniffle of a chance to get something.

d99gr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 12:18 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
With Clark done for the season. Should there be an interim captain? If yes, then who?

A lot of other teams fans find the situation of Clark being captain very odd. While I agree with them that it is odd, up until his injury I never really thought there was a reason to give someone else a C while Clark was on the team, as the Caps seem to lead by committee and it didn't seem like an issue worth taking the gamble on (if some players would take offense to it).

Now that it looks like Clark is done for the regular season, should the Caps do what most other teams do, recently Montreal, and give someone else the C until Clark is back?

Thought this was worthy of its own thread as the News and Notes will move on to something else soon enough.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 12:22 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Since Bruce just said in the most recent Post article that "Clark is our Captain", it would be a little two faced to make a move like that.

3 A's is fine.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 12:38 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Yes I am aware of this but this is asking what should be done, not will be done.

I get that it is a moot point, mostly because of what Bruce said. But everything on this board is basically a moot point, like arguing over who the Caps should trade out of all their D as its not like GMGM is going to ask any of us for advice.

Old
02-03-2009, 12:41 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Three guys wearing the A, for me.

Put it this way: Three guys wearing the A can't hurt. Obliquely stripping the absent captain could rankle with Clark, and potentially cause ripples in the room. No downside versus potential downside? No contest.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 07:36 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar View Post
Yes I am aware of this but this is asking what should be done, not will be done.

I get that it is a moot point, mostly because of what Bruce said. But everything on this board is basically a moot point, like arguing over who the Caps should trade out of all their D as its not like GMGM is going to ask any of us for advice.

What should be done. Clark is the Captain. 3 A's. Who knows better what should be done particularly concerning the players in the locker room? Boudreau. The Caps should do what Bruce says. Bruce says Clark is the Captain. End of story

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 07:41 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Three guys wearing the A, for me.

Put it this way: Three guys wearing the A can't hurt. Obliquely stripping the absent captain could rankle with Clark, and potentially cause ripples in the room. No downside versus potential downside? No contest.
Drake, I don't understand this desire to rip the C off Clark at any opportunity. The players from all reports support Clark as Captain and not in some PC sort of way.
If the players want Clark as Captain, why do so many fans here want to strip the guy of the role.

Mid season Captain firings of a player remaining on the team are rare and ugly things. With things going so well why is there this need? I don't get it.

Old
02-03-2009, 08:16 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Fedorov

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Foy

There's no way in hell it is going to happen, so why even bother discussing it?

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Drake, I don't understand this desire to rip the C off Clark at any opportunity. The players from all reports support Clark as Captain and not in some PC sort of way.
If the players want Clark as Captain, why do so many fans here want to strip the guy of the role.

Mid season Captain firings of a player remaining on the team are rare and ugly things. With things going so well why is there this need? I don't get it.
You're out and out manufacturing disagreement where it doesn't exist. I said keep three As, period. Don't strip Clark of the C. There is no hidden meaning there.

I was disagreeing with the OP's suggestion. Keep Clark with the C, and have three guys wear the A. How was that possibly unclear?

Last edited by Drake1588: 02-03-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old
02-03-2009, 09:43 AM
CapitalPunishment

Quote:

He said don't strip.

CapitalPunishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 09:43 AM
DaleHunter

Send a message via MSN to DaleHunter
I agree... it's going to be 3 A's and that's what it should be.

Ovechkin, Fedorov, Laich.

Others that could be rotated in: Poti, Bradley, Brashear, Nylander (if he's still here in a month).

DaleHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 09:59 AM
sk84fun_dc

my vote which doesn't count for anything is same as Boudreau's vote which does count - 3 As

(and Clark will continue to serve as C and all that entails off the ice)

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:20 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

I'll say this....I wouldn't complain if Clark gave it up.

That being said...it's Bruce's team and his vote is all that matters to this fan. I don't care who has the C or what it takes to get the team motivated...I just want them to win.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
The way Ovechkin thrives with increased responsibility, I kind of want him to try on the "C" on just to "see" if it elevates his game even further.

That said, I totally respect Gabby's decision to use three "As" if that's his plan.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
The way Ovechkin thrives with increased responsibility, I kind of want him to try on the "C" on just to "see" if it elevates his game even further.

That said, I totally respect Gabby's decision to use three "As" if that's his plan.
I saw that!

Old
02-03-2009, 10:56 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Uh, It wouldn't be stripping Clark of the C if we gave to someone until he came back.

Like when Koivu doesn't play for Montreal, Kovalev wears the C....

Quote:
I was disagreeing with the OP's suggestion. Keep Clark with the C, and have three guys wear the A. How was that possibly unclear?
Actually I haven't said either way, I was just trying to remain neutral. A couple of my friends from other teams have asked me why it isn't Ovie and I tried to explain it to them why Caps do 3 A's and was hoping that a thread full of similar responses would help show them. I didn't wanna lead the thread to my answer...

Old
02-03-2009, 11:27 AM
sk84fun_dc

I haven't taken a count, but from what I have observed, Montreal transferring the C temporarily is the exception rather than the norm.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Foy

We used to do it back in the day. When Langway's career was winding down, we'd give the C to Hatcher until Langway was back.

Old
02-03-2009, 11:36 AM
txpd

Quote:
You're out and out manufacturing disagreement where it doesn't exist. I said keep three As, period. Don't strip Clark of the C. There is no hidden meaning there.

Sorry that you read it that way. I was agreeing with you. I was actually trying to ask your perspective on why so many want to take the C away from Clark? Sorry that I didnt write that better.

Old
02-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
I haven't taken a count, but from what I have observed, Montreal transferring the C temporarily is the exception rather than the norm.
Indeed. It's also worth adding that Montreal has clear locker room issues at the moment. The lack of stability in the letters there is a sign of a room that is supposedly teetering. Kovalev appears to be causing currents of unrest, to go by Carbonneau's distinctly frosty commentary lately.

Just go with a stable move, would be my choice. The Capitals team likes Clark, and they're shutting him down for a while. He's very popular and the room expects his production to return when he's completely healthy. The injury explains a lot. He's not struggling; he's injured. Huge difference now that we know. Three As seems to be the way to go.

Old
02-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Sorry that you read it that way. I was agreeing with you.
Ah, I see. Sorry about that. No worries.

Old
02-03-2009, 11:42 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post

I really think that as long as Fedorov is around he is the defacto captain while Clark isn't playing. He carries Captain cred anyway.

Old
02-03-2009, 12:59 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
i personally prefer a captain on the ice in every game. The captain can chant and cheerlead all he wants in the locker room, but that will not win a game for us.

If bruce doesnt want a captain on the ice so be it, but it suprises me being as old school as he is. A guy getting an A rarely acts like a C. If it werent for the A on the sweater, you'd never know they were the on ice co-captain that game. In the tradition of a dale hunter, it should be easy to spot your captain.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote