HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Consolidated Chris Clark Captaincy Thread

View Poll Results: Who should be captain of the 2009-10 Capitals?
Clark, Chris 30 25.00%
Backstrom, Nicklas 11 9.17%
Green, Mike 2 1.67%
Ovechkin, Alexander 68 56.67%
Semin, Alexander 1 0.83%
Other, please explain 8 6.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-03-2009, 01:11 PM
MDHockey

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to MDHockey
I'm gonna stay w/ the 3 A's for the remainder of the season....

Ovechkin, Fedorov, and Poti/Brash/Backstrom for the A

MDHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 01:24 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
If bruce doesnt want a captain on the ice so be it, but it suprises me being as old school as he is. A guy getting an A rarely acts like a C. If it werent for the A on the sweater, you'd never know they were the on ice co-captain that game. In the tradition of a dale hunter, it should be easy to spot your captain.
I guess the question you have to ask is why rock the boat? This is a can of worms. The players are happy with Clark as the Captain. When he is not playing, they have Fedorov who is a Captain level player.

Lets call it unnecessary movement. There is no need or desire or demand for movement on this subject. Making a move like that brings questions that the team does not need or want to deal with right now...like all the questions Kolzig got last season after the trade deadline. Huet was a good thing. The tension and constant questions were not.

This team is happy and together. This captain thing could blow up in your face. It might not, but why pick up the grenade in the first place when there is no need for it?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 04:24 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

I mean who really cares who wears the damn C (other then people buying jerseys and the refs) but if someone had to wear the C I would say Fedorov.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
Clark keeps the "C" and go with 3 A's.

Ovechkin, Fedorov, and Backstrom/Laich/Brashear/Poti/Green

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

Clark stays C.

Ovi - A
Feds - A
Brash - A

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 01:49 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Is there any doubt...

Who the leader is of this team is?

Let is go Chris.

I think the grace period is over.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 01:52 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
You know I've sort of resisted the idea of AO having the captain's C as I thought it was a lot to put on his shoulders but now, after this season, I completely agree with the idea of giving him the C.

05-14-2009, 01:53 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Who the leader is of this team is?

Let is go Chris.

I think the grace period is over.
I almost shed a tear watching that after yesterdays game. Of course Im too tough and manly for that, but it was something to behold.

TheFountainhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

His conduct during the Rangers series really cemented it in my mind. Part it may just becoming more comfortable with the language but he seemed much more vocal during games and more mature in interviews with the media.

Whether he wears the C or not, there's little doubt he's what makes this team go.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 02:01 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

The kid is an offensive dynamo. The best I've ever seen. And I realize I'm gonna take some flack for this, but I'm not sure I'd give him the C, at least not yet. He's as talented as any on the backcheck (but...), and more physical than damn near anyone, but a lot of times he just isn't trying when we don't have the puck. It reminds me of Jagr. I don't think you give the C automatically to your best player. I dunno. Maybe if we knew more about who was driving guys in the locker room to try harder....

Either way it shouldn't be Clark, and I'm not sure there's an obvious choice other than Ovie unless Feds sticks around, but I think a lot should depend on who is motivating people in the room. I could see Backstrom or Alzner down the line.

Honestly I'd be ok with a Steckel or a Gordon getting it for a year or two.

05-14-2009, 02:01 PM
pgreene

great picture. that was a pretty moving moment.

pgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Hot Carlson

I also like Laich (heh) for the job. But it's Alex's job if he wants it.

Hot Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 02:11 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
The kid is an offensive dynamo. The best I've ever seen. And I realize I'm gonna take some flack for this, but I'm not sure I'd give him the C, at least not yet. He's as talented as any on the backcheck (but...), and more physical than damn near anyone, but a lot of times he just isn't trying when we don't have the puck. It reminds me of Jagr. I don't think you give the C automatically to your best player. I dunno. Maybe if we knew more about who was driving guys in the locker room to try harder....

Either way it shouldn't be Clark, and I'm not sure there's an obvious choice other than Ovie unless Feds sticks around, but I think a lot should depend on who is motivating people in the room. I could see Backstrom or Alzner down the line.

Honestly I'd be ok with a Steckel or a Gordon getting it for a year or two.
He'll have to grow into that role as all captains do (even Iginla admitted that there was much he had to learn about leadership even after receiving the C), but he is the leader of this team now. They follow Ovie on the ice. He is the de facto leader anyway, so he might as well be given the title officially. The added responsibility might also help him grow as a player. I think that he's ready, but he'll have to wait until the Clark situation is resolved either this offseason or the next.

Old
05-14-2009, 02:27 PM
Whopper88

I don't understand why Clark would not give up his C. The only reason I can think of is OV turning it down and to me that is a sign or respect and leadership from OV and that makes OV and even better leader in my eyes.

Whopper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 03:01 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Completely agree with this. I was actually very disappointed in Ovy's defensive effort for much of the playoffs. I'd just like to see him dedicate himself in all aspects of the game on the ice before giving him the C. I wouldn't be opposed to Ovechkin as captain, and it's ultimately going to be his, but I don't think he's quite ready.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 03:33 PM
TheFountainhead
Red Nation

From Varly:

Ovechkin was a workhorse the entire series.

He is a true leader, a real leader. Alex gives it all every game regardless of whether he scores or not. His output on the ice just winds the team up. He is the leader in the locker room; he is the leader on the ice. It is so great. He helps the team a lot. What else can you say about him?

Old
05-14-2009, 03:40 PM
txpd

I am on board with making Ovechkin the Captain. Particularly if Fedorov and Clark don't return. Its his team. He still leads on the ice. I see no Jagr in him. Please. That is basphimous. You are a mod...ban yourself.

I just read the blog entry about Ov having Caps flags on his car. I am on the fence about both Feds and Clark, but I see scenarios whre they are both gone. Even if the Caps bring in Pronger, Ov is still the C.

Old
05-14-2009, 03:43 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

He's gotta be the C now.

bishop12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

I could care less if he has it or not, and he probably feels the same way.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 09:55 PM
octopi

vCash: 844
With the constant injuries and ineffectuality of Clark, Ovie's been the Captain by default since about January of last season when he dragged the team into the playoffs.

Still, I dunno about actually naming him Captain. I think clark could be persuaded to reliquish it, I just don't know if Ovy would accept it, unless they did it in a manner he couldn't refuse. "And here's the South East division banner raising, now Chris Clark has something to present to Alex Ovechkin"....

And Ovy is still kind of a big kid.....

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

No, there is no doubt. Zero.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2009, 10:38 PM
dbui72

What he has like 10 years or so on a contract, he has plenty of time.

I think Laich should get it first, he will not be here during that whole time I do not think. Laich is a great leader and a workhorse on the ice as well.

Think of this, what if he gets the C now and it is too soon. Do you take it away from your star player to face embarrassment when everyone comparing Crosby with the C?

dbui72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 04:49 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbui72 View Post
What he has like 10 years or so on a contract, he has plenty of time.

I think Laich should get it first, he will not be here during that whole time I do not think. Laich is a great leader and a workhorse on the ice as well.

Think of this, what if he gets the C now and it is too soon. Do you take it away from your star player to face embarrassment when everyone comparing Crosby with the C?
No to Brooks Laich. I love Brooks Laich, but he was not able to elevate his play this playoffs like a Captain should have. I didnt see the step up in performance in the playoffs from Brooks like we saw from 8.

Old
05-15-2009, 06:14 AM
CMCCLURE22

Absolutely give him the "C", no doubt about it.. If we are going to make a run to the Cup, Alexander the Great will be the one leading us to the promised land!

CMCCLURE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2009, 07:30 AM
Foy

Does it really matter? I don't really think Alex cares, nor does he need the C to be effective.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote