HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Consolidated Chris Clark Captaincy Thread

View Poll Results: Who should be captain of the 2009-10 Capitals?
Clark, Chris 30 25.00%
Backstrom, Nicklas 11 9.17%
Green, Mike 2 1.67%
Ovechkin, Alexander 68 56.67%
Semin, Alexander 1 0.83%
Other, please explain 8 6.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-15-2009, 07:21 PM
LSF76

vCash: 500
I think the captain should be a guy who scores a lot of points!

/stupid fantasy player

LSF76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSF76 View Post
I think the captain should be a guy who scores a lot of points!

/stupid fantasy player
looking at the poll results there's a lot of people who voted in this thread that don't know anything about the Caps beyond "ovy is good."

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:09 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Ovy all day long. He's the C whether he has it or not...might as well give it to him.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:10 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Brooksy as a captain? Come on...geezuz.

Old
07-15-2009, 08:16 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
You ever watch him play, or even hear him speak? Everything he does is "captainly."

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
Quote:
Care to explain?

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:22 PM
LSF76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
looking at the poll results there's a lot of people who voted in this thread that don't know anything about the Caps beyond "ovy is good."
It's not the votes for Ovie which bother me so much as the fact that Backstrom, Green, and Semin (!) are in the poll and Laich is not. Hell, I'd take Poti as captain over any of those 3.

LSF76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:22 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
You ever watch him play, or even hear him speak? Everything he does is "captainly."
Have I ever watch him play..mmm let me think about that ....

I love ol Broosky. But you guys are over thinking this...It's Ovy all day long. He's the engine, the heart, the hero, the cheerleader, the warrior of this team. That's what a captain is all about.

Brooksly is a hard nose beast too and I think he'd make a great A, but he isn't on the same galaxy when it comes to who the players look up to.

K.I.S.S

Old
07-15-2009, 08:26 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:

I love ol Broosky. But you guys are over thinking this...It's Ovy all day long. He's the engine, the heart, the hero, the cheerleader, the warrior of this team. That's what a captain is all about.

Brooksly is a hard nose beast too and I think he'd make a great A, but he isn't on the same galaxy when it comes to who the players look up to.

K.I.S.S
The problem is you're drastically oversimplifying the issue. Ovie isn't automatically captain material because he's the best player. That's a big leap in logic.

Old
07-15-2009, 08:28 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

K.I.S.S
Let's be real...in truth, you have no idea who the players look up to.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:34 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 View Post
Let's be real...in truth, you have no idea who the players look up to.
I didn't say they had to for sure like him...but they all respect and look up to him. No question. Anyone who's played team sports knows the best player on the team always gets respect- love him or hate him. And it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the players love this guy.

Broosky is a cool off the board pick, but it's Ovy 6 ways to Sunday.

Old
07-15-2009, 08:39 PM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Let me get this right....You think if someone voted for Ovechkin to be the Caps next Captain then they know nothing about the Capitals? A guy who, for 2 consecutive seasons has been picked by other NHL players as the best player in the League. I can understand you thinking someone else deserves it. Laich is a strong candidate. But saying anyone who voted for Ovie is somehow misguided, is simply ridiculous.

It's a bold, sweeping, and ignorant thing to say (if I'm understanding your post, if I'm not then I need an explanation please, thanks).

XDC-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDC-RES View Post
Let me get this right....You think if someone voted for Ovechkin to be the Caps next Captain then they know nothing about the Capitals? A guy who, for 2 consecutive seasons has been picked by other NHL players as the best player in the League. I can understand you thinking someone else deserves it. Laich is a strong candidate. But saying anyone who voted for Ovie is somehow misguided, is simply ridiculous.

It's a bold, sweeping, and ignorant thing to say (if I'm understanding your post, if I'm not then I need an explanation please, thanks).
That has nothing to do with being a captain.

Old
07-15-2009, 08:49 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
gotta go with Clark, if they haven't taken it away yet, they won't take it away any time soon.

if i had to give it to anyone else, it would be Brooks. he seems like a quiet leader.

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2009, 08:49 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Being a good player has nothing to do with being a captain? haha please

Old
07-15-2009, 08:56 PM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Quote:
I'd like you to explain please exactly why Ovechkin would not make a good Captain.

I've said several times that Laich and others would also make good Captains. I've also said I think it will remain Clartck. I happened to vote Ovie in the poll and mention I think he'd be a good Captain and this somehow has set you off.

I'd like you to explain why the thought of him as our team's Captain is so offensive.

Please list the attributes you think he doesn't have.

Old
07-15-2009, 08:57 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Look around the league...the best player isn't always the captain. That's the fanboy's selection.

FWIW...I think Ovechkin will be the next captain, but there are others, like Brooks, who would do just as well at the job, maybe even better.

Old
07-15-2009, 09:02 PM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Quote:
Look around the league...the best player isn't always the captain. That's the fanboy's selection.

FWIW...I think Ovechkin will be the next captain, but there are others, like Brooks, who would do just as well at the job, maybe even better.
Read through the posts. Myself, mindthegap, and others who have voted Ovie have all said Laich is a good pick too. Others, like you in this post, seem to feel the need to belittle our pick of Ovie for whatever reason.

If I vote for Ovie, I know nothing about the team according to Foy.

If I vote for Ovie I'm making a big jump in logic or haven't weatched Laich play (that one is especially funny) according to brs.

And according to you I'm just a fanboy.

What's so offensive about the thought of Ovechkin being Captain that its making people attack posters with that opinion?

Convince me he wouldn't be a ggood captain and I'll listen but could we stop with the belittling comments?

Old
07-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

Quote:
I'd like you to explain please exactly why Ovechkin would not make a good Captain.

I've said several times that Laich and others would also make good Captains. I've also said I think it will remain Clartck. I happened to vote Ovie in the poll and mention I think he'd be a good Captain and this somehow has set you off.

I'd like you to explain why the thought of him as our team's Captain is so offensive.

Please list the attributes you think he doesn't have.
I never said Ovechkin wouldn't make a good captain.

I was just questioning the reasoning, behind some posters thoughts about Ovechkin being captain. Ovechkin is the face of the franchise, but that doesn't mean he should be captain. I just don't see how Ovechkin is more "qualified" for the captaincy then Laich.

Old
07-15-2009, 09:14 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Read through the posts. Myself, mindthegap, and others who have voted Ovie have all said Laich is a good pick too. Others, like you in this post, seem to feel the need to belittle our pick of Ovie for whatever reason.

If I vote for Ovie I'm making a big jump in logic or haven't weatched Laich play (that one is especially funny) according to brs.

What's so offensive about the thought of Ovechkin being Captain that its making people attack posters with that opinion?

Convince me he wouldn't be a ggood captain and I'll listen but could we stop with the belittling comments?
Oh please...stop the drama queen act. When Ovie learns to bust his ass all of the time, never coasting, then he becomes the type of player that will be a great leader. You have to lead by example and his example isn't the best right now just because he scores a lot of points.

Old
07-15-2009, 09:25 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

Quote:
When Ovie learns to bust his ass all of the time, never coasting, then he becomes the type of player that will be a great leader. You have to lead by example and his example isn't the best right now just because he scores a lot of points.
I agree. I still think Ovechkin would make a good captain, but there are better choices at the moment.

Another thing Ovechkin has going against him in by book is the media. He's not as good as other guys with the media. Nobody handles the media better then Laich. If Ovechkin was captain when the steroids story came out, I don't know how he would have handled it. Brooks handled it the best way possible.

Old
07-15-2009, 09:37 PM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Quote:
Oh please...stop the drama queen act. When Ovie learns to bust his ass all of the time, never coasting, then he becomes the type of player that will be a great leader. You have to lead by example and his example isn't the best right now just because he scores a lot of points.
More name calling. Nice.

I respectfully disagree. I think no one wants to win more than he does and its contagious. You make it sound like he loafs all over the ice. You must be seeing something I'm not.

How you can argue he isn't a leader is beyond me. The only thing I can think is you like being different and somehow by going against the obvious pick you can think of yourself as some hockey guru with insights the average fan doesn't have.

He has other qualities which make him a good Captain. Its the posters who don't think he should have the C who keep bringing up his point totals. It does take more than scoring points to be a good leader. Personally, I think he has those qualities in spades, and I'm not alone.

There is a line of thinking that the Mike Keane types make the best Captains. The hard working heart guys. And they do. Konowalchuk was awesome! But that doesn't preclude Hart and Art Ross winners from being good too. Yzerman, Gretz, Lemieux, Sakic, and on and on. Ovie puts up tons of points, yes, but he is also a great leader. If you don't see it...fine. But give me some credit for having thought about my pick instead of simply looking at last years point totals.

Old
07-15-2009, 09:38 PM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Quote:
I agree. I still think Ovechkin would make a good captain, but there are better choices at the moment.

Another thing Ovechkin has going against him in by book is the media. He's not as good as other guys with the media. Nobody handles the media better then Laich. If Ovechkin was captain when the steroids story came out, I don't know how he would have handled it. Brooks handled it the best way possible.
This is a good arguement. I agree.

Old
07-15-2009, 09:48 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:

That comment was meant soley in the context of interpreting mind_the_gap's comments as disbelief that anyone would vote for Laich, or that Ovie is the slam dunk only guy who should be considered. Not about voting for Ovechkin in general.

Old
07-15-2009, 09:51 PM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
That comment was meant soley in the context of interpreting mind_the_gap's comments as disbelief that anyone would vote for Laich, or that Ovie is the slam dunk only guy who should be considered. Not about voting for Ovechkin in general.
Fair enough. I retract it. I was on a rant Apologies.