HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Addressing team toughness

Old
01-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Addressing team toughness

As one of the softest teams in the league (dont let the hits stat fool you, look at the home/away splits to see how ridiculous the MSG guys are at handing out hits) I feel we need to address the toughness issue on this team.

here is my suggestion.

Sign this guy:

He'd immediately help out our toughness by a billion %, and ensure that nobody goes near Henrik.

Plus, we would know what the oppositions "primary objective" is in 2 seconds flat.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 02:15 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Any serious suggestions for improving team toughness?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Any serious suggestions for improving team toughness?
Doh, i actually did have something i wanted to put in my original post, but the Jack Bauer thing made me go off on a tangent.

Chris Neil, I wanted to mention that he is a guy I think we should seriously target. He'd help with toughness BIG TIME.

Old
01-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Erik Cole would be a great pickup.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 02:20 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Doh, i actually did have something i wanted to put in my original post, but the Jack Bauer thing made me go off on a tangent.

Chris Neil, I wanted to mention that he is a guy I think we should seriously target. He'd help with toughness BIG TIME.
I don't know, Neil struggled last season and has been even worse this year. He just strikes me as more crap to play on the bottom line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
I've advocated for Cole for awhile now.

Old
01-12-2009, 02:30 PM
eco's bones

I'd love for the Rangers to get Neil. Not the greatest talent but a legit player who hits often and hard and can fight. With Ottawa taking a dump--it could be possible. He would raise our competitive level.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I'd love for the Rangers to get Neil. Not the greatest talent but a legit player who hits often and hard and can fight. With Ottawa taking a dump--it could be possible. He would raise our competitive level.
probably one of the 2 or 3 most feared hitters in the game. unlike any of the players we have on our roster, this is a guy who can change the complexion of a game just by what he can do out there physically.

Old
rangers4ever2007

orpik would have been perfect had he wanted to come here, but sign me up for cole too

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYROrtsFan

I hate Neil. Rather him be hurt enough where he can't play hockey anymore.

But the team does need a more physical presence. To get that, you'd probably rather get rid of a guy like Sjostrom because he's not very physical, and he's a bottom line player.

A big reason why I was a fan of HOllweg... He put fear into opposing players. He had next level power in his hitting.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 02:47 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I think the team needs offense first and foremost. Neil does nothing to address that area of concern. Unless Ottawa wanted to do a straight-up swap of Neil for Voros (or Rissmiller), I don't see much of a point. A swap of Neil for Sjostrom would make sense too, but we'd be taking on the prorated share of the 400k more that Neil makes. I'm not totally opposed to Neil, it's just that I don't see where he'd fit and who we'd give up to make him fit.

Old
01-12-2009, 02:47 PM
045NYR

we need someone like Lucic or Komisarek.

045NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 02:50 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 045 DEUCENYR View Post
we need someone like Lucic or Komisarek.
Someone in that mold--talent with grit--would be great, though I seriously doubt that either MTL or BOS would be looking to move those guys.

Old
01-12-2009, 02:51 PM
045NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Someone in that mold--talent with grit--would be great, though I seriously doubt that either MTL or BOS would be looking to move those guys.
i think Komisarek is gonna be a free-agent, but we wont have the room for him anyway. i think we'd be better off with an offensive tough guy anyway.

045NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 02:52 PM
94now

While small men are often tough, it does not apply to undersized hockey players. You cannot have speed and toughness from the same skaters unless they are so-called Power Forwards. Last time I checked Rangers are really short of such a kind.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 02:54 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Dane Byers
Paul Gaustad
+ some needs to just tell Aaron Voros to do his job. He either needs to be the center of our teams physicality or score a bunch of goals. If he is not doing either of those every game he plays, he is not doing his job.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Some bigger bodies couldn't hurt, but finding big bodies that can score, fight and keep pace with the rest of our forwards is a tall order.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 02:56 PM
nyrfan519

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
Is Cole available? He would fulfill a need; a decently-sized winger with a scoring touch and an edge to his game. But he only has 17 points this year, so is that one reason why Edmonton might try to unload him? I know Edmonton as a team is also underachieving this year.

nyrfan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 02:59 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Some bigger bodies couldn't hurt, but finding big bodies that can score, fight and keep pace with the rest of our forwards is a tall order.
The only way you get those guys is by drafting them.. THey just aren't available.

Old
01-12-2009, 02:59 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
I hate Neil. Rather him be hurt enough where he can't play hockey anymore.

But the team does need a more physical presence. To get that, you'd probably rather get rid of a guy like Sjostrom because he's not very physical, and he's a bottom line player.

A big reason why I was a fan of HOllweg... He put fear into opposing players. He had next level power in his hitting.

um. no.

fear into opposing players? that he was going to paralyze them perhaps. his 5 minute misconducts were dangerous and selfish. he's a borderline player at best.

"next level power in his hitting" ? yes, echl level maybe.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 03:03 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan519 View Post
Is Cole available? He would fulfill a need; a decently-sized winger with a scoring touch and an edge to his game. But he only has 17 points this year, so is that one reason why Edmonton might try to unload him? I know Edmonton as a team is also underachieving this year.
coles game has vanished. hes a shell of his former self. the oil fans want him gone. bad.

again, we need to be careful we arent trying to aquire a guy who was good but may no longer have the game he did. he played that rough power forward type game and although he was very good for a while, i fear the injuries have taken a toll on him. this guy isnt the same guy who played for carolina all those years.

i would pass on erik cole unless he came at a huge discount.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 03:04 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

um. no.

fear into opposing players? that he was going to paralyze them perhaps. his 5 minute misconducts were dangerous and selfish. he's a borderline player at best.

Not to turn this into [another] Hollweg thread, but he's pretty much established himself as an NHL goon. As long as he isn't suspended, someone will want his services. He's no ECHLer.

Old
01-12-2009, 03:04 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:

um. no.

Any time you have a big hitter, you have to live with the penalties that come with it. HOllweg was young and would have gotten better on when to take those chances.

But he was a big hitter by any standard. Opposing players had to be aware when he was on the ice, even when it was a clean hit.

Old
01-12-2009, 03:08 PM
nyrfan519

Quote:
coles game has vanished. hes a shell of his former self. the oil fans want him gone. bad.

again, we need to be careful we arent trying to aquire a guy who was good but may no longer have the game he did. he played that rough power forward type game and although he was very good for a while, i fear the injuries have taken a toll on him. this guy isnt the same guy who played for carolina all those years.

I would definitely take him at a discount. I know he's been struggling and he's battled many injuries over the years, but he's only 30 years old. You would just hope that at some point he rediscovers his game. Although you are right that we should be careful. We thought Redden would rediscover his game.....

nyrfan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 03:08 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:

Just last season he had over 50 points. Having seen him a couple times this season, it's pretty clear that the ability is still there, but that he desperately needs a change of scenery. He'll be UFA after this season, so if we could get him it'd be a worthwhile risk IMO.

Old
01-12-2009, 03:31 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:

And you came to this in-depth analysis based on watching how many Oiler games this season? Zero? One? Two?

Erik Cole's game is exactly the same as it's always been. He's been snake bitten for a while, not to mention the fact that he's probably hit more posts than anyone in the league this year. He's been one of the hardest working players for the Oilers game in and game out.

Early in the season, he was being played on his off wing, and recently, he's actually started to put some points on the board again.

Cole is a really useful player that I would love the Rangers to acquire. The problem is, how the hell would they re-sign him next season?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote