HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Addressing team toughness

Old
01-15-2009, 03:13 AM
Sheriff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
That's a good reason not to pick him up, because he's been criticized for 30 games on one of the league's biggest underachievers.

Here's an idea: try watching him play and then formulate an opinion about it yourself.
It's always great to get such amazing ideas here at HF. I watched at least five Oilers games this season and he didn't do much. So that's my opinion, but I'm sure you've seen all 40 games and you have a totally different view.
Remember a guy named Poti? Oilers fans must have been idiots to criticize and boo him, because he was such a fine and strong player then. I'm sure you had your own opinion on him also

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
cole had a hat trick last night.
Well then give him 36 million $ for six years

Sheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 03:20 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Neil is a good NHL fighter. If he was a Ranger he would instantly become the 2nd best fighter on the team and maybe the best hitter. Neil is a spot picker with skill. I don't think we at all settled a score with Jackmen he ran our top skilled defenseman and took liberties with us all night, Callahan, Dubi yea the are skilled guys that play with a edge and I love it but Betts lol as a tough skilled forward nah a pk guy yea nothing more.
It was also a 2-1 game. Against the worst team in the league. You don't go headhunting for Jackmen because he threw a few clean hits in a game you're leading 2-1. You pick your times and that would've been a very undisciplined time to let a guy throwing a few clean hits on your better players throw you off your game. That's how you throw games away when you're a team that does not score many goals like us. Just look at the last game we played against the Sens when Jarku Ruutu was in the game.

Betts finishes all his hits. He's a good enough skater to throw some decent hits as well.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 03:22 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff View Post
The Rangers are one of the softer teams in the league.
Most important would be a mean defender and an agitator up front who alternates with Colton Orr.
Against the bigger teams, you do notice that Renney plays Aaron Voros, right?

Mean defenders aren't defenders with jobs in this league anymore, you need to be more than just some mook that can clear the crease to get a paycheck in the NHL these days. I'll take Staal, Girardi, and Mara, all on seperate pairings, over some big bafoon who's gonna take dumb penalties because he's a big marked guy anyday.

Old
01-15-2009, 03:33 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Then you're definition of power forward is different from that of...all hockey fans, basically. You think Eric Lindros wasn't tough? Eric Lindros may have had a glass jaw, he may have never kept his head up, may have been injury prone, etc etc, but he was definitely a tough player when he was healthy. He was a beast. You couldn't win a battle against him in the corner, you couldn't knock him off the puck, and you couldn't move him out from in front of the net.

And I hate Eric Lindros, so this is no bias from me.

No, what I'm saying is we aren't a very tough team, and one of the reasons for that is our lack of size. If we were tough we wouldn't allow other teams to run our goalie, which happens fairly frequently. If we were tough, we wouldn't have as much trouble playing in front of our opponent's net as this team does. In general, we just aren't a particularly physical team. Most teams in the league are more physical than we are.

Toughness also turns into intimidation, and part of that IS size. Size and toughness do go together. Yes, you can be a tough little guy, and we have a bunch of them, but when that's all you have, that doesn't make you very tough overall when compared to your competitors.

How do you measure toughness? I'm not sure, but I think one of the ways to try and gauge it is how difficult do we make it for other teams to spend 60 minutes on the ice against us, how physically demanding do we make it? My answer to that is not very.

I'm not claiming this team is a bunch of *******, but we are far from the toughest team in the league, and while we have bigger issues to address than this team's toughness, that is one of the many problems with the squad.
Being able to win a battle in the corner doesn't make you tough, and power forwards in my mind are not one in the same as tough hockey players. Mats Sundin, power forward, not someone I know for toughness. I never knew Eric Lindros for toughness just because honestly the guy never really scared me, even when he was on the flyers in his prime. Basically you're definition of tough guy is find someone that can stand in front of the net and not lose the puck.

My definition of tough is someone that can take a hit, someone that is willing to go to the places on the ice that some players shy away from. This includes the corners. The front of the net. In front of our own net. Players that win battles usually are the tougher players but some of them are just bigger, somewhat stronger guys. Strength and size don't always equal toughness.

I understand your point about how it would be nice to have a big guy, and I wonder if Aaron Voros didn't cool off as much as he did to the point where he's part of the rotation for who's scratched from the 3rd line, if we'd be this worried about team toughness.

I beg that everyone doesn't forget we have this guy. He's big, he's got hands, he can hit, he can shoot. He's going to be hot and cold because he's not a 20 goal scorer, at least not at this point in his career, maybe down the road. He can fight, he may not be a heavyweight and maybe he should be for his size, but he never gets embarrassed. Doesn't back down from anybody, is very difficult to move from the crease. In the playoffs, he's going to be a very valuable asset in a 7 game series. He's the kind of guy that defenseman get sick of and look to take liberties with, he's the kind of guy that will get in their heads and distract them from our real threats.

And then it's this simple: Beggers can't be choosers. Aaron Voros may not be the ideal answer for anyone here. I saw someone suggest we trade Voros AND a 5th for Neil in this same thread I think. WHY?? Neil and Voros are one in the same, except Voros is bigger! Well, Voros is also a clean player. You think Neil is going to score more than Voros on our team?

We often see other middle of the line players get hot or show some offense on other teams..listen, most times it's not going to translate or carry over to New York if they were to come. Facts.

And as far as Intimidation goes, there are many ways to intimidate another team. Our goaltender is a very intimidating factor. Our defense, IMO, is very intimidating as well. As individuals, not so much, but as a unit it's solid. Teams know this, and fans here will disagree with me but when you're giving up 1 or 2 goals a game the defense is doing something right, I don't care if Jesus himself is in net.

Old
01-15-2009, 03:40 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethon2998 View Post
Blair Betts???? i mean if your seriously gonna say betts then you may as well have on there sjostrom not to mention staal and MARA who is probably our toughest player. Callahan and Dubinsky are 7th and 8th in hits, respectively, in the league. The Rangers are not a physically dominant but also do not shy away from playing a rougher game. I think they need to add something minor at the deadline, whether it is a player like Neil. I would love to have a Steve Webb or of course Avery on our roster. Someone to come out, throw the body around, cause a ruckus.
That list was only forwards. I agree that Mara is definitely are toughest player. Our top 3 toughest players are probably Mara, Staal, Girardi. But Betts skates his ass off and always finishes hits, that was why he was mentioned. Sjostrom IMO does NOT always finish hits. He forechecks hard but doesn't go out of his way to take the body.

If we go out and get someone where exactly do they fit into the lineup? We already have a surplus of forwards as it is. I like all the forwards we have. I'd like it if Aaron Voros wasn't scratched too often too. Even if we sent Korpikoski back down, it'd still mean sitting Dawes, Prucha, Sjostrom, or maybe even Betts. Orr needs to be in the line-up every game. He's improved his game to the point where he is a good enough player to warrant a 4th line spot every night.

I loved Avery when he was here, but I really think the last thing we need is that kind of distraction on this team. We don't have the kind of guys around that will find Avery's act amusing or keep it calm anymore. A drury, gomez, naslund lockerroom is a lot more similar to having leadership like Morrow and Modano than it is Jagr, Shanahan, Straka, etc.

The minute Avery passes the line, it's would put Gomez, Drury, and Naslund all in awkward spots because you can tell those are guys that aren't going to quickly say "hey dude that's not gonna fly around here, cut it out." All you need to do is look at Drury's reaction to what Avery did against Brodeur in the playoffs with the screen.

Old
01-15-2009, 03:45 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
So? Aaron Voros is garbage. This man is only effective when he's tough, but he does very little most of the time. As I've said before, he was signed to replace Avery's role on the team, but Avery is a major disturbance, at least to most teams. Voros is a minor nuisance to the opposition. I'm not saying I necessarily wanted Avery back, but to think Voros would be a suitable replacement was foolish, and since he isn't, he's essentially useless.

Quote:
Mean defenders aren't defenders with jobs in this league anymore, you need to be more than just some mook that can clear the crease to get a paycheck in the NHL these days. I'll take Staal, Girardi, and Mara, all on seperate pairings, over some big bafoon who's gonna take dumb penalties because he's a big marked guy anyday.
No one is asking for a big buffoon, nor does anyone want to get rid of Staal, Girardi or Mara. What people want is a Brent Burns, or a Shea Weber instead of a Wade Redden. Or a Chris Phillips or an Anton Volchenkov.

Ah, but to get those guys, you kind of need to draft and develop them yourself.

I'd also love to replace Dmitri Kalinin with a better Sabre, one who probably will be in play, either this season or next, Henrik Tallinder. He's not having a great year, but I doubt he stays this way. May be aiming too high, with him though. Might cost too much to get.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 03:54 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
If we go out and get someone where exactly do they fit into the lineup? We already have a surplus of forwards as it is. I like all the forwards we have. I'd like it if Aaron Voros wasn't scratched too often too. Even if we sent Korpikoski back down, it'd still mean sitting Dawes, Prucha, Sjostrom, or maybe even Betts. Orr needs to be in the line-up every game. He's improved his game to the point where he is a good enough player to warrant a 4th line spot every night.
If we go out and get someone, we would have to get rid of Voros, for one, which wouldn't bother me one bit. I'll give him away for free. I don't want Korpikoski getting sent down, either. I like him playing with Dubinsky and Zherdev. It's not like Naslund is going to play with them because then Gomez is stuck centering Callahan and another third liner, and we can't have that now can we?

The only reason Orr needs to be in the line-up every game, by the way, is because this team does lack toughness. Without him, I don't think any team going against us is going to have any fear at all.

If we were tougher, we wouldn't need to play a player who provides virtually no offense. You'd think a team with an offense as lackluster as ours would look for every bit of help it could get.

Old
01-15-2009, 03:57 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
So? Aaron Voros is garbage. This man is only effective when he's tough, but he does very little most of the time. As I've said before, he was signed to replace Avery's role on the team, but Avery is a major disturbance, at least to most teams. Voros is a minor nuisance to the opposition. I'm not saying I necessarily wanted Avery back, but to think Voros would be a suitable replacement was foolish, and since he isn't, he's essentially useless.

No one is asking for a big buffoon, nor does anyone want to get rid of Staal, Girardi or Mara. What people want is a Brent Burns, or a Shea Weber instead of a Wade Redden. Or a Chris Phillips or an Anton Volchenkov.

Ah, but to get those guys, you kind of need to draft and develop them yourself.

I'd also love to replace Dmitri Kalinin with a better Sabre, one who probably will be in play, either this season or next, Henrik Tallinder. He's not having a great year, but I doubt he stays this way. May be aiming too high, with him though. Might cost too much to get.
I really don't think Voros was signed to replace Avery, Voros was signed to fill a void and try to give the team a little more size. I know we don't put much faith in Sather and company around here, but I think they may be slightly retarded if they thought Voros was the same kind of player as Avery. And I just completely disagree, he's not GARBAGE he's a 3rd line player and someone that'll prove his worth once he gets back into a groove. Just because he is not a good replacement for Avery, how is that means for him being useless? How many teams have the kind of agitator that Avery was? I can name whatever team gets Avery, and the Sens with Ruutu. The Stars still may have that kind of player in Steve Ott too. That's 3 teams offhand. 2 Really.

The way Del Zotto threw his body around and the fact that he LOST weight and still weighs what, 220? Is very promising on defense. He also looked like he will not take very long to be NHL ready. He was one of our best defenseman in camp this year. Out of ANY of the d-men. So maybe you can put your hope in that.

Old
01-15-2009, 04:03 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
It's always great to get such amazing ideas here at HF. I watched at least five Oilers games this season and he didn't do much. So that's my opinion, but I'm sure you've seen all 40 games and you have a totally different view.
Remember a guy named Poti? Oilers fans must have been idiots to criticize and boo him, because he was such a fine and strong player then. I'm sure you had your own opinion on him also
Haven't you heard? You shouldn't assume.

Doubt there were many Ranger fans who liked Poti less than I did. I was rather partial to Mike York (I still think things could have worked out a lot better for him had he stayed a Ranger, at least for a few more years), saw him as the closest thing to an Adam Graves (my favorite player) the Rangers had at the time.

I haven't seen 40 games, but I've seen a good deal more than 5. I've seen enough to know that Cole was in a slump and just wasn't getting any breaks, that his game hadn't changed. It isn't like Dubinsky's slump, which is hopefully over now. Dubi's game changed, that's why he stopped scoring. Cole's game didn't change, he just wasn't getting the bounces and the team, as a whole, was doing quite poorly. He's scoring goals again. He's got about 8 goals in his last 12 or 13 games.

I don't think 5 games is enough to make a substantial judgment like you're making in your thoughts on Cole. It isn't enough for you, at least.

Quote:
Well then give him 36 million $ for six years
He's a rental. We probably wouldn't be able to afford to re-sign him, considering he would probably command 3.5-4 million a year.

Old
01-15-2009, 04:23 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
I never knew Eric Lindros for toughness just because honestly the guy never really scared me, even when he was on the flyers in his prime. Basically you're definition of tough guy is find someone that can stand in front of the net and not lose the puck.
Please see the following thread from just two-three weeks ago. This eight page thread from the National Hockey League Talk forum. The thread's title: Lindros, what a "beast" player

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...t=eric+lindros

Last edited by NYR Sting: 01-15-2009 at 04:34 AM.
Old
01-15-2009, 08:11 AM
045NYR

Lindros was a beast, but thats for a different discussion.

045NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Pizza

Beast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2T1M...eature=related

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Sheriff

Quote:

I noticed Renney playing Voros in almost every game, so either every team is bigger than the Rangers or Renney plays him constantly. And he is nowhere close to a real agitator like Ruutu or Avery.

Quote:
If you had read my total post, you would've seen that my suggestion for this kind of guy was Bieksa. I might name Orpik or Komisarek as well. Those are guys who can drop the gloves if they have to but play a real great game the rest of the time.

Old
01-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Sheriff

Quote:

I don't think 5 games is enough to make a substantial judgment like you're making in your thoughts on Cole. It isn't enough for you, at least.
Look I'm not gonna waste my time on someone who thinks he knows it all and gets personal. That's why I won't answer on your comments anymore.
Believe you won the "discussion" if it makes you feel great.

Old
01-15-2009, 01:27 PM
In The Flesh

This team is almost exactly the same as the Ranger team 2 seasons ago. Sather went out and got Avery. We all know the outcome. I see Glen doing the same this season. Probably Neil or maybe Tootoo, if he can be had. Hell, I'd like both.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 01:32 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
He was, but there's always two sides to Lindros.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Z7-XRPcrw

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Pizza

Yeah, the before and the after. A prime target, skating with his head down in the era of Stevens was bound to get tagged at some point.

He was never the same. We really got him on the down side. Too bad.

But give the devil his due, the guy was some kind of player. Everything you look for was there: Size, Speed, Skill and a very nasty, intimidating edge.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 04:16 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
He was, but there's always two sides to Lindros.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Z7-XRPcrw
Yes, but it's his prime that is in question. RangerFan10 said he didn't think Lindros was a very tough or scary player to play against in his prime.

I beg to differ.

Old
01-15-2009, 04:28 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Look I'm not gonna waste my time on someone who thinks he knows it all and gets personal. That's why I won't answer on your comments anymore.
Believe you won the "discussion" if it makes you feel great.
"Won the discussion?" I wasn't aware it was a competition. I simply don't understand why people try to make themselves look smart by repeating hearsay they heard elsewhere and passing it off as their own, making the statement or claim even more absurd in the process.

Where I come from, that's a know it all.

As for getting personal, wasn't it you that tried to insinuate that I lacked intelligence because of your out-of-nowhere assumption that I was a fan of Tom Poti (who has nothing to do with the conversation at all, other than the fact that he was traded from the Oil to the Rangers several years ago)?

Old
01-15-2009, 05:31 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:

I noticed Renney playing Voros in almost every game, so either every team is bigger than the Rangers or Renney plays him constantly. And he is nowhere close to a real agitator like Ruutu or Avery.

If you had read my total post, you would've seen that my suggestion for this kind of guy was Bieksa. I might name Orpik or Komisarek as well. Those are guys who can drop the gloves if they have to but play a real great game the rest of the time.
So can Paul Mara for half the cash. But I guess everyone's just itching for another high priced d-man to vent frustration on.

If you read my entire post you'd see that i never suggested Voros was any sort of agitator. All I said was a guy with that kind of size will take a defenseman off their game if they're constantly having to clear him away from the crease

Old
01-15-2009, 05:42 PM
shoothepuck

A thread on team toughness that invokes the name of Poti more than twice is really going off the mark. The team should aquire some bigger tougher players, ala Cole or Neil, if they can move some of the crap we already have, but that may not be the real issue. A bigger problem is a "soft" team mindset, and that comes from their leaders. They allow anyone to run Henrik. You can watch 2 or 3 players wack him after a whistle, and 3 or 4 Rangers stand there doing nothing playing the role of spectator. Tom won't even put Orr out on the next shift to retaliate. No one on this team takes a name or a number after an injustice, and adding an agitator won't solve the problem.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 06:07 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
A thread on team toughness that invokes the name of Poti more than twice is really going off the mark. The team should aquire some bigger tougher players, ala Cole or Neil, if they can move some of the crap we already have, but that may not be the real issue. A bigger problem is a "soft" team mindset, and that comes from their leaders. They allow anyone to run Henrik. You can watch 2 or 3 players wack him after a whistle, and 3 or 4 Rangers stand there doing nothing playing the role of spectator. Tom won't even put Orr out on the next shift to retaliate. No one on this team takes a name or a number after an injustice, and adding an agitator won't solve the problem.
True. Not a Renney basher at all, but Toms MO when it comes to toughness and the use of Colton Orr is best defined as reactionary.

He will send Orr over the boards to respond to a perceived liberty taken on his team, but I would like to see Renney use Orr to initiate the rough stuff early (for ex: the Pens and Sid at MSG) on more occassions and especially against teams in their division.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
If you are watching the game today vs Pitt. then you cannot argue we need to get bigger and fast

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 01:15 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

This team is too soft. We don't have enough guys who can give out a beating and still play the game well. Our top hitters are Callahan, Dubinsky, and Girardi. None of these guys are considered "tough guys." We need someone who will give out the big hits, can fight, and at least play decent hockey. Unfortunately, we have no one like that. Avery was the closest thing, but he wasn't really a big hitter, and was an average fighter.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2009, 02:27 PM
fourhole

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
This team is too soft. We don't have enough guys who can give out a beating and still play the game well. Our top hitters are Callahan, Dubinsky, and Girardi. None of these guys are considered "tough guys." We need someone who will give out the big hits, can fight, and at least play decent hockey. Unfortunately, we have no one like that. Avery was the closest thing, but he wasn't really a big hitter, and was an average fighter.
When has this team ever been feared? Maybe in '94. We tend to draft alot of 5'10" 175 lbs.. 08's draft gives us some hope, but not much sitting on the bench saying " put me in coach". By the way, Erik Cole would be a huge improvement on left wing.