HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs better shore up defence

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2004, 11:25 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite
Yeah, because Ric Jackman's play was similar to that of Jason Smith.....
Yeah, because the Leafs are now looking for a tought, gritty d-man. Jackman was the best, but he did the job. Sigh...remember the days when some Leaf fans were so happy with Jackman's play...

Old
03-07-2004, 11:32 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Devil_Boy
Yeah, because the Leafs are now looking for a tought, gritty d-man. Jackman was the best, but he did the job. Sigh...remember the days when some Leaf fans were so happy with Jackman's play...
Did WHAT job ? Make horrible decisions in his own zone ? Cough up the puck numerous times ?

Jackman played decently for FIVE games at the beginning of the year. Shake your head all you want, but besides the pre-season and those five games, he has never looked more than average.

There are still some die-hard Jackman fans in the Leaf community. We have Jackman update threads. Hell, we still have die-hard Nathan Dempsey fans in the Leaf community.

I wish Jackman all the best, because he really had all the tools, but his hockey sense is brutal.

I could cares less if Jackman (or any defenseman for that matter) can hit like a mack truck, if they are still poor in the defensive zone, they are worthless.

That's the common misconception on these boards IMHO - that physical rugged play equates into good defensive play and that is not necessarily true.

Jason Smith was a MUCH MUCH better defensemen in his tenure as a Maple Leaf than Ric Jackman ever was.

Old
03-07-2004, 11:36 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite
I wish Jackman all the best, because he really had all the tools, but his hockey sense is brutal.

I could cares less if Jackman (or any defenseman for that matter) can hit like a mack truck, if they are still poor in the defensive zone, they are worthless.
Agreed about the hockey sense part. He was an enigma out there. One good shift followed by a bad one. As for poor defensive zone coverage, there are a few current Leafs d-man who could qualify for that category....and that doesn't even include bad turnovers... *cough Kaberle*

Old
03-07-2004, 11:47 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Agreed about the hockey sense part. He was an enigma out there. One good shift followed by a bad one. As for poor defensive zone coverage, there are a few current Leafs d-man who could qualify for that category....and that doesn't even include bad turnovers... *cough Kaberle*
You're joking right ? The ONLY thing, ONLY thing Ric has on Kaberle is that he is more physical.

ONLY thing. Kaberle is a superior d-man in every other aspect of the game.

Ric Jackman was given a shot to play for the Maple Leafs defense this year. He played well in training camp. He was good (more so offensively than defensively) for about FIVE games and then he played himself off the team.

It's as simple as that. Ric Jackman (in his current state) is NOT good enough to be a top six defensemen for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Jackman is 26. He has yet to win himself a full time job as an NHL d-man, let alone a good one. End of Story.

Old
03-08-2004, 12:30 AM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
My god you're annoying. Do you always talk garbage or what? All I have to say is thank god I am not a Devils fan so I don't have to listen to your verbal diarrhea day in and day out. First off Kaberle in an off year is still on pace for 34 points and a +16. I was a huge supporter of Jackman until I realised he was never going to be that guy that I hoped he would be. All I have to say is if your comparing what he's been doing in Pitts to what he's done in Toronto then it's not even worth talking about. Jackman is the Pens top 2 defenseman. He logs lots of ice time and his mistakes don't matter much because the Pens suck, no offense to any pens fans but you know what I am saying is true. Jackman would not crack the top 6 on any contending team whereas on a weak team like the Pens he looks much better than he really is *hence Berhowsky*. But that's enough of trying to make a point to you and your what something like 7k posts.. christ!! What do u do? Reply to every dam post on every board? That's just insane.

Old
03-08-2004, 08:01 AM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
He is signed for another three seasons after this one at:
04-05: 3,100,000
05-06: 3,000,000
06-07: 2,700,000
To TOR- de Vries, Half of that Contract already eaten.

To NYR- Bell

Old
03-08-2004, 08:04 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Ric Jackman didn't fit the bill eh?

...and neither did Jason Smith...
Ric Jackman was garbage during his time in Toronto.

GAR-BAGE.

Old
03-08-2004, 08:35 AM
Capt Tuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHurricane16
Is it common for every Sunday morning to start a thread just because of what Don Cherry said last night? Really, I was beginning to think micdan was quoting him word for word.

Marchment....the most feared defenseman in the league. My ass. Yeah, no one wants to suffer a cheap shot.

Old
03-08-2004, 08:42 AM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
To TOR- de Vries, Half of that Contract already eaten.

To NYR- Bell
If the rangers would accept that deal I would do it. The only thing is I wouldn't want to bring on alot of long term contracts worth 3-4 million a year. De Vries would be perfect for Toronto though.
Pairings.
1:McCabe/Leetch
2:de Vries/Kaberle
3:Marchment/Klee

Ta hell with Sean Hill... The guy is so unpredictable when he's not in Carolina IMO he's not worth the gamble. Though if there adding Jeff Oneill it makes it more interesting to be sure.

Closed Thread