HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs and New York Islanders

Old
01-15-2009, 11:04 AM
grabo84

vCash: 500
I'm not as hung up on the leafs getting a top two pick as I was at the start of the year. I could see any of the top four picks turning into a franchise player, although my money would still be on Tavares or Hedman being the best. Svensson-Paajarvi was one of my favourite players in the tournament, and Schroeder has awesome skills.

A few years ago McCabe had a lot more value around the league, but it didn't work out in Toronto. I wasn't on the boards last year, so I don't remember people asking for these huge packages for him, but that would obviously be ridiculous if it was last year.

Stralman's fine, he's a good young player, but he was sort of hyped coming out of Sweden. It wasn't really all Leafs fans. He just needs to get stronger, his decision making is pretty good, and he has awesome stick-handling and passing. He's obviously not a sure thing, no young player is.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
I'm not as hung up on the leafs getting a top two pick as I was at the start of the year. I could see any of the top four picks turning into a franchise player, although my money would still be on Tavares or Hedman being the best. Svensson-Paajarvi was one of my favourite players in the tournament, and Schroeder has awesome skills.

A few years ago McCabe had a lot more value around the league, but it didn't work out in Toronto. I wasn't on the boards last year, so I don't remember people asking for these huge packages for him, but that would obviously be ridiculous if it was last year.

Stralman's fine, he's a good young player, but he was sort of hyped coming out of Sweden. It wasn't really all Leafs fans. He just needs to get stronger, his decision making is pretty good, and he has awesome stick-handling and passing. He's obviously not a sure thing, no young player is.

I wouldn't say he has "awesome stick-handling and passing" (I'd say it is "good"). But, otherwise, I pretty much agree with your read on this player. Good young prospect who was a find on the later rounds. Probably won't be elite, but should be a solid asset for Toronto.

01-15-2009, 12:22 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Go Green View Post
In a way I am hoping that the Isles end up with the 2nd overall pick as it will remove a lot of the second-guessing of Garth that will be rampant regardless of who he would pick at #1.
It's a real tough descision. I personally feel that Hedman is probably the better pick Long term(let's say 10 years from now) but Short term the Islanders need a star forward that can sell tickets. Islanders would be stupid not to pick Tavares if picking #1, but if that desicion was taken away from them I actually wouldn't mind it.

That being said it looks like the Islanders will most likely finish last, meaning that there pick will get one of those 2 choices and the Islanders would look pretty stupid trading the pick for a bunch of marginal player and another pick in the top 10. As one Islanders fan pointed out if Toronto was serious about tradin up in the draft, Schenn would be the first name that would be mentioned in the deal.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 12:39 PM
grabo84

Yeah, probably better to say good stick-handling, and decent passing, but you got the general idea. You see flashes of brilliance from him, but not always that consistent. Still, I really like his game, I'd be awfully disappointed if Burke traded him.

Old
01-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yeah, probably better to say good stick-handling, and decent passing, but you got the general idea. You see flashes of brilliance from him, but not always that consistent. Still, I really like his game, I'd be awfully disappointed if Burke traded him.
Trading him would make no sense. His top end exceeds his trade value.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 12:45 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Trading him would make no sense. His top end exceeds his trade value.
Exactly. Same thing with Tlusty, I don't get why so many people throw him into trades as well.

Old
01-15-2009, 12:51 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Exactly. Same thing with Tlusty, I don't get why so many people throw him into trades as well.
I'd say it is more so the case with Tlusty. Still has major upside but has yet to show anything in the pros. You trade him now you won't get much - but you could be letting go a guy who is a strong top six forward down the line.

Old
01-15-2009, 12:58 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringEvanderToTO View Post
TO Leafs:Freddy Meyer
1st Rounder 09
MIke Sillinger

TO Islanders: Leafs 1st rounder 09
Anton stralman
Ryan Hollwegg
Ian White
Vesa Toskala
No way to both higlighted parts. Isles are not trading their first round pick this year, espeically since it will be 1 or 2. But, good try.

Last edited by IslesFanatic: 01-15-2009 at 01:05 PM.
IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 01:01 PM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
No way to both higlighted parts. Isles are not trading their first round pick this year, espeically since it will be 1 or 2. But, good try.
The thing you fail to realize which has been pointed out numerous times in this thread is that the Leafs would have a higher draft pick than the Islanders without Toskala.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 01:02 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
the fact that people think this deal favors Toronto boggles my mind!

Toronto will have the lower pick than the Isles by getting rid of their goalie, they give up a stud prospect in Stralman, and a usefu player in White.

It is an utter steal for the Isles!! DiPietro is better than Toskala, but, not when he's hurt. ...forget $$, he would get the Isles more wins because a Healthy DiPietro is good, and when he's out, Toskala is far better than anything else you may have (his poor stats this season as a Leaf aside)
Its actually very simple. The ISLES ARE NOT TRADING THEIR FIRST ROUND PICK UNLESS ITS FOR CROSBY,MALKIN, OR OVECHKIN. Utter steal for the Isles! Yup, Hollweg is ****ing awesome. he would help us out a lot.

Old
01-15-2009, 01:03 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosh Pit View Post
The thing you fail to realize which has been pointed out numerous times in this thread is that the Leafs would have a higher draft pick than the Islanders without Toskala.
There is no way the Isles drop out of the 1 or 2 spot. Look at their goaltending right now. they won't win many games with Danis and Dubie and MacD.

Old
01-15-2009, 01:37 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosh Pit View Post

I'm not sure that is the case. Joey Mac has seriously outplayed Toskala this season and, in fact, has better numbers on a team that is not doing as well. So, there is little reason to believe that Toskala would improve the situation on the Island. We'd still be horrible

Toronto might get worse without Toskala - but I'd say that whatever success they have had htis year is in spite of Toskala - not because of him. My guess is that they'd patch the net with a second tier guy from another team and be slightly less horrible than the Isles have been.

A little fun stat - Toskala's SAA% is 44th in the NHL. Dead last among NHL goalies who have played more than one or two games. What in the world would make anybody believe that this sort of crappy goaltending would elevate the Isles? Right now, Toronto would be very lucky if they could move that contract.

Last edited by Darth Milbury: 01-15-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old
01-15-2009, 01:41 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Go Green View Post
In a way I am hoping that the Isles end up with the 2nd overall pick as it will remove a lot of the second-guessing of Garth that will be rampant regardless of who he would pick at #1.
If you don't care which one you get then why not have the 1st and see what the 2nd team has to offer to move up to ensure their pick.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 01:52 PM
grabo84

Because he doesn't want to see the second guessing that would bring.

Old
01-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
If you don't care which one you get then why not have the 1st and see what the 2nd team has to offer to move up to ensure their pick.

I'd be fine with that. I think Hedman will be a total stud.