HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your prayers may be answered: Teppo might sit Wednesday

Old
01-12-2009, 04:42 PM
eSabre

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to eSabre
Your prayers may be answered: Teppo might sit Wednesday

Quote:
Ruff also is sticking with a seven man rotation on defense. He said that Chris Butler was playing better than Henrik Tallinder so he used him in Detroit. Teppo Numminen skated with Nathan Paetsch today so it's possible he could be the odd man out in Chicago. Tallinder was back with Toni Lydman. Ruff says you can never have enough defensemen and they'd lose one if they waived any so that won't happen. He says he's told Paetsch that he's in that seven or eight slot and will have to wait for a few injuries to get back in.
http://www.wgr550.com/Ruff-skates-the-team-hard/3643660

eSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 04:47 PM
CMP

That's good to hear, Teppo has had a seat waiting for him in the pressbox for a long time. I was surprised that Hank sat out, I thought he played well lately and has been better than Teppo. Tallinder played well with Lydman so I hope Ruff keeps that pairing together.

CMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 05:03 PM
OpethianSabre20

One can only hope that he finally sits. With that being said, I'll believe it when I see it.

OpethianSabre20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 06:12 PM
The Real

Please... Let there be a god.

The Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 06:13 PM
ugotmybeef*

Lindy seems to be reading these boards.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 06:17 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

It's not happening. I'll believe it when it does, if it does.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Kruschiki

**** man, I should have wished for money or something.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Clock

I wonder if the motivation for this is that Lindy thinks he's simply not top 6 material or if he's merely giving the old man a rest. I'm hoping it's the former, given that the all-star break is coming up anyhow...

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 07:36 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
I wonder if the motivation for this is that Lindy thinks he's simply not top 6 material or if he's merely giving the old man a rest. I'm hoping it's the former, given that the all-star break is coming up anyhow...
Ruff won't show his cards. If he sits Teppo out it'll go like this: If they play well and win without him he's not good enough. If they they play lousy and lose, he's just getting a rest.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 08:33 PM
The Real

Quote:
Clock, is that winnie cooper?

The Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 11:58 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real View Post
Clock, is that winnie cooper?
It is. I don't see the hype, personally.

Old
01-13-2009, 12:00 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
Ruff won't show his cards. If he sits Teppo out it'll go like this: If they play well and win without him he's not good enough. If they they play lousy and lose, he's just getting a rest.
Which is why I'm desperate for some decent journalism in Buffalo. If any reporter, host, or writer had any depth to their hockey knowledge, we'd know a bit more about this team.

I'd love for someone to ask that question pregame...

Old
01-13-2009, 12:46 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Ruff mentioned today about using a 7 man rotation on defense. Paestch being the odd man out.http://buffalonews.typepad.com/sabres/

It sounds basically like the scenario many have wanted to see. Teppo rotating in and out while Butler stays and gets ice time. Its also puts some heat on the other vets.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:53 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Which is why I'm desperate for some decent journalism in Buffalo. If any reporter, host, or writer had any depth to their hockey knowledge, we'd know a bit more about this team.

I'd love for someone to ask that question pregame...
Sabres Edge (blog from the Buffalo News sport staff) is a decent resource for Sabres info.

http://buffalonews.typepad.com/sabres/

WGR has some decent coverage as well, particularly Paul Hamilton's reporting

http://www.wgr550.com/

Here's Hamilton today with info on the defense http://www.wgr550.com/Ruff-skates-the-team-hard/3643660

Quote:
Ruff also is sticking with a seven man rotation on defense. He said that Chris Butler was playing better than Henrik Tallinder so he used him in Detroit. Teppo Numminen skated with Nathan Paetsch today so it's possible he could be the odd man out in Chicago. Tallinder was back with Toni Lydman. Ruff says you can never have enough defensemen and they'd lose one if they waived any so that won't happen. He says he's told Paetsch that he's in that seven or eight slot and will have to wait for a few injuries to get back in.

Old
01-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Clock

Quote:
It is. I don't see the hype, personally.
It's more of a joke than anything else.

Anyhow. Good... give Butler the minutes.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Here's Hamilton today with info on the defense http://www.wgr550.com/Ruff-skates-the-team-hard/3643660
"He said that Chris Butler was playing better than Henrik Tallinder so he used him in Detroit"

BS

Butler has shown me nothing much this season, let alone playing better than Tallinder. Ruff really seems to just have it out for Hank like Jbuds was talking about in his thread. Butler would be sliced apart against top lines in this league nightly.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 09:38 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
It's more of a joke than anything else.

Anyhow. Good... give Butler the minutes.
I'm just saying I don't think she's all that pretty. Give me Topanga Lawrence

Old
01-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Penalty Killa
glitter skates

Quote:
I'm just saying I don't think she's all that pretty. Give me Topanga Lawrence
i'm taking this to the OT thread to post pictures, but topanga got faaaaaaaaaaat.

Penalty Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 10:43 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
"He said that Chris Butler was playing better than Henrik Tallinder so he used him in Detroit"

BS

Butler has shown me nothing much this season, let alone playing better than Tallinder. Ruff really seems to just have it out for Hank like Jbuds was talking about in his thread. Butler would be sliced apart against top lines in this league nightly.

Before we get into Ruff having it out for Hank. I think its fair to mention that Tallinder's play in the game prior to his benching he played so-so. Thats when he was paired with Teppo. Butler was playing better with Teppo so he went back in.

Ruff also wanted Lydman to stay with Rivet. So the options to get Butler back in are Tallinder or Spacek.

I also feel Ruff is tinkering with the defense trying to find the right combos. Butler has complicated things (in a good way) in that regard. In the sense that he is a leftie which limits his possible partners. Plus his youth means he should be kept on the bottom pairing for now.

I agree with you that Butler is not ready for duty as a top pairing dmen. Tallinder has played better the last few weeks but for some reason he struggles on the bottom pairing.

But Hank appears to be getting right back into the mix and with Lydman as his partner. Rivet seems to be Butler's new partner at this point.

Last edited by joshjull: 01-13-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old
01-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Vito_81

Quote:
Before we get into Ruff having it out for Hank. I think its fair to mention that Tallinder's play in the game prior to his benching he played so-so. Thats when he was paired with Teppo. Butler was playing better with Teppo so he went back in.
I'll agree with you there. He was so-so against the Rangers. Buthe was so-so because of his partner.

The vast majoritity of Tallinder's so-soand down right poor games come with Teppo Numminen as his parter. It's clear that for one reason or another Teppo/Tallinder is NOT a good paring and Teppo seemingly brings out the worst in Tallinder.

Also, sure I'll agree that Butler has looked better with Numminen than Tallinder has. But I think it's clear that it should have been Numminen out of the line up.

Quote:
But Hank appears to be getting right back into the mix and with Lydman as his partner. RIvet seems to be Butler's new partner at this point.
This will work better for our D as a whole. You get the best of Tallinder when he's with Lydman. Rivet I believe is a better fit for Butler. We'll see how this turns out, I'm excited for it.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:56 AM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
I think Butler's been the most consistent defenseman we have. He's been playing better than Sekera, who has sadly become a turnover machine in his own zone. And if I see Sekera fumble a simple back pass at the blue line and then trip over his own feet, again, I'm just gonna snap.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
I think Butler's been the most consistent defenseman we have. He's been playing better than Sekera, who has sadly become a turnover machine in his own zone. And if I see Sekera fumble a simple back pass at the blue line and then trip over his own feet, again, I'm just gonna snap.
this is ridiculous.

Butler gets 12 minutes of ice vs 3rd and 4th lines while Sekera gets 24 minutes vs 1st and 2nd lines...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:11 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
Sekera has had issues at times but you're comparing apples to oranges. Butler's ice time and level of competition faced is dwarfed by Sekera's.

Old
01-13-2009, 01:31 PM
SpachoMan

Send a message via AIM to SpachoMan
I'm still stunned that Ruff chose Tallinder to single out after the NYR game considering Lydman's play.

SpachoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 02:45 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
this is ridiculous.

Butler gets 12 minutes of ice vs 3rd and 4th lines while Sekera gets 24 minutes vs 1st and 2nd lines...
That's just not always the case when you can't match up on the road or during the second period when you have the long way to get to the bench and can't get off the ice. There were at least a handfull of times I saw Butler out against Hossa and Datsuyk in the Red Wings game. The d-pair changes overlap more than the forwards. I'll give you the minutes, but to say he *only* plays against 3rd and 4th lines is just not accurate. Sometimes you get caught and you just have to play against whomever is out there.

And Sekera fumbling the puck and tripping over himself twice in the last couple weeks, on the powerply no less, just shouldn't be happening. Plus all game long during the Detroit game he had opportunities to clear the D zone and instead would turn around and skate back into the corner trying to regroup to lug it out himself, only to be pinched off by two players on a forecheck and turn it over. I didn't see Butler do that, regardless of the level of competition.

I'm not saying Butler's outright better than Sekera, but he's had less mistakes than others as of late.

Last edited by zbubble: 01-13-2009 at 02:56 PM.
zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote