HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kyle McLaren

Old
01-12-2009, 05:26 PM
nyrfan519

vCash: 500
Kyle McLaren

Isn't this guy playing on San Jose's minor league team simply because the team doesn't have room for him on the NHL roster? With that being said, I would think that would be available for a low price. The Rangers should look at him, because he would bring a great deal of size and an obvious element of physicality to the Rangers' blue line. What does everyone think?

nyrfan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
He's alright, physical defensman, but he lacks any mobility whatsoever.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Claxton

He'd easily be the worst player on the Rangers. Thats all you need to know. His game is non existent

Claxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 05:38 PM
nyrfan519

I'm just saying, everyone talks about how the Rangers lack physicality, well here's a prime example of a physical player. Most of our current defensemen have mobility but not enough of a physical edge. McLaren is the opposite, and he would at least provide balance to our corps as a whole.

Here's an article about him and his situation:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

Old
01-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I think McLaren would be a similar addition to a Strudwick. Except he plays a more physical style and would offer the bit punishing hit that Struds was unable to deliver. He would still be low man on the depth chart, and possibly find himself a healthy scratch now and then, but he would immediately be the most physical of the teams defenseman...Granted he would also be the least mobile as well...but as someone else mentioned, the club has it's share of mobile defenders already.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 06:01 PM
SML

I don't know how this guy fell off so hard, but if he's spent all year in the AHL and nobody took a shot at him, it's got to be pretty bad. I don't think we get better by adding a mean but immobile dman to our lineup.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I don't know how this guy fell off so hard, but if he's spent all year in the AHL and nobody took a shot at him, it's got to be pretty bad. I don't think we get better by adding a mean but immobile dman to our lineup.
it's because of the cap. I would replace Kalinin with him for sure............he will likely get moved at the deadline

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 06:22 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
it's because of the cap. I would replace Kalinin with him for sure............he will likely get moved at the deadline

One can only hope!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 06:34 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

from what I recall, McLaren really fell into Wilson's doghouse last season. He had Malik like trade value to the fans. That said, it sounds like he has somewhat rebounded? He's gotta have tons of confidence in his game right now but you have to deal with two big big issues. 1) his $2.5M cap hit. 2) he needs to go through re-entry waivers to play in the NHL again.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Fletch

I was a huge fan of McLaren for a while...the guy hasn't been the same since a bunch of injuries over the years. Shame - he was a real tough, and good, defenseman.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I was a huge fan of McLaren for a while...the guy hasn't been the same since a bunch of injuries over the years. Shame - he was a real tough, and good, defenseman.
That's what really determined the lack of a trade market for him. He's just never been able to make it through an entire season, and he makes too much money to be a 7th d-man.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
That said, it sounds like he has somewhat rebounded? He's gotta have tons of confidence in his game right now
no he hasn't. no he doesn't.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 10:27 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
no he hasn't. no he doesn't.
so those words of praise were all for drumming up his trade value or something? Do you watch the Worcester Sharks a lot or did you act on a sudden urge to be dismissive? More info please.

Old
01-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
so those words of praise were all for drumming up his trade value or something? Do you watch the Worcester Sharks a lot or did you act on a sudden urge to be dismissive? More info please.
sudden urge to be dismissive, more than anything.

I haven't watched any of Worchester's games this season, but I'm using some common sense here. GMs don't often go out of their way to dump on a player in their organization, it just doesn't make sense. Renney said a number of times that Kasparaitis was just a victim of the cap, truth is, he was ridiculously bad. Wilson apparently thinks McLaren belongs in the NHL. however, he and all other 29 NHL GMs were unwilling to give him an NHL job.

and he's only played in 14 games this season, is he injured?

Old
01-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
I've supported this idea all season, he was the odd man out due to cap issues in San Jose. Adding Blake and Boyle really pushed him outta the picture. McLaren is better than Strudwick, he's like a Mara personality wise but is a lot more physical and yes he's not fast. I'd gladly replace Kalinin for McLaren to fill the 6th d spot

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:14 AM
Levitate

Why do you want a physical defenseman that you'll just have to watch get beat again and again because he's too slow to do anything?

You simply cannot be an effective defenseman if the only thing you bring is physical play. McLaren is way past his prime and wouldn't make the Rangers defense better.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:21 AM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
sudden urge to be dismissive, more than anything.

I haven't watched any of Worchester's games this season, but I'm using some common sense here. GMs don't often go out of their way to dump on a player in their organization, it just doesn't make sense. Renney said a number of times that Kasparaitis was just a victim of the cap, truth is, he was ridiculously bad. Wilson apparently thinks McLaren belongs in the NHL. however, he and all other 29 NHL GMs were unwilling to give him an NHL job.

and he's only played in 14 games this season, is he injured?
Yes, Downie cheap-shot him

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:52 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Well, I think it is relatively safe to say, McLaren > Kalinin. Don't know how Sather could finagle that one though. Get McLaren on reentry waivers and waive Kalinin? Might as well try since McLaren would have to pass through waivers to play for us. Don't know if there are any teams out there willing to take Kalinin. Atlanta? Tampa? doubt they want to increase their payroll anymore.

Old
01-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Levitate

it's not safe to say McLaren is better than Kalinin

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Well, I think it is relatively safe to say, McLaren > Kalinin. Don't know how Sather could finagle that one though. Get McLaren on reentry waivers and waive Kalinin? Might as well try since McLaren would have to pass through waivers to play for us. Don't know if there are any teams out there willing to take Kalinin. Atlanta? Tampa? doubt they want to increase their payroll anymore.
San Jose won't put him on re-entry waivers because even if he gets claimed on re-entry waivers SJ will be over the cap.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 02:47 PM
nyrfan519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
it's not safe to say McLaren is better than Kalinin
Yes it is.

Old
01-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan519 View Post
Yes it is.
no it is not.

Old
01-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Fletch

I don't see how it's safe to say McLaren's better than Kalinin. I think people value guys who, at some point in their careers, have been physical, which McLaren was (and boy was he!). He'd fight and knock guys into next week. Great fun to watch when he wasn't a Ranger.

This goes back to the days of a guy like Brad Brown. Everybody loved him. He hit, he fought and played it tough - he lasted how long with the Rangers? Fans too often confuse defense with hitting/physical play. Too often they simplify the position, which is actually quite complex and requires quick reactions.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 03:04 PM
nyrfan519

Quote:
no it is not.
Kalinin sucks. He is a turnover machine who is supposed to have offensive talent, yet has managed a grand total of 8 points this year. People have been talking about how good he's been recently. He hasn't been good; he's been mediocre as opposed to atrocious.

We know what we would be getting with McLaren: size, physicality, and overall a solid stay-at-home defenseman.

Old
01-13-2009, 03:07 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan519 View Post
Kalinin sucks. He is a turnover machine who is supposed to have offensive talent, yet has managed a grand total of 8 points this year. People have been talking about how good he's been recently. He hasn't been good; he's been mediocre as opposed to atrocious.

We know what we would be getting with McLaren: size, physicality, and overall a solid stay-at-home defenseman.
We know that? He's not even in the NHL?