HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 41 - Tue Jan 13, 2009 - 7:30 EST - Carolina at Ottawa - Sportsnet ‎

Old
01-13-2009, 11:23 PM
pepty

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asquaredx2 View Post
To make the 8th seed against Boston we would have to replicate what the Detroit Red Wings did in the first half of the season.

Forget the playoffs. It isn't happening.

You can finish 10th and get an OK prospect, or you can finish last and get someone you could build your franchise around.

Your choice.

We're fans because we care about the future of this team beyond the immediate season.
Ottawa has tanked for the first pick before.
Hello Daigle.

And look at Stamkos struggles this year.

I would rather see the team on the upswing at the end of the year.

The Sens have 2 picks,they can probably use them to move up in the draft if there is someone they really want.

Elliott and Alfredsson were late round picks.

Its important not to trade those picks away year after year, but the draft can be a crap shoot.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:29 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFan75 View Post
Anybody who wants this team to tank and lose just for the POSSIBILITY of getting a high draft pick is not a fan.....pathetic...

If the Sens take advantage of this game in hand they will quickly climb the standings...
To what end exactly?

I don't want the team to lose every game left in the season, but they're not going anywhere this year.

I like to see the team win as much as anyone, but it will take a lot of wins for me to think that this team could do any damage in the playoffs, and that's not even considered the massive mathematical improbability that they will vault an entire handful of teams to get into the 8th spot.

I'd prefer a higher pick.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:36 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
To what end exactly?

I don't want the team to lose every game left in the season, but they're not going anywhere this year.

I like to see the team win as much as anyone, but it will take a lot of wins for me to think that this team could do any damage in the playoffs, and that's not even considered the massive mathematical improbability that they will vault an entire handful of teams to get into the 8th spot.

there is a chance we make the playoffs, but we need a major run!

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:46 PM
JoeSakic

There is zero chance we make the run to the playoffs and be successful. One game doesn't change the fact that this team has been brutal for over a year now. I know it's a baby step in the right direction but let's not get overly excited.

I can say that I'm very impressed with Elliot so far...interesting to see how this team responds tomorrow night in Atlanta. For Elliot very interested to see how he fairs tomorrow and then back at it against Montreal.

For those hoping for a high pick, this team wasn't going to lose the rest of it's games so they got one of the wins out of the way.

JoeSakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Volt

Great game by the Sens according to the score, I wonder where this effort in the first half. Now I didnt see the game so can anyone tell me how Elliott performed (brief description please and thank you).

Volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:58 PM
Volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSakic View Post
There is zero chance we make the run to the playoffs and be successful. One game doesn't change the fact that this team has been brutal for over a year now. I know it's a baby step in the right direction but let's not get overly excited.

I can say that I'm very impressed with Elliot so far...interesting to see how this team responds tomorrow night in Atlanta. For Elliot very interested to see how he fairs tomorrow and then back at it against Montreal.

For those hoping for a high pick, this team wasn't going to lose the rest of it's games so they got one of the wins out of the way.
+1

Just remember people, the future is bright!!!!!!!

Volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:08 AM
Larionov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance Boy View Post
Wow, empty seats all over the place
True dat. I was there, and there were a ton of empty seats in the lower bowl. I'm thinking there might have been 14,000 in the building, tops. Announced attendance was 18,500, but that is sold tickets, not a turnstyle count. The weather was not suitable for man or beast, and all afternoon Environment Canada had weather warnings basically telling people to get off the roads and stay home. Traffic was horrendous, the weather sucked, the team is awful, and one of the worst draws in the league comes to town on a weeknight. You'll see a few more of these kinds of games attendance wise as the season wears on, and it becomes brutally clear that we aren't going to make the playoffs.

I'm glad Brian Lee got a ton of ice and played well, because I'll tell you what -- Jason Smith simply can't skate well enough to play in the NHL anymore. God, is he slow. His lack of foot speed is being cruelly exposed out there, night after night. They simply have to plank him - there was a time when he could fight through that lack of mobility and make a contribution in this league, but that time is gone. There is a reason why Philly let him walk. Gritty guy, a gamer, and all that good stuff, but his time in this league has come and gone.

Larionov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:23 AM
Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
Great game by the Sens according to the score, I wonder where this effort in the first half. Now I didnt see the game so can anyone tell me how Elliott performed (brief description please and thank you).
A standup Goalie, rapid lateral movement, NO rebounds!

He showcased all three this game..

Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Pangu

Quote:
Originally Posted by costermonger View Post
Lee with 24:59, +3 tonight. I know he's been getting a lot of icetime, but that's more than 4 minutes more than anybody else. I guess he's proved himself to Hartsburg.
More Brian and less Alex - that's my motto

Pangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:09 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangu View Post
More Brian and no Schubert - that would be mine.

RedWhiteBlackGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:40 PM
bert

Quote:
To what end exactly?

Thank you

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangu View Post
More Coster and less Pangu, that's my motto

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 02:25 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance Boy View Post
Wow, empty seats all over the place
Its not just ottawa its happening in alot of other citys as well.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 06:04 PM
sensfan83*

Quote:
To what end exactly?

Depending on how well Elliot (and the team) plays... this team could move up the standings significantly. I don't think they could beat Boston, but I think every other team in the East is quite beatable (except maybe WSH).

We'll get to play both Montreal and Buffalo 4 more times this season. If the Sens go on a tear and win all those games, they could easily pass one of them in the NE.

Also, the Atlantic is gonna be a war zone. For example, the Rangers have 37 games left. 2 against New Jersey, 3 against Pittsburgh and 5 against Philadelphia. That's over 1/4 of their remaining games against division rivals. I'm sure the other Atlantic teams play a similar amount of head-to-head games.

I think by the end of the year the East playoff picture is gonna look something like the West currently does (where the 5th seed is on pace for only 91pts, and 88pts gets you into the playoffs)... I just don't see Mtl, Nyr, Phi, Pit, NJ, Buff, Car or Fla being very much better than each other...

sensfan83* is offline   Reply With Quote