vCash: 50
Game 41: Blues @ Flames - 7:30 MST - SNET-W / Fan960

(16-22-3, 35 PTS)

VERSUS

(25-12-4, 54 PTS)

@

The Pengrowth Saddledome

Quote:
The Calgary Flames have been one of the NHL's hottest teams over the last month. Their run started with a win over the St. Louis Blues.
Quote:
Calgary has surged into the Northwest Division lead with its current 9-1-1 stretch. The only two losses in that span have come to Chicago - an overtime loss at home Dec. 19 and a 5-2 road defeat Jan. 4, which stands as the Flames' only regulation loss in their last 13 games. Their last loss at the Saddledome in regulation was a 3-1 defeat to Dallas on Dec. 2.
Quote:
No Calgary player is hotter right now than Langkow, with a four-game goal-scoring streak and a point in seven straight games. He had a season-high three points - one goal, two assists - in Thursday's 5-2 home victory over the New York Islanders.
Quote:
The Blues' previous loss to Calgary was only part of their current miserable stretch of 11 losses in 15 games. St. Louis seemed to be snapping out of its funk last week when it totaled 11 goals in consecutive wins over Columbus and at Vancouver, but that momentum ended Sunday with a 2-1 loss at Edmonton.

We just need to keep doing whatever it is we've been doing lately. What was that again...? Oh yeah, winning . Just keep it rolling boys; you've been doing a helluva job lately. Especially you Langkow. Blues are one of the weaker teams in the league, but that had better not lead the Flames to take a day off. At this point, it's the only thing I'm concerned about, and even that isn't much of a concern.

Likely out for the Blues are:
  • Defensemen Jay McKee, Eric Brewer, and Erik Johnson.
  • Wingers Paul Kariya and DJ King
  • Centreman Andy McDonald
Likely out for the Flames are:
  • Wingers Todd Bertuzzi, Wayne Primeau and Brandon Prust
  • Defensemen Jim Vandermeer (or is he...)

RADIO
STREAM

Last edited by Noori: 01-13-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old
01-12-2009, 10:27 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
Let's keep the winning going!

Go Flames!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post

Likely out for the Blues are:
  • Defensemen Jay McKee, Eric Brewer, and Erik Johnson.
  • Wingers Paul Kariya and DJ King
  • Centreman Andy McDonald

Yan Stastny is also out with an injury and will not play, as per the Fan 960.

And as far as the Flames:

Quote:
LW Todd Bertuzzi (hip) skated by himself before Monday morning's practice, according to Keenan, and is considered day to day.

"He'll skate again tomorrow and we'll go from there," said the coach.

If he can't go Tuesday against St. Louis, the Flames would have to summon someone from AHL Quad City. That, or rush D Jim Vandermeer into the lineup and use him on the fourth line (which is where he practiced Monday).

"I had him at forward today, just to get him skating and get his legs under him and get some quick movement and to test the ankle," said Keenan.

http://communities.canada.com/calgar...s/default.aspx

Old
01-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Caribou Lou

Hopefully the break didn't kill our momentum.

Also, holy crap @ the Blues' injuries on defence.

Old
01-13-2009, 12:05 AM
haQ Loob

Is this a game for McBackup?

Old
01-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Sleazy P Martini

4 days without a flames game... i've been going crazy.

Old
01-13-2009, 10:36 AM
DownInFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by haQ Loob View Post
Is this a game for McBackup?
No this is a game for Kipper. Why put the backup in when they had almost a week off. Anything that could have been ailing Kipper certainly isn't there now. Save big Mac for a back to back game.

Hope the Flames come out with the same intensity that we've been seeing from this group lately. It would be fantastic to go 7 pts up on Vancouver with 2 games in hand. Go Flames Go!!!

Old
01-13-2009, 10:46 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames 4 Life View Post
No this is a game for Kipper. Why put the backup in when they had almost a week off. Anything that could have been ailing Kipper certainly isn't there now. Save big Mac for a back to back game.

I agree.

Old
01-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Hyde

Keenan says Bertuzzi is likely out with Vandermeer coming in.

Calgary Herald Blog:

http://communities.canada.com/calgar...ermeer-in.aspx

Rob Kerr's Blog:

http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/r...son-42-vs-stl/

Last edited by Hyde: 01-13-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old
01-13-2009, 03:52 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazy P Martini View Post
4 days without a flames game... i've been going crazy.

No kidding. A long time between games.

Hopefully the break doesn't have a negative effect on the team. This is a blues team we should beat quite easily so hopefully the flames come out and play well. Didn't know Vandermeer was ready to play. He should do fine on the fourth line.

Old
01-13-2009, 04:08 PM
debil

I hope Pardy is staying. If I were to choose between him and vandermeer I'd take Pardy.

Old
01-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Wags

Quote:
Originally Posted by debil View Post
I hope Pardy is staying. If I were to choose between him and vandermeer I'd take Pardy.
Me 2...I have been really impressed with Pardy's development this year.

Old
01-13-2009, 05:17 PM
soulj43r

Let's let Vandermeer play on the 4th line. If one of the d-man are struggling or get into penalties (fights, etc) then Vandy can easily step in.

Old
01-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Lunatik*

if it was a choice between Pardy and Vandermeer... I would choose Vandermeer in a heartbeat... Phaneuf played his best hockey of the season when he was paired with Vandermeer... what I would rather see though is Giordano used as a forward and Pardy paired Sarich

Old
01-13-2009, 08:34 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Let's go Flames! Win this one for Doc Seaman!

Old
01-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Noori

I can hear the crowd again.

Old
01-13-2009, 09:07 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Let's go Flames! Win this one for Doc Seaman!
Any chance anyone could Youtube the Doc Seaman tribute? I love out in Vancouver but knew Doc and would love to see the tribute. I tried the online stream but it cut out on me.

Thanks.

01-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Noori

Oh boy.

Quote:
Blues are one of the weaker teams in the league, but that had better not lead the Flames to take a day off.
Just a sloppy, sloppy period thus far. PP time for the Flames. Let's tie it up.

Old
Noori

Cammy 1-1!!!

Old
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Woooo... Cammalleri on the PP! Thanks Janssen.

Old
01-13-2009, 09:11 PM
PIMking

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
No kidding. A long time between games.

Hopefully the break doesn't have a negative effect on the team. This is a blues team we should beat quite easily so hopefully the flames come out and play well. Didn't know Vandermeer was ready to play. He should do fine on the fourth line.
I spoke to his brother on friday night and he said that he would be ready this week. sorry for not relaying the message.

Old
01-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Great! Make Janssen pay for his late hit(s)!

Old
01-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Sleazy P Martini

glencross really having a bad period so far, thank god cammaleri responded so quick!

Old
01-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

vCash: 1075
A good period. Everyone did their job, and did it quite well too. Right from the first puck the Flames played with intensity and passion. Hard hits, a magnificent fore check, and good pressure. There were a few moments where the Flames got a little unhinged, and looked to be about a half step out of sync with each other. But they recovered quickly and with authority. They need to tighten up a bit in the neutral zone, but other than that, the first was a good solid Flames type of period. Oh and good goal there Miikka. Felt the Blues needed to be spotted one eh? It's ok though, as you have looked brilliant otherwise.

The power play was actually really good on both of their chances that period. Great possession and crisp passes were the order of the first PP. I did note that the players held onto the puck for a tad too long, and allowed the Blues netminder to get set fairly easily. The second power play was over and but quick. Phanuef charges the zone, gets the puck to Cammy, Back of the net. You simply could not have planned it better. No penalty kill that frame as the only infraction was Roy pummeling the waste of flesh Janssen.

And again big props to Roy for taking Janssen on again. What a waste of flesh. Dirty dirty dirty. I may have to update my list of "I hate that player" to include this pathetic chump.Iggy is looking lost out there tonight. Bad passes, trouble skating, the list goes on. One has to wonder if there actually is a nagging injury. Giordano is continuing to raise his stock with his ever improving play. Who knew?

Old
01-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
There might be a good rivalry be in the making, if those two teams meet in the play-offs at some time in the not so distant future.

Old
01-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

vCash: 1075
As one might expect the second period was not the best period played by the Flames this season. BUT!!! It was the best second period they've played. There wasn't a lot of energy or hard fore checking, but there were more smart plays and solid if less powerful defense. There were small bouts of hard nosed in your face play, mainly by Glencross and Moss. Most everyone else was there, if not noteworthy.

The penalty kill was brilliant yet again. They played very aggressive and were right on the puck carrier forcing the play and creating turn overs. They also beat the Blues to a large number of the dump ins and were able to fire the puck the length of the ice. Glencross and Nystrom both had their short handed chances. It's becoming expected from Nystrom. He gets at least one break per PK and manages to make something out of it every time. The time will come when he'll be able to get the goals to go with the chances too. The power play was back to the lacklustre, no effort beaten mule we more than recognize. There was no set up, no urgency, no pressure. They only gained the zone once and that was Iggy's breakaway chance. I really try not to be too rough on the PP unit as I understand the other team is working (harder in our case) to deny the power play, but this is becoming ridiculous.

Iggy? Iggy? Iggy? He's been so not himself all game tonight. That one breakaway was his only moment of "Iggyness" For that matter only Cammy's PP goal is saving them from utter horrible tonight. GET YOUR POOP TOGETHER!!! On the flip side of that coin is the second line. They've been amazing. Especially in the second period there. I knew Janssen was a dirty player, but Crombie with the high elbow too? It's no wonder that Nystrom, Pardy, Roy, and I think Vandermeer have dropped the gloves? And good on you guys too. Also of note is the proof Regehr has a harder head than Tkachuk. One hopes he's not too seriously injured.

Closed Thread