HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Tom Renny teach Robbie Schremp how to play NHL hockey? (merged)

Old
01-12-2009, 10:14 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Can Tom Renny teach Robbie Schremp how to play NHL hockey? (merged)

Heard some talk on CBC today that the Oilers have just about given up on the talented Schremp, despite him putting up some points when he got called up. MacT says he's soft, his game is soft etc etc

This kid has SERIOUS skills, but for whatever reason has not developed into an NHL player. I know it happens.

But what about Tom Renny working with Schremp. Yea he'd have to actually make the team but TR has done really well with some younger borderline players. Helping them learn the game at the NHL level, better their 2 way game, work hard etc.

What could he do with a prospect with skill like Schremp?

If the Rangers could pick up Schremp where would he stand in the Rangers prospect rankings?

01-12-2009, 10:18 PM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
The only thing that interests me about Schremp is that he is from Fulton, NY (near Syracuse). So being back in NY State with the Rangers or, better yet for him, Buffalo, might revitalize him a bit.

Otherwise, I'm not sure.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

who cares where he's from

if renney had such a problem playing prucha, im pretty sure schremp would be buried down in HFD

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ecemleafs

what would it take to get him?

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

ive seen shremp play in WBS. he has alot of talent but just half ***** it at times and yes is soft. very very skilled though. i dont know if you guys have seen teh videos but type his name in to youtube and you will see what im talking about

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Hockey2000nyr

id love to have a guy with the skill of schremp, the problem that he has in edmonton is that hes the kind of guy that cant play on the bottom-6, hes too talented. if u look at edmonton they have a formidable top-6 without schremp, personally i think schremp will be dealt by the deadline, and i would love for the rangers to jump on him, hes not an answer to our offensive woes, but he might be able to help them a little...

i wonder what it would take to get schremp from them, i wonder if we could get him cheap....

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Hockey2000nyr

hes also a guy that needs something to motivate him in order to play to his fullest extent....hmm sounds like someone else we used to have that never could really put it together....

we got him from montreal, could u name him?

Old
01-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey2000nyr View Post
hes also a guy that needs something to motivate him in order to play to his fullest extent....hmm sounds like someone else we used to have that never could really put it together....

we got him from montreal, could u name him?
Balej? Hossa? Enough with the scrubs!

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Hockey2000nyr

haha hossa, he had the talent to really be something in the NHL, but he just didnt have the motivation or drive to do it. its sad to see a guy with his talent not become something in this league.

Old
01-12-2009, 11:10 PM
In The Flesh

I'd def. throw EDM a pick for him. And it can't hurt Sather has some connects there. Renney is a players coach and he's pretty good at getting the most out of this players. A lot of times just a change of scenery is needed. And we really don't have a set #1, #2, #3 line. We need offense, why not??

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:03 AM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
I'd def. throw EDM a pick for him. And it can't hurt Sather has some connects there. Renney is a players coach and he's pretty good at getting the most out of this players. A lot of times just a change of scenery is needed. And we really don't have a set #1, #2, #3 line. We need offense, why not??

I'd take a gamble at this kid, why not? He has put up 3 points in 4 games for EDM this season. I don't know what would get it done, but possibly a second/3rd?

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:06 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
I'd take a gamble at this kid, why not? He has put up 3 points in 4 games for EDM this season. I don't know what would get it done, but possibly a second/3rd?
most id give is a 3rd. especially since we seem to be able to get 1st round talents from russia in the 2nd 3rd rounds lately because other teams are scared that they wont come over.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:19 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Tom is probably the last coach that could teach him NHL hockey.

Schremp is a creative player, the kind Tommy benches all the time for not playing a "safe" game.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:21 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Tom is probably the last coach that could teach him NHL hockey.

Schremp is a creative player, the kind Tommy benches all the time for not playing a "safe" game.
like who? Prucha? Voros?

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Metallian*

schremp = wellwood

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:25 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Schremp's problem from the beginning has been motivation and drive to succeed. All the talent in the world can't teach a prospect to work hard and when that isn't good enough to work even harder.

And the question really should be, can Ken Gernander teach this kid how to play in the NHL.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:26 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
As a diehard Wolf Pack fan I've been able to see Schremp play countless times in a Springfield Falcons uniform. I do like him as a player and he comes off as a great guy (he tosses pucks to kids after warmups whether he's home or away) but he just can't put it together this year. He did nothing for the Falcons on their important 5-3 powerplay that spanned the last minute of the 2nd period and first minute of the 3rd period against Hartford on Friday. He's got great talent and shows it off during warmups but it hardly ever translates to gametime. I'm not sure if having a better team would help. I've never seen him dominate a game against Hartford. Gilbert Brule has done more damage against the Pack than Schremp has.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:27 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
like who? Prucha? Voros?
Voros is creative?

Im talking Prucha, Zherdev, Dubinsky.

Voros is just scratched because he is a terrible hockey player. Though I guess he does play a "Renney" type game since for some reason he was put back into the line to only take bad penalties and bring a line down. But as long as he doesnt try to be creative then he's good to go.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 07:22 AM
Synergy27

I'm all about highly skilled players, they play the kind of hockey that I love to watch. But, MacT had some harsh words for this kid, I mean harsh, and unlike some people around here I tend to take the word of those intimately involved to heart. It's nice to think that a guy like Schremp might be able to come in here and solve our PP woes, but there is a reason he is not in the NHL.

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 07:22 AM
Bury Your Head

If we can get him, I'd do it. Schremp has a TON of talent and has played well in the NHL, so why not?

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 07:32 AM
MStaalzy18

No ! ! !

I wouldn't go neaaaarly as far as saying that Schremp is a "great guy." I attended a number of hockey camps with Robbie before he was drafted and played against him while he was a member of the Rochester Americans, and I can confidently say that I don't want him on my team. The comparisons to Gretzky have come and gone, and rightfully so. Call me a hater, but juniors/minors are one thing; the NHL is a whole other story. Schremp sure can dangle and absolutely knows how to bury the puck, but the negatives seriously outweigh the positives here. This kid is completely one dimensional, cocky and devoid of the drive and committment necessary to be a complete player in the NHL. Just my two cents..

MStaalzy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 07:37 AM
OrbitalDynamics

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
What could he do with a prospect with skill like Schremp?
Turn him into a one dimensional defensive player.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 07:45 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

It's been pretty obvious for quite a while that the Oilers don't think much of Schremp's game, and I'm pretty sure that all 29 other teams have been well aware that the Oilers are not in love with Schremp. Clearly, there isn't much interest in his services. Everyone can see for themselves what the problem is. He's slow, he's soft and his work ethic is...eh.

Quote:
Voros is creative?

Voros is just scratched because he is a terrible hockey player. Though I guess he does play a "Renney" type game since for some reason he was put back into the line to only take bad penalties and bring a line down. But as long as he doesnt try to be creative then he's good to go.
Bingo.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Voros is creative?

Because being on the PK generates momentum and leads to SH goals. Usually 12 goals in the first 42 games. Sheesh, it's like I gotta teach hockey to you guys...

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 09:00 AM
squishy

When I think of Schremp, I think of Alex Bourret. The Rangers organization was unable to fix Bourret's issues, I see no reason to believe they will be the magic cure-all for Schremp.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote