HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Which players are the worst with fans?

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2009, 12:24 PM
omeedb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kducks View Post
Paul Kariya was a major tool when he was with the Ducks. He used to run to his car after practice.
Yeah I remember reading a story where he took a kid's pen and kicked it under a car. Couldn't believe someone would be that annoyed with their stardom to act out like that against kids that admire you. Who knows if it was true but what an ass if it is.

Old
01-13-2009, 12:29 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Someone will probably have at least one bad story about every player. They are human after all. Sometimes you can catch them on a bad day, sometimes their shyness gets mistaken for rudeness and sometimes fans can be real dicks.

However, I have never heard one good story about Gilmour. I would be fascinated to hear if anyone here has had one good encounter with him.

Old
01-13-2009, 12:30 PM
kolider

Another Rob Ray one:

A way back when the Senators played at the Civic Centre, the majority of the hockey players would be forced to come through the upstairs portion of the arena to get to their buses. The only players to find a back way out were usually Gretzky, Lemieux and the like.

Anyways, after a Sabre game in Ottawa I was running around getting autographs from the players. I got Rob Ray's autograph and then he kept using my pen/marker to sign more autographs for other kids. Considering I was probably 15 at the time, I was patient enough as he signed autograph after autograph for other fans which basically left me with nothing to get other signatures with. Finally, I went up to him and asked for my pen back and he turned and gave me the worst stare-down I have ever been given in my life. It was scary as all hell and I still remember it exactly as it was to this day.

I can't remember if I ended up getting the pen back or not.

At least I got to go down to the Leafs dressing room after a game and get all their autographs a few weeks later. Cliff Fletcher was the best.

Old
01-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLudwig View Post
Sean Avery anyone???
Actually.........no. Great guy.

Old
01-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

I went to Bob Hartley's hockey camp for 2 straight summers and met quite a few NHL players.

One was Dany Heatley about 2 weeks before the accident. He didn't smile once, didn't really talk to anyone, and just came off as an arrogant ass.

Joe Sakic on the other hand, is one of the nicest guys i've ever met in my life. He shook my hand and you could really tell he enjoyed being there.

Old
01-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Helistin
Dustin's equilibrium

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolider View Post
Another Rob Ray one:

Anyways, after a Sabre game in Ottawa I was running around getting autographs from the players. I got Rob Ray's autograph and then he kept using my pen/marker to sign more autographs for other kids. Considering I was probably 15 at the time, I was patient enough as he signed autograph after autograph for other fans which basically left me with nothing to get other signatures with. Finally, I went up to him and asked for my pen back and he turned and gave me the worst stare-down I have ever been given in my life. It was scary as all hell and I still remember it exactly as it was to this day.

That's the Rob Ray rule number 2 : All pens loaned to mighty Ray become Ray's property.

Old
01-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Jagger Bomb

Marty Turco bar none. Thinks he's big sh** coming to a small northern town with his buddies. However having said that Aaron Gavey, Jeff Toms and Jeremy Stevenson were very classy individuals.

Old
01-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Raoul Duke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
I heard Brett Hull was an asshat. A friend of My dad's though hockey met him, and made some comment about him being shorter then he thought he would be, and he replied "Yeah, but sitting on my wallet I'm a lot taller then you." Or something along those lines...
That's just Brett Hull being witty in response to your friend's dad being a dick.

Old
01-13-2009, 12:48 PM
RMBoner Stabone

From whom I've met.

Brodeur

Corson

Lindros

Nicest:

Darby Hendrickson
Mark Howe
Brian Propp
Danekyo
Niedermayer
Guerin

Old
01-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josetheodore View Post
From whom I've met.

Brodeur

Corson

Lindros

Nicest:

Darby Hendrickson
Mark Howe
Brian Propp
Danekyo
Niedermayer
Guerin
Psh, Brodeur is the greatest shut it.

Old
01-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Raoul Duke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayWalk3r View Post
From what I read/heard Eric Lindros was always an ass with the fans..

Here's a nice little story I digged up from a couple of months back.
You know how many players bend corners like that? It's so they don't get 50 year old ********** taking their autographs just for ebay.

He signed the autograph, if they want to keep it for the sentimental value of having the autograph for the meeting who cares if the corner is creased?

Eric Lindros is a saint and I will not have anyone bashing him.

Old
01-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel View Post
Colby Armstrong is a major *******.

This was back when he was playing for Pittsburgh's AHL club, after one of their games a few kids(no more than 5) were waiting outside the doors that I guess they knew that the players came out of.. Armstrong had someone come out and scout the area to see how crowded it would be for autographs, went back in and 5 minutes later someone came around and said that Armstrong snuck out a different door where a car was waiting for him.

You can't take 10 minutes out of your god damn night to sign a couple autographs to make these kids happy?
You're the only person that I've ever seen make a statement like that. Everyone else says that Colby Armstrong is one of the most friendly players in the NHL.

Dany Heatley is a complete stuck up asshat. He gives little kids extremely dirty looks if they ask him for autographs. I saw it happen when the Senators came to Edmonton. I was disgusted. If he didn't want to sign them, he could've been a little nicer about it.

Dishonorable mentions to Bobby Holik and Ales Hemsky.

On the other hand, Joe Nieuwendyk and Brendan Shanahan are great guys. I played in a charity lacrosse game with them and a few other NHLers. Niewendyk picked me up, ran me to the net, and let me score. I was talking to him afterwards, and he was awesome. Brent Burns is also a great guy with the fans..or at least he was when he was in the OHL. I don't know what he's like now that he's in the NHL.

Honorable mentions to Jay McClemment and Wojtek Wolski.

Old
01-13-2009, 01:01 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Never met a player who was an ass, but I did have a horrible LIdstrom experience that i blame Verison wireless and will never be associated with their ****-tastic company.

Nicest:

Jonathan Ericsson
Niklas Kronwall

Old
01-13-2009, 01:01 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Not my experience, and doesn't really make him as an ass...

A friend of mine was working one of the bigger rides at the Calgary Stampede about 5 years ago. It was the Bungee Chair, which is essentially a large porch swing with seatbelts attached to rubber cables which are in turn attached to 2 poles 150 feet high. You strap in, the chair is released, and you fling around in the sky for a few minutes.

Dany Heatly was in town and had just strapped himself into the chair and my friend tossed a large bolt (from out of sight) onto the platform in front of the riders. Heatly started freaking out and literally tore himself from the ride (the belts/restraint things locked by this point) and flung himself off the platform. Upon seeing my pal laughing his stupid ass off, Heatly walks up, grabs him by the collar and chucks him into the dirt, swears at him a whole lot, and walks off.

I'm surprised he didn't knock his block off.

Dany Heatley is one of the nicest people i have ever met. He is completely down to earth

Old
01-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Helistin
Dustin's equilibrium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post

Eric Lindros is a saint and I will not have anyone bashing him.
Saint Eric -> Eric IX of Sweden (or Erik the Lawgiver or Erik the Saint. In Swedish he is simply known as Erik den helige or Sankt Erik which translates as Erik the Holy and Saint Erik respectively) (c. 1120 – May 18, 1160) was a Swedish king c.1150 – 1160. No historical records of Eric have survived, and all information about him is based on later legends that were aimed at having him established as a saint.

Old
01-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
I heard Brett Hull was an asshat. A friend of My dad's though hockey met him, and made some comment about him being shorter then he thought he would be, and he replied "Yeah, but sitting on my wallet I'm a lot taller then you." Or something along those lines...
There's one asshat in that story, and it's not Hull.

Old
01-13-2009, 01:09 PM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Never met a player who was an ass, but I did have a horrible LIdstrom experience that i blame Verison wireless and will never be associated with their ****-tastic company.
Do tell

Old
01-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Actually, have a couple more. Andy Sutton, a ******** if I've ever met one. Asked for an autograph when Atlanta played Philly at the JLC for preseason hockey and he was very rude so I started yelling at him because it was the first season after the lockout and I couldn't understand why someone would be rude to fans after costing them a season with their shenanigans. Finally signed after I told him off on how stupid it was of him to be rude when we paid good money so they can have a great living.

Mike Knuble is a great guy, but can get mad if you're an ass to him. I was giving him a hard time as the Flyers were getting ready to come out on the ice during the 2nd intermission and sayin' like hey Mike since when is Toronto in the US? Last I checked it was in Canada, so play for team Canada and his teammates are laughing about it and so was he and then someone behind me yells "Knuble you're a joke!" and he goes Hulk on the guy. Like "Who the **** said that?" and everyone points at the guy who did and he's like "Why would you say that? Why attack me personally?" and I don't blame Mike for it. That game Seidenberg was a penalty machine so I was saying stuff like hey Dennis you're killing us out there, we want a win and you keep taking penalties, stop doing it or you'll be stapled to the bench. Again the Flyers are laughing and so is he cause I'm wearing my Devils jersey at the time.

The year before that the Flyers had come to play Washington and outside the JLC a bunch of kids were screaming "Richards, Richards!" and at this point I have no idea who "Richards" is, so I go to him hey buddy, what's your first name? And he says "Mike" and I told him sorry I didn't know his name, but I didn't want to be rude and get an autograph without knowing him. That next year with Seidenberg and Knuble I see Richards again and I said "Hey Mike" and he looks over and goes "Finally learned my name huh?"

It's sad that I've met more Rangers and Flyers than Devils. So far only Salvador and Jay Leach. Salvador was going to go on the ass list but then realized I was the only Devils fan standing outside in the blistering cold and let me take a picture.

Old
01-13-2009, 01:19 PM
VHC

Send a message via AIM to VHC
Jason Blake is not a friendly guy. If you aren't an adorable underprivileged or sick child, than you are a waste of his time and should get the **** out of his way, and no he will not sign your garbage and yes he did just steal your marker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
Actually, have a couple more. Andy Sutton, a ******** if I've ever met one. Asked for an autograph when Atlanta played Philly at the JLC for preseason hockey and he was very rude so I started yelling at him because it was the first season after the lockout and I couldn't understand why someone would be rude to fans after costing them a season with their shenanigans. Finally signed after I told him off on how stupid it was of him to be rude when we paid good money so they can have a great living.
I saw Andy Sutton at the driving range, and he seemed like an easy going guy. He didn't seem annoyed, shook my hand and made some small talk about the team and how weak his drive was, because of a knee injury. I didn't ask him to sign anything but he hung around for a while and was friendly to the couple of people who recognized him. Very low pressure situation I guess is the difference between our experiences.

Old
01-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHC View Post
Jason Blake is not a friendly guy. If you aren't an adorable underprivileged or sick child, than you are a waste of his time and should get the **** out of his way, and no he will not sign your garbage and yes he did just steal your marker.
At least he's good with the kids. I don't mind if they're *******s to older people because most older people can take it........but be nice to the kids.

Old
01-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Nikko*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
At least he's good with the kids. I don't mind if they're *******s to older people because most older people can take it........but be nice to the kids.
There is no excuse under any circumstances to refuse autographs. And all of you who sit here saying crap like "Well I understood because..." or "It's fine if he didn't want to sign one but..." are just as big of jokes as these players who are absolute ******. Autographs are part of being a professional athlete. It's that simple. You *work* 2/3 out of the year and get paid more than people who spend 9+ years in college and you are going to let someone wanting you to write your name on something annoy you. If you don't like it pursue another profession that you will be paid peanuts for in comparison. Retire and within 2 years people will have probably already forgotten who you were. These morons swear they have life so bad.

One person I have never heard a bad story about is Teemu Selanne. He's one of the star players who I don't think has ever been rude about an autograph.

Old
01-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHC View Post

I saw Andy Sutton at the driving range, and he seemed like an easy going guy. He didn't seem annoyed, shook my hand and made some small talk about the team and how weak his drive was, because of a knee injury. I didn't ask him to sign anything but he hung around for a while and was friendly to the couple of people who recognized him. Very low pressure situation I guess is the difference between our experiences.
Well maybe I changed Andy Sutton that night lol

Old
01-13-2009, 01:40 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Gaborik has been a dick every single time I've met the guy

Old
01-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
There is no excuse under any circumstances to refuse autographs. And all of you who sit here saying crap like "Well I understood because..." or "It's fine if he didn't want to sign one but..." are just as big of jokes as these players who are absolute ******. Autographs are part of being a professional athlete. It's that simple. You *work* 2/3 out of the year and get paid more than people who spend 9+ years in college and you are going to let someone wanting you to write your name on something annoy you. If you don't like it pursue another profession that you will be paid peanuts for in comparison. Retire and within 2 years people will have probably already forgotten who you were. These morons swear they have life so bad.

One person I have never heard a bad story about is Teemu Selanne. He's one of the star players who I don't think has ever been rude about an autograph.
By the way, buddy in your avatar...........complete assclown.

Old
01-13-2009, 01:42 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I went to Bob Hartley's hockey camp for 2 straight summers and met quite a few NHL players.

One was Dany Heatley about 2 weeks before the accident. He didn't smile once, didn't really talk to anyone, and just came off as an arrogant ass.

Joe Sakic on the other hand, is one of the nicest guys i've ever met in my life. He shook my hand and you could really tell he enjoyed being there.
I'm not surprised by this. Sakic seems to really enjoy having been a hockey player. I guess he's in the same breed as the Crosbys, guys that have lived, breath, slept hockey all their life and have never grown up. They're still the same 10 years old kids. Only with a morgage.

Closed Thread