HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Which players are the worst with fans?

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2009, 01:45 PM
Slapshot_11

vCash: 500
This wasn't really bad but when the Hawks came to Vancouver I was there getting autographs and I saw Kane so I asked for one. I had a binder that had scribbles and stuff all over it and a puck on top of it for Kane to sign but instead he signs the binder with all the scribbles right beside it, I was like "wth?" I didnt say anything after

Old
01-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Not a player, but I met Don Cherry once and he was cool. I think it was mainly because I said I agree with 90% of his comments on Coaches Corner.

Never had a bad experience with a player, I've met Saku Koivu, Andre Roy, Donald Brashear, and Pavel Bure and they were all cool as hell.

Old
01-13-2009, 01:50 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger Bomb View Post
Marty Turco bar none. Thinks he's big sh** coming to a small northern town with his buddies. However having said that Aaron Gavey, Jeff Toms and Jeremy Stevenson were very classy individuals.
That's because they sucked.

Old
01-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Someone will probably have at least one bad story about every player. They are human after all. Sometimes you can catch them on a bad day, sometimes their shyness gets mistaken for rudeness and sometimes fans can be real dicks.

However, I have never heard one good story about Gilmour. I would be fascinated to hear if anyone here has had one good encounter with him.
One of my buddies met him in Montreal on Ste. Catherine street during his time with the Habs. Said he was really nice, actually. But my friend was like twenty-five at the time, which maybe made a difference, who knows. Some people just don't like kids for whatever reason.

Old
01-13-2009, 02:09 PM
SLang

Don't know about you guys, but I never ask for players to sign anything unless I meet them at an event specifically set up for the fans to have things signed. I'll talk to them, but never ask for an autograph. With that in mind, I've never had a bad experience with an NHL player, or anyone else who's famous, for that matter (not like there have been hundreds of opportunities or anything).....

Old
01-13-2009, 02:24 PM
ChrisG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josetheodore View Post
From whom I've met.

Brodeur

Corson

Lindros

Nicest:

Darby Hendrickson
Mark Howe
Brian Propp
Danekyo
Niedermayer
Guerin
Every time I've met Brodeur he's seemed like a great guy, very nice and talking to fans. The one time he wasn't he was signing autographs for his book and he couldn't really talk because security was rushing everyone through so it wasn't even his fault. They would only let him give a quick hello.

Daneyko is by far the nicest I've met. I've been at multiple Devils games where he would come down during the period while he was off from the broadcast and just chat with fans and watch the game with them. Also not players but Doc and Chico are also extremely nice. I've shaken both of their hands before in between periods and I always see them chatting it up with fans.

Old
01-13-2009, 02:39 PM
FDBluth

I was at the Canucks training camp in Vernon a few years ago and after their intra-squad game they would all come out to the bus from the arena in a little area that was fenced off all the way around. There was quite a large amount of people around, so it was interesting to see what each of the different players would do.

I distinctly remember Naslund being the first guy out of the dressing room and the last guy on the bus. He made sure to sign for every single fan that wanted an autograph, and he even made small talk with people and posed for pictures. That was pretty cool to see. Seeing Naslund do that is a pretty stark contrast from the year before, when I saw Fedor Fedorov bolt straight from the dressing room to the bus without acknowledging anyone.

Old
01-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
I saw Fedor Fedorov bolt straight from the dressing room to the bus without acknowledging anyone.
Maybe no one wanted Fedor Fedorov's autograph??

Old
01-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
Every time I've met Brodeur he's seemed like a great guy, very nice and talking to fans. The one time he wasn't he was signing autographs for his book and he couldn't really talk because security was rushing everyone through so it wasn't even his fault. They would only let him give a quick hello.

Daneyko is by far the nicest I've met. I've been at multiple Devils games where he would come down during the period while he was off from the broadcast and just chat with fans and watch the game with them. Also not players but Doc and Chico are also extremely nice. I've shaken both of their hands before in between periods and I always see them chatting it up with fans.
Chico is amazing. Daneyko sort of brushed me off when I met him which crushed me. I want to meet Doc.

Old
01-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRus View Post
If it makes you feel any better, I'm sure Rob Ray left a worse taste in Patrick's mouth.

Old
01-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
I was at the Canucks training camp in Vernon a few years ago and after their intra-squad game they would all come out to the bus from the arena in a little area that was fenced off all the way around. There was quite a large amount of people around, so it was interesting to see what each of the different players would do.

I distinctly remember Naslund being the first guy out of the dressing room and the last guy on the bus. He made sure to sign for every single fan that wanted an autograph, and he even made small talk with people and posed for pictures. That was pretty cool to see. Seeing Naslund do that is a pretty stark contrast from the year before, when I saw Fedor Fedorov bolt straight from the dressing room to the bus without acknowledging anyone.
LOL at anyone wanting Fedor Fedorov's autograph It seems like all the A-holes mentioned in this thread are fringe players while the stars were the nice guys.

Old
01-13-2009, 02:53 PM
kmd mode

We were at the airport coming from a hockey tournament where we ran into sean avery. a teammate of mine approached him and repeated avery's actions against brodeur (the infamous screen waving his hands around and yada yada yada that led to the "avery rule")

Avery was pretty cool about it and just laughed it off

Old
01-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Helistin
Dustin's equilibrium

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Someone will probably have at least one bad story about every player. They are human after all. Sometimes you can catch them on a bad day, sometimes their shyness gets mistaken for rudeness and sometimes fans can be real dicks.

However, I have never heard one good story about Gilmour. I would be fascinated to hear if anyone here has had one good encounter with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
One of my buddies met him in Montreal on Ste. Catherine street during his time with the Habs. Said he was really nice, actually. But my friend was like twenty-five at the time, which maybe made a difference, who knows. Some people just don't like kids for whatever reason.
Hmm, weird. I thought Doug liked kids ?

Old
01-13-2009, 03:13 PM
TML13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helistin View Post
ooooh, low blow.

that being said i've only ever met some Jets players when i went to a hockey skills camp in '95. and i met Tim Chevelde, Randy Carlyle, and a few others but i was only 5 or 6 so i dont actually remember it that well. since then i haven't met any NHL'ers. but i did sit next to Ben Guite's mom on the plane coming to BC this Christmas, she was very nice. i was wearing my Leafs jersey and reading Don Cherry's book. and she sat down and started asking me if i like hockey etc. and then said she was Guite's mom and was laughing as she's from Montreal and is a Habs fan.then told me that apparently Jeff Finger is Guite's best friend.

Last edited by TML13: 01-13-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old
01-13-2009, 03:19 PM
eph1413*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
Chelios was a Grade A ******-bag when he was with the Hawks... I can't imagine things have changed much in the 30 years since.
Never liked Chelios, but I have to say I briefly spoke with Chelios and Brian Leetch, who were at the 4's restaurant outside of the Banknorth Garden in Boston during the Wings-Bruins game in November (obviously Chli wasn't playing) and they were both pretty nice. Well Leetch was really nice and Chelios was civil, which surprised me because the Bruins were winning 3-0 I think.

Old
01-13-2009, 03:20 PM
steven91

From my experiences the worst players have been
Alfie - not friendly - even to kids
Glenn Anderson - if he's in public he's ok, alone a jerk
Billy Smith - not nice at all, very unfriendly
Steve Shutt - same as Smith

The best
Johnny Bower
Marcel Pronovost
Guy Lapointe (although he can be a bit of a jerk at times I've been told)
Bill Barber
Danny Heatley
Nick Fologino (maybe the nicest guy on the Sens)
Shaun Donovan
Anton Volchenkov
Keith Primeau
Chris Neil (is great to kids, not as great with adults but by no means a *****)
Deam McAmmond
Bob Probert
Claude Lemuix
Patrick Roy

I'd say I've seen more good ones than bad ones. Hockey players as a general rule are pretty nice guys. There are a few exeptions of course.

Old
01-13-2009, 03:29 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helistin View Post
Ha ha, that was low... although deserved.

Old
01-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Rob Ray told me to suck his dick when I was 7 or 8 when he was playing the Lightning. I must have caught him on a bad day because later in his career he won the King Clancy.
I'm sorry. I lol'ed.

And after reading the thread, I find it kind of odd that Joe Nieuwendyk and Gary Roberts could be such good friends but be considered opposites when it comes to treating fans.

I don't have many memories of a-hole hockey players, but Johnny Oduya's older brother Fredrik was kind of a penishead when he was in the IHL. Not crazy about signing things, even at a team event.

On the other hand, Arttu Kayhko is why I like Finland so much now. I've adopted them as my arbitrary favorite hockey country. Very good guy, a shame he didn't make it very far in pro hockey. He had been at the team's training camp and I actually got his autograph then, (I collected them on the same pennant). When he was recalled later in the season, I asked him to sign. He somehow spotted his signature immediately and pointed it out to me, and asked with a genuine smile if I'd like him to sign it again. Now I have two Arttu Kayhko autographs.

Terry Ryan is a very good guy too.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 01-13-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old
01-13-2009, 03:41 PM
RazorRamon

Patrick Roy was an absolute ***** when I "met" him like 8 years ago. I was in line with a bunch of other kids who were absolutely dying to get his autograph, and when he came out of the dressing room, he pretty much just shoved all of us aside without saying a word so he could get to his car.

On the flip-side, Milan Hejduk and Bryan Trottier were EXTREMELY nice. Milan signed a bunch of hockey cards for me and talked to me for a few minutes, and Bryan even signed the Patrick Roy poster that I brought, since Patrick wouldn't do it himself.

Last edited by RazorRamon: 01-13-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old
01-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Leo W

vCash: 50
Dom Hasek= Douchetastic. Never wanted to converse with any of the fans in Buffalo, often used his superstardom to get advantages in the city by drunk driving, so on. Wouldn't sign a thing for any of the Buffalo fans when he was here.

Old
01-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Gaborik has been a dick every single time I've met the guy
Ironically he has major groin issues....

Old
01-13-2009, 04:12 PM
ChrisG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
Chico is amazing. Daneyko sort of brushed me off when I met him which crushed me. I want to meet Doc.
This all happened at CAA. I would go to games with my neighbor who had tickets in the lower section. Daneyko would come down some periods and sit in the row in front of us and watch games, I believe he was actually sitting with his family but he would talk with all the fans in the area and shake everyone's hand, take pictures in the aisle with kids, etc. Always seemed like a great guy.

One time I was sitting up top and I was going down to the bathroom in between periods and Doc was walking up the stairs passed me so I met him and shook his hand. Very personable. And Chico is just Chico. He's ridiculous.

Old
01-13-2009, 05:11 PM
cjwright79*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
Hey, she's hot man, would you let me #%$#^ her in the %** and %^% on her ^%^&.
I'd say that's a pretty fair response considering you introduced her to him.

Old
01-13-2009, 05:13 PM
cjwright79*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
I heard Brett Hull was an asshat. A friend of My dad's though hockey met him, and made some comment about him being shorter then he thought he would be, and he replied "Yeah, but sitting on my wallet I'm a lot taller then you." Or something along those lines...
Uh, you comment on how short a guy is you should expect something like that in return.

Old
01-13-2009, 05:15 PM
cjwright79*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghymmie View Post
Chris Pronger, When he played for St. Louis he was in Ottawa for a game and walking around the Rideau Center which is a big indoor mall.
He was with his family I do believe (but hard to know if that was actually his wife or not ). He was telling everyone no autographs as he was walking around which I understood fully as he was with his family.
But when this little kid not more then 5 or 6 yrs old walks up to Pronger wearing a St. Louis Blues Pronger Jersey and asked for an autograph and he replied "no", I thought that it was pretty classless.
If the kid is walking up to Pronger though, how would he see his name on the back of the kid's jersey?

Closed Thread