HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kudos to Habs fans

Old
01-14-2009, 01:19 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

vCash: 500
Kudos to Habs fans

I went to my very first NHL game last night at the TD Banknorth Garden.

Montreal was well represented, and your fans were loud and proud. Over in my section, I got into a brief conversation with a Montreal fan and low and behold, it was his first NHL game too!

Bruins and Habs fans were going at it from the time people were coming into the arena. Up in the balcony, the Habs fans that were around me were getting into it pretty good with a bunch of Boston hecklers, but it was all in good nature. It really helped boost the atmosphere.

The great thing was, after Montreal lost, the fans that were sitting in front of me wearing Montreal colors turned around and shook hands with the Bruins fans sitting all around them and everyone wished one another well. I thought it was very classy. I know in a couple of other sections, there were some scuffles that broke out, but over where I was, I was glad to see that the verbal sparring, jeering, and mocking was all kept into context with the sport and not made into something personal.

I just want to say thanks to those who made it out and helped make my first NHL game a great one to remember. I obviously loved what was going on in the ice, but the fan to fan interaction was what made the game really special.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:46 AM
CPrice

Good to hear man, hopefully you'll see lots more.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:11 AM
Monsieur

I never understand these topics.

Do you expect the fans to start bashing each others in the face just because they cheer for different teams?

Monsieur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 03:20 AM
Bumjoo Wang*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur View Post

Do you expect the fans to start bashing each others in the face just because they cheer for different teams?
When all you've heard is how bad and classless and whatnot the Habs fans are, finding out they're not all bad could be a surprise worth sharing.

Bumjoo Wang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 05:32 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
My brother went to Boston to watch the game once, he didn't get the same type of reception. It's just a game in the end, and it bothers me knowing that people take it out of sports and actually hate another guy because he's got a different color jersey on. As for habs fans being classy, it's been said several times that while people may find us annoying with the ole's and all, 99% of us are harmless. Personally, I would shake the hands of a boston fan if he were in the bell center assuming we had some contact during the game. I'm glad that's what happened in your story, I hope you when(if) you go back again, you get the same result.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
I went to my very first NHL game last night at the TD Banknorth Garden.

Montreal was well represented, and your fans were loud and proud. Over in my section, I got into a brief conversation with a Montreal fan and low and behold, it was his first NHL game too!

Bruins and Habs fans were going at it from the time people were coming into the arena. Up in the balcony, the Habs fans that were around me were getting into it pretty good with a bunch of Boston hecklers, but it was all in good nature. It really helped boost the atmosphere.

The great thing was, after Montreal lost, the fans that were sitting in front of me wearing Montreal colors turned around and shook hands with the Bruins fans sitting all around them and everyone wished one another well. I thought it was very classy. I know in a couple of other sections, there were some scuffles that broke out, but over where I was, I was glad to see that the verbal sparring, jeering, and mocking was all kept into context with the sport and not made into something personal.

I just want to say thanks to those who made it out and helped make my first NHL game a great one to remember. I obviously loved what was going on in the ice, but the fan to fan interaction was what made the game really special.
Nice post, it's good to see some pleople can keep things in perspective. I would add this. It takes two to tango; some of your kudos should be reserved for classy Bruins fans who were civil with the visitors.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 08:29 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Thanks for the compliments VeddarRants. Personally I've been to Boston several times to watch sporting events. I've always found the Boston crowd to be classy, whether it be watching hockey, or baseball.

Sure there were some not so classy fans, just like with any fan base. But the majority were great and were fun to talk with.

01-14-2009, 08:59 AM
RealCity

My friend was studying at Harvard a few years ago so I'd drive down the weekends the Habs were in town.

For the most part the Bruins fans were respectful, although we did always sait in the lower bowl and not the upper seats where most of the action takes place.

The first time I went to a game there I almost got into it with some dude, but after the game (we lost) it was all good.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 01-14-2009 at 10:30 AM.
RealCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Gives a big dent into Martin Leclerc stupid comments in the JDM... naming Habs fans as Bougons who don't have any class... in his frustration, he also said all FOUR Habs didn't deserve to be at the All-stars....

99% of Habs fans have class, the 1% get influenced by the montreal sports media... people like Leclerc and Lajoie....

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:52 AM
hckyguy14

Send a message via Yahoo to hckyguy14
It's sad that other fan bases (and this goes for all fan bases in all sports) always judge another fan base by the bad things that happen.

It's always a few idiots from each fan base that ruin it.

I have a rule I follow, when in a heckling match, keep it good natured, humorous, and keep the topic on the teams at hand, not the person as an individual.

hckyguy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:57 AM
suprez

It's just a game.

suprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:03 AM
gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur View Post

no kidding, that's Philly

gee is offline   Reply With Quote