HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Vincent Lecavalier Thread - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Cutter View Post
For those who haven't seen this: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...r-montreal.php

In an interview given last night in L.A., Lecavalier didn't close the door to MTL... saying that he likes the city and has lost of friends and family there.
good slap for those that are saying Lecavalier doesn't want to play with Montréal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
We have a lot of francophones who just love the city......still they don't want to play here. Not closing the door is one thing.....opening it is another.
yeah but this...

Quote:
S'il avait à faire une courte liste des villes où il aimerait jouer, Montréal serait-elle en bonne position? «C'est sûr» a-t-il répondu.

Old
01-13-2009, 09:09 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHabsFan View Post
could you guys imagine if this would happen, which we all know won't. the fernch media will have a field day with asking for the removal of the C from Saks to be given to Vinnie !
Why? When has Vinny ever proven he's a leader? He was stripped of his capaincy the first time and is now captain of a team that is being described as the worst atmosphere in the NHL.

waffledave
Old
01-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffonfire View Post
good slap for those that are saying Lecavalier doesn't want to play with Montréal.
He likes the city.....every player likes the city....Shanahan really liked the city....and so did Brière....and Sundin and Hossa....

Old
01-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Doctor House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
mmmmh... this rumor is like Sundin... the more you talk about it, the less chances it happens
Briere, Hossa, Shanahan, Sundin...

I can't believe no one see's the trend.

Old
01-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Let's face it. If you have a good chance of going there, you're not going to say ''Oh ******* Montreal''.

As long as he's said ''I like Montreal'' from afar, it's still questionnable wether he really wants to play here.

Briere said he was close to signing here...but he didn't. What proves he actually wanted to come here?

Old
01-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor House View Post
Briere, Hossa, Shanahan, Sundin...

I can't believe no one see's the trend.
Some habs fans really have a goldfish type memory

Old
01-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Convenient you only quote one third of my post. The goal is to win the cup, we won't win a cup with that defence, so whats the point?
Gorges has been effective and he helped us but he's very average.

Old
01-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Pascal

count me in on the Artyukin bandwagon. the guy is one of the few players i would actually fear having come down my wing as a defenseman. he's a beast.

Old
01-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Why? When has Vinny ever proven he's a leader? He was stripped of his capaincy the first time and is now captain of a team that is being described as the worst atmosphere in the NHL.
What he accomplished during the Stanley Cup was an incredible showing of leadership by dragging the team on his back. Sure they were good players like Richards for instance. But no amount of Fedetenko and Modin can make me believe they would have gone that far without him. When he fought Iginla it was a turning point in that series. I mean this was Rocket Richard-level legendary stuff, he was the ultimate leader of men when this happened.

Then Feaster screwed everything up and Tortorella exausted him by playing him too much.

Last edited by Kimota: 01-13-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old
01-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Stone Cutter

Quote:
We have a lot of francophones who just love the city......still they don't want to play here. Not closing the door is one thing.....opening it is another.
Let me put it this way... Lecavalier is not in a position to "open" a door here nor should he be opening one. He's still playing for TB. What would he look like if he said, "yeah.... I so want to play for MTL now!!!"? He's also protecting his bacon: "«Les rumeurs, ajoute-t-il, ça fait partie du hockey. J'en ai entendu tout au long de ma carrière... J'aime jouer à Tampa. Je suis un gars loyal.» ----> I'm a loyal guy!

Not closing the door is my paraphrasing here... but if you are reading (if you read French... sorry), you'll find that the text is written in such a way that indicate that he's defenitally interested in MTL.

Brunet is doing a similar interpretation in his last entry: http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/lnh/?p=528

Old
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Its a stupid deal and I don't want it to happen, even if it does mean getting Lecavalier in a Habs jersey. This deal would make it difficult for Montreal to have a contending team for the next 10 years because of Vinny's huge contract.

This deal would seriously effect the Habs depth, it would lose 2 or 3 core players which we would have to replace somehow with less money because of Vinny's contract. The whole thing just complicates things for the Habs and Gainey.

Gainey needs to sign another top 4 defencemen to bolster up the back end and the powerplay and then he needs to re-sign some guys to small contracts to keep the team intact. If something happens and he can't re-sign all of those players, then maybe change the look of the team and make a big splash in the off-season, but not now....we have too good of a team to tear it all apart in the middle of the season.
Lecavalier contract isn't that big...it's about 7.1 or something on the cap hit. Sure he's making 10 million the first few years, but he's only making peanuts at the end, lowering his cap hit. Many teams have at least one 7 million player (and many will soon have one with all the great young players like Kane, Backstrom, etc...).

I don't see his salary as an issue at all. But I'm not too high on the trade because it could be hard to keep our depth because we would be loosing so much.

And salary wise, lets see what we would have next year (per nhlnumbers) :

Lecavalier : 7,7
A. Kostitsyn : 3.25
Laraque : 1.5
S. Kostitsyn : 0.817
Lapierre : 0:688
Pacioretty : 0.875

Markov : 5.750
Hamrlik : 5.500
O'Byrne : 0:942
Weber : 0:875

Price : 2.200
Halak : 0.775

Total : 30.055

Now, lets re-sign a few players...

Komisarek : 5.000
Koivu or Lang : 4.000
Tanguay : 6.000
Latendresse : 1.500
D'Agostini : 0:800
Chipchura : 1.000
Kostopoulos : 1:000

New Total : 49.355

New line-up :

Tanguay - Lecavalier - D'Agostini
Kostitsyn - Koivu - Kostitsyn
Pacioretty - Lapierre - Latendresse
Kostopoulos - Chipchura - Laraque

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - O'Byrne
??? - Weber

Price
Halak

Maxwell, Stewart, Carle waiting in Hamilton

So we would be fine to re-sign our top free agents and still have a good team. The depth wouldn't be as good as it is tho. So yeah, it's a hard situation for Gainey...

Old
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
He likes the city.....every player likes the city....Shanahan really liked the city....and so did Brière....and Sundin and Hossa....
yeah, he stated that he likes the city.

but he also stated that Montréal would be on his "what team I'd like to play with" list.

Old
Pascal

So if we did get Vinny, would it spell the end of Koivu here? I really doubt he'd want to play 2nd fiddle to him, but I could be wrong..

Old
01-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Stone Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
count me in on the Artyukin bandwagon. the guy is one of the few players i would actually fear having come down my wing as a defenseman. he's a beast.
Sorry, bandwagon is full. Find a new one.

Old
01-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Pascal

Quote:
yeah, he stated that he likes the city.

but he also stated that Montréal would be on his "what team I'd like to play with" list.
what do you want him to say to a montreal reporter exactly? "yea I like the city but there's no f'in way i'd play in that pressure cooker. NO WAY! "

Old
01-13-2009, 09:21 AM
AH

For those thinking Tampa should not be getting as much because they are after all dumping salary, the issue with that theory is that the Tampa owners know the rules of the game perfectly well when it comes to dumping salary, which is why they are probably EXCLUSIVELY dealing with Montreal.

They know full well that the maximum package to get for Lecavalier in these circumstances is to continuously bring up Montreal in the equasion. They know that the Habs would get skewered if he were traded for next to nothing and they did not step in.

For once, the Tampa ownership is actually using their brains in this exercise.

The Habs meanwhile are willing to play the same game given that Vinny publicly states he would go / not go to Montreal. If he decides against it and then gets traded elsewhere for peanuts, then the Habs are off the hook.

There is another caveat here that there are NOT many teams that can afford the price being paid by the Habs, in addition to the cap hit, and the $10 million per year due to him for the first 5 years of the contract. These are tough economic times and most of the big money teams are capped out for years to come, something the Habs are not with all their UFA's.

Old
01-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
what do you want him to say to a montreal reporter exactly? "yea I like the city but there's no f'in way i'd play in that pressure cooker. NO WAY! "
well Laraque did say that once, lol.

I don't know, but it adds some oil to the fire.

Old
01-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Stone Cutter

Quote:
He didn't need to answer the question. He could have deflected it entirely by just saying that until he's asked to do so, he will not entertain the idea of such a list... or something of the sort

Old
01-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
yeah but this...
This was given to a Montreal journalist....seems to me know that Vincent doesn't like to be booed in Montreal.....I would be tempted to listen more about him talking to a journalist from another city where he wouldn't have to say nice things about Montreal than talking to a Montreal journalist knowing that's exactly what he wants to hear.

Again, he's not closing the door. He could have said No, I agree, that's what I said before. But I don't see the big opening there 'cause tons of players have already said they liked it here and neither actually came.

Old
01-13-2009, 09:28 AM
vesperal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - O'Byrne
??? - Weber
The ??? is gonna be Brisebois and this defense makes me weep.

Old
01-13-2009, 09:28 AM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post
The Vincent Lecavalier-thread is quite massive and it's really heavy to go through. Could we have this thread to just post links about the saga without posting any own opinions?

It might be an easy way to stay updated without spending hours of searching for the links. If it's a bad idea - delete it!
Yes seriously, what is the point of posting opinions on a message board of all places. How dare we.

Maybe you should go use Google News and type in Lecavalier. You'll get all the most up to date news without any effort.

Old
01-13-2009, 09:30 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
What he accomplished during the Stanley Cup was an incredible showing of leadership by dragging the team on his back. Sure they were good players like Richards for instance. But no amount of Fedetenko and Modin can make me believe they would have gone that far without him. When he fought Iginla it was a turning point in that series. I mean this was Rocket Richard-level legendary stuff, he was the ultimate leader of men when this happened.

Then Feaster screwed everything up and Tortorella exausted him by playing him too much.
That doesn't mean he'd make a great captain.

I mean come on...for years the guy said he didn't want to be here because the pressure is too much.

Old
01-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
For those thinking Tampa should not be getting as much because they are after all dumping salary, the issue with that theory is that the Tampa owners know the rules of the game perfectly well when it comes to dumping salary, which is why they are probably EXCLUSIVELY dealing with Montreal.

They know full well that the maximum package to get for Lecavalier in these circumstances is to continuously bring up Montreal in the equasion. They know that the Habs would get skewered if he were traded for next to nothing and they did not step in.

For once, the Tampa ownership is actually using their brains in this exercise.

The Habs meanwhile are willing to play the same game given that Vinny publicly states he would go / not go to Montreal. If he decides against it and then gets traded elsewhere for peanuts, then the Habs are off the hook.

There is another caveat here that there are NOT many teams that can afford the price being paid by the Habs, in addition to the cap hit, and the $10 million per year due to him for the first 5 years of the contract. These are tough economic times and most of the big money teams are capped out for years to come, something the Habs are not with all their UFA's.
Good point. Or he's using Montreal so, like you said, he knows that Montreal will offer him the best package....so other teams could then go from what Montreal offers to give them a superior one. But I do believe that you're right as far as Habs going to offer them the best in the end.

Old
01-13-2009, 09:32 AM
DougHarvey

I honestly think he will end up in LA. How else to prop up a franchise (think Gretzky).I am willing to bet all vcash on it.

I would also love to see the reaction of the Montreal media if we were sending
Lapierre, Latendresse, Tanguaym Carle and a 1st to Tampa.

Old
01-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
That doesn't mean he'd make a great captain.

I mean come on...for years the guy said he didn't want to be here because the pressure is too much.
He never said that. The guy has too much character to even think like that. It's just that he's not a traitor. He's been faithful to Tampa and I respect that.

Closed Thread