HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Do we root for the most Boring team in the NHL?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-14-2009, 09:22 AM
  #1
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,379
vCash: 500
Do we root for the most Boring team in the NHL?

Maybe Minnesota is a wee bit more boring than the NY Rangers?

I love this team. I went to games in the womb. I'll love them no matter what, but aside form Zherdev this team B O R I N G

I draw some satisfactory excitement from watching prospects make the team and develop. Watching Staal and Dubinsky and Callahan hustle out there, along with Nikos occasional toe drag is keeping me going but really the personality of this team has become Drury, Naslund, and Redden which is not the most extroverted bunch. Even Gomez this year has toned down his shtick.

Has Vanilla ever won the Cup?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:27 AM
  #2
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,361
vCash: 500
Not bored at all.

I learned to have patience years ago and now its paying off

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:28 AM
  #3
BklyNYR4Life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 401
vCash: 500
Losing is what's boring.

Most frustrating team? Of Course!

Boring? No

BklyNYR4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:34 AM
  #4
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,379
vCash: 500
Mmmm ok maybe I'm just missing the spicier personality they had the last few years. Some more scoring wouldn't hurt though

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:34 AM
  #5
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Trust me...the Rangers give plenty excitement...

But its nice to see the little things done. Instead of seeing more goals we see more very good defensive play which i think people tend to look past when watching teams. We are seeing Marc Staal turn into an unbelievable defenseman. Dan Girardi started out as a HFD call up who was undrafted and look now. Prucha is coming back in a big way and Callahan is starting to get his scoring touch. sure it has taken alot of time and patience but I think this team is very exciting to watch....even if it is just for the little things.

Not to mention the amazing saves that Henrik makes.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:37 AM
  #6
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Has Vanilla ever won the Cup?
Sure. Look at the Devils.

Which makes me ask, is Lundqvist that good, or is it the system he plays behind?

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:45 AM
  #7
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,377
vCash: 500
I hate to admit it, but I am bored to tears by this team. I've had partial season ticket plans for the last several years, and I've watched every single game that I couldn't attend (with very few exceptions) for as long as I can remember. I gave up my tickets this year, I am missing games far more often, and in general my connection to the team is nowhere near as passionate as it's been in the past.

I attribute this to a number of things: part getting older (I have a lot more to worry about these days), part disliking the direction of the league in general, and part being excessively bored by this team. I like winning but I hate this style of play, and I would be a hypocrite and a liar if I said anything different as I was firmly in the "Devils are boring" camp forever. That said, I still consider myself to be a die-hard Ranger fan, and would love to see this team win the Cup again in my lifetime.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:45 AM
  #8
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Sure. Look at the Devils.

Which makes me ask, is Lundqvist that good, or is it the system he plays behind?
Mmmm I agree that team was somewhat Vanilla in pesonality but peppered with truely Elite players that was hard not to see as Impressive


Claude could never be accused of being vanilla

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:46 AM
  #9
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
There really should be a limit on how many threads someone can start.

Bored? Don't watch.

Gomez has been whack and crazy all year. How much do you expect from him when he's played like garbage most of the time?

Sean Avery's not here. I wish he were, but he's not. Not sure what you're looking for besides winning hockey games.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:48 AM
  #10
MAYO
Registered User
 
MAYO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MONTREAL
Country: Canada
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
I agree, we aren't boring, just very frustrating at times. But can some one please explain to me the love affair some of you have with Zherdev?!?!? Flashy, yes, but there is more to playing hockey then making a fancy move ever now and then and not getting a shot off, or a pass at that! Again last night night he had Dubi breaking in with speed on a couple of times and Dubi had to ride the line before going off side, and it turned into a turn over, which unfortunately, Zherdev creates more then his fair share of.

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 09:55 AM
  #11
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,871
vCash: 500
Is the team boring? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. There are games that I'm at the edge of my seat, and there are other games that are just torture. That said, if boring is what it takes to be great, I won't mind it. For average though... I'd rather be exciting and average than boring and average. Heck, I'd rather be exciting and suck than be boring and average.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:07 AM
  #12
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I hate to admit it, but I am bored to tears by this team. I've had partial season ticket plans for the last several years, and I've watched every single game that I couldn't attend (with very few exceptions) for as long as I can remember. I gave up my tickets this year, I am missing games far more often, and in general my connection to the team is nowhere near as passionate as it's been in the past.

I attribute this to a number of things: part getting older (I have a lot more to worry about these days), part disliking the direction of the league in general, and part being excessively bored by this team. I like winning but I hate this style of play, and I would be a hypocrite and a liar if I said anything different as I was firmly in the "Devils are boring" camp forever. That said, I still consider myself to be a die-hard Ranger fan, and would love to see this team win the Cup again in my lifetime.
I guess Id say the same. I absolutely bashed the NJD for being boring, while rooting for a VERY VERY frustrating NYR team during those years.

I am happy they are competitive. And we have seen them step up against the better teams and play some inspired hockey, but thats certainly not the M.O. of this team.

Lose Jagr gain Naslund I guess this is what you can expect. Very competent 2 way play but vanilla.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:11 AM
  #13
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Gomez has been whack and crazy all year. How much do you expect from him when he's played like garbage most of the time?
I expect a more consistent level of play on the ice. He more than any other Ranger seems to have that extra gear he chooses to kick in some nights and to forget about the rest of the time.

As for personality, Gomez is perhaps the most colorful personality on the team right now.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:16 AM
  #14
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,436
vCash: 500
That's what i don't understand about the complaints about Gomez....Does anybody understand this?

The other thing is this year Gomez is facing the other teams top defensive pairs checking players...last year he wasn't.....Jagrs line was...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:17 AM
  #15
ThirdEye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 11,666
vCash: 500
If they actually did something good on most nights I might be able to take it, but they don't. The games that we have won, 90% of them have been won because of Lundqvist. When was the last time Lundqvist was playing mediocre that we actually won. Same thing with Valliquette who has played really well

Some great system they play in... one that allows 13 SH goals before the all-star break and one that just one or two weeks ago was allowing several breakaways and 30-40 shots per game.

It has been better the last few games, but overall I believe the team needs a new "system"

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:22 AM
  #16
Mr Bojanglez
Registered User
 
Mr Bojanglez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: From Jersey w/ Love
Country: United States
Posts: 10,878
vCash: 500
i almost feel like I shouldn't defend this team... just because of all the backlash the devil fans have had to deal with.

But low-scoring games can be exceptionally exciting. You have a good goalie, and he can be exciting. Its not all about goals in hockey... just like watching a ridiculous pitcher in baseball can be fun

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:22 AM
  #17
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
If they actually did something good on most nights I might be able to take it, but they don't. The games that we have won, 90% of them have been won because of Lundqvist. When was the last time Lundqvist was playing mediocre that we actually won. Same thing with Valliquette who has played really well

Some great system they play in... one that allows 13 SH goals before the all-star break and one that just one or two weeks ago was allowing several breakaways and 30-40 shots per game.

It has been better the last few games, but overall I believe the team needs a new "system"
Do the Rangers have the talent for a new system?

nope...

IS the 13 shorthanded goals a terrible stat?

yup..

does it mean anything?

not really....

When was the last time ANY teams goaltender played mediocre and won?

it doesn't happen often...it doesnt' happen on teams that can't score...that isn't a system problem...do you think that magically a new coach and system will make guys who can't finish all of a sudden finish?

this fire Renney thing is dumb...it's not gonna happen.....it's like the devils won a cup doing it a few years ago and now the rangers should do it because it might work...forgetting the 1000 other times in hockey it hasn't worked...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:23 AM
  #18
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,360
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Last year he had 70 points. Am I missing something?
Sorry. I misread it.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:31 AM
  #19
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
i almost feel like I shouldn't defend this team... just because of all the backlash the devil fans have had to deal with.

But low-scoring games can be exceptionally exciting. You have a good goalie, and he can be exciting. Its not all about goals in hockey... just like watching a ridiculous pitcher in baseball can be fun
"Can be" is the key phrase here. My assessment has literally nothing to do with scoring. In fact, I would argue that a great save is far more exciting than a goal. To me, good, exciting hockey is a game with flow, a game where the skill of the individuals is allowed to shine through in the creation of scoring chances on both ends of the rink. The tick-tacky penalty calling in the nu-NHL has seriously hampered the flow of the game, and the Rangers passive defense severely limites scoring chances (in both directions) when it is working correctly. It wins, but it's boring. No two ways about it really.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:33 AM
  #20
Jim Ramsay
Registered User
 
Jim Ramsay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Warwick, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 481
vCash: 500
Yes, this is one of the most boring Ranger teams that I have seen in the past few years....Offensively there just isn't any creativity, You don't see any great passing in the offensive zone and not many creative goals. On the flip side I realize that this team doesn't have the ability to be creative. The roster doesn't really contain those kind of players besides Zherdev, Gomez (even though I don't think he does much except skate fast) and maybe Naslund....Although after last nights game I saw some flashes of Dubinsky gaining confidence and he creates a lot in the zone when he gets going.


I believe the fact that this team can only win games 2-1 or 1-0, but I think if Lundqvist wasn't in goal they would be getting exposed every game.....This so called "system" is a joke, it seems like the Rangers are caught on many odd man rushes every game and they have also given up 13 SH goals.......I don't know why we keep getting sold this idea by Renney and Sam and Joe that this team is a defensive team, but it would also be hard for them to come out and say "Well Thank god Henrik is there to bail out this team on so many nights"

Jim Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:33 AM
  #21
ThirdEye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 11,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Do the Rangers have the talent for a new system?

nope...

IS the 13 shorthanded goals a terrible stat?

yup..

does it mean anything?

not really....

When was the last time ANY teams goaltender played mediocre and won?

it doesn't happen often...it doesnt' happen on teams that can't score...that isn't a system problem...do you think that magically a new coach and system will make guys who can't finish all of a sudden finish?

this fire Renney thing is dumb...it's not gonna happen.....it's like the devils won a cup doing it a few years ago and now the rangers should do it because it might work...forgetting the 1000 other times in hockey it hasn't worked...
Of course the shorthanded goals means something... it means we have the worst PP in the league despite having decent players to play it. At the least Pearn should be fired. Are they waiting until it goes into single digits or something? Clearly it ain't going to fix itself and will be the teams Achilles' heel for a long time

On the system - you might be right. No one can know for sure. It's just really frustrating watching this team on most nights and one can't help but wonder whether it has to be like this.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:33 AM
  #22
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,514
vCash: 500
A 2-1 game isn't inherently boring. IMO it's only boring if both teams are trapping like there's no tomorrow. A punch-counterpunch type of game where teams are disrupting each other and coming right back to shove the puck in their faces can be an exciting game. Keep in mind that I'm not attributing either or these playing styles to this team, because neither is entirely accurate.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
If they actually did something good on most nights I might be able to take it, but they don't. The games that we have won, 90% of them have been won because of Lundqvist. When was the last time Lundqvist was playing mediocre that we actually won. Same thing with Valliquette who has played really well

Some great system they play in... one that allows 13 SH goals before the all-star break and one that just one or two weeks ago was allowing several breakaways and 30-40 shots per game.

It has been better the last few games, but overall I believe the team needs a new "system"
This.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:46 AM
  #23
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Of course the shorthanded goals means something... it means we have the worst PP in the league despite having decent players to play it. At the least Pearn should be fired. Are they waiting until it goes into single digits or something? Clearly it ain't going to fix itself and will be the teams Achilles' heel for a long time

On the system - you might be right. No one can know for sure. It's just really frustrating watching this team on most nights and one can't help but wonder whether it has to be like this.
Don't the 96 Avs on the record for most shorthanded goals against? How much did it hurt them?

Have the shorthanded goals REALLY hurt the team that much? It's not like the team is giving up that many goals on the pk and at even strength......It's a strange stat but it's not like this team is filled with defensive leaks....the pp sucks but it sucks because it doesn't score that often..(although it's picked up the last two weeks or so)

If Pearn gets fired couldn't that actually hurt the team? I mean are we going to sit here and give Pearn all the blame for the PP and NONE of the credit for the PK?

This team wins more then they lose....for years and i mean years Rangers fans would cry about how this team doesnt' have a system..."look at the devils" was the cry on this board...."Sather won with wide-open hockey and that's the system this team is going to play forever" was written and read on here daily....now the team has a system and Rangers fans want the Run and Gun teams back...you know the teams that didn't come close to the playoffs.....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:46 AM
  #24
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
At least if we were broing like the Devils we would be winninh & on our way to a SC.

No, we just suck.
Poorly Constructed
Poorly Coached
Poorly led

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 10:50 AM
  #25
MAYO
Registered User
 
MAYO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MONTREAL
Country: Canada
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
I don't mind having to play a certain system to get the job done due to a certain weakness roster wise, heck, a lot of teams in the past had to play their own systems to be succesful, but come on, if there was a team that we should have come out of the gates and exploite their third goalie for more then 2 goals was last night. I keep waiting for a two, three game string when we can put up more then 2 goals per night!!

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.