HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blueshirts, Zherdev Talk New Contract

Old
01-13-2009, 11:32 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
ok. but look at the years before that. he went from 26 down to 17. that's why he was kept at only $4mil. But remember that Staal just got a $4mil deal and he just had 42 pts and 28 pts. That's POINTS. he just set this years RFA mark. Staals asinine deal is really going to screw up the market for RFA's. Staal is still only on a pace for 45 pts. But agents will use his deal (not Boyes') to make their case.
Wow, so in a season he went down to 17, which is more goals than Scott Gomez will probably score this year, and he apparently gets paid more than 7 million a year to take several hundred shots a season (sorry, I couldn't resist ).

But he bounced back up to 43.

Staal is a very high draft pick who as a rookie scored 29 goals and has been playing on a team where he doesn't really fit in all that well, a team where he may be being held back by better players. I do think he'll never be as good as his pick was, but he's going to be a good player.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Just wondering...

If Sather low balls Zherdev and his agent, and they decide to test the market and accept an offer sheet. What kind of compensation does everyone think he would fetch in return? How is that decided? Is there an exact science, or does the league get involved to evaluate his talent, and worth?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Levitate

Depends on what the offer sheet is. I think the exact numbers are determined by the current cap, but I think if someone offered him $5 mill, the Rangers get at least one first round pick (and one 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc). Not sure where the line is that gets the Rangers 4 first round picks as compensation.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Hockey2000nyr

Quote:
The current expected RFA compensation table for 2008-09 is:

Amount
Compensation Due

$863,156 or less
None

$863,156 - $1,307,811
3rd round pick

$1,307,811 - $2,615,623
2nd round pick

$2,615,623 - $3,923,434
1st and 3rd round pick

$3,923,434 - $5,231,246
1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick

$5,231,246 - $6,539,061
Two 1st's, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick

$6,539,061 or more
Four 1st round picks
http://www.nhlscap.com/faq.htm

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:55 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey2000nyr View Post
Levels vary with the cap. The original comp #s in the first year of the CBA capped out at 4 #1s at an offer averaging $5MM per year, then went up in line with the increases in the cap. So, the levels when someone might make an offer to Zherdev this summer will be dependant on the new cap number.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Hockey2000nyr

yea i know, this is the cap levels for the 2008-2009 season, so i would say that you can make a good judgement on what ud get in return if that was to happen, highly doubt it though.

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:00 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Wow, so in a season he went down to 17, which is more goals than Scott Gomez will probably score this year, and he apparently gets paid more than 7 million a year to take several hundred shots a season (sorry, I couldn't resist ).

But he bounced back up to 43.

Staal is a very high draft pick who as a rookie scored 29 goals and has been playing on a team where he doesn't really fit in all that well, a team where he may be being held back by better players. I do think he'll never be as good as his pick was, but he's going to be a good player.
so do you not think Zherdev is going to be good? Zherdev played for teams that he didn't fit in well either, for a coach he didn't like to play for and still put up decent seasons. So if Staal is going to get $4 mil than Zherdev will definately get over $4mil.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:03 PM
ecemleafs

i doubt he would get 4m in this market as i dont see teams wanting to give up a 1st 2nd and 3rd round pick to get him. i see a team offering max salary that would only give up a 1st and 3rd and then i think we will match if he gets to FA.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:15 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
i doubt he would get 4m in this market as i dont see teams wanting to give up a 1st 2nd and 3rd round pick to get him. i see a team offering max salary that would only give up a 1st and 3rd and then i think we will match if he gets to FA.
I think anywhere under 5M, teams will line up for this guy. So if you can get him for under 5, when you pay 7+ for Drumez.. I think it would be a big coup for the Rangers. And it sounds like it almost might be possible.

The Caps are preparing to pay Semin, who is in many ways a similar player with better sniping ability. I think for us 6.5M will be a successful deal, even though Semin is best buddies with AO and all..

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:17 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
I think anywhere under 5M, teams will line up for this guy. So if you can get him for under 5, when you pay 7+ for Drumez.. I think it would be a big coup for the Rangers. And it sounds like it almost might be possible.

The Caps are preparing to pay Semin, who is in many ways a similar player with better sniping ability. I think for us 6.5M will be a successful deal, even though Semin is best buddies with AO and all..
6.5 and i let him go. either 2 firsts 2nd and 3rd or 4 firsts.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:39 PM
Chimp

The real problem is Gomez and Drury. Jagr essentially said "why should I earn less when I'm a better player than they are?"

And why wouldn't Zherdev think the same? If he's a better player than they are, why should they earn alot more? Their $7 million contracts are horrible in so many ways.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:43 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
The real problem is Gomez and Drury. Jagr essentially said "why should I earn less when I'm a better player than they are?"

And why wouldn't Zherdev think the same? If he's a better player than they are, why should they earn alot more? Their $7 million contracts are horrible in so many ways.
Zherdev is not a UFA and I doubt we will see any offer sheets this off season (let alone to Zherdev) so unless he wants to run to Russia like Jagr, assuming they will even be able to pay him, he doesn't have much leverage.

Gomez and Drury's contracts are irrelevant when discussing Zherdev's contract. The only place they are not is on this board.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:50 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post

Because he's an RFA - the tradeoff is getting your money (and your guaranteed long-term, big-money contract, which is not an insignificant thing when one knee-on-knee hit can end a career) earlier vs. getting more money. DruMez didn't get their $$$ until they hit the open market.

Zherdev can take his chances, accept say a $2.5-3MM one year contract and HOPE that he'll get $7MM a year next year (and a lot can change in a year). Or he could lock in to, say, a guaranteed $4.5MM per year 5 year contract right now.

Old
01-13-2009, 12:50 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
The only way this is true is if Sather signs Zherdev to some ridiculous amount. If it's reasonable, then Sather should sign him sooner rather than later.
My point is one might not know what is reasonable until this summer.

Quote:
I also don't think that the Rangers traded for Zherdev just to let him walk after 1 season, or to view him as expendable after 1 season. They want to keep him, no doubt.
Nobody is saying let him walk.

Quote:
I think if they could get him between $4-5 mill then that's fine. He's making $3.25 now so he's going to want a raise of some sort, and if he finishes with his highest career point totals, he has a case for a decent raise at least.
Again, my point is what he wants and what the market dictates (between a bad economy and a strong FA crop of forwards) might not even up. And if Sather can save some bucks on a deal by waiting until the summer, that makes sense.

01-13-2009, 12:57 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
My point is one might not know what is reasonable until this summer.

Nobody is saying let him walk.

Again, my point is what he wants and what the market dictates (between a bad economy and a strong FA crop of forwards) might not even up. And if Sather can save some bucks on a deal by waiting until the summer, that makes sense.
He can also point to these points during negotiations right now - the point is to get him locked up at a reasonable figure.

I wouldn't wait to the very last minute to try to wring an extra couple hundred thou of savings out of him - conditions could always go the other way. If both parties want to come together and can agree on reasonable terms, do it.

Old
01-13-2009, 01:05 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

I'd like a 5-year, $21 million deal. Paying out $5.0, $5.0, $4.0, $4.0, $3.0 over the course of the contract. $4.2 million cap hit.

Although I think it's inevitable he gets more.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:13 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanktasticVoyage35 View Post
I'd like a 5-year, $21 million deal. Paying out $5.0, $5.0, $4.0, $4.0, $3.0 over the course of the contract. $4.2 million cap hit.

Although I think it's inevitable he gets more.
Despite my earlier example, I actually think that what'll be different is the length - I see something like a 3 year, $12.75MM deal. Keeps the number low(er), but lets him get to UFA sooner.

Old
01-13-2009, 01:38 PM
NYROrtsFan

This would be great.

Zherdev has busted his ass since he's been here and is easily our best offensive player. Works hard on defense too.

We have to get Zherdev a linemate though... Gomez and Drury play the styles of games that don't fit Zherdev perfectly. Zherdev would be a point per game player with Jagr. They would have been amazing together.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:48 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
He can also point to these points during negotiations right now - the point is to get him locked up at a reasonable figure.

I wouldn't wait to the very last minute to try to wring an extra couple hundred thou of savings out of him - conditions could always go the other way. If both parties want to come together and can agree on reasonable terms, do it.
Nobody's talking about waiting to the last second. Againt I don't think we know what a reasonable figure is right now. And what if a couple of hundred of thousand is actually a million?

This doesn't have to get done now.

Personally, I still want to see more from him.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 02:02 PM
NYR Viper

I hope sather signs this guy to a long contract. 5 years 26.25 million. 5.25/year. He becomes a UFA at age 29.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 02:03 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Nobody's talking about waiting to the last second. Againt I don't think we know what a reasonable figure is right now. And what if a couple of hundred of thousand is actually a million?

Depends on what they're discussing. If it's around $3.75MM per, you jump on it. If Zherdev's camp is up near $5.5MM per, you probably do want to see more before signing.

And don't forget that this works both ways - if he goes on a goal a game spree, the price goes up.

Old
01-13-2009, 02:05 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Depends on what they're discussing. If it's around $3.75MM per, you jump on it. If Zherdev's camp is up near $5.5MM per, you probably do want to see more before signing.

And don't forget that this works both ways - if he goes on a goal a game spree, the price goes up.
Still waiting.

Old
01-13-2009, 02:17 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:

He's the leading scorer(by 9 points) playing on a team with a terrible offensive system, while not even getting 17 minutes of ice time....you can't really ask that much more of him.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Levitate

Yeah I'm not entirely sure why people keep wanting more and more out of this guy. Not everyone has to be a superstar in order to be a valuable player. Just as long as he doesn't want superstar type money.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 02:20 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
He's the leading scorer(by 9 points) playing on a team with a terrible offensive system, while not even getting 17 minutes of ice time....you can't really ask that much more of him.
Sure I can. This guy is as talented as anyone in the league.

And he has as many goals as that cursed Chris Drury and the offensive wizard Ryan Callahan.