Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rask up to the task

Old
01-12-2009, 06:42 AM
Alan Ryan

vCash: 500
Rask up to the task

Good article by Fluto Shinazawa in the Globe regarding Tuukka Rask. Fluto looks at the difference from last year to this season for Rask, and speculates about his readiness to move up to Boston if GM Chiarelli opts to trade one of Thomas or Fernandez before the deadline.

Worth reading: http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 06:47 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Good article by Fluto Shinazawa in the Globe regarding Tuukka Rask. Fluto looks at the difference from last year to this season for Rask, and speculates about his readiness to move up to Boston if GM Chiarelli opts to trade one of Thomas or Fernandez before the deadline.

Worth reading: http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/
Not sure I agree with the notion to trade either TT or MF at this point, but it is good to know Rask is coming along well.

Not sure who would be in the market for MF aside from Detroit and I doubt they would give up a guy like Kronwall who we would certainly want in return. Any other good teams looking for a goalie and have a top 4 D ready to ship back??

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 06:55 AM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Not sure I agree with the notion to trade either TT or MF at this point, but it is good to know Rask is coming along well.

Not sure who would be in the market for MF aside from Detroit and I doubt they would give up a guy like Kronwall who we would certainly want in return. Any other good teams looking for a goalie and have a top 4 D ready to ship back??
I agree Bru. TT and MF are a key element of a playoff campaign.

However, it is tempting to contemplate a legitimate top 4 defenseman added to the roster rather than lose one of the goalies to free agency. It will be most interesting to see how this plays out in the next 6 weeks.

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 07:55 AM
flannelman
Regular Season Mode.

vCash: 920
I'm in the camp that says "I'd rather lose one this off-season then go into the PO's with one 1a tender and a rookie netminder to back him up..."

that's just me, though.

flannelman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 08:01 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

It would be like Montreal did last year with huet.I have no problem with doing that if the return is good and if the goalie that stays is the goalie that the Bruins want back next year.I know they are both playing well but I think it's important that one of them goes in the playoffs with confidence as the #1 goaltender

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 08:13 AM
Choate51

Why fix something that is NOT broken? I know that we will lose TT or MF at the end of the season but I would like to have the extra insurance of an excellent netminder as a backup just incase one of them gets injured or has a really bad streak of games. I dont want to be in the first round of the playoff and have TT or MF go down with something and have a rookie take his place. Rask might be the future, but he is not the present.

Choate51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Kinda hard to say whether or not its safe to trade an asset when you haven't seen the kid play.

I'm going against the grain, for the pure enjoyment of it, and saying I think Rask could very well take the bull by the horns and make one of our two goalies expendable.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Kosikarzzz

Send a message via MSN to Kosikarzzz Send a message via Skype™ to Kosikarzzz
Well prepare yourselves because its Thomas who would be the one going.

What do you think we could get for him? His value couldn't be any higher.

Kosikarzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 09:14 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosikarzzz View Post

Not gonna happen. Manny hasn't proven he can stay healthy enough to backstop the team the rest of the way and Rask is an unknown at this level.

No way they risk the season they are having. If one goes it will be Manny.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:

More or less for either goalie a 2nd round pick or maybe a veteran becoming an UFA at season end just like either goalie

Bruinsfan_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Salem13

Quote:

It is the smarter move for shoppers and the shop, an absolute PR nightmare though.

Salem13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 09:38 AM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:

Except that they're already in negotiations with Thomas...

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Kosikarzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
Maybe??

Manny has already made some money and would most likely be happy to stay put instead of uprooting his family again

I am not saying Timmy will definaltey be gone but if you think about it he problably cares more about the $ than where he is playing. He is an older guy and needs that security and I don't blame him one bit.

I say Thomas tests the market and Manny stays for less to retire a Bruin.

Just my opinion with a twist. Manny/Rask next year. Which isn't so bad...but it will be hard to see Thomas go because he has grown on me because he is such a good story and a likable guy.

So....if this was the case...could/should they trade Thomas while his stock is higher then ever.

Old
01-12-2009, 11:40 AM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
While I don't think this is what happened, for all we know Thomas' agent said that they didn't want a contract shorter than X years or for less than Y dollars, or that they didn't want to sign anything until the season is over. Just because they talked contract doesn't mean that Thomas is guaranteed to stay in town. Negotiations sometimes break down or go, um, not-so-well.

Having said that: When Chia was on EEI with Haggs, he mentioned how happy he was with the goaltending tandem as it was ... I think he'd have to be blown away with an offer to trade either guy right now.

And for me, as a fan, the offer would have to be out-****ing-standing for me to comprehend making the deal. I want to see this team go into the playoffs with two #1 goalies, even if one of them rarely touches the ice. Just having the veteran (and proven) presence on the bench in the off-chance of injury or slump is reassuring, and would help the team advance.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 11:41 AM
stick9

Quote:
Maybe??

Manny has already made some money and would most likely be happy to stay put instead of uprooting his family again

I am not saying Timmy will definaltey be gone but if you think about it he problably cares more about the $ than where he is playing. He is an older guy and needs that security and I don't blame him one bit.

I say Thomas tests the market and Manny stays for less to retire a Bruin.

Just my opinion with a twist. Manny/Rask next year. Which isn't so bad...but it will be hard to see Thomas go because he has grown on me because he is such a good story and a likable guy.

So....if this was the case...could/should they trade Thomas while his stock is higher then ever.
If PC where to trade Thomas and Manny faltered in the playoffs, or got....again throwing Rask into the fire. PC would be the one taking the fall. I don't think he's gonna risk his job or the team success.

Old
01-12-2009, 12:08 PM
BrewinBruin
Believability

Interesting that Haggs today notes that:
"For what it’s worth, Fernandez’s nameplate was missing from its usual location within the Ristuccia Arena dressing room — which should send Bruins conspiracy theorists into orbit."
Trade coming?

BrewinBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:12 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewinBruin View Post
"For what it’s worth, Fernandez’s nameplate was missing from its usual location within the Ristuccia Arena dressing room — which should send Bruins conspiracy theorists into orbit."
Trade coming?
I called trade when I heard Manny was out for undisclosed reasons. If he's hurt, he's hurt it's hockey and he's Manny it's bound to happen. Coming out and saying he's not in the line up for undisclosed reason and not back two days with no report of any sort of injury.... Smells fishy to me.

Of course we'll hear how there is only limited locker space and Regan's gear had to go some where.

Old
01-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
I called trade when I heard Manny was out for undisclosed reasons. If he's hurt, he's hurt it's hockey and he's Manny it's bound to happen. Coming out and saying he's not in the line up for undisclosed reason and not back two days with no report of any sort of injury.... Smells fishy to me.

Of course we'll hear how there is only limited locker space and Regan's gear had to go some where.
Hah, alright, let's quash that one right now.

Can anyone tell me for sure if there is limited locker space there?

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:29 PM
flannelman
Regular Season Mode.

vCash: 920
Quote:
Trade coming?
Haggs has a lot of his 401K invested into Pacemakers.

flannelman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:32 PM
patty59

Netminder Manny Fernandez remained out of uniform with what head coach Claude Julien referrred to as a ''minor issue.''

''We thought it could be resolved by today, but it wasn't,'' said Julien, who had Tuukka Rask filling Fernandez' backup role on Saturday.

When asked if that meant the goalie was injured, Julien answered in the affirmative.

As the coach's media session broke up, and reporters lightheartedly talked about clarifying the ''minor thing'', Julien said, ''I'm trying to stickhandle here, guys, and I am not good at it.''

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...s/bruins_blog/

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:33 PM
8thRoundPick

Quote:
Trade coming?
Interesting. On one hand, you have a hungry rookie goaltender, that has shown flashes of superstar talent. In the other hand, a goalie tandem that has proven to be the best 1-2 combo in the league.

Regardless of what happens, I have trust in PC to keep this a cup contending team.

8thRoundPick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Kosikarzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergy4ever View Post
Interesting. On one hand, you have a hungry rookie goaltender, that has shown flashes of superstar talent. In the other hand, a goalie tandem that has proven to be the best 1-2 combo in the league.

Regardless of what happens, I have trust in PC to keep this a cup contending team.
I agree 100%. I am just stuck on wether or not to pull the trigger or let ride what we have (in net) into the playoffs.

Either way. Next years goaltending duo will be minus 1 of Manny or Timmay. My guess is Timmay has priced his way out of the Bruins.

Old
01-12-2009, 12:53 PM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

I think Manny being out now is indeed injury related and has nothing to do with a trade, but I do think there is a strong, strong possibility he is moved prior to the deadline for that, hopefully young, top 4 puck moving Dman.

Tuukka is playing well this year... the save percentage is up from last year and thats definitely a positive. Hes had some clunkers, but everyone has some clunkers.

I am comfortable with him backing up Timmy, and stepping in and playing and doing well and hey, maybe even grabbing the #1 just like Price did last year.

If Chia can get an asset going forward for Manny instead of losing him for nothing he will definitely do it because I think he has the confidence in Rask. The kids our future in net, so sooner or later we gotta get him up for good.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to say the least. For right now though I'm just gonna look forward to tomorrow.

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2009, 01:00 PM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

Norwood just posted this in the Bergie thread.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/bos090112.html

Most likely just putting pieces together, but you never know.

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote