HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Get to Know Your Fellow Canes Fans - PART II

Old
02-02-2012, 12:30 PM
mitch27

vCash: 500
Hey guys. I'm first and foremost a Coyotes fan but I got a job writing about the Hurricanes so I'll be spending more time in these parts now. I'm looking forward to following this team and hopefully a quick rebuild can turn this franchise around and put them back in the playoffs!

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:45 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

A Canadian Coyotes fan in Hamilton willingly writing about a team that gets next to no coverage north of the border? mind=blown

Seriously though, who do you write for and welcome to our haunt here.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:09 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
A Canadian Coyotes fan in Hamilton willingly writing about a team that gets next to no coverage north of the border? mind=blown

Seriously though, who do you write for and welcome to our haunt here.
this post is amazing. I don't even want them relocated to Canada if you can believe that! I was even rooting for the Canes in the SCF in 06. I have a soft spot for the "non-traditional" markets. Everyone deserves to enjoy this beautiful game, not just Canadians.

I don't mean to make this an advertisement but since you asked, I just started with The Hockey Writers.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 01:00 PM
My Little Joni
Rookie User

What's up guys

Where You're From: Kitchener, Ontario
Nationality: Canadian
Job: Student
What brought you to HF Boards: I needed a place to learn about the NHL and 'Canes nation.
How you became a hockey fan: Grew up close to the Aud in Kitchener where the Rangers play. Watched them on their Memorial Cup run in '03 and ever since.
How you became a Canes fan:
A prof asked me if my favourite team is the Leafs or Habs, and I responded with neither. After an awkward silence, the First team that came to my head was Carolina (this was about 4 and 1/2 weeks ago). He gave me a puzzled look and moved on. From that point on, my heart lies in 'Canes nation baby.
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Joni Pitkanen, the temperate climate, a menacing team name
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Joni Pitkanen, Jeff Skinner, Ryan Murphy
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): John LeClair, Mike Richards, Adam Deadmarsh
Favorite TV Show(s): Sons of Anarchy
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Kevin Dineen Whalers, Joni Pitkanen Canes Red, Jeff Skinner Red (just ordered it)
Anything Else: I am extremely motivated to learn more about the NHL than my roommates. I also need sports to watch when the NFL is in its off season and feel like its time to be more Canadian and embrace the NHL.

I also would love if you guys could help me with Sens trash talk, as my room mates are die hard fans of Ottawa.

Keep the 'Canes flag flying high! Talk to you soon.

My Little Joni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Good user name.

02-21-2012, 01:17 PM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Little Joni View Post
I also would love if you guys could help me with Sens trash talk, as my room mates are die hard fans of Ottawa.
Just buy something with Heatley's name on it, like a shirt or something, and you should have this covered. Whenever they start to talk about the Sens, walk away and put on that shirt and walk back.

bilpeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Little Joni View Post
What's up guys

Where You're From: Kitchener, Ontario
Nationality: Canadian
What brought you to HF Boards: I needed a place to learn about the NHL and 'Canes nation.
How you became a hockey fan: Grew up close to the Aud in Kitchener where the Rangers play. Watched them on their Memorial Cup run in '03 and ever since.
How you became a Canes fan:
A prof asked me if my favourite team is the Leafs or Habs, and I responded with neither. After an awkward silence, the First team that came to my head was Carolina (this was about 4 and 1/2 weeks ago). He gave me a puzzled look and moved on. From that point on, my heart lies in 'Canes nation baby.
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Joni Pitkanen, the temperate climate, a menacing team name
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Joni Pitkanen, Jeff Skinner, Ryan Murphy
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): John LeClair, Mike Richards, Adam Deadmarsh
Favorite TV Show(s): Sons of Anarchy
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: Kevin Dineen Whalers, Joni Pitkanen Canes Red, Jeff Skinner Red (just ordered it)
Anything Else: I am extremely motivated to learn more about the NHL than my roommates. I also need sports to watch when the NFL is in its off season and feel like its time to be more Canadian and embrace the NHL.

Keep the 'Canes flag flying high! Talk to you soon.
That is the greatest story of all-time.

One question, how do you already have 3 Canes jerseys if you became a fan 4 and a half weeks ago?

Either way, if you want to learn about Canes hockey, this is the WRONG PLACE. Go to Facebook for that. Use these boards to learn more about the meth market in Raleigh and MeleeRay's Effective Trolling seminars.

JK welcome, My Little Joni's a great username and hopefully you'll learn enough to make your friends do something stupid (I assume there's a bet involved).

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 01:46 PM
My Little Joni
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
That is the greatest story of all-time.

One question, how do you already have 3 Canes jerseys if you became a fan 4 and a half weeks ago?

Either way, if you want to learn about Canes hockey, this is the WRONG PLACE. Go to Facebook for that. Use these boards to learn more about the meth market in Raleigh and MeleeRay's Effective Trolling seminars.

JK welcome, My Little Joni's a great username and hopefully you'll learn enough to make your friends do something stupid (I assume there's a bet involved).
Haha ordered the Dineen one right away, needed a piece of franchise history. Also needed enough things to wear to the Canes - Sens game in early April. Could be a crucial game if we gain more on the Panthers in the upcoming weeks!

My Little Joni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:19 PM
normalpsychology

vCash: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
Hey guys. I'm first and foremost a Coyotes fan but I got a job writing about the Hurricanes so I'll be spending more time in these parts now. I'm looking forward to following this team and hopefully a quick rebuild can turn this franchise around and put them back in the playoffs!

Hello,
My name is MeleeRay. If you ever need a direct source for a quote from a fan for one of your articles please PM me. I have been a fan of this team since Friday Nov 13, 2009 and I have an extremely high hockey IQ (Everything from on the ice play to around the ice (I can discuss organizational finances in addition to other aspects of 'The Business of Hockey' as it is called)). I can give you quotes ranging from your basic fan quote on any number of topics to things more sensationalist in nature - you just have to let me know what you need. I look forward to hearing from you and exploring this opportunity further.
Best Regards,
MeleeRay

Last edited by normalpsychology: 02-21-2012 at 03:46 PM.
normalpsychology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Hello My little Joni,

Disregard anything Meleeray posts, at all times.

All the best, LK

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:30 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

LOL we know have two Members with the same name.

The other one is MyLittleJoni

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 03:47 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeleeRay View Post
Hello,
My name is MeleeRay. If you ever need a direct source for a quote from a fan for one of your articles please PM me. I have been a fan of this team since Friday Nov 13, 2009 and I have an extremely high hockey IQ (Everything from on the ice play to around the ice (I can discuss organizational finances in addition to other aspects of 'The Business of Hockey' as it is called)). I can give you quotes ranging from your basic fan quote on any number of topics to things more sensationalist in nature - you just have to let me know what you need. I look forward to hearing from you and exploring this opportunity further.
Best Regards,
MeleeRay
So did I get hired?

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:09 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

My first name is not Paul

Hello. Long time reader (3-4 years maybe? more? I can't remember). First time poster as of today. The Ruutu contract photo tweet begged for Trollface, and I couldn't resist any longer.

Name: It's not really Paul
Sex: Male
Where You're From: South Dakota (!)
Where You Live Now: Raleigh, NC
Mode of Transportation: An automobile of Ford construction
Job: Finance
What brought you to HF Boards: I enjoy reading and talking about hockey.
How you became a hockey fan: The Quebec Nordiques moving to Colorado to become the Avalanche, and according to television networks they became my "local" team. Before then my exposure was largely just to the Cup playoffs, unfortunately. I grew up too far south of MN/ND to participate in the hockey madness.
How you became a Canes fan: Easy answer: largely marriage. My wife has lived in Raleigh since 2005, and has been a season ticket holder for most of those years. Now we both have season tickets, enjoying them until we have kids. She's a Canes fan in large part because when she was growing up outside of Hartford, CT, her family had Whalers season tickets.
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: Isn't it arguable that we have better access to meth, and our dreams are of majestic, fish filled Ontario waters when we sleep? In all seriousness, I started following the Canes closer, adopting them in hopes they would upset the Detroit Red Wings in the Finals.
Favorite Cane's Player(s): I like most of them. I'm actually a big fan of Jay Harrison's. Long story short, I've had a couple of interesting conversations with him. Nice guy, and a bit off the wall.
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Patrick Kane, Joe Sakic, Adam Foote, Mark Messier
Other Sports You Like: I enjoy all of the popular sports that involve a ball and a method of keeping score.
College Attended/Attending: Ready for this? Chadron State College. We're notable for producing NFL mini-RB Danny Woodhead. Once upon a time he lived a block up the street from me.
Favorite Book(s): This question is too hard to answer. Breakfast of Champions? Catcher in the Rye? Stranger in a Strange Land? Dune? Bernstein's "Four Pillars of Investing?"
Favorite Food(s): Any pasta in a sauce. Mussels added are a nice touch.
Favorite TV Show(s): The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, The Sopranos, Firefly, Seinfeld, The Simpsons, Mad Men.

The only Canes sweater I have in my rotation is an Eric Staal authentic home red. My wife keeps asking me if I want another one, but I have no idea who it would be. Before Mo was shown the door, I probably would have only bought a Stormy #97.

Anything else: I've been on the Internets for a long time, since before it was taken over by Overly Earnest people who ban you as soon as the roflcopter launches a few OMG rockets. I can remember good old days where you could enjoy maximum lulz and witty, informed banter without people getting severely chapped about it. Today there is much bawling on forums, and far too many psychotic editors in the comments section of popular websites. What I like about HF Boards (and especially the Canes subforum) is that it reminds me almost exactly of days gone by, and how much fun those days were.

Thanks.

PaulProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulProteus View Post

Anything else: I've been on the Internets for a long time, since before it was taken over by Overly Earnest people who ban you as soon as the roflcopter launches a few OMG rockets. I can remember good old days where you could enjoy maximum lulz and witty, informed banter without people getting severely chapped about it. Today there is much bawling on forums, and far too many psychotic editors in the comments section of popular websites. What I like about HF Boards (and especially the Canes subforum) is that it reminds me almost exactly of days gone by, and how much fun those days were.

Thanks.
....So you were banned by the Official Forum, eh?

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 10:05 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tripps View Post
....So you were banned by the Official Forum, eh?
It is not a reality based community over there, to say the least.

Old
02-23-2012, 08:02 AM
normalpsychology

vCash: 511
**** you're telling me posted over there once about the possibility that eric staal maybe shouldn't be captain needless to say huge fall out: OH MY GOOKIE! it was like i knocked over a statue of christ himself and took a dump on its face and i'm just like WOW LOL... literally laughing so hard right now AHUHUHUH. it's like the effing peoples temple over there head by TSA jim jones himself

well those are some good tv shows man ntmy and i like what you said about the internet brought that a tear to my eye

normalpsychology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

Quote:
**** you're telling me posted over there once about the possibility that eric staal maybe shouldn't be captain needless to say huge fall out: OH MY GOOKIE! it was like i knocked over a statue of christ himself and took a dump on its face and i'm just like WOW LOL... literally laughing so hard right now AHUHUHUH. it's like the effing peoples temple over there head by TSA jim jones himself

well those are some good tv shows man ntmy and i like what you said about the internet brought that a tear to my eye

Never leave us.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Wolfpack Cane

Might as well give this a shot.

Name: Chris
Sex: Male
Where You're From: W-S, NC
Where You Live Now: Raleigh
Nationality: American
Mode of Transportation: Honda Civic
What brought you to HF Boards: Wanted some informative hockey talk and the official boards didn't do it for me.
How you became a hockey fan: The excitement of the run to the Cup Finals in 02. I was always aware of hockey, but I hadn't given it a chance until then.
How you became a Canes fan: See above
Favorite thing about being a Canes fan: There are good things???
Favorite Cane's Player(s): Cam Ward
Favorite NON Cane's Player(s): Giroux
Other Sports You Like: Football, baseball, college basketball
Other Sports Teams You Cheer For: SF 49ers, Atlanta Braves
College Attended/Attending: NC State
Video Game Systems Owned: XBox 360
Favorite Game(s): Left 4 Dead, NHL 12
Music You Listen To: The Black Keys, Muse, Arcade Fire, Silversun Pickups
Favorite Movie(s): Fight Club, Memento, Shawshank Redemption
Favorite Book(s): Catch-22
Favorite Food(s): any kind of pasta
Favorite TV Show(s): The Wire, Arrested Development, anything on HBO
Hockey Jerseys In Wardrobe: plain white, plain red, red Staal, Gordie Howe Whalers

Wolfpack Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Seems like the implosion of the official boards has only been positive for this forum. The more the merrier.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:07 AM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:

I had hoped that one of the first responses would be from Ray, but wouldn't have bet on it.

Perhaps there's something wrong with me that this more or less made my whole day.

Old
02-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
yeeeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Cane View Post
Favorite TV Show(s): Arrested Development
I like you.

Old
03-23-2012, 12:34 AM
Antonymous

hey guys. first time poster, 2-yr lurker. thanks for the jokes and analysis, you'll be seeing more of me

Antonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:37 AM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonymous View Post
hey guys. first time poster, 2-yr lurker. thanks for the jokes and analysis, you'll be seeing more of me
Well, you're starting off on a good note with a clever Anton-themed username. I think I might like you already...

Oh, and welcome to the circus that is the Canes board.

bilpeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 12:44 AM
Antonymous

right on man i'll fill out that profile stuff tomorrow maybe

Antonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 01:43 AM
Carolinas Identity
I'm a bad troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonymous View Post
right on man i'll fill out that profile stuff tomorrow maybe
I like the cut of your jib sir. Welcome aboard.

Hopefully you brought your wits with you though, for sanity here is in short supply

Carolinas Identity is online now   Reply With Quote