HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Pittsburgh and St. Louis

Old
01-13-2009, 12:38 PM
Brian28

vCash: 500
I don't see St Louis making this trade. Players like Boyes are harder to replace than Staal. Defensive mided players are all over...just the points they earn vary. 40 goal scorers aren't nearly as easy to find.

For example St Louis could sign Marty Reasoner in the offseason if they need a short term centre on the 3rd line to allow the rest of teh team to develop. Marty would cost about 1M/year and would greatly improve faceoffs and PK duties for them without having to give up Boyes.

It'd be nice for St Louis to get Staal...but not at the price. there just aren't that many 40 goal scorers available compared to defensive minded forwards. They might not be a Staal, but they're cheaper and effective.

Brian28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:43 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Because when your ATOI is 19 minutes and you have shakey goaltending and defense it is not bad luck that puts you at a minus it's merely statistical probability. He's also only -5 for home games where we play much better and -18 while on the road where the the team is dismal. Imagine that someone's +/- looks better when a team plays better as a whole.
The Blues this year are a horrible even strength team. Boyes' +/- is the lowest because he logs the most icetime of the forwards by far. The Blues forwards that have the best +/- are Berglund and Perron because Berglund is very strong both ways, and he and Perron do a good job of pinning the opponents in their defensive end.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen

Well, St. Louis doesn't get a Staal type for anything else other than a Boyes or another offensive threat so the majority may be right ... let this one die.

Pelican Peach Pen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lustaf View Post
It may generate some talks but in the end, I don't think the Blues would do it.
Probably not. But I think that if Staal was put in a position to succeed with the Blues he'd surprise many people. He's getting the shaft in Pit playing behind Sid and Geno so he doesn't have the support from his linemates to succeed, which skews his offensive numbers.

Ragamuffin Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:53 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I guess I'm the only one who would rather keep Staal.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASV 27 View Post
Probably not. But I think that if Staal was put in a position to succeed with the Blues he'd surprise many people. He's getting the shaft in Pit playing behind Sid and Geno so he doesn't have the support from his linemates to succeed, which skews his offensive numbers.
It could very well be that Staal would prosper in the Blues environment, but Boyes is already prospering. It's hard to give up what you know you have...for a potential. There's cheaper options for the Blues, and far less risky ones. Boyes is happy and productive...Staal right now is seen by many as underachieving or nearing a bust as far as the Staals are seen by fans. Too much risk for St Louis.

Old
01-13-2009, 01:08 PM
wej20

I hate it when people even hint that Staals a bust.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Irish Blues

If Staal didn't already have a 4-year, $16 million extension inked, it might be easier for the Blues to consider. God love Jordan Staal, but if you look at the last season and a half it's hard to see "I'm worth $4 million a year" written on him. Oh, I know - he's got skill, he's got potential, he's already potted 29, he plays a ton on the PK, ... and he's also prone to taking lazy shifts every game and doesn't always play inspired hockey. If he came to the Blues and played like that, Andy Murray would have a permanent piece of Staal's backside mounted on his desk within a week.

Granted, I think Staal has "future #2 center" written all over him - if he can untap his potential - but thus far I've only seen flashes of it, instead of a consistent, "I am a #2 center" statement in his play. That said, I'd have to take a long, hard look at whether or not I thought Staal would "get it" wearing the Bluenote and whether it was worth dealing a guy who put in 43 last year and is on pace for 38 this year.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Brian28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I hate it when people even hint that Staals a bust.
Sorry. Didn't mean to upset you but that's the way people are starting to look at him compared to the rest of his family. It's unfortunate that he can't be allowed to stand by himself and let his record do the talking, but everyone looks at him compared to his brothers...and he's not doing as well.

On his own he's a good player. Good defensive presence, good points, 2nd line potential, but can bring some issues (some lazy shifts...same as all other players really). For that reason most teams would love to have him, but compared to his pedigree he's not at the "Staal" level yet.

Old
01-13-2009, 01:22 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
If Staal didn't already have a 4-year, $16 million extension inked, it might be easier for the Blues to consider. God love Jordan Staal, but if you look at the last season and a half it's hard to see "I'm worth $4 million a year" written on him. Oh, I know - he's got skill, he's got potential, he's already potted 29, he plays a ton on the PK, ... and he's also prone to taking lazy shifts every game and doesn't always play inspired hockey. If he came to the Blues and played like that, Andy Murray would have a permanent piece of Staal's backside mounted on his desk within a week.

Granted, I think Staal has "future #2 center" written all over him - if he can untap his potential - but thus far I've only seen flashes of it, instead of a consistent, "I am a #2 center" statement in his play. That said, I'd have to take a long, hard look at whether or not I thought Staal would "get it" wearing the Bluenote and whether it was worth dealing a guy who put in 43 last year and is on pace for 38 this year.
I feel that the 4M makes him more tradeable. There are a few teams at least that would have given him more in an offer sheet, and there's no reason to think that he would have taken a pay cut to stay in StL.

Old
01-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASV 27 View Post
I feel that the 4M makes him more tradeable. There are a few teams at least that would have given him more in an offer sheet, and there's no reason to think that he would have taken a pay cut to stay in StL.
-- Would he have taken a pay cut? Probably not.
-- Would the Blues have offered $4 million per year? Maybe, maybe not; I think they would have at least liked the chance to decide that on their own, though.
-- Would other teams have offered more than $4 million per year in an offer sheet? Maybe, maybe not - though I think with a cap likely to hold flat if not decline, the chances of him getting a $4 million per year offer sheet were small ... especially since any team that might have been interested needs to make sure it's taken care of its own free agents, lest it find itself squeezed by someone else's offer sheet and thus losing a player it really wanted to keep as a result - and those two factors would have wiped out a lot of potential cap space teams have.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
-- Would he have taken a pay cut? Probably not.
-- Would the Blues have offered $4 million per year? Maybe, maybe not; I think they would have at least liked the chance to decide that on their own, though.
-- Would other teams have offered more than $4 million per year in an offer sheet? Maybe, maybe not - though I think with a cap likely to hold flat if not decline, the chances of him getting a $4 million per year offer sheet were small ... especially since any team that might have been interested needs to make sure it's taken care of its own free agents, lest it find itself squeezed by someone else's offer sheet and thus losing a player it really wanted to keep as a result - and those two factors would have wiped out a lot of potential cap space teams have.
Off the top of my head I'd imagine that the Blue Jackets would offer him more then 4M. Also, Toronto has a bunch of cap space and are in rebuilding mode. Pretty much any struggling team with lots of cap room could potentially offer Staal 5Mish.