HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

this western road swing proves to me

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2004, 11:22 AM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
to soft...we will get beaten like rented mules

guys,

after last nights game(enuff) its clear to me ,that were not tough enough .avery and laperriere just completly man handled the habs line upThey completely shut down and intimidated Ryder, Ribs and Dags..it looked like they were scared as a deer caught in the head lights.well get used to it boys it doesnt get any easier from now on in.with the likes of boston,ottawa and the leafs bolstering up there line up ,were in trouble if we don't get tougher before tuesday(imho),we need someone who can set the tone,and langdon isnt it.imho.he isnt FEARED .hes as tough as a two dollar steak ,but the oppisition doesnt fear him.if they did they would have though twice of running garon three times!!!!!!! why didnt langdon feel the need to go and punch the living begeezus outta someone right after that happened the first time?i know close game bad penealtys ,but come on you cant let this kinda thing slide.we need to get tougher NOW!we dont need anymore offense we got enough of it ,when they want to turn it up a notch.we need backbone,someone who can come in and show no fear and hopefully it will make the team as a whole step it up and become tuffer...you see koivu last night .he was goin after people push shoving ruffing it up.atleast he was in there getting his nose dirty and standing up for his team mates.where was ribero?say boo and he goes of to the bench.
again we need a feared enforcer!!!!!

offense stacks up well
kovelov,koivu,zed
ryder,ribero,(insert a player with a mean streak )arnott type
begin, sundstrom ,bullis
dowd, (new enforcer) ,ward

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 03-07-2004 at 11:54 AM.
Old
03-07-2004, 12:00 PM
Chehabi

Send a message via AIM to Chehabi
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
offense stacks up well
kovelov,koivu,zed
ryder,ribero,(insert a player with a mean streak )arnott type
begin, sundstrom ,bullis
You can't keep Kovalev and Zednik with Koivu on the first line forever. We all know how Koivu does with checking pressure (gets injured). I think Zednik should play with Ribs and Kovalev with Koivu and maybe Sundstrum so that that line isn't so much of an offensive threat.

Old
03-07-2004, 12:23 PM
BigM1ke

Quote:
I'm so *** tired of seeing people scratching Langdon!! He is a GREAT ENFORCER!!!

Damn what's the problem here?? We have an enforcer and we need a new one to replace him when he's already doing a pretty good job??

come on this is getting lame.

And what if Langdon would have punched the guy that ran into Garon and took a 2 minutes and we would have allowed a goal in that PP like in the one at the end of the game?? You would have bashed Langdon for that stupid penalty I'm sure.

Old
03-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Aarex

If hes such a great enforcer where was he when garon got bodychecked (4 times)? While he is a awesome fighter, has won all but 2? fights he has been in and that lifts the team and brings morale...he needs to defend our soft players more...like Rivet does...IMO Rivet is more of a enforcer then Langdon

Old
03-07-2004, 12:32 PM
hockey_nut

It doesn't help when you're not on the ice when your goalie gets nailed...

but that aside... yes, we need to play more physical... but at the same time, we proved last night that when in tough, we can still overcome another team's physical attempt to shut us down

Old
03-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Aarex

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut
It doesn't help when you're not on the ice when your goalie gets nailed...

but that aside... yes, we need to play more physical... but at the same time, we proved last night that when in tough, we can still overcome another team's physical attempt to shut us down
They don't really need to be on the ice when the goalie gets nailed, The next time they are on the ice with him (avery for example) he should either lay a check so hard that he will never think of messing with your goalie again, or drop the gloves and give him the beating of his life...

This is how hockey has always been, its a way to police themselves...and since this stupid instigator penalty was introduced it has severely damaged this.

Old
03-07-2004, 12:41 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M1ke
I'm so *** tired of seeing people scratching Langdon!! He is a GREAT ENFORCER!!!

Damn what's the problem here?? We have an enforcer and we need a new one to replace him when he's already doing a pretty good job??

come on this is getting lame.

And what if Langdon would have punched the guy that ran into Garon and took a 2 minutes and we would have allowed a goal in that PP like in the one at the end of the game?? You would have bashed Langdon for that stupid penalty I'm sure.
-----------------------------------------------
first of all im not bashing or trashing langdon.i said all along i like him .i guesss what im trying to say mike is that going into the playoffs ,ideally were need an enforcer who can do more than just chuck his fist(langdon).
yes we have a great enforcer in langdon i agree,but we need and enforcer with some possible scoring punch(ala chris simon,barnaby etc) .simon has 25 pts so far ,barnaby has 30 pts.langdon has 3 pts do you leave the guy on the 4th line in the playoffs?would you rather have someone who can chuck'em plus produce point wise?
it only makes sense to me.our team is by far one of the least feared teams in the leauge.do you think that when the opponents look at our line up do they say"o man langdons in the line up"one more time he is tough and can hang in there ,fighting wise with the best of them ,but there is no intimadation there.

and as far as langdon fighting and taking a bad penealty.so what.there souldnt be no excuses .i dont care about the bad penealty.go out and grab a hold of who was responsible and wack him upside the head and worry about the penealty later.by us not doin anything ,it just confirmed to the la kings they could walk all over us ,and geuss what they did,all night long.just ask garon!!!!!

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 03-07-2004 at 12:47 PM.
Old
03-07-2004, 12:43 PM
hockey_nut

And because of the instigator, you can't go around on another shift and lay everyone out and kick everyone's @$$... it's a matter of playing sound and smart hockey. The Kings were right in the mix of things... any added momemtum could've cost us a win.

Assure yourselves a W, then kick butt... refer to the Philly/Ottawa game...

Old
03-07-2004, 12:44 PM
Artyukhin*

[

Old
03-07-2004, 12:44 PM
Aarex

I'm with doug on this, I like langdon..I'm not meaning to bash him or anything. But IMO, a 2 minute instegator penalty is worth it to shut down a entire line and protect your players.

Old
03-07-2004, 12:48 PM
habitual_hab

Quote:
guys,

after last nights game(enuff) its clear to me ,that were not tough enough .avery and laperriere just completly man handled the habs line upThey completely shut down and intimidated Ryder, Ribs and Dags..
I agree up to a point. The Habs' lack of size up front (especially down the middle) has been a problem for years. Way back when in '86 the Habs had McPhee, Skrudland, Maley, Lemieux, Momesso, Nilan, Gainey, etc... essentially a lineup that couldn't get pushed around. But Ha GMs prior to Andre Savard and Gainey did a good job of depleting the Habs' lineup of forwards with size and/or tenacity. (You may hate him, but dumping Darcy Tucker was a mistake, IMO.) The 1993 Habs were probably the smallest modern-day club to win the Cup - and the Habs' have been small ever since.

The Habs get pushed around on occasion because they don't have alot of size up front. I agree that the Dagenais-Ribeiro-Ryder line looked bad last night - Dagenais especially. Hopefully Gainey is looking for a replacement for Dagenais - but he might just be waiting for Bulis to get back and send Dagenais down . Either way, Dagenais has got to go - he's a waste of roster space.

And notice how teams focus their attack on Quintal? I appreciate that he's a warrior and all but he's quickly turning into a pylonic defensive detriment.

Old
03-07-2004, 12:51 PM
EaGLE1

I love Langdon as an enforcer. He know his job, don't worry. What do you want him to do? Fight against 5''9 Avery? It don't make sense. I would keep Langdon in the lineup if we play against tough teams like PHI but maybe i would scrach him against OTT. Anyway, there is absolutely no need to trade this guy.

Old
03-07-2004, 12:53 PM
Aarex

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
I love Langdon as an enforcer. He know his job, don't worry. What do you want him to do? Fight against 5''9 Avery? It don't make sense. I would keep Langdon in the lineup if we play against tough teams like PHI but maybe i would scrach him against OTT. Anyway, there is absolutely no need to trade this guy.
Yea, actually I would like him to fight 6'9 Avery...Avery caused us to have at LEAST 2 penalties with his cocky bull**** and whiny attitude...He needed to have his ass handed to him...IMO

Old
03-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Joe Malone

While I agree we do need more toughness up front, something must be said about last night's game. It was the 8th game in 13 nights, and 4 in the last 6 since they flew cross-continent. And it showed....that was a tired, listless looking bunch that showed up in Hab''s uniforms. Garon saved our bacon.

Not to take anything away from the Kings. They've had an horrendous injury list this year, but played an inspired game. Obviously their forchecking and hitting was too much for the habs players. But fatigue was an issue for the Habs.

Hopefully that post game "team dinner" Rivet spoke about on CBC After Hours will infuse some energy into the Hab's players.

10 P.M. in L.A. on a Saturday night....do you think they were going for dinner?

Old
03-07-2004, 01:08 PM
Artyukhin*

1.....ok guys 5'9 avery...well langdon is 6'1 205 okay so he's not a monster.it wouldnt be like donald brasher going after avery.

2.he takes on average any where from 6 to 20 shot a year on average.
he played 500 games in the nhl and have you seen his shot total?
153 shots.
he has a total of 39 pts in his 10 years nhl career
so 500 games played and 39 pts.
hmm..ok he fights ,but so does simon and ,barnaby.sorry to say would we have been worse if we signed simon?he fights,is intimadating,and wow,he got 25 pts so far this year.so who do ya take ?they both fight,and 1 guy has 39 pts in 500 games and the other has 25 points in 60?..hmmmmm.who would look better on the 4th line?
look i know simon is in calgary know,but

chris simon......592 games has 248 pts
darren langdon....500 games has 39 pts
matthew barnaby 699 games has 254 pts
who would you rather have on the 4th line come play off time?

i 'm not questioning that he not tuff .again he's a good guy,come playoff time he becomes a liability!!!!!just look at how many games he played in the playoff with the canucks last year in the playoffs?
3.i took this from tsn scouting report....

Preseason projected role Langdon should once again play a part-time role as an enforcer with Carolina in 2002-03.

Assets Will fight early and often. Won't back down from a challenge and always sticks up for his mates. Has an exemplary attitude.

Flaws Doesn't have enough skills that are NHL-caliber, aside from his punch-up skills.

Career potential Langdon may stick around the NHL for another season or two but needs to show more ability to secure his future. He doesn't provide enough to an NHL team to justify more playing time.

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 03-07-2004 at 01:45 PM.
Old
03-07-2004, 02:27 PM
BigM1ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydified
I'm with doug on this, I like langdon..I'm not meaning to bash him or anything. But IMO, a 2 minute instegator penalty is worth it to shut down a entire line and protect your players.
If we would have lose due to that 2 min penaly, I don't think you would be saying the same thing today. Langdon caught some pretty bad penalties few weeks ago and he seems to have learned from them. I don't think we need a new enforcer. I wouldn't mind seeing someone like Barnaby comes but it's not necessary IMO.

Old
03-07-2004, 02:49 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone
While I agree we do need more toughness up front, something must be said about last night's game. It was the 8th game in 13 nights, and 4 in the last 6 since they flew cross-continent. And it showed....that was a tired, listless looking bunch that showed up in Hab''s uniforms. Garon saved our bacon.

Not to take anything away from the Kings. They've had an horrendous injury list this year, but played an inspired game. Obviously their forchecking and hitting was too much for the habs players. But fatigue was an issue for the Habs.

Hopefully that post game "team dinner" Rivet spoke about on CBC After Hours will infuse some energy into the Hab's players.

Add the fact that they had a game against Phoenix where dumb penalties almost cost them a game they had under control. Avery and Laperriere had and excellent game, they are solid agitating forwards. Give them credit. Chasing them down and avenging every hit, facewash or phantom goalie nudge puts you in penalty trouble that can change the course of a game, which is what I suspect LA's 3rd line was trying to achieve. CJ's pre-game meeting included a plea for discipline and putting the 2 points as the priority. Well, they got the 2 points thanks to Garon and getting a goal when they needed it.

Old
03-07-2004, 02:57 PM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone

Agreed. doug mckenzie you're making waaaaay to big a deal of this.

We were a tired team and got outplayed. Pure and simple. Why was that Langdon's fault or how would have a different enforcer have changed that?

Langdon is doing fine and the enforcer position is not a priority to upgrade IMO.

Old
03-07-2004, 03:53 PM
Guy Caballero

It wasn't Langdon's decision to go out and get payback against Avery. It was Julien's. If you want to lay blame, lay it right there. Do you think Langdon is intimidated by Avery in any way? One word and he would have been on him. But what would have happened if Langdon tried to get Avery? That little punk would have skated away, yapping all the while, like he usually does, and we would have been a man short. The it would have been Langdon's ass for putting us in the hole with ANOTHER penalty. The best way to deal with a guy like Avery is not with a Langdon, but with a Begin, Komisarek, or Souray—pound the tar out of him with good, clean hits (and maybe a couple of not-so-clean ones, if you can get away with it), and make HIM retaliate and put his team in the hole. Invariably he will, as we saw in the scrum later in the game, where Avery got an extra two and threw his hissy fit.

Closed Thread