HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carbo, Pleks, Gorges on rumors

Old
01-13-2009, 04:33 PM
1UP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
He's 28..so, that's not too far off from 25. Those 3extra years you're talking about, won't be too expensive.
His last 3years are at 4.5M/1.5M/1M.

We just don't know if he'll even be playing at that age, but that's a risk we'll have to take if he comes.
But it's not enough to judge a decision on IMO.

Id take Vinny without a doubt if I base my decision on his salary. It all depends on what TB asks in return.
Sadly, even with all the players in the trade, we break our cereal ceiling.

We only have 0.1 millions left.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=MTL

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Jiggernaut

Quote:
Eventually, this is what Montreal must do to get over the hump and win a cup. The team needs to parlay Timmins great work into a star. Bluntly, all this depth is wasted and will rot on the vine unless some room is made.
Ask Pittsburgh what they think about this, having the two best stars on their team, trading away picks and depth for another star. Look what it's left them only 1 season removed, and just wait until their other star's real contract kicks in, and their goalies....

Depth will not rot on the vine in the new NHL as player turnover is higher than it has ever been with regards to RFA and UFA status. With more teams able to get in bidding wars it makes it harder and harder to retain UFA's these days with the mercenary like attitude of today's NHL'ers. Room will naturally come from within with players not being resigned and injuries.

Trading your depth and prospects for a single player, star or not, is a short sighted investment looking only at the immediate future (this season) and no further. It MAY bring you success, but in most cases as history indicates, it does not. Teams that follow this pattern take one small step forward this season, and a few steps back the next.

I for one want to see the continued success and competitiveness of this organization for years to come.

To each their own, but I hope this is nothing more than the media trying to drive up hits because of a slow news month...

Jiggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:26 PM
RC51

something to consider,,,
Vinny just had a huge house built in Tampa.
House prices are now down 40% in Tampa
He would lose millions if he were to sell now.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
I disagree with the bolded part. Pittsburgh went out and got the equivalent of Lecavalier in Hossa and it got them nothing. We need to add to this group that we have right now that is contending not subtract from it. We are talking about moving young quality cheap players that helped make us a good team right now and a future prospect with picks to bring in one expensive cap hit in an economic environment that will hurt later on.
Pittsburgh had a glorified AHL team and three superstars. Montreal has arguably the deepest talent pool in the NHL, but no superstars up front.

That's the key difference.

Plus, you cannot "add" without subtracting. And if we added any more, we'd be icing two teams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggernaut View Post
Trading your depth and prospects for a single player, star or not, is a short sighted investment looking only at the immediate future (this season) and no further.
If this were for Gaborik or Bouwmeester or anyone who doesn't have a contract on July 1st, I'd agree whole heartedly. We should not trade for a rental. That is short sighted.

This is not what Pittsburgh did with Hossa or what we tried to do with Sundin.

This is someone who would be the heart and face of the franchise for the next five to seven years.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:30 PM
NewHabsEra*

Plekanec..

I just love the guy, I hope we keep him, he has been one of my favorite players for a long time and feel we need him to win Stanley cups.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Jiggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
If this were for Gaborik or Bouwmeester or anyone who doesn't have a contract on July 1st, I'd agree whole heartedly. We should not trade for a rental. That is short sighted.

This is not what Pittsburgh did with Hossa or what we tried to do with Sundin.

This is someone who would be the heart and face of the franchise for the next five to seven years.
Even if you have some extremely key players due for new contracts over the next two years, and the player in question has a bloated cap hit, especially when the caps expected to go down?

Us trading away our young, cap manageable talent makes it hard to put together a complete team years down the road. Regardless if the player you are trading for is impending UFA or not with that salary.

Yes I would love Vinny on our team. Not for the players mentioned, and not for the cap hit and term. It cripples a team too much moving forward in a cap world.

Jiggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:38 PM
bjac

Quote:
Ask Pittsburgh what they think about this, having the two best stars on their team, trading away picks and depth for another star. Look what it's left them only 1 season removed, and just wait until their other star's real contract kicks in, and their goalies....

Depth will not rot on the vine in the new NHL as player turnover is higher than it has ever been with regards to RFA and UFA status. With more teams able to get in bidding wars it makes it harder and harder to retain UFA's these days with the mercenary like attitude of today's NHL'ers. Room will naturally come from within with players not being resigned and injuries.

Trading your depth and prospects for a single player, star or not, is a short sighted investment looking only at the immediate future (this season) and no further. It MAY bring you success, but in most cases as history indicates, it does not. Teams that follow this pattern take one small step forward this season, and a few steps back the next.

I for one want to see the continued success and competitiveness of this organization for years to come.

To each their own, but I hope this is nothing more than the media trying to drive up hits because of a slow news month...
I've seen several comparisons to the Pens/Hossa deal, which IMO aren't appropriate.

The Pens of last year and the Habs of this year are in a COMPLETELY different situation.... As you just mentioned in your post, the Pens already had several superstar players. They were average in depth, which eventually really hurt them since they traded some quality players away... IMO they did not need another offensive star player, and didn't have the resources to safely go after one.. but they did anyway.

The Habs on teh other hand have tons of depth and no offensive superstar player... Also, Vinny is no rental, Hossa was. Completely different situations, I don't know why people are comparing them.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Yes I would love Vinny on our team. Not for the players mentioned, and not for the cap hit and term. It cripples a team too much moving forward in a cap world.
Exactly true. That is the one place we agree. I am unsure it's a good idea for that exact reason. But that is the only one. The concept of trading even three guys off this roster for one star is not a problem in my books.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 06:55 PM
maci4life

Pitsburgh got nothing in return last year?

gimme a break. They went to the cup final. Thats a really big deal. They took that chance and it paid off until they met a really tough detroit team.

The question is, is Vinny, and lets say schneider enough to get this team a stanley cup. Will a team with those 2 players be able to beat an anaheim, detroit, San jose?

I'm not sure this team has that this year, regardless of who you add.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 07:27 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

I'm dying laughing at Pleks comment! Zing! lol

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 07:38 PM
Nedved

no. not gorges. gorges and prices love affair>vinny

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 08:01 PM
11alias11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
something to consider,,,
Vinny just had a huge house built in Tampa.
House prices are now down 40% in Tampa
He would lose millions if he were to sell now.
: pretty sure he can afford to sit on it until home values go back up or use it as a summer home....

11alias11 is offline   Reply With Quote