HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Putting my son into Hockey Need Advice

Old
01-13-2009, 03:58 PM
happyhab*

vCash: 500
Putting my son into Hockey Need Advice

Hi everyone, I had a quick question that I'm sure some of you can help me with..I'm planning on putting my son into hockey for next season, he will be 7 years old, he is just starting to skate, so pretty much he can skate back and forth on the ice, can't stop or turn.

Anyone with experience please tell me should he be a good skater to join some houselleague team or can he learn to skate while he plays. He does go skating for about 2hours a week

Thanks

happyhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:42 PM
EmptyNetter

From what I understand most local hockey programs group players according to skill level as opposed to age. Depending on where you are 7 is quite old to start playing organized hockey. I was around 8 when I first played and because of my skill level I played with kids 2 years younger than I was. I could skate forward, I could turn but I couldn't stop.

Granted, this was 30 years ago but as long as your son doesn't mind playing with younger kids it shouldn't be a problem. I felt kind of like I was demoted and didn't return the next season.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Made Dan

Put him in a few clinics for beginners, definitely.

Made Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Reckless Abandon*

He's 7, he can skate, he's fine.

He'll pick up hockey as he goes.

Reckless Abandon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 07:57 PM
happyhab*

Actually he's a very good ball hockey player, understands the game very well, is a hockey fanatic, his problem is skating, he can't turn or stop as of now thats why I'm wondering if I should just put him in a league and let him learn to skate on his own.And i'm wondering if thats normal...

Old
01-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Reckless Abandon*

When I was in high school I played a rec league on the side with 15-17 year olds... some of them my friends... they couldn't all stop and could only really turn one way. He'll be fine, especially if he knows hockey too. Hitting or no?

Reckless Abandon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 08:45 PM
therealdeal

Man, it's hockey for 7 year olds. Pretty much none of them can skate, throw your kid in there let him play, he'll pick it up. If he wants to get more ice time bring him to some public skate ice once in a while.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 02:11 AM
Ice Hockey

put him in a skating clinic-- any one-- it doesn't matter.

the more he skates the better he'll get.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 07:52 AM
zuke8675309

I agree with the previous poster - at 7 years old it's all about ice time.
My son is 7 and played mini-mites last year and mites this year. He did learn to skate before mini-mites so he had most of the basics down before he started. I'm a believer in learn-to-skate programs before hockey - they simply help skill development and promote good habits. The kids who went to some kind of learn-to-skate tend to have smoother strides. Also, when you're watching mites or mini-mites you can tell the kids who learned to skate before playing hockey vs the kids who learned while playing hockey and the difference is the use of their stick while stopping and turning. Kids who learned before playing hockey don't rely on their stick for balance or do so only rarely. Kids who learned while playing hockey tend to use their stick for balance when stopping and sometimes even sharp turns.

That being said, there's no reason why your son can't slap on some equipment and learn as he goes. There is one kid on my son's current team who was basically in the same situation as your son and he has learned as the season went along. Can other kids skate circles around him? Sure, but he is coming along and has improved tremendously from the start of the season. It's all about ice time.

zuke8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:24 AM
FeedDaPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhab View Post
Hi everyone, I had a quick question that I'm sure some of you can help me with..I'm planning on putting my son into hockey for next season, he will be 7 years old, he is just starting to skate, so pretty much he can skate back and forth on the ice, can't stop or turn.

Anyone with experience please tell me should he be a good skater to join some houselleague team or can he learn to skate while he plays. He does go skating for about 2hours a week

Thanks
Take a look at this: http://www.icedaily.com/blog/59/Viat...va)-Kouznetsov

Slava is an awesome coach - really knows his stuff. You can probably pose the question to him.

FeedDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 11:57 AM
happyhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedDaPuck View Post
Take a look at this: http://www.icedaily.com/blog/59/Viat...va)-Kouznetsov

Slava is an awesome coach - really knows his stuff. You can probably pose the question to him.
Thanks I posed the question, we'll see if he answers it...Also thanks everyone for your coments and advice, also is it normal for my son not to be skating with his ankles straight?? Right now both his ankles are facing outwards, sort of like he doesn't have the strenght right now to hold up his body weight, is that normal for starters or is he learning the wrong technique.... A skating instructor told me that, that was normal

Old
01-14-2009, 12:22 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Thanks I posed the question, we'll see if he answers it...Also thanks everyone for your coments and advice, also is it normal for my son not to be skating with his ankles straight?? Right now both his ankles are facing outwards, sort of like he doesn't have the strenght right now to hold up his body weight, is that normal for starters or is he learning the wrong technique.... A skating instructor told me that, that was normal
That's it exactly. When I started playing again in my early 30's I had the same problem. When you're used to walking in shoes 3-5 inches wide and you switch to standing on two thin blades of metal your body will have to adjust. His ankles will get stronger out of necessity and he'll grow out of it soon enough.

Old
01-14-2009, 12:54 PM
alienanton*

two words: power skating.

alienanton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:15 PM
therealdeal

Quote:
The poster who replied is wrong, that's due to poor fitting skates.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:21 PM
BogsDiamond
Anybody get 2 U yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
The poster who replied is wrong, that's due to poor fitting skates.
Absolutely.
My son started skating at barely 4 years old. And he was underdeveloped for his age and he never had his ankles push out like that.
Spend the extra $$$ and get him proper fitting skates. He'll thank you for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless Abandon View Post
He's 7, he can skate, he's fine.

He'll pick up hockey as he goes.
Best advice here.
I coach my son's 'Timbit' hockey team. It's for ages 4-7. I have a couple of 7 year olds that are just starting out and have the same skill level as your son. After a few weeks you'll be blown away with the results you see. He'll pick it up really quick. Especially because he's older and stronger than most 4 or 5 year olds when they start out.

Power skating or CanSkate are good options as well, but make sure he wants to do it or at the least will entertain the thought.
I had my son in a short 8-week program in the spring before he started hockey and it did a world of good. He was hesitant at first but as soon as he learned he could get up on his own, he really took off.

Don't push him though. Hockey is meant to be fun and 7-years-old is still a very young age for high expectations.

Enjoy!

BogsDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 01:28 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolemitesP1mpHand View Post
Absolutely.
My son started skating at barely 4 years old. And he was underdeveloped for his age and he never had his ankles push out like that.
Spend the extra $$$ and get him proper fitting skates. He'll thank you for that.
Can you explain? I can understand how boot stiffness would help support his weight but his ankle will never need to get any stronger. In the end it would be harder for him to use his edges, right?

I don't have any kids but I'm seriously curious.

Old
01-14-2009, 01:35 PM
BogsDiamond
Anybody get 2 U yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
Can you explain? I can understand how boot stiffness would help support his weight but his ankle will never need to get any stronger. In the end it would be harder for him to use his edges, right?

I don't have any kids but I'm seriously curious.
It's not so much about supporting their weight, but the proper fit for their type of foot.
If you see your ankles spreading out, it's because you have the wrong type of boot for your ankle/foot shape.

And his ankles will get stronger but he needs to make sure that his ankles are in the right position in the first place.
Having more support on his ankles won't hurt his ankles from becoming stronger naturally.

In the old days, building up ankle support was necessary because you had leather boots that didn't hold at all.
People dealt with it and their ankles got stronger to adapt. But it's also a reason why so many players back then don't have near the skating habits of skaters today. The boots are specially designed to fit every shape and size of foot.

I know I had some small issues with how my skating was until I finally splurged and got some skates that fit my feet perfectly. It makes a world of difference.

Old
01-14-2009, 02:02 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
It's not so much about supporting their weight, but the proper fit for their type of foot.
If you see your ankles spreading out, it's because you have the wrong type of boot for your ankle/foot shape.

And his ankles will get stronger but he needs to make sure that his ankles are in the right position in the first place.
Having more support on his ankles won't hurt his ankles from becoming stronger naturally.

In the old days, building up ankle support was necessary because you had leather boots that didn't hold at all.
People dealt with it and their ankles got stronger to adapt. But it's also a reason why so many players back then don't have near the skating habits of skaters today. The boots are specially designed to fit every shape and size of foot.

I know I had some small issues with how my skating was until I finally splurged and got some skates that fit my feet perfectly. It makes a world of difference.
Okay, that makes sense. But he's not doing any permanent harm if he keeps the current pair of skates, is he? I empathize with any dad who does spend the extra money on the better skates only to see his kid grow out of them in a few month's time. As long as it's not painful and making hockey less fun I'd think he can wait a couple of years to buy the high end skate, especially when it becomes clear whether he's going to commit himself to playing regularly.

Old
01-14-2009, 02:10 PM
Sportacus
:)

I started hockey at 7, and if it's houseleague (which it is in this case), many of the other kids will be new to skating and hockey.

Sportacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Okay, that makes sense. But he's not doing any permanent harm if he keeps the current pair of skates, is he? I empathize with any dad who does spend the extra money on the better skates only to see his kid grow out of them in a few month's time. As long as it's not painful and making hockey less fun I'd think he can wait a couple of years to buy the high end skate, especially when it becomes clear whether he's going to commit himself to playing regularly.
This happens a lot. There are a lot of good used skates out there in his size range for that very reason.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2009, 02:55 PM
BogsDiamond
Anybody get 2 U yet?

Quote:
He could be hurting him if he keeps him in skates that don't fit right.
He might learn to skate awkwardly or improperly.
And if he's having problems learning how to skate, because of bad skates, he might not have fun and want to quit.

Like Crosbyfan has said, most sport shops will have very good used skates if money is an issue.
Most kids aged between 4 and 8 hardly put a dent in new skates. I've seen some near-mint Grafs on sale for $25.
If it fits right, it's a good option to go with.

Old
01-14-2009, 03:02 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
He could be hurting him if he keeps him in skates that don't fit right.
He might learn to skate awkwardly or improperly.
And if he's having problems learning how to skate, because of bad skates, he might not have fun and want to quit.

Like Crosbyfan has said, most sport shops will have very good used skates if money is an issue.
Most kids aged between 4 and 8 hardly put a dent in new skates. I've seen some near-mint Grafs on sale for $25.
If it fits right, it's a good option to go with.
Thanks for explaining.

Old
01-15-2009, 01:08 PM
BogsDiamond
Anybody get 2 U yet?

Quote:
Thanks for explaining.
Anytime! Cheers!

Old
01-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Pensfan86

Send a message via AIM to Pensfan86
I'd say start him off in a house league and let him figure it out as he goes. Going to practice and playing in games will make him a stronger skater. If you're extremely concerned, consider placing him in a spring/summer league.

Pensfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2009, 02:42 PM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

He'd probably be in Novice level or something like a Timbits program, etc. There will be lots of other kids just learning and you'd be surprized at how fast they learn.
When my oldest started last season, he could just barely shuffle on his skates. He started in mid-October and by Christmas he was flying around out there. They learn quick. They learn even faster if you can get them to listen. Usually they just play around, but they still learn fast no matter what.
Don't push him though. Let him go at his own pace and keep it fun. Always keep it fun. It isn't a job and he doesn't have to take it seriously.

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote