HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

CBJ/Pitts.

Old
01-13-2009, 03:49 PM
hashmarks

vCash: 500
CBJ/Pitts.

Filatov for Jordan Staal.

Jackets need a center and Staal would fit into their pay scheme nicely. His contract isn't such that it would inhibit the flexibility of re-signing Nash.

Pitts. needs a scoring winger who doesn't cost much. Also frees up some cap room for the Pens.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 03:50 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashmarks View Post
Filatov for Jordan Staal.

Jackets need a center and Staal would fit into their pay scheme nicely. His contract isn't such that it would inhibit the flexibility of re-signing Nash.

Pitts. needs a scoring winger who doesn't cost much. Also frees up some cap room for the Pens.
Um... if I'm the Pens i do that in a second. Which means the value is off and there's no chance of it happening.

This is the definition of my wildest dream.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

I doubt CBJ does it, but Pit would be pretty tempted. especially cause of his 1.3M Cap hit.

Ragamuffin Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 03:59 PM
finkbiner

Columbus doesn't do this

finkbiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Nope.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:01 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDeriMISSILE View Post
Um... if I'm the Pens i do that in a second. Which means the value is off and there's no chance of it happening.

This is the definition of my wildest dream.
For both sides. Forget about Filatov's hattrick the other night, how long is it until Filatov can be a reliable top 6 player in the league? 1 year, perhaps 2? In that time, they can draft another young guy, have him seasoning and be ready in the virtually the same span.

Meahwhile, the get a young guy with a very reasonable contract that could be the #2 in the jackets lineup with Brassard as their #1.

Good for both sides. I don't think this is out to lunch as you might initially think.

Old
01-13-2009, 04:01 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkbiner View Post
Columbus doesn't do this
Explain why not?

Old
01-13-2009, 04:03 PM
bohlmeister
Horny for Offense!

vCash: 400
I think both teams do this. Maybe Pittsburgh doesn't. Staal is a Hitchcock type player, and would look very good along side Nash. Fair for both sides IMO.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:04 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
For both sides. Forget about Filatov's hattrick the other night, how long is it until Filatov can be a reliable top 6 player in the league? 1 year, perhaps 2? In that time, they can draft another young guy, have him seasoning and be ready in the virtually the same span.

Meahwhile, the get a young guy with a very reasonable contract that could be the #2 in the jackets lineup with Brassard as their #1.

Good for both sides. I don't think this is out to lunch as you might initially think.
I wouldn't say it's out to lunch, but there's no way CBJ trades a guy they just drafted this year top 5. The value right now may be close, but long-term i think CBJ will take their chances.

Old
01-13-2009, 04:09 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
I wouldn't say it's out to lunch, but there's no way CBJ trades a guy they just drafted this year top 5. The value right now may be close, but long-term i think CBJ will take their chances.
Why not? The jackets need a center and they need him now. Even before Brassard went down they were in need. Now with Novotny out, they are down three. Their other centers are:

Malholtra: UFA at years end
Peca: UFA at years end
Novonty: RFA at years end

Other than Malholtra possibly as a 3/4 center, they aren't going to resign these other guys.

They don't have any other centers brewing in Syracuse. They are void of centers in that org. Their depth is on the wing--LW to be precise.

Staal is young guy on the way up who has just been given a very reasonable contract. They need to start getting some center's in their org. and fast. Staal is a perfect candidate.

Everyone keep saying that you have to give up something to get something, and the jackets biggest need is at center, not on the wing. A flashy winger is much easier to come by than a solid young two center. Especially with a contract like that.

It would suck to lose Filatov and see him go on to greatness in a few years, but the near future has to be addressed for the jackets, and this trade would do so.

Old
01-13-2009, 04:14 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Why not? The jackets need a center and they need him now. Even before Brassard went down they were in need. Now with Novotny out, they are down three. Their other centers are:

Malholtra: UFA at years end
Peca: UFA at years end
Novonty: RFA at years end

Other than Malholtra possibly as a 3/4 center, they aren't going to resign these other guys.

They don't have any other centers brewing in Syracuse. They are void of centers in that org. Their depth is on the wing--LW to be precise.

Staal is young guy on the way up who has just been given a very reasonable contract. They need to start getting some center's in their org. and fast. Staal is a perfect candidate.

Everyone keep saying that you have to give up something to get something, and the jackets biggest need is at center, not on the wing. A flashy winger is much easier to come by than a solid young two center. Especially with a contract like that.

It would suck to lose Filatov and see him go on to greatness in a few years, but the near future has to be addressed for the jackets, and this trade would do so.
Listen, I like Staal a lot, and I like Filatov a lot. I just think that they could get a center at or near Staal's level by giving up less. It just seems to me from an outsider's perspective that Filatov is untouchable (didn't your owner say something to this effect?).

Old
01-13-2009, 04:23 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Listen, I like Staal a lot, and I like Filatov a lot. I just think that they could get a center at or near Staal's level by giving up less. It just seems to me from an outsider's perspective that Filatov is untouchable (didn't your owner say something to this effect?).
Like whom? I would be curious to see what names you could come up with. Stajan perhaps? He might be one that could be had for less, and if they can get him, I don't doubt they will be giving it a go.

One of the things that makes Staal even more attractive to this point, however, is his new contract.

I don't think Filatov is untouchable at all and I don't care what Howson has said in the papers. He also said he wasn't looking to trade Zherdev. It just has to be the right deal for the club now, and in the future.

Upgrading the jackets at center wouldn't be too difficult, but to get a young guy to grow with the rest of your youth would be ideal. Staal could be that guy.

Old
01-13-2009, 04:25 PM
finkbiner

Quote:
Explain why not?
Staal isn't capable of 1st line duties IMO. He is a great depth player, but Filatov will be better than him If not even next year, by the start of 2010/11 for sure. And yes Columbus needs a center, but they can get one of similar quality for less i think

finkbiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:29 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkbiner View Post
Staal isn't capable of 1st line duties IMO. He is a great depth player, but Filatov will be better than him If not even next year, by the start of 2010/11 for sure. And yes Columbus needs a center, but they can get one of similar quality for less i think
Staal is better than any center the jackets have, save Brassard. They don't have anyone else in their system coming up. Staal in the 2-hole would allow the jackets to put RJ on the wing where he is more effective. (I don't think I ever said Staal would be, or is, a number one center).

Filatov will no doubt be a better goal scorer than Staal, but there are things Staal will be doing better than Filatov (and already does) in a year or two as well.

Old
01-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Explain why not?
Filatov has way more potential than Staal. I've seen both of them enough (Filatov in CSKA and Staal at the Pens) to be sure of that. This guy can become the next Bure, at least Kovalev. If you're Columbus you don't torpedo your build/rebuild.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:34 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Like whom? I would be curious to see what names you could come up with. Stajan perhaps? He might be one that could be had for less, and if they can get him, I don't doubt they will be giving it a go.

One of the things that makes Staal even more attractive to this point, however, is his new contract.

I don't think Filatov is untouchable at all and I don't care what Howson has said in the papers. He also said he wasn't looking to trade Zherdev. It just has to be the right deal for the club now, and in the future.

Upgrading the jackets at center wouldn't be too difficult, but to get a young guy to grow with the rest of your youth would be ideal. Staal could be that guy.
Antropov can play center, maybe Sedin (although you might have to get the brother too), Cammalleri. I'm just picking UFA's here.

Filatov would be the absolute perfect fit for a winger in Pittsburgh. He's exactly what we need. A young player, signed for a few years at a cheap rate, with incredible potential. Malkin and Gonchar could help him transition to a new team, being Russian and he'd get to play with Sid or Geno right off the bat I would think.

I hope that your management thinks as highly of Staal as you do. And like I said, the value is pretty fair right now, but i just think in a few years Filatov is going to be the better player already.

Old
01-13-2009, 04:39 PM
hashmarks

No doubt there are UFA centers out there, but not many young guys who are currently solid NHL players and would fit in nicely long-ish term with the jackets AND with such reasonable contracts such as Staals'.

Jackets have a big hole in center and Staal would fill that hole for the next several years and could grow with the team. The guys you named would also help, but if you look at both teams (Pitts. and CBJ's) it is almost a perfect fit for both.

It isn't that I think Staal is the end all and be all, I just think it is a really good fit for both sides. Like I said, it would suck to see Filatov lighting it up with those guys, but it wouldn't suck as bad to see Nash and Staal dominating down low and the jackets turning into legit contenders in the years to come. Staal would fill a need the jackets have had for years.

Plus, it sure makes more sense than the idiotic: Filatov for Kaberle type garbage that gets floated out there!

Old
01-13-2009, 04:45 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
It isn't that I think Staal is the end all and be all, I just think it is a really good fit for both sides. Like I said, it would suck to see Filatov lighting it up with those guys, but it wouldn't suck as bad to see Nash and Staal dominating down low and the jackets turning into legit contenders in the years to come. Staal would fill a need the jackets have had for years.
Staal would work out very nicely in Hitchcock's system as well, I would think. Hey, if this deal goes down I guess it just shows that both of us would be very happy fans!

Old
01-13-2009, 04:49 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Staal would work out very nicely in Hitchcock's system as well, I would think. Hey, if this deal goes down I guess it just shows that both of us would be very happy fans!
That is why I think it is a fair deal for both sides. The though of trading Filatov makes me feel kind of sick, but then the thought of Staal coming over and filling our largest hole makes me be able to not throw up completely

Old
01-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Sorry

Nash, teamed with the player Staal has the potential to be, would be a pretty formidable duo. Talk about size up front.

Sorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 04:56 PM
embracedbias

So no Staal and Filatov, what about this:

Toronto: Goloubef, 2nd rounder

Columbus: Stajan (signed for 1.75 mill until 09/10)

Stajan is certainly not a first line center on most teams, but he could be very valuable in terms of a push for the playoffs (considering the lack of centerman).

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:02 PM
AK

It makes infinite sense, positionally speaking, for both teams.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:07 PM
36crazyfists

i'd say for sure a good trade for both teams...nash and staal would make a solid tandem, clb would acquire a #1 centre, a powerplay centre and a solid penalty killer...pens would acquire that winger they're lacking to play with kid...i'd say a solid trade both sides

36crazyfists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36crazyfists View Post
i'd say for sure a good trade for both teams...nash and staal would make a solid tandem, clb would acquire a #1 centre, a powerplay centre and a solid penalty killer...pens would acquire that winger they're lacking to play with kid...i'd say a solid trade both sides
Oh, do they get Crosby or Malkin as well?

Because Jordan Staal hasn't shown that he qualifies.

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2009, 05:23 PM
wej20

CBJ don't need a number one centre they need a good number two to have a nice tandem.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote